00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

YoungInfamous just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Homeless people dumpster diving

2,246 Views | 27 Replies

Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-15 17:42:24

Have you ever seen a homeless person dumpster diving?

I don't think I have but my city has a pretty big homeless population.

My friend works at a bakery and every few months a homeless person comes in the garbage area behind the bakery and goes dumpster diving. He's actually seen a homeless guy do it and said he was even smiling when he was doing it, and my friend said he just backed away and got scared. He said that there was no purpose to call the police unless the homeless came into the bakery kitchen, where many knives are at, and threatened them. He did say a while ago a homeless person was arrested for tresspassing for doing dumpster diving at the bakery, and the county jail is only a few blocks away. It makes more sense. Jail sounds a little better than being homeless but then again I've never been to jail. My friend who works at the bakery did 10 days in jail and said they're both kind of bad but homelessness sounds a bit worse than a few months of county jail.

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-15 17:53:31

at least in jail you get fed and have a warm place to sleep. being homeless is another hell altogether. definitely the worse of two evils.

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-15 17:56:19

I've never seen anyone do any dumpster diving, but I've always considered doing it myself, especially after watching a bunch of those Gamestop dumpster diving videos.

BBS Signature

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-15 18:05:18

I feel bad for homeless people, unless they ask me for money, fuck those guys.

BBS Signature

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-15 19:13:33

I always give cash to homeless people
I'd want them to if I were homeless

The High Bunny Council Awaits

BBS Signature

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-15 20:13:21

Stores which sell food will throw away food that hasn't yet spoiled. As a result, homeless people will forage in their dumpsters in order to find free food. I don't know why it bothers you so much. If you want the food, you'll just need to get it before they do.

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-15 21:44:07

At 6/15/15 07:09 PM, NippleManOfMilk wrote:
At 6/15/15 05:53 PM, PussyShark wrote: at least in jail you get fed and have a warm place to sleep. being homeless is another hell altogether. definitely the worse of two evils.
I'm reminded of the man who, unable to afford treatment the normal way, stole one dollar from a bank so he could receive medical treatment in jail. I realize this has nothing to do with the homeless or dumpster diving, but him choosing jail over his daily hell seems relevant.

sounds like a very interesting read. if only at the least to underatand how tf you steal a dollar from a bank, most monetary transactions occur hand to hand and in correct amounts. I can't even picture the theft of one dollar.

I can't find the article that I read on this, but apparently most people who become homeless only stay so for a short period. Most homeless even have jobs, so for many, jail wouldn't be a good idea. As for the long term homeless, a great deal of them have mental illnesses that, in addition to probably keeping them homeless, stop them from considering jail. Many more become accustomed to the lifestyle; you can get used to most anything after a while. You'd think they'd use homeless shelters, until you go to one and realize how fucking horrible a place they are.

I've lived in a few homeless shelters before actually, as well as a rehab clinic and a chem free apartment, and I've met a lot of different people, a lot of dofferent kinds of homeless in varying degrees of homelessness. One guy was a trucker who was just living in one of the nicer ones as a way to save money, others were just living off the government in the form of a roof, daily meals and a bed. It really depends on the person. Me, I had no place to go after I stayed in jail for 111 days (refused to take the felony) and Arkansas isn't "home" enough to know enough people to stay with for a while (home is Melbourne FL for me, been stuck here quite a while). I literally had to work my way back up from nothing. Currently I'm a gas station clerk working on my CDL, I'm hoping to have saved enough money to start up college by 27 years old.
Others, however, just don't have the drive, might be too old to give a shit anymore, might have bad luck, but in a LOT of cases I've found that people are too acclimated to prison life to carry themselves in society. Would rather sling dope, sell CDs at a gas station or do whatever to get by and make it to the shelter before closing time to catch a bed.
One thing's for sure: the world can be a very scary place.

lol, quan tities. Cause it has tities in it.

heh heh. ha. HA. AhaHAHA, ha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHABAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.
BAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*cough*HAHA XD

At 6/15/15 10:43 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 6/15/15 05:53 PM, PussyShark wrote: at least in jail you get fed and have a warm place to sleep. being homeless is another hell altogether. definitely the worse of two evils.
personally i'd rather die starving and enduring the extreme weather than going to jail and getting shanked by all the male inmates...

you're talking about prison. that doesn't happen in jail.
drunk people go to jail. driving on a suspended license puts you in jail. believe it or not, there are actually some decent people in jail. and anyway, you couldn't shank someone in jail if you tried, its usually an open barracks of 30-40 inmates, no one gets away with anything.

murderers, rapists, child molesters, hardcore drug dealers, THAT'S prison. prison is like a giant YMCA for bad people. there's a yard, weight lifting equipment, jobs, you have an easier time moving around. it's a scary place. someone like you would be forced into a bikini tattoo.

At 6/15/15 10:48 PM, PussyShark wrote:
At 6/15/15 10:43 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: personally i'd rather die starving and enduring the extreme weather than going to jail and getting shanked by all the male inmates...

Haha I was just about to say that. Jail really ain't shit. I mean, don't get me wrong, jail still sucks and all, but it ain't THAT bad. Even in the nasty big city jails that isn't that likely to happen as long as you don't run your mouth and act like a punk.

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-15 23:07:19

At 6/15/15 10:55 PM, DJ-Ri wrote:
At 6/15/15 10:48 PM, PussyShark wrote:
At 6/15/15 10:43 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: personally i'd rather die starving and enduring the extreme weather than going to jail and getting shanked by all the male inmates...
Haha I was just about to say that. Jail really ain't shit. I mean, don't get me wrong, jail still sucks and all, but it ain't THAT bad. Even in the nasty big city jails that isn't that likely to happen as long as you don't run your mouth and act like a punk.

yeah, being in jail you will learn a LOT about types of "behavior science" you never knew about. the naive are helpless. but you'll learn. and it'll either turn you into something pathetic or it will make you a very, very angry person. the games people play to get what they want will change you. it'll either make you wiser for the real world or it will break you.

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-15 23:07:57

That is how I get all my Xbox one games . We just play them in Best buy .

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-15 23:33:59

At 6/15/15 11:24 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 6/15/15 10:55 PM, DJ-Ri wrote:
what i know i get from documentaries. they place padlocks in socks and bean people over the head. they take shaving razors and fashion them into weaponry..

it's not as safe as you would like to think. running one's mouth isnt the issue.. what people are being assaulted for are petty things like going into the wrong corner of a cell, or not being able to keep their part of the cell organized.

your cellmate sees a towel on the floor, you're paying a visit to the medic.

You've watched documentaries, I've actually been to jail. I'm telling you, it's not that bad as long as you're not a punk who runs his mouth to everyone.

At 6/15/15 11:47 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 6/15/15 11:33 PM, DJ-Ri wrote:
You've watched documentaries, I've actually been to jail. I'm telling you, it's not that bad as long as you're not a punk who runs his mouth to everyone.
what jail? it's bound to vary depending on which correctional facility you go to.

I've been to several in various cities, including San Francisco, San Bruno, Marin, and a few other places. The conditions do vary, with the smaller town jails tending to be a lot nicer than the ones in the big cities (at least in my experience, anyway.) I have never seen anyone get violently attacked in a jail by another inmate for no reason. The only time I've seen people get attacked by other inmates was because they were talking some shit and were basically asking for it. Even then, they usually didn't fuck them up that bad, and the deputies usually respond to those sort of incidents pretty quickly.

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-16 00:18:58

i have seen it a few times. usually i offer them some change or a beer

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-16 00:42:32

At 6/16/15 12:18 AM, HomicidalDragon wrote: i have seen it a few times. usually i offer them some change or a beer

Neither of those things will probably help them, and will likely make things worse.

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-16 00:43:12

At 6/16/15 12:42 AM, DJ-Ri wrote:
At 6/16/15 12:18 AM, HomicidalDragon wrote: i have seen it a few times. usually i offer them some change or a beer
Neither of those things will probably help them, and will likely make things worse.

Change helps. they can go eat and shit

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-16 00:43:48

At 6/16/15 12:43 AM, HomicidalDragon wrote: Change helps. they can go eat and shit

They get food stamps for that. Any change you give them will likely be spent on drugs/alcohol.

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-16 00:45:33

At 6/16/15 12:43 AM, DJ-Ri wrote: They get food stamps for that. Any change you give them will likely be spent on drugs/alcohol.

Damn, i need to become homeless if i can get drugs and alcohol from some one elses wallet

At 6/16/15 12:45 AM, HomicidalDragon wrote: Damn, i need to become homeless if i can get drugs and alcohol from some one elses wallet

Unfortunately, a lot of homeless folks in this country remain so precisely for that reason, and the people who continue to indiscriminately throw money at them are only enabling them, although often unwittingly. I know that most of those people have good intentions, but unfortunately that's just the reality of it.

If you genuinely want to help the homeless, give them a hand up, not a hand out.

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-16 00:52:58

i actually try to when i can. i have a suitcase full of warm sweaters
that i give out to homeless people in cold weather.

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-16 04:56:41

The problem, @DJ-Ri is you are assuming all the homeless people are the ones who are abusing the system.

It's because you see these aggressive panhandlers and such and you're (I believe wrongly) equating those with all the homeless people.

If someone is dumpster diving for food, they must be pretty desperate. If they had food stamps they'd just use those for fresh food instead of dumpster diving for potentially bad food, don't you think? And what makes you think everyone who needs food stamps even has food stamps, huh? I'm sure many who need it don't qualify for whatever reasons or don't know how to obtain it, in addition to some people abusing it.

There's a homeless man I've seen around here and he's never once panhandled or asked for a handout or anything that I've seen. In fact he actively avoids interactions and he refuses anything you try to give him. I would imagine he probably subsists via dumpster diving food since he refuses human interaction but who even knows. Point is you are wrongly equating the problem people, such as abusive panhandlers and scammers, with actual homeless people.

And you are taking your anger with the scammers out on actual homeless people who have done you no wrong. They simply exist.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-16 05:34:15

At 6/16/15 04:56 AM, NeonSpider wrote: The problem, @DJ-Ri is you are assuming all the homeless people are the ones who are abusing the system.

I'm not assuming that.

It's because you see these aggressive panhandlers and such and you're (I believe wrongly) equating those with all the homeless people.

I'm not equating all homeless people to aggressive panhandlers.

If someone is dumpster diving for food, they must be pretty desperate. If they had food stamps they'd just use those for fresh food instead of dumpster diving for potentially bad food, don't you think? And what makes you think everyone who needs food stamps even has food stamps, huh? I'm sure many who need it don't qualify for whatever reasons or don't know how to obtain it, in addition to some people abusing it.

You're assuming they are dumpster diving for food. I think it's probably more likely that they're doing it to find recyclables so they can turn them in for cash. I see them do that all the time out here. Also, if you're homeless and have no money to your name, you should be eligible for food stamps. The only way you wouldn't be eligible is if you have a history of abusing the system, or are a fugitive of the law.

If they don't know how to obtain it, then the people who want to "help" them by giving them change should probably help them find their way to the GA office instead so they can go get on that shit. I think showing someone how to get on food stamps is a hell of a lot better than giving them some change. It's not really hard, either. The process is fairly simple. You fill out a very simple form (which is conveniently provided in the language of your choice,) turn it in, they give you a date to come back to get your EBT card. Sometimes they can even do it for you on the same day, depending on their caseload.

There's a homeless man I've seen around here and he's never once panhandled or asked for a handout or anything that I've seen. In fact he actively avoids interactions and he refuses anything you try to give him. I would imagine he probably subsists via dumpster diving food since he refuses human interaction but who even knows. Point is you are wrongly equating the problem people, such as abusive panhandlers and scammers, with actual homeless people.

I'm not equating all homeless people with abusive panhandlers and scammers. Also, if some homeless dude refuses help, that's his choice. What are we supposed to do about it? The guy doesn't want help, so he doesn't get any. It's that simple.

And you are taking your anger with the scammers out on actual homeless people who have done you no wrong. They simply exist.

I'm not really taking my anger out on them at all. In fact I have been pretty kind to the few decent homeless folks I've met and have on a number of occasions tried to help them out by giving them food, explaining to them how to get an EBT card, telling them about how easy it is to get odd jobs moving furniture and shit like that, etc. My views have nothing to do with anger. Some problems just can't be fixed simply by throwing money at them. I believe that the best way to help the homeless is to empower them to help themselves, and you don't do that by giving them change on the street.

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-16 06:07:30

At 6/16/15 05:34 AM, DJ-Ri wrote: You're assuming they are dumpster diving for food.

Because that's what this thread is about. If it was about dumpster diving for other things, that would have been mentioned in the OP. He's talking about dumpster diving a bakery. What will you mostly find there? Bread.

If the guy was dumpster diving, say, an electronics shop we could assume very different things about him than if he's dumpster diving a bakery.

I think it's probably more likely that they're doing it to find recyclables so they can turn them in for cash.

Possible. But again, this thread is about the specific case where they're dumpster diving for food, or at least it's the specific case the OP mentioned. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with that either. It's providing a useful service and is a legitimate way to make money, even if far from glamorous.

Also, if you're homeless and have no money to your name, you should be eligible for food stamps. The only way you wouldn't be eligible is if you have a history of abusing the system, or are a fugitive of the law.

There could possibly be other ways as well. Perhaps you "don't exist" according to the government, for whatever reasons. Perhaps you are both mute and illiterate. Perhaps you're an undocumented immigrant. There are possibilities and we can't know everyone's story or situation or predicament.

I'm not really taking my anger out on them at all. In fact I have been pretty kind to the few decent homeless folks I've met and have on a number of occasions tried to help them out by giving them food, explaining to them how to get an EBT card, telling them about how easy it is to get odd jobs moving furniture and shit like that, etc.

And have you actually helped them to do any of that? Pointing them in the right direction of how to obtain an EBT card is good. Telling them how easy it is to get a job *without* yourself offering them a job is bad. Never tell someone to get a job *unless* you follow that up with offering them a job yourself. If you yourself wish to hire homeless people for whatever reasons, go for it. That's up to you.

My views have nothing to do with anger. Some problems just can't be fixed simply by throwing money at them. I believe that the best way to help the homeless is to empower them to help themselves, and you don't do that by giving them change on the street.

I never said to just throw money at them. I do think you're oversimplifying things though. It's very easy to say "yeah it's easy to get out of that bad situation" when you yourself are not presently in that bad situation. It's like rich people saying poor people should just buy money.

I'm not saying all the homeless people are good people or that there aren't a lot of scammers and so forth. But I am saying it's a bit unfair to judge them all if you yourself are not one of them, don't you think? And I personally don't know all their stories or how they got where they are. Surely for many it's because of their own fault but I can't assume that's the case for all. And I'm sure there are some who simply have lived lives of unfortunate events which really weren't their fault.

At 6/16/15 06:07 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 6/16/15 05:34 AM, DJ-Ri wrote:
Because that's what this thread is about. If it was about dumpster diving for other things, that would have been mentioned in the OP. He's talking about dumpster diving a bakery. What will you mostly find there? Bread.

If the guy was dumpster diving, say, an electronics shop we could assume very different things about him than if he's dumpster diving a bakery.

Or maybe it was just one of several locations that this individual had checked dumpsters/garbage bins for recyclables. I think that's a far more realistic scenario. Also, the OP didn't explicitly mention food.

Possible. But again, this thread is about the specific case where they're dumpster diving for food, or at least it's the specific case the OP mentioned. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with that either. It's providing a useful service and is a legitimate way to make money, even if far from glamorous.

Is that what the thread is about? If the OP didn't specifically mention food, then I think it is safe to assume that the discussion is open to the interpretation that the dumpster diver may have been after recyclables.

There could possibly be other ways as well. Perhaps you "don't exist" according to the government, for whatever reasons. Perhaps you are both mute and illiterate. Perhaps you're an undocumented immigrant. There are possibilities and we can't know everyone's story or situation or predicament.

If you "don't exist," but want to exist in the United States, then it is advisable to make sure that you do "exist" first.

And have you actually helped them to do any of that? Pointing them in the right direction of how to obtain an EBT card is good. Telling them how easy it is to get a job *without* yourself offering them a job is bad. Never tell someone to get a job *unless* you follow that up with offering them a job yourself. If you yourself wish to hire homeless people for whatever reasons, go for it. That's up to you.

You're saying that telling someone how to get a job is bad? I've helped friends who were struggling financially by putting them on with some simple game like that, and they were able to pull through because of it. I've had others do the same for me and I appreciate it very much. They even have courses on this shit... Seriously, man?

I never said to just throw money at them. I do think you're oversimplifying things though. It's very easy to say "yeah it's easy to get out of that bad situation" when you yourself are not presently in that bad situation. It's like rich people saying poor people should just buy money.

Ok, you're not throwing the money at them, you're politely putting it in their hand instead... literally. The principle remains unchanged. Also, just because a person isn't presently in that situation does not necessarily invalidate their views on the subject. A person may have already been in that situation in the past and overcame that, either on their own or with some (genuine) help from someone who knew better than to simply give them change.

I'm not saying all the homeless people are good people or that there aren't a lot of scammers and so forth. But I am saying it's a bit unfair to judge them all if you yourself are not one of them, don't you think? And I personally don't know all their stories or how they got where they are. Surely for many it's because of their own fault but I can't assume that's the case for all. And I'm sure there are some who simply have lived lives of unfortunate events which really weren't their fault.

What's so judgmental about showing someone how to make some money as opposed to just giving them some money - which one may not even have to give them in the first place? I don't know all their stories, and I don't assume to know them. That's their business. I don't feel any obligation to give a person I don't know money. I sometimes do feel an obligation to show someone how to make some.

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-16 08:09:00

At 6/16/15 06:35 AM, DJ-Ri wrote: Or maybe it was just one of several locations that this individual had checked dumpsters/garbage bins for recyclables. I think that's a far more realistic scenario. Also, the OP didn't explicitly mention food.

Regardless, *I* was specifically referring to the case where someone is dumpster diving for food as I explicitly mentioned that and only that case in that first post. I am well aware people dumpster dive for other reasons as I myself have done on occasion.

Is that what the thread is about? If the OP didn't specifically mention food, then I think it is safe to assume that the discussion is open to the interpretation that the dumpster diver may have been after recyclables.

See above. Also, nothing wrong with doing it for recyclables though but that wasn't the specific case I was talking about.

If you "don't exist," but want to exist in the United States, then it is advisable to make sure that you do "exist" first.

Maybe. Maybe not. You don't necessarily know everyone's situation and I still think you're oversimplifying things.

You're saying that telling someone how to get a job is bad?

Telling someone to get a job is bad. It's unhelpful, leads to resentment, and ultimately only makes you feel good about yourself when you've been of precisely zero practical use to those who need it. It's asinine. It assumes that jobs are easy to come by or that anyone could easily get a job when that's not necessarily the case. I don't blame someone for physically attacking someone for it.

If, on the other hand, you actually help them get a job or offer them a job yourself, rather than being asinine this would be legitimately helpful. Whether they take up your offer or not is on them but never tell someone to get a job without offering them a job unless you have a death wish.

I've helped friends who were struggling financially by putting them on with some simple game like that, and they were able to pull through because of it. I've had others do the same for me and I appreciate it very much. They even have courses on this shit... Seriously, man?

Yes, seriously. Unless you yourself help them get a job you're just being an asshole telling them "get a job". It helps no one. You're just making yourself feel good at their expense and they're already homeless.

Ok, you're not throwing the money at them, you're politely putting it in their hand instead... literally. The principle remains unchanged.

I'm more likely to put food or a means to obtain food (but not money) in their hand. I believe everyone should have that. An example of a means to obtain food that isn't money would be gift cards to food places. Or a free food coupon. It's only usable for food.

Also, just because a person isn't presently in that situation does not necessarily invalidate their views on the subject. A person may have already been in that situation in the past and overcame that, either on their own or with some (genuine) help from someone who knew better than to simply give them change.

I don't believe you sympathize with their plight. You seem to view them more as simply a social nuisance who occasionally annoys you, at best. I'll agree I don't particularly like being around them much, but they're human too and they have needs.

What's so judgmental about showing someone how to make some money as opposed to just giving them some money - which one may not even have to give them in the first place?

Are you legitimately showing them how to make money though? Are you really? Or are you just being the typical judgmental asshole that just screams "get a job" at all of them, without providing a means for them to do that, as if that helps anything? I mean if you're legitimately helping them earn money, that's laudable. Somehow I get more the impression of the latter though.

I don't know all their stories, and I don't assume to know them. That's their business. I don't feel any obligation to give a person I don't know money. I sometimes do feel an obligation to show someone how to make some.

As long as you're legitimately showing them how to make money and not just being all haughty flaunting money and telling them to "get a job" while providing no realistic means for them to do so. Primarily that is why you should never tell someone that unless you yourself either offer a job or connect them with someone who will -- basically have a way to line up a job for them. Otherwise it's asinine at best.

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-17 08:38:22

I got most of the older members of my fleet by picking up machines that people would otherwise set out to the trash or recycle.

QuakeNet channel #newgrounds.com! Stop by and say hey.

-- sedrosken, formerly known as MR-DOS

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-17 19:04:33

At 6/16/15 08:09 AM, NeonSpider wrote: Also, nothing wrong with doing it for recyclables though but that wasn't the specific case I was talking about.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with that.

Maybe. Maybe not. You don't necessarily know everyone's situation and I still think you're oversimplifying things.

I know I don't know their situation and I don't pretend to.

Telling someone to get a job is bad. It's unhelpful, leads to resentment, and ultimately only makes you feel good about yourself when you've been of precisely zero practical use to those who need it.

Except when they actually take your advice, find a job, and start making some money.

It's asinine. It assumes that jobs are easy to come by or that anyone could easily get a job when that's not necessarily the case.

Jobs aren't that hard to come by. You can easily get work doing odd jobs moving furniture, painting fences, mowing lawns, walking dogs, etc. There is countless opportunities to make money, even if you're an unskilled dimwit. They might not be high paying jobs, but it sure beats being broke and depending on others for handouts. If, on the other hand, you're physically disabled and unable to do those things, that's what SSDI is for.

I don't blame someone for physically attacking someone for it.

Wait, what? Did I read that right?

If, on the other hand, you actually help them get a job or offer them a job yourself, rather than being asinine this would be legitimately helpful. Whether they take up your offer or not is on them but never tell someone to get a job without offering them a job unless you have a death wish.

What do you think telling someone about those sort of job opportunities is?

If I tell someone that there's people on Craigslist right now that need help moving furniture and are willing to pay them upwards of $20 per hour to do it for them, I think that would count as helping them find a job. If I tell someone that a local moving business is looking for helpers right now, and that they could care less what your background or experience is, that is helping them find a job. If I tell someone that my neighbor needs someone to mow their lawn or help them with yard work, that is helping them find a job.

Yes, seriously. Unless you yourself help them get a job you're just being an asshole telling them "get a job". It helps no one. You're just making yourself feel good at their expense and they're already homeless.

I guess all those voc-ed teachers are assholes too, then. I mean, how dare they have the audacity to train people on how to get jobs? Those lousy assholes! They're just trying to make themselves feel good at the expense of others! Lol.

I'm more likely to put food or a means to obtain food (but not money) in their hand. I believe everyone should have that. An example of a means to obtain food that isn't money would be gift cards to food places. Or a free food coupon. It's only usable for food.

It's not necessarily wrong to give someone food instead of money, but you must bear in mind that there already exists a multitude of ways that a person in that situation can get food (and many other essential things, for that matter) through government benefit programs, food drives and private charities.

I think that even most homeless folks could tell you (honestly, that is) that the vast majority of the time, they're not out begging for change because they're hungry. They're doing it because they need some quick cash to get drunk or get high. That is the unfortunate reality of it, no matter what you believe. I've actually met quite a few who were honest enough to admit to me that the only reason they wanted me to give them some change was so they could go to the liquor store and buy a 24 oz can of 211.

I don't believe you sympathize with their plight. You seem to view them more as simply a social nuisance who occasionally annoys you, at best. I'll agree I don't particularly like being around them much, but they're human too and they have needs.

Believe what you will. I've already stated my position on the matter.

Are you legitimately showing them how to make money though? Are you really?

Yup!

Or are you just being the typical judgmental asshole that just screams "get a job" at all of them, without providing a means for them to do that, as if that helps anything?

Nope!

I mean if you're legitimately helping them earn money, that's laudable. Somehow I get more the impression of the latter though.

I'm not sure why you would get that impression, given that I explained that I actually tell people about jobs they could get, rather than simply telling them to get one, but OK.

As long as you're legitimately showing them how to make money and not just being all haughty flaunting money and telling them to "get a job" while providing no realistic means for them to do so. Primarily that is why you should never tell someone that unless you yourself either offer a job or connect them with someone who will -- basically have a way to line up a job for them. Otherwise it's asinine at best.

You don't necessarily have to connect them with the job yourself, but you can tell them about it so that they can connect themselves. If I tell someone there's someone on Craigslist right now looking for help with various odd jobs, they can visit the local library, go on CL and get in contact with those people. I'm simply letting them know that these opportunities exist. I'm sure that any sane person can agree that telling someone about a job they could easily do that could pay them upwards of $20 an hour is a lot better than giving them some spare change.

Response to Homeless people dumpster diving 2015-06-17 21:39:47

Ever think those people might not be homeless, and just might like free stuff? You can find some nice stuff by doing some digging.