00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New music theory Idea

461 Views | 10 Replies

New music theory Idea 2015-06-06 00:36:00

I have been thinking, what if there was a metal band that played in irrational time signatures? I mean we've all seen stuff like 4/4 time and 6/8 time. And some djent bands have experimented with 7/4 and 52/16 time, but these have always been rational fractions. What if a band out there started doing crazy shit like √19/8 time? That would be so br00t4l. And why even stop at that? Not only would it be br00t4l for a band to have an irrational amount of beats in a measure, but let's also stray away from the standard quarter, eighth, and sixteenth notes. A time signature like √17/5 would be even MORE djent! Discuss.

I have been listening to too much Animals as Leaders

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to New music theory Idea 2015-06-06 00:47:22

At 6/6/15 12:45 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: what if music was upside down

Then we would need to stand on our heads to hear it.

Response to New music theory Idea 2015-06-06 00:51:26

At 6/6/15 12:47 AM, Bit wrote:
At 6/6/15 12:45 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: what if music was upside down
Then we would need to stand on our heads to hear it.

Anything that makes moshing more uncomfortable I'm game for.

Response to New music theory Idea 2015-06-06 01:01:12

But if a measure has an irrational number of beats, how do you denote it on a score?
There is no notation for a note that lasts for the square root of 17 beats.

If I want to make my music difficult to play, I would use 2/2 with a pretissimo mark.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to New music theory Idea 2015-06-06 01:05:08

Man that would be hard to play.

Response to New music theory Idea 2015-06-06 01:21:42

At 6/6/15 01:15 AM, Sekhem wrote:
At 6/6/15 01:01 AM, Sobolev wrote: But if a measure has an irrational number of beats, how do you denote it on a score?
check out some of ferneyhough's scores

it's not really that interesting though and it all sounds like garbage

not surprising that djent metal bands are in a similar race to the bottom

Race to the bottom? Do you know how much money companies like Ibanez and Jackson are making off of selling 8-string guitars to obsessive djent kids?

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to New music theory Idea 2015-06-06 01:23:54

Animals first record really superseded all that, unfortunately now they're just like every other djent band. Personally I usually use off time signatures when I write music because that's what I hear in my head, I just go with what I hear. I'm not trying to be brutal, but I can't speak for the other musicians.

You might want to check out UNEVEN STRUCTURE if you haven't already. They have a really atmospheric sound and is much different from every other djent band. It's pretty much the only band I even listen too anymore.

Response to New music theory Idea 2015-06-06 01:30:22

At 6/6/15 01:23 AM, MechanicalFox wrote: check out UNEVEN STRUCTURE if you haven't already. They have a really atmospheric sound and is much different from every other djent band. It's pretty much the only band I even listen too anymore.

Lel, Uneven Structure ain't djent. They're thall.

New music theory Idea

STEAM

BBS Signature

Response to New music theory Idea 2015-06-06 01:36:50

What the hell is this, I'm so confused and it's so early too

BBS Signature

Response to New music theory Idea 2015-06-06 04:47:16

I don't know but I'm interested. So basically bands that use greater-than-6-string guitars?
Couldn't you get the same effect with more guitarists, all with 6-string guitars, although some of them tuned differently, though?

Also I seem to have this idea in the back of my head that you could make some awesome music with organized chaos, or chaotic order? And yes I realize this probably doesn't make any sense to anyone else.

Think about it though -- pure chaos and you just have noise -- static precisely.
Pure order and you have some boring progression.
Mix and mesh the two in the right amounts ... what happens then?

I'm onto something, yeah?

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to New music theory Idea 2015-06-06 05:28:19

At 6/6/15 05:14 AM, Vixuzar wrote: I've no idea what you're talking about OP.

+1 posting is the future.

Don't you forget it.