00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

shmh just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

First Digital Art/"Fan Art"

562 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

First Digital Art/"Fan Art" 2015-06-01 20:28:55

This was my attempt at a chibi version of Scar from The Lion King... I'm sort of trying to find an area of digital art that I like and I thought I would start off simple! So, how can I improve in general at using a graphics tablet? Just throw any tips at me that you can think of! I've been watching some youtube videos to figure out photoshop etc! I really want to try anime related things, getting better at backgrounds/landscapes and trying to make realistic characters :P

First Digital Art/

Response to First Digital Art/"Fan Art" 2015-06-01 20:34:30

At 6/1/15 08:28 PM, JayeBrady wrote: This was my attempt at a chibi version of Scar from The Lion King... I'm sort of trying to find an area of digital art that I like and I thought I would start off simple! So, how can I improve in general at using a graphics tablet? Just throw any tips at me that you can think of! I've been watching some youtube videos to figure out photoshop etc! I really want to try anime related things, getting better at backgrounds/landscapes and trying to make realistic characters :P

The gradient shading is pretty good. I would suggest using select tools to your advantage. For example with the tail, using a select tool could make the shadows easier and fuller without concern of going off the lines. Also I've recently gotten into using stabilizers for line art, which I highly recommend, it makes life so much easier, and lines so much better.

Response to First Digital Art/"Fan Art" 2015-06-01 20:43:49

At 6/1/15 08:34 PM, Jetly wrote:
At 6/1/15 08:28 PM, JayeBrady wrote: This was my attempt at a chibi version of Scar from The Lion King... I'm sort of trying to find an area of digital art that I like and I thought I would start off simple! So, how can I improve in general at using a graphics tablet? Just throw any tips at me that you can think of! I've been watching some youtube videos to figure out photoshop etc! I really want to try anime related things, getting better at backgrounds/landscapes and trying to make realistic characters :P
The gradient shading is pretty good. I would suggest using select tools to your advantage. For example with the tail, using a select tool could make the shadows easier and fuller without concern of going off the lines. Also I've recently gotten into using stabilizers for line art, which I highly recommend, it makes life so much easier, and lines so much better.

Thank you for the feedback! Yeah I ended up rushing that part quite a bit, I'll definitely use the selection tool more since adding shadow etc is frustrating on the intuos without a selection tool! Do you recommend using PaintTool SAI for linework since I think that might be better for me :)

Response to First Digital Art/"Fan Art" 2015-06-01 20:46:11

Thank you for the feedback! Yeah I ended up rushing that part quite a bit, I'll definitely use the selection tool more since adding shadow etc is frustrating on the intuos without a selection tool! Do you recommend using PaintTool SAI for linework since I think that might be better for me :)

Oh, I love sai! you can make some really great lines with it and the stabilizer is top notch.

Response to First Digital Art/"Fan Art" 2015-06-01 23:31:18

At 6/1/15 08:28 PM, JayeBrady wrote: So, how can I improve in general at using a graphics tablet? Just throw any tips at me that you can think of! I've been watching some youtube videos to figure out photoshop etc! I really want to try anime related things, getting better at backgrounds/landscapes and trying to make realistic characters :P

Improve by practicing. That's all there is to it. Took some time to get used to my Wacom Bamboo.

Anatomy is always something to work on, especially when you want to draw something more realistic.

I can't make a really good judgement based off of this one piece. So draw more !

Response to First Digital Art/"Fan Art" 2015-06-02 21:19:50

So I still need to get PaintTool SAI for the line work but here is another drawing I did :)

First Digital Art/