00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

can you get a job easily for art?

684 Views | 20 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

can you get a job easily for art? 2015-05-29 12:16:48

ive been doing some research and seen some job sites where they hire graphic designers or artists for their projects

and I was curious if any of you ever worked as a graphic designer/artist for a company and how its like/how good do you need to be?

do they require quick animations, detailed artworks, 3D?

cause I really don't think il ever consider 3D. photoshop/After effects and maybe flash are all I can handle

(would be awesome to see your artwork so I can take inspiration to become "that" good before I run off thinking im at my limit)

I don't fuckin know, you tell me

BBS Signature

Response to can you get a job easily for art? 2015-05-29 14:01:10

At 5/29/15 12:50 PM, ProdanDimitrow wrote:
If you are a GUI designer a lot of the times companies wont give 2 shits about your ability to draw and vice versa.

define "gui designer"?

Most of the time additional skills are required. For design you might be great with photoshop but they will require you to be great with illustrator and/or corel draw for example, same goes for 3D, animation etc.

and I have illustrator too. I thought they provide the programs/tablets btw. what, I need to bring my laptop to their office?

Another thing that is common is professional experience and its usually about a couple of years which is honestly stupid, how the fuck am i supposed to have job experience when i need job experience to get job experience.

lol I know right?!? gosh I hope a good portolfio will help match up their crazy demands

Companies that offer training dont seem to be that common.

so its rare for a company to offer a lil training and example of what we'll be working on?

Most importantly there seems to be a lot of competition.

well "great" lol guess il have to work a regular job and on my free time look for a company that I can actually compete with

BBS Signature

Response to can you get a job easily for art? 2015-05-29 14:26:35

Well first of all you need to manage the artistic skills first. You have to understand anatomy, composition, perspective, use of color etc. (you can find great (free) tutorials on these subjects at the Crtl Paint website)
Then you need to have an awesome, outstanding portfolio. Not artworks that are just well rendered, but artworks that really captures the attention of the viewer.
But what often helps too is having connections with people who already are active in the art world. Internet is very usefull for this.

On youtube you can find several interviews in which professional artists tell how they got their jobs.

But most importantly: Be motivated, and be ambitious. Because you'll have to work really hard.

Good luck!

Response to can you get a job easily for art? 2015-05-29 15:10:53

At 5/29/15 02:26 PM, IrmaZwart wrote: Well first of all you need to manage the artistic skills first. You have to understand anatomy, composition, perspective, use of color etc. (you can find great (free) tutorials on these subjects at the Crtl Paint website)
Then you need to have an awesome, outstanding portfolio. Not artworks that are just well rendered, but artworks that really captures the attention of the viewer.
But what often helps too is having connections with people who already are active in the art world. Internet is very usefull for this.

On youtube you can find several interviews in which professional artists tell how they got their jobs.

But most importantly: Be motivated, and be ambitious. Because you'll have to work really hard.

Good luck!

thanks! the site seems like a great help and il try and fill in my portfolio more

and im hoping to have some connections here. some people are pretty douche but its worth it cause I get useful advice like this

il try and look on YT about the videos. hopefully my artworks will make the cut

BBS Signature

Response to can you get a job easily for art? 2015-05-29 19:43:25

nothing's easy. The real question is is it worth it to you?

Response to can you get a job easily for art? 2015-05-29 22:16:34

Okay, I'm going to post the unpopular opinion here.

Yes.

Getting jobs as an artist is pretty damn easy, as long as you have some skill. I'm talking like C-grade skills on a standard F to A scale. You won't make crazy money if you're not awesome, but you can sustain yourself. I don't consider myself a great artist by any means - barely even a good artist, honestly - and I was making enough in freelance work to live month to month during college.

You have time to get better as you go along, but you HAVE to be dedicated. If you want a more permanent position, like at a design firm or something, you're going to need all the fancy stuff - high end flashy skills, great portfolio, up-to-date knowledge, and ancillary skills. But that all comes with time.

Now... Graphic design vs fine art.

The graphic design field is huge. I mean, it's enormous to the point where it sickens me. I was a fine art major. The fine art field is a bit more fierce. Illustration is more open, but also more competitive. 3D is the way to go if you are looking for money first and foremost, but to that I say - if you are looking for money, don't get into art.

(>'-')>

Response to can you get a job easily for art? 2015-06-01 02:29:18

At 5/29/15 12:16 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote: ive been doing some research and seen some job sites where they hire graphic designers or artists for their projects

and I was curious if any of you ever worked as a graphic designer/artist for a company and how its like/how good do you need to be?

do they require quick animations, detailed artworks, 3D?

cause I really don't think il ever consider 3D. photoshop/After effects and maybe flash are all I can handle

(would be awesome to see your artwork so I can take inspiration to become "that" good before I run off thinking im at my limit)

In my case, it's not easy to have a job based in my field which is Fine Arts. It's more like a strict level like you should really feel the art. Of course, you are free to do anything you want but the "income" I would get would be from its buyers. If you want to be a graphic designer or something like that, based from my observation your works needs to be, I don't know like awesome or something like that. Inspirations won't limit to artworks only. If you want to take inspirations, I advice you go outside. There's a lot of inspiration out there and that would be good since you will experience it first hand.
If the job would be quite hard to get you need to have something like a Plan B. On what I'm doing, I'm planning to study for Masters and do some part-time. :)

Response to can you get a job easily for art? 2015-06-05 02:38:24

At 5/29/15 10:16 PM, Zhon wrote: Okay, I'm going to post the unpopular opinion here.

Yes.

Getting jobs as an artist is pretty damn easy, as long as you have some skill. I'm talking like C-grade skills on a standard F to A scale. You won't make crazy money if you're not awesome, but you can sustain yourself. I don't consider myself a great artist by any means - barely even a good artist, honestly - and I was making enough in freelance work to live month to month during college.

oh, that is good to hear! I haven't quite qualified myself to be a master "realism" artist and such. so I started to feel concern!

and I am quite alright with the payment. it is loads better than working at a cashier. whereas at art i might earn slightly more. add to that learn and achieve more than that.

and doesn't managing college, work and bills prove difficult?

You have time to get better as you go along, but you HAVE to be dedicated. If you want a more permanent position, like at a design firm or something, you're going to need all the fancy stuff - high end flashy skills, great portfolio, up-to-date knowledge, and ancillary skills. But that all comes with time.

saying graphic designs deals in 3D as well and/or is bloody difficult for artists?

Now... Graphic design vs fine art.

The graphic design field is huge. I mean, it's enormous to the point where it sickens me. I was a fine art major. The fine art field is a bit more fierce. Illustration is more open, but also more competitive. 3D is the way to go if you are looking for money first and foremost, but to that I say - if you are looking for money, don't get into art.

you've said you managed with your job. to be honest im just grateful to put mine to for a job.

maybe one day il be able to work my way to the fields of graphic designs. but for now get my payment and maybe become an animator via my hobby. which by the way I heard pays better

BBS Signature

Response to can you get a job easily for art? 2015-06-05 02:44:11

At 6/1/15 02:29 AM, mspopsie21 wrote:
In my case, it's not easy to have a job based in my field which is Fine Arts. It's more like a strict level like you should really feel the art. Of course, you are free to do anything you want but the "income" I would get would be from its buyers. If you want to be a graphic designer or something like that, based from my observation your works needs to be, I don't know like awesome or something like that. Inspirations won't limit to artworks only. If you want to take inspirations, I advice you go outside. There's a lot of inspiration out there and that would be good since you will experience it first hand.
If the job would be quite hard to get you need to have something like a Plan B. On what I'm doing, I'm planning to study for Masters and do some part-time. :)

your income would be from its buyers. what does that mean? does fine arts mean doing commissions? I was sure it had something to relate to company and teams as well

yes I know. most of my work's been on an ipod or without a tablet at all. and most of my work had to go through "confirmation" and such here. just a loada trouble.

youll have to pardon me, im a little new to the whole fancy art words xP what does "study for masters" involve? and yeah ive considering part-time/ full time while I go look into it. rough road but its gotta do

BBS Signature

Response to can you get a job easily for art? 2015-06-05 11:57:28

At 6/5/15 02:44 AM, ProjectAwesomes wrote:
At 6/1/15 02:29 AM, mspopsie21 wrote:
your income would be from its buyers. what does that mean? does fine arts mean doing commissions? I was sure it had something to relate to company and teams as well

yes I know. most of my work's been on an ipod or without a tablet at all. and most of my work had to go through "confirmation" and such here. just a loada trouble.

youll have to pardon me, im a little new to the whole fancy art words xP what does "study for masters" involve? and yeah ive considering part-time/ full time while I go look into it. rough road but its gotta do

Fine arts is a department on my university, meaning we have our own majors in which mine is Painting. Other majors such as Advertising Arts are more on what you said that relates with companies or teams. With the "income coming from our buyers" part, it is because most of the alumni in my department are painters. You know painting in canvases with oil or any kind of mediums. Of course in that field, job would be really hard to get especially when your country is poor like mine. In some cases with our alumni of Painting they'll also work for advertising agencies even if that's not really what they studies but you know they need the job so they can support their families or other things they want.

In Fine Arts, it doesn't always have to do with commissions, I mean as a student some of us are already taking job for photography, part time animators. In my part, it's not exactly a commission since there are ready made artworks that I'll just sell such as on Art Fairs.

With the "study for the masters" it's just one of my plans after I graduate if I don't get a job. I'm not really advising you on that, I'm just sharing it to you. :)

Response to can you get a job easily for art? 2015-06-05 11:59:08

At 6/5/15 02:38 AM, ProjectAwesomes wrote: and doesn't managing college, work and bills prove difficult?

As the saying goes.... Education, money, fun - you can either have lots of two or little of three.

saying graphic designs deals in 3D as well and/or is bloody difficult for artists?

All art can connect really, but yes graphic design is heavily connected to 3D. If you want to make your own textures anyway.

maybe one day il be able to work my way to the fields of graphic designs. but for now get my payment and maybe become an animator via my hobby. which by the way I heard pays better

It's complicated. Each medium pays differently at different levels. But generally yes if you are skilled in animation you're going to make more money. 3D animation especially.

(>'-')>

Response to can you get a job easily for art? 2015-06-05 15:00:13

At 6/5/15 11:57 AM, mspopsie21 wrote:

Fine arts is a department on my university, meaning we have our own majors in which mine is Painting. Other majors such as Advertising Arts are more on what you said that relates with companies or teams. With the "income coming from our buyers" part, it is because most of the alumni in my department are painters. You know painting in canvases with oil or any kind of mediums. Of course in that field, job would be really hard to get especially when your country is poor like mine. In some cases with our alumni of Painting they'll also work for advertising agencies even if that's not really what they studies but you know they need the job so they can support their families or other things they want.

so fine arts are found in universities and are available only to students? plus im more into digital art. cant say i'm pleased with the idea of oil painting

In Fine Arts, it doesn't always have to do with commissions, I mean as a student some of us are already taking job for photography, part time animators. In my part, it's not exactly a commission since there are ready made artworks that I'll just sell such as on Art Fairs.

I see I see... so the customer/transaction are both found digitally

and your university opens up jobs for you? that seems pretty neat. I just hope I can find ones that involve animating or simply on making a cool realism artwork of something

With the "study for the masters" it's just one of my plans after I graduate if I don't get a job. I'm not really advising you on that, I'm just sharing it to you. :)

no no lol that's not what I meant Im just confused at what's it about. please share more :) your info is proving extremely useful to me

BBS Signature

Response to can you get a job easily for art? 2015-06-05 15:04:28

At 6/5/15 11:59 AM, Zhon wrote: As the saying goes.... Education, money, fun - you can either have lots of two or little of three.

so im guessing your scrapping the education/work for now huh

All art can connect really, but yes graphic design is heavily connected to 3D. If you want to make your own textures anyway.

so there's still some requirements for regular photoshop/etc artists. got it

It's complicated. Each medium pays differently at different levels. But generally yes if you are skilled in animation you're going to make more money. 3D animation especially.

lol idk what's robbing me more out of my job right now. 3D animation, or the fact that youtube made it impossible for animators to make a living out of it

BBS Signature

Response to can you get a job easily for art? 2015-06-05 15:06:50

At 5/29/15 02:26 PM, IrmaZwart wrote: Well first of all you need to manage the artistic skills first. You have to understand anatomy, composition, perspective, use of color etc. (you can find great (free) tutorials on these subjects at the Crtl Paint website)

Oooo I must thank you for the great site you've provided!
it really does feel like im being taught at a college, and ive yet to finish watching, and scrapping every knowledge I can muster

BBS Signature

Response to can you get a job easily for art? 2015-06-05 17:37:30

At 6/5/15 03:04 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote:
At 6/5/15 11:59 AM, Zhon wrote: As the saying goes.... Education, money, fun - you can either have lots of two or little of three.
so im guessing your scrapping the education/work for now huh

I graduated. It's all about money and fun these days.

so there's still some requirements for regular photoshop/etc artists. got it

Oh absolutely.

lol idk what's robbing me more out of my job right now. 3D animation, or the fact that youtube made it impossible for animators to make a living out of it

Well if you're not opposed to doing commercial animation as opposed to creative, you can always try freelancing websites. Tons of commercial animation projects there to get your name built up.

(>'-')>

Response to can you get a job easily for art? 2015-06-06 03:32:07

At 6/5/15 03:00 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote:
At 6/5/15 11:57 AM, mspopsie21 wrote:

so fine arts are found in universities and are available only to students? plus im more into digital art. cant say i'm pleased with the idea of oil painting

I see I see... so the customer/transaction are both found digitally

and your university opens up jobs for you? that seems pretty neat. I just hope I can find ones that involve animating or simply on making a cool realism artwork of something

no no lol that's not what I meant Im just confused at what's it about. please share more :) your info is proving extremely useful to me

Before, fine arts were only for sculptures/painting like using oil, acrylics, you know traditional ones but times have changed. We have to modernize things, that's why we also study about photography, flash animations, digital art. It's your choice if you want to pursue painting or other types of visual arts you want. As I mentioned, I major Painting, that's the thing I do most of the time.

My university opens up job fairs or career orientations so that us students can get a job after graduation. These are really hard times for us.

Response to can you get a job easily for art? 2015-06-06 04:20:53

At 6/5/15 03:06 PM, ProjectAwesomes wrote: Oooo I must thank you for the great site you've provided!
it really does feel like im being taught at a college, and ive yet to finish watching, and scrapping every knowledge I can muster

I'm glad it helped. These tutorials were really usefull for me too! Have a good time watching the other vids.

Response to can you get a job easily for art? 2015-06-07 00:05:53

At 6/5/15 05:37 PM, Zhon wrote:
Well if you're not opposed to doing commercial animation as opposed to creative, you can always try freelancing websites. Tons of commercial animation projects there to get your name built up.

that sounds pretty nice actually

have found a site which has people hiring graphic designers/ and such who use photoshop/animate so that's pretty awesome

BBS Signature

Response to can you get a job easily for art? 2015-06-07 00:09:17

At 6/6/15 03:32 AM, mspopsie21 wrote:

Before, fine arts were only for sculptures/painting like using oil, acrylics, you know traditional ones but times have changed. We have to modernize things, that's why we also study about photography, flash animations, digital art. It's your choice if you want to pursue painting or other types of visual arts you want. As I mentioned, I major Painting, that's the thing I do most of the time.

cool so I can muster out a job with digital/animation as well

My university opens up job fairs or career orientations so that us students can get a job after graduation. These are really hard times for us.

"after" graduation tho. I still doubt il be able to manage everything "and" studies...
and by hard time for us, you mean having to hold everything together, job, house, education or...?

BBS Signature

Response to can you get a job easily for art? 2015-06-07 00:09:58

At 6/6/15 04:20 AM, IrmaZwart wrote:

I'm glad it helped. These tutorials were really usefull for me too! Have a good time watching the other vids.

oh I most definitely will

BBS Signature

Response to can you get a job easily for art? 2015-06-07 03:19:35

At 6/7/15 12:09 AM, ProjectAwesomes wrote:
At 6/6/15 03:32 AM, mspopsie21 wrote:
"after" graduation tho. I still doubt il be able to manage everything "and" studies...
and by hard time for us, you mean having to hold everything together, job, house, education or...?

Pretty much yeah.