00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MrMeltingPoint just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

School Shooting.

3,117 Views | 48 Replies

School Shooting. 2015-05-25 16:45:26

Greetings I hope everyone is in good health. Just bouncing an idea of you all. If someone was to make a game based off all of the famous school shootings (university shootings and all other educational institutions also coming under this bracket), like Columbine, Virginia Tech, University of Texas Sniper Tower shootings, Jokela shooting etc. Would that be a game that you would be interested in playing. If so what shootings would you most like to play through?

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 16:47:05

At 5/25/15 04:45 PM, TMNinjaSquirtle wrote: Greetings I hope everyone is in good health. Just bouncing an idea of you all. If someone was to make a game based off all of the famous school shootings (university shootings and all other educational institutions also coming under this bracket), like Columbine, Virginia Tech, University of Texas Sniper Tower shootings, Jokela shooting etc. Would that be a game that you would be interested in playing. If so what shootings would you most like to play through?

Also, what would be essential to the experience? Would preparation for the shooting be key or would you prefer to go straight into the action as it were?

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 16:50:33

At 5/25/15 04:47 PM, SubliminalVirus wrote: There all ready are a few.. just go searching

Indeed. I mean creating a new game though. For instance nothing has ever been done about older shootings. Or shootings about America, such as The Cologne Massacre.

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 16:51:22

Ever heard of super columbine massacre? It's a classic.

BBS Signature

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 16:57:51

At 5/25/15 04:51 PM, Magical-Zorse wrote: Ever heard of super columbine massacre? It's a classic.

It is I agree. However, I mean a game that while having the cerebral nature of Super Columbine, that also has action elements. I do not think such a game exists. My friends and I are going to work on one. So, what I would like to ask the Newgrounds community is what sort of things would you want in this game. Character development. What shootings in particular. Just the classics like Columbine or others as well?

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 16:58:35

just wait until people mod hatred

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 16:59:23

At 5/25/15 04:53 PM, Piggler wrote: School shooting games are for edgy trouser-stains.

No, they are not. School Shootings are a fascinating social phenomenon. There is no need to bring emotions and angst into this. The focus on this thread is to find out what Newgrounds users would like from a game about school shootings.

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:00:32

At 5/25/15 04:58 PM, toxicdevil93 wrote: just wait until people mod hatred

Why does there need to be mod hatred? All we are doing is discussing what people would like from a game about school shootings. No different to a game about being a Mafia Kingpin, or a driving game really.

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:10:14

At 5/25/15 04:51 PM, Magical-Zorse wrote: Ever heard of super columbine massacre? It's a classic.

What about achievements? I found this great list on Encyclopaedia Dramatica (I know they come in for a lot of criticism however on the subject of school shootings and mass shootings they are very very good),

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/School_Shooting

My favourite is the 'Leaving So Soon' (activated when shooting a targets car tires so they cannot escape!).

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:10:21

At 5/25/15 05:00 PM, TMNinjaSquirtle wrote:
Why does there need to be mod hatred? All we are doing is discussing what people would like from a game about school shootings. No different to a game about being a Mafia Kingpin, or a driving game really.

I think he's talking about modifying the game called "Hatred."

If it was good, and wasn't a blatant rip-off of Pico's school (or any other game, for that matter), then I would probably consider playing it. In order for something like that to be good, though, it would need different game modes, a score system, an online high-score table, preferably online cooperative and/or deathmatch play, good artwork, good audio, lots of action/combat, good weapons balance, etc.

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:18:34

At 5/25/15 05:10 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: lots of action/combat, good weapons balance, etc.

Eh, I think you'd be playing the wrong game. Considering school shootings involve the students being totally defenseless and all. Not much combat in target practice.

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

BBS Signature

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:20:22

At 5/25/15 05:18 PM, toxicdevil93 wrote:
At 5/25/15 05:10 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: lots of action/combat, good weapons balance, etc.
Eh, I think you'd be playing the wrong game. Considering school shootings involve the students being totally defenseless and all. Not much combat in target practice.

Not necessarily. Some students do fight back (though this resistance is almost always unsuccessful) and you could in death match have shooters fight each other. Who would win between the Columbine and Virginia Tech shooters, (I would said the VT shooter but who knows)

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:22:17

I would rather not play a game that's based on shocking events.

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:22:23

At 5/25/15 05:10 PM, DJ-Ri wrote:
At 5/25/15 05:00 PM, TMNinjaSquirtle wrote:
I think he's talking about modifying the game called "Hatred."

If it was good, and wasn't a blatant rip-off of Pico's school (or any other game, for that matter), then I would probably consider playing it. In order for something like that to be good, though, it would need different game modes, a score system, an online high-score table, preferably online cooperative and/or deathmatch play, good artwork, good audio, lots of action/combat, good weapons balance, etc.

My mistake, thank you for correcting me :)

Yes, I agree it would need to be a sophisticated game. However, some school shooters seem to be very intelligent and self aware, Eric Harris for instance. So, I think with a lot of effort and care, a great game could be made. You have been enormously helpful, thank you for your time and advice.

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:23:44

At 5/25/15 05:22 PM, Zerodecoole wrote: I would rather not play a game that's based on shocking events.

How does it differ to Godfather or something. Or the Call of Duty No Russian level? Everyone has different tastes, however to discard one game because it is too violent yet play another that is equally violent seems slightly strange.

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:28:44

I think the biggest question is not what the game will be about but do you guys even know anything about game development?

BBS Signature

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:31:10

IMO, a proper school shooting game would probably be somewhat of a life simulator that ends with an action minigame.

Imagine that you play as a character that has, like, five months until school ends (150 days). During that time, as you play as the guy, you can assemble weapons (like homemade daggers, pipebombs and stuff), make money (and lose it when you're mugged by bullies or something unless it's hidden away), buy weapons and supplies, and try to cover up the stuff away from authorities until the action. Perhaps it would also involve making allies who would fight on your side on the shooting day. The shooting itself can be initiated on any day as soon as the player has any weapon at all.

It would probably have the peaceful ending, where what matters is how many friends and money was made.

But for obvious reasons, that would probably be somewhat of an alternative ending that would require no guns or anything. The real ending is the Action part, which can be turn-based kinda like in "Mission in Space" (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/588939). The enemies would consist of Kids, Teens, Adults (unarmed), Police, SWAT and, perhaps, the military. The Action part is endless with the enemy set getting stronger, and it would continue until the player and all allies die.

At least that what comes first into my mind when I think what would be the perfect school shooting simulator with all the preparations and stuff...

If Friendship is truly Magic, then I'm little more than a muggle in this regard...

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:34:34

Do you really need to make a new account for every thread you make?

BBS Signature

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:36:11

At 5/25/15 05:28 PM, Magical-Zorse wrote: I think the biggest question is not what the game will be about but do you guys even know anything about game development?

Some of my friends are studying computing and such. And one of them has brothers who work in the game industry. However, it will be a massive learning curve for all of us. And it will be a project that will take decades, but it will be worth it when it is done.

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:36:49

At 5/25/15 05:10 PM, HomicidialFrog wrote: My first thoughts upon seeing the thread title was "Oh dear, another one.".

What is wrong with the world that I live in.

Same here. I wouldn't have been surprised in the slightest if that was the case.

Shit's been going on since the Revolution.

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:37:19

At 5/25/15 05:31 PM, AoiShinigami wrote:

Awesome advice, thank you very much!

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:42:51

At 5/25/15 05:39 PM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote:
I can't find that to save my life

You can download it here.

Just click on the picture of the surveillance video.

BBS Signature

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:45:53

It sucks that they always die afterwards, otherwise it'd be really interesting to get a look in their minds when they get a chance to tell what was going through their heads for books, movies, games etc.

*sigh*

BBS Signature

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:49:52

At 5/25/15 05:45 PM, Splats wrote: It sucks that they always die afterwards, otherwise it'd be really interesting to get a look in their minds when they get a chance to tell what was going through their heads for books, movies, games etc.

Not always http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chardon_High_School_shooting

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:51:47

At 5/25/15 05:49 PM, TMNinjaSquirtle wrote:
At 5/25/15 05:45 PM, Splats wrote: It sucks that they always die afterwards, otherwise it'd be really interesting to get a look in their minds when they get a chance to tell what was going through their heads for books, movies, games etc.

Oh wow, I never knew! Did any interesting interviews or anything come out of that?

*sigh*

BBS Signature

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:57:40

At 5/25/15 05:51 PM, Splats wrote:
Oh wow, I never knew! Did any interesting interviews or anything come out of that?

The shooter TJ Lane seems to be very self aware. He even wore a T shirt with 'killer' written on it when in court. Also, check out this line he had to say in court.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WvzSThFw6k

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:59:09

At 5/25/15 05:57 PM, TMNinjaSquirtle wrote:
At 5/25/15 05:51 PM, Splats wrote:
The shooter TJ Lane seems to be very self aware. He even wore a T shirt with 'killer' written on it when in court. Also, check out this line he had to say in court.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WvzSThFw6k

Oh he also seems to be reasonably good at getting out of jail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh3LEjIbSv4

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 17:59:34

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 18:16:59

At 5/25/15 05:20 PM, TMNinjaSquirtle wrote: you could in death match have shooters fight each other. Who would win between the Columbine and Virginia Tech shooters, (I would said the VT shooter but who knows)

this is all sorts of fucked up

BBS Signature

Response to School Shooting. 2015-05-25 21:05:54

At 5/25/15 06:16 PM, toxicdevil93 wrote:
At 5/25/15 05:20 PM, TMNinjaSquirtle wrote: you could in death match have shooters fight each other. Who would win between the Columbine and Virginia Tech shooters, (I would said the VT shooter but who knows)
this is all sorts of fucked up

This is the kind of fucked up I'd play for at least about 2 hours in my spare time then completely forget about it, finding it years later and playing it again only to be ashamed of myself for even thinking it was remotely interesting.