00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

pixiesweetheart7 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

N A T A '15 - Open Round!

38,238 Views | 195 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Animators near and far now gather for the Ninth Annual Newgrounds Annual Tournament of Animation, 2015! Beginning today, animators from around the world will compete for the top 32 spots in the tournament, with bracketed matchups to eliminate all but one - the Champion of Animation 2015. Do you think you have the skills to make it all the way to the top?
*** Open Round ***
The Theme for the Open Round is...
* 10 Amazing Facts *
*** Rules ***
* You have until 11:59:59 PM, Eastern Standard Time, on Thursday, June 18th to complete your submissions. No submissions will be accepted after the deadline without penalty.
* Be sure to include the NATA Logo (Yellow / Black) in your entry preloader or credit screen.
* Entries must fit the theme above to both level the playing field and ensure that entries were not previously created.
* The animation must be no shorter than 1 Minute and no longer than 10 Minutes.
* The animation must be submitted on Newgrounds in any video or flash format, so long as it can be considered animation. 3D, flash, traditional, and stop-motion are all acceptable formats.
* Excess nudity, profanity, and other things of profane nature are not allowed. (It cannot have a "Mature" rating.)
* Absolutely NO copyright material is allowed without permission. If you use copyrighted music or other material in your animation, you MUST get the permission of the original creator of that material.
* Parody law is fair game, but not in ways that directly rip off the original material. Use spoofy, similar names instead of the real names. No copyrighted material whatsoever.
* The Audio portal is a great source for music, just be sure to get permission and/or come to a winnings agreement to use it for this contest!
* Any entry in violation of these rules will be disqualified.
*** Judging ***
Entries will be judged by the following judges:
* Tom Fulp - Founder of Newgrounds
* StejkRobot - Champion of Animation, 2014
* RicePirate - Newgrounds Animator
* MindChamber - Newgrounds Animator
* ... and possibly more! We are currently seeking 1-2 more judges by the end of the Open Round.

Judging for the Open Round will be performed by each judge listing their top 32 animations in order of best to least-best. Entries placed higher on a judge's list will receive more points.
Example:
#1 entry on a judge's list -> 32 Points
#2 entry on a judge's list -> 31 Points
... and so on. Therefore, the highest total points that can be scored by one entrant in the Open Round is 128 Points (with 4 judges), and it would only be possible for one person to get this score.
Those 32 animators will then enter the brackets. In each bracketed round, judging will be score-based on each entry.
*** Submissions ***
* Entries must be uploaded via the Newgrounds Portal.
* Entries must be tagged with "nata2015open" to distinguish them from other rounds and years.
* Entries must be submitted before the deadline. (See above)
* Be sure to post a link to your entry in this topic, to be sure your entry does not get lost.
*** Late Penalties ***
Open Round late penalties look like this for submissions after the deadline:
0 - 29 minutes: - 5 total points
30 - 59 minutes: - 10 total points
1 - 3 hours: - 15 total points
3 - 5 hours: - 20 total points
5+ hours: Disqualified
*** Prizes ***
The top 32 scored entrants from the Open Round will each move on to the Novice Round brackets and receive a $20 prize for making it in. Additional round prizes to be announced. All prizes will be awarded after the completion of the tournament.
*** Fine Print ***
* By submitting an entry to NATA 2015, you agree to allow NATA and its organizers to use your material to promote the contest and use it for possible calendars and other merchandise.
* All entrants must have a paypal or the ability to receive a check in the mail in order to claim their prizes.
* The final Champion of Animation at the completion of the contest must create an illustrated image of themselves interacting with planet Earth, as is NATA tradition to document their victory with such an image on the NATA website.
Best of Luck!!

BBS Signature

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-25 02:29:30

Finally! Been waiting forever for the thread to finally be posted ;3

An interesting theme. I don't have an idea YET but perhaps I will after some sleep. I've really been looking forward to this. I WILL finish something for NATA this year! ;3

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-25 02:33:18

If anyone needs a voice actor, then my usual offer is open to all! Feel free to send me a PM!!!

And if you need a good female voice, may I suggest the great @codeblackhayate!

E

BBS Signature

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-25 02:49:06

Now this sounds interesting! I can't wait to see what you dudes make!

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-25 03:04:15

Alright, let's get started.

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-25 04:06:43

Yay this year i'm not about to die from the flu...
So wiiiiiii i'm ready =D

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-25 05:36:28

oh boy

BBS Signature

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-25 08:47:58

Alright, you can count me in! I feel like I've learned a lot of things these past few years of not making it past the open round.
Time to brainstorm!

BBS Signature

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-25 10:20:14

Gotta think of something, but i'm def on board.

Excited to see what everyone else comes up with as well!

Good Luck All!

BBS Signature

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-25 11:31:09

At 5/25/15 02:33 AM, Chongo wrote: If anyone needs a voice actor, then my usual offer is open to all! Feel free to send me a PM!!!

And if you need a good female voice, may I suggest the great @codeblackhayate!

We will voice all of your characters!

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-25 11:32:27

Ahh sweet! Gonna have a pretty hectic schedule but I'm gonna try my best to get something turned in

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-25 11:44:03

Best of Luck!

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-25 12:02:21

ah yes yes yes, let's do this !!!

shit

BBS Signature

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-25 12:26:10

I so want to do this now

Hello I'm draw art and art acessories

BBS Signature

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-25 14:33:49

Not sure if I can join this year, way too busy lately. But if I have the time to make something I'll take my chance! If anyone needs a voice I'm willing to help as well.

pee pee poo poo

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-25 15:28:23

Very glad to see that this is starting, but does anyone else think that two weeks and three days is not enough time to produce an animation?

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-25 17:23:43

Here's to another exciting tournament!

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-25 17:46:47

At 5/25/15 03:28 PM, HowardWimshurst wrote: Very glad to see that this is starting, but does anyone else think that two weeks and three days is not enough time to produce an animation?

Yea I agree, the time is a bit strict, especially considering students have exams coming up in early June. Maybe a rework of the date would help?

BBS Signature

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-25 17:59:43

At 5/25/15 05:46 PM, Magnivez wrote:
At 5/25/15 03:28 PM, HowardWimshurst wrote: Very glad to see that this is starting, but does anyone else think that two weeks and three days is not enough time to produce an animation?
Yea I agree, the time is a bit strict, especially considering students have exams coming up in early June. Maybe a rework of the date would help?

I agree as well, gonna be hard to pump something out that fast. I'll give it a shot but I think a small extension would definitely be helpful for everyone. I feel like the open round, specifically, was a bit longer last year, right?

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-25 22:06:38

Best of luck to everyone. Its definitely an interesting theme to work with, here is a storyboard if anyone feels like sharing.

N A T A '15 - Open Round!

:V

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-26 08:32:57

Umm it doesn't need to be real facts, right?
Like anything fiction to make it funny or entertaining > w >

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-26 11:13:09

At 5/26/15 08:32 AM, RebellionFA wrote: Umm it doesn't need to be real facts, right?
Like anything fiction to make it funny or entertaining > w >

Absolutely, the more creative the better!

NATA has always been a community-feedback based contest, so I'm working on extending the deadline for all rounds. This may cause it to go into the early fall semester for some students, though.

BBS Signature

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-26 12:47:08

At 5/26/15 11:13 AM, NATA wrote: NATA has always been a community-feedback based contest, so I'm working on extending the deadline for all rounds. This may cause it to go into the early fall semester for some students, though.

Yeah, at least 5 days more would be great!

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-26 12:59:29

Woo! I can't wait to see what you fine folk cook up for this year's NATA.
Good Luck to all of you!

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-26 14:17:59

Finally! I'm in!

till we overdose

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-26 14:53:56

I'm telling you frank, this year is my year!
I swear it frank! I'll make an entry this year!
Damnit frank! Why wont you believe me.

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-26 15:07:02

If anyone needs a voice actor, I'm your man (you won't be disappointed :)

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-26 16:07:31

At 5/26/15 11:13 AM, NATA wrote:
NATA has always been a community-feedback based contest, so I'm working on extending the deadline for all rounds. This may cause it to go into the early fall semester for some students, though.

That'd be great! Extra time would be very nice!

BBS Signature

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-26 16:21:33

All rounds have been extended from 18 to 25 days! Holy crap!

Deadline for the Open Round is now Thursday, June 18th @ 11:59:59. Original post to be edited shortly.

Make good use of it... you're gonna need it!

BBS Signature

Response to N A T A '15 - Open Round! 2015-05-26 16:47:35

At 5/26/15 11:13 AM, NATA wrote

Thanks for the extra week!