00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JustSomeInternetdude just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Darthcrane stuff thread

741 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Darthcrane stuff thread 2015-05-03 18:47:21

Hi guys, I am opening this thread to get some opinions about my stuff.
This is an illustration I am working on, the idea is to create a forest background with watercolors and pastels and then try to combine the two things together.
what do you think about the subjects? Too cartoony? What about the body features? Thanks.

Darthcrane stuff thread

Response to Darthcrane stuff thread 2015-05-03 20:07:59

Welcome to the art forum, I guess I'll start with the subject. Is it a joke or something serious? Because the elements you put together looks like a joke. The man looks serious since he found a blood trail so he's quieting his wolf companion but the mutt is howling against his order. Not only that but his tomahawk\axe is drench in blood and it looks like the direction it's going look like the source of the blood trail. As for the anatomy, it looks like he doesn't have a pelvis. The cartoony style does make everything look like a joke.

BBS Signature

Response to Darthcrane stuff thread 2015-05-03 22:15:08

Hello friend! Welcome to the Art Forum. Please don't take offense to this, I kind of agree with Zane with the subject matter looking like a joke. Not a joke as in bad mind you, but something funny. Haha. Anyway, I think the main problem with this piece is the lack of good composition. It just looks a bit too empty, especially taking the background into account. The way you angled the perspective of the piece is also a bit problematic.

That's all for now. Keep drawing friend! You can very well be a great artist if you keep at it.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Darthcrane stuff thread 2015-05-04 11:33:57

Thanks a lot for you feedback! I will follow your suggestions and keep on working on it.

Response to Darthcrane stuff thread 2015-05-31 10:20:45 (edited 2015-05-31 10:22:12)

Hi guys,
I am doing some character sheets exercises, the point is to draw this big headed guy from different angles.
Since I cannot judge it objectively , could you tell me if according to you he looks like the same guy and which of the poses are not consistent? It would be great also if you can tell me the reason why the pose is wrong.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Darthcrane stuff thread

Response to Darthcrane stuff thread 2015-06-10 19:33:03

Hi guys, I completed the hunter illustration integrating it with a background made with watercolor and pastels.

It would be very useful to get some feedback. Thanks

Response to Darthcrane stuff thread 2015-06-10 19:59:11

At 6/10/15 07:33 PM, Darthcrane wrote: Hi guys, I completed the hunter illustration integrating it with a background made with watercolor and pastels.

http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/darthcrane/hunter-on-the-track

I'm really liking the background in that picture, it does a lot to flesh out the composition, I think you could add some more bushes and trees to the foreground to further frame what's going on and add more dimension to the piece. Right now its a great start. Where you hit some bumps is in the character and the wolf, the way they are colored really makes them jarring next to the watercolor background. I understand that doing details in watercolor can be tough, but I don't think going the way of sort of superimposing digitally done characters is the best way to get around that as getting them to mesh with the background is much harder than putting them in traditionally. You could try doing the details in colored pencil as an alternative.
Either way keep posting up work here, I think you're on a good track so far!

Response to Darthcrane stuff thread 2015-06-11 16:45:44

At 6/10/15 07:59 PM, JackDCurleo wrote:
At 6/10/15 07:33 PM, Darthcrane wrote: Hi guys, I completed the hunter illustration integrating it with a background made with watercolor and pastels.

http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/darthcrane/hunter-on-the-track
I'm really liking the background in that picture, it does a lot to flesh out the composition, I think you could add some more bushes and trees to the foreground to further frame what's going on and add more dimension to the piece. Right now its a great start. Where you hit some bumps is in the character and the wolf, the way they are colored really makes them jarring next to the watercolor background. I understand that doing details in watercolor can be tough, but I don't think going the way of sort of superimposing digitally done characters is the best way to get around that as getting them to mesh with the background is much harder than putting them in traditionally. You could try doing the details in colored pencil as an alternative.
Either way keep posting up work here, I think you're on a good track so far!

Hi Jack, thanks a lot of the suggestions, very much appreciated.
When I got time I will try to add more details on the watercolors/pastel background and I will try to re-color again the digital characters with some brushes which resembles more watercolor/pastel kind of effect so maybe the two things will blend better together.

Response to Darthcrane stuff thread 2016-01-03 08:42:50