00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SumMadLad just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Photoshop vs Paint Tool SAI

14,661 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Photoshop vs Paint Tool SAI 2015-04-23 07:08:15

Just curious with is the better program for creating painting with cleaner lines, Photoshop or Paint Tool SAI?

I have been using Photoshop for many years now but have been curious by The Shadling's artwork (warning his art contains adult imagery) and after watching his speed drawing videos I have noticed that for the final line work and shading he is using Paint Tool SAI, I will admit that there are times when using Photoshop where I am re drawing the same line over and over again because it isn’t smooth enough. I use to accept that this can be because of my cheap trust drawing tablet, but there are some people that can make fantastic art with just a mouse.

So could Paint Tool SAI help me create sharper line and another question is how much of a learning curve is there to know how to use the program so I can quickly dive in?

Would love to hear other people’s experience with using either or both these softwares.

BBS Signature

Response to Photoshop vs Paint Tool SAI 2015-04-23 07:09:59

i use sai (never used photoshop) and from my own experience and seeing people using photoshop, sai is a lot more simple, and there really isnt much of a learning curve.

Response to Photoshop vs Paint Tool SAI 2015-04-23 07:39:15

Hello! Welcome to the Newgrounds Art Forum! I think it's a matter of the preference and skill of the person using the program since both SAI and Photoshop are legitimate programs to use art. I'm basically saying that both tools are equally great in their respective traits as an art program and it doesn't really make a difference since the resulting artwork is highly dependent on the artist.

As for the lines you mentioned, it really comes down to practice until you reach proficiency. A tablet doesn't automatically turn you into a great illustrator. Remember that it's all up to you, whether you would choose SAI or Photoshop. Your success is in your hands. Good luck!

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Photoshop vs Paint Tool SAI 2015-04-23 07:47:29

Sai is kinda only good for making animu and mango art but everything else it's just kinda hit and miss, honestly photoshop is just good to have not only as an art program but also just so you can photoshop people's faces onto dicks and get banned from the general forum.

Response to Photoshop vs Paint Tool SAI 2015-04-23 09:06:21

Paint Tool SAI has two options Photoshop lacks that can really help get smooth lines: Stabilizer and Linework Layers. They're both fairly easy to use and don't require much from the user.

The Linework Layer works very similar to vector lines, except for the fact that it's still bitmap. Photoshop has the pen tool, which is a bit less convenient and doesn't let you work in "real time" when editing lines.

Personally, I prefer Photoshop.

BBS Signature

Response to Photoshop vs Paint Tool SAI 2015-04-23 09:37:25

At 4/23/15 09:06 AM, November wrote: Paint Tool SAI has two options Photoshop lacks that can really help get smooth lines: Stabilizer and Linework Layers. They're both fairly easy to use and don't require much from the user.

The Linework Layer works very similar to vector lines, except for the fact that it's still bitmap. Photoshop has the pen tool, which is a bit less convenient and doesn't let you work in "real time" when editing lines.

I really like using Sai (although as i've said earlier, ive not used photoshop, but i know it has a lot more options for brushes - if i ever get photoshop I'm going to buy the ultimate brush pack by kyle t. webster) and the stabiliser comes in handy when you need to draw accurate, smooth lines.

Response to Photoshop vs Paint Tool SAI 2015-04-23 10:19:04

True point from Fifty-50, yes preference and skill level have an important role when it comes to art in general and as just because I can...

At 4/23/15 07:39 AM, Fifty-50 wrote:
As for the lines you mentioned, it really comes down to practice until you reach proficiency. A tablet doesn't automatically turn you into a great illustrator. Remember that it's all up to you, whether you would choose SAI or Photoshop. Your success is in your hands. Good luck!

erm....

At 4/23/15 07:08 AM, DizzyVix wrote:
I use to accept that this can be because of my cheap trust drawing tablet, but there are some people that can make fantastic art with just a mouse.

Yes software and materials are just tools that can just be an add-on but rendered useless without basic drawing desire, knowledge and skill, but can't blame a gal for wanting to try different things hey ;)
For someone to make something new and different they have to try new and different things, even new tools and materials as well as how that artist uses those tools can make the world of difference, even something as simple as the correct way someone hold their pencil. But yes they can never replace good drawing skills, just add to it.

At 4/23/15 07:09 AM, kgbm wrote: i use sai (never used photoshop) and from my own experience and seeing people using photoshop, sai is a lot more simple, and there really isnt much of a learning curve.

It is nice to hear that it is easy to use, simply do not have the time at the moment for something that is hard to learn.

At 4/23/15 07:47 AM, M-Maher wrote: Sai is kinda only good for making animu and mango art but everything else it's just kinda hit and miss, honestly photoshop is just good to have not only as an art program but also just so you can photoshop people's faces onto dicks and get banned from the general forum.

lol ya but there is so many times you can Photoshop faces onto dicks before it gets boring and not something to show to the family XD

At 4/23/15 09:06 AM, November wrote: Paint Tool SAI has two options Photoshop lacks that can really help get smooth lines: Stabilizer and Linework Layers. They're both fairly easy to use and don't require much from the user.

I can so relate to the pen tool, have tried illustrator in the past and well I will admit the image quality is amazing and clear just still annoying to use.

I have been looking at the Stabilizer tool with could be really handy, sort of like the brush smooth setting on Flash.
Planning tonight to give the trial version of Paint Tool a try tonight and see how it goes. Also going to play about with shading a see if it is any better than Photoshop...though from the videos I have seen it kinda looks the same.

BBS Signature

Response to Photoshop vs Paint Tool SAI 2015-04-23 10:23:33

At 4/23/15 09:37 AM, kgbm wrote:
I really like using Sai (although as i've said earlier, ive not used photoshop, but i know it has a lot more options for brushes - if i ever get photoshop I'm going to buy the ultimate brush pack by kyle t. webster) and the stabiliser comes in handy when you need to draw accurate, smooth lines.

High five - I love Kyle t Webster ultimate brush pack, it really makes a difference and give a more natural look and feeling when sketching.

BBS Signature

Response to Photoshop vs Paint Tool SAI 2015-04-23 10:35:24

At 4/23/15 09:37 AM, kgbm wrote: I really like using Sai (although as i've said earlier, ive not used photoshop, but i know it has a lot more options for brushes - if i ever get photoshop I'm going to buy the ultimate brush pack by kyle t. webster) and the stabiliser comes in handy when you need to draw accurate, smooth lines.

It's really easy to mess around with the brushes and make something that's fun to use and create something awesome with it without paying anyone anything (and there's a bunch of tutorials to show how, I'm sure). I've seen people work with plain brushes or a collection of very few (2-4) for specific situations, and do spectacular pieces, and there was nothing particularly special about those brushes.

At 4/23/15 10:19 AM, DizzyVix wrote: I can so relate to the pen tool, have tried illustrator in the past and well I will admit the image quality is amazing and clear just still annoying to use.

I have been looking at the Stabilizer tool with could be really handy, sort of like the brush smooth setting on Flash.
Planning tonight to give the trial version of Paint Tool a try tonight and see how it goes. Also going to play about with shading a see if it is any better than Photoshop...though from the videos I have seen it kinda looks the same.

The Linework layer is much simpler than editing vectors in Illustrator. The points on the line don't have tangents attached to them, so you just move points around as you please. One thing to keep is mind is that you can't zoom to infinity, so keep your resolution at 300 or above.

Have fun experimenting :)

BBS Signature

Response to Photoshop vs Paint Tool SAI 2015-04-23 11:00:23

At 4/23/15 10:35 AM, November wrote:
It's really easy to mess around with the brushes and make something that's fun to use and create something awesome with it without paying anyone anything (and there's a bunch of tutorials to show how, I'm sure). I've seen people work with plain brushes or a collection of very few (2-4) for specific situations, and do spectacular pieces, and there was nothing particularly special about those brushes.

At 4/23/15 10:19 AM, DizzyVix wrote: I can so relate to the pen tool, have tried illustrator in the past and well I will admit the image quality is amazing and clear just still annoying to use.

The Linework layer is much simpler than editing vectors in Illustrator. The points on the line don't have tangents attached to them, so you just move points around as you please. One thing to keep is mind is that you can't zoom to infinity, so keep your resolution at 300 or above.

Have fun experimenting :)

Feel like getting a lab coat out hehehe

Ya I do tend to set my PPI at 300 which my PC hates later on. Also as a reply to using very few brushes just thought that I would share a painting I did for my father of his favourite dogs I did when short of cash to buy anything as well as my simple set up in my flat living room using 3 basic brushes ^_^

BBS Signature

Ok just finished my line test on Paint Tool SAI of an old angel sketch that I drew a few years back and yes it is slightly easier to draw the line and get them smoother.

As for the shading - rather stick with Photoshop for now ;)

Oh I was away from my PC on the weekend so this only took a couple of hours

BBS Signature

Response to Photoshop vs Paint Tool SAI 2015-04-27 17:55:54

At 4/27/15 05:42 PM, DizzyVix wrote: Ok just finished my line test on Paint Tool SAI of an old angel sketch that I drew a few years back and yes it is slightly easier to draw the line and get them smoother.

This looks really nice :D

Response to Photoshop vs Paint Tool SAI 2015-04-27 18:23:11

At 4/27/15 05:55 PM, kgbm wrote:
At 4/27/15 05:42 PM, DizzyVix wrote: Ok just finished my line test on Paint Tool SAI of an old angel sketch that I drew a few years back and yes it is slightly easier to draw the line and get them smoother.
This looks really nice :D

Thanks ^_^

BBS Signature

Response to Photoshop vs Paint Tool SAI 2015-04-28 15:16:14

look I've tried both and the thing is that according to my perspective photoshop is the best because not only you could work for what you say , otherwise it is a tool fully for artists and photographers , I am not a professional or an expert in software, but if you paint tool sai lacks a bit to reach the height of photoshop, even so it is better to use the with which 're more comfortable and which 're more informed software.

Response to Photoshop vs Paint Tool SAI 2015-04-28 18:18:21

At 4/28/15 03:16 PM, romanlo wrote: look I've tried both and the thing is that according to my perspective photoshop is the best because not only you could work for what you say , otherwise it is a tool fully for artists and photographers , I am not a professional or an expert in software, but if you paint tool sai lacks a bit to reach the height of photoshop, even so it is better to use the with which 're more comfortable and which 're more informed software.

Totally agree you can do so much more with Photoshop, but nothing wrong with trying out other tools and software. I often like to try out different things and techniques

BBS Signature