00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GeorgiaC-1811 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dealing with Depression(Be mature!)

2,958 Views | 44 Replies

So I've been dealing with a number of situations recently and my depression and anxiety is not making anything any easier. Is there anyone on right now that have tried to commit suicide or felt so depressed that they treid to hurt themselves or isolate themselves from everyone? And no smart ass comments either because this is serious to me and anyone who deals with what I deal with.

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 16:57:33

anyone'd be a liar if they said no to any of those questions pretty much.

but here's the thing, it's only depression and anxiety if you call it that. nothing is insurmountable

winner of the first annual NG Hunger games

life is just a trek, a quest to obtain knowledge, power, perhaps domination. maybe someone will win the race someday

BBS Signature

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 16:57:57

go to a doctor. some medicine might help

BBS Signature

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 17:04:32

At 4/11/15 04:49 PM, motokocat22 wrote: So I've been dealing with a number of situations recently and my depression and anxiety is not making anything any easier. Is there anyone on right now that have tried to commit suicide or felt so depressed that they treid to hurt themselves or isolate themselves from everyone? And no smart ass comments either because this is serious to me and anyone who deals with what I deal with.

from a young age I would often just lay in bed and think "wow, I feel like killing myself" and I would imagine myself dead. I never had any intentions to kill myself, I just... didn't really feel happy. Weird how little traumatizing events can for ever jade my little brain's capacity to be outgoing and so on.... So sensitive me, so maybe becoming insensitive is a great way to become an evolutionary advantage. Fuck sensitivity.

I have had many friends who have commit suicide. Can't really keep track of how many now. Like 5? Too many. Some of my ex girlfriends had suicidal tendencies, because life. One quite badly, but she grew out of that when she started to date me... It's a childish thing. Wanting to kill yourself. I have no idea why they killed themselves, and I seen them the day before they died ironically and they did seem somewhat perturbed. Some of them...

My only answer to your problems, is to turn yourself inside out. Empty your visage of everything it is and just focus on the things you want in life. Forget your problems, look forward, better yourself, in every way you can.

I closed myself off to the world quite drastically, I wasn't as positive as I once was. It took a few years for that zone of negativity to go away, mostly caused by other people. My environment itself wasn't so bad, or my family, just butt-fucking retarded peer life. From early age on...

hurp

BBS Signature

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 17:12:05

At 4/11/15 04:49 PM, motokocat22 wrote: Is there anyone on right now that have tried to commit suicide or felt so depressed that they tried to hurt themselves or isolate themselves from everyone?

Yeah, what I did was I broke away from all my friends, and started going to school whenever I wasn't at work. By ensuring that all my free time was spent bettering myself it sort of kept my mind off of how depressed I was.

I also drank a lot and did a lot of drugs. That helped me forget about everyone I left behind.

I'm not saying it worked, but it's what I chose to do so that maybe one day If I ever stop being depressed I'll have made a life for myself instead of looking back on the years regretting not doing anything with my life.

BBS Signature

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 17:14:51

Yes I've gone through severe depression before, both earlier in my life and very recently.

Something that I lacked earlier on was perspective, partly from people I care about committing suicide or similarly practicing self-destructive behaviors (a lot of substance abuse, a series of degrading sexual encounters, just generally throwing away good things in their life and perpetuating suffering).

When you're on the other side of that, and you have people you care about that you don't want to inflict that on, it makes a big difference. When you think about folks who you just wished would have said something, asked for help, opened up and let you help them, you realize that there are people around you who feel that way about you.

Even more than if you just died, there are people around you who you care about who would suffer a lot if you killed or hurt yourself. In my adult life I've acquired a greater appreciation for how many people I care about and how many people care about me, and what the effect of me not living well or of killing myself would have beyond an escape from whatever attachments and disappointments and hormonal imbalances are making me feel miserable in the short term.

Getting past pain and getting better is hard as hell but it is worth it. There are going to be points in your life where you'll look back at your previous pain and wonder how you let it keep you down and debilitate you for so long, why you wasted so much time and energy on something so ephemeral. The danger there is that it'll manage to catch you by surprise again and again if and when depression does strike, but it illustrates the point that it's just a shitty time and you're far better off enduring with some perspective and with the help of friends (the ones who are real and can handle it, and they do exist) and tools (medication, counseling, positive pursuits).

At 4/11/15 04:49 PM, motokocat22 wrote: And no smart ass comments either

Boy did you pick the wrooooong website for that...

At 6/24/15 11:11 PM, TheGamechanger wrote:

: CorpseGrinder is the Undertaker of the Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 17:36:27

how about stop being a bitch?

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 17:44:51

At 4/11/15 05:36 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: how about stop being a bitch?

how about stop being a shit slurper?

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 17:47:10

At 4/11/15 05:46 PM, Monster-64 wrote: did my advice help

sorta.

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 17:49:12

I am depressed, because I am thinking bad future lies ahead for me
I'm dealing with bullying, insecurity, loneliness and a broken heart but thus far I have not harmed myself

BBS Signature

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 17:50:17

At 4/11/15 05:44 PM, motokocat22 wrote:

No! its to good.

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 17:54:01

Eat chocolate. That is what women do.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 18:05:39

At 4/11/15 05:54 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Eat chocolate. That is what women do.

Doesn't being fat also cause depression? I think Detox/fasting is suppose to help with it since it helps you build a understanding and discipline as well as a finer appreciation for things while getting the body the change to clear itself up.

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 18:07:25

perhaps maybe Newgrounds probably isn't the best place for advice (given the lovely forum community we have here), however i'd say talk to a friend or relative about it, find something like a hobby or whatever to keep your mind off it a bit or see a doctor if things get worse, can't really say much more

BBS Signature

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 18:14:37

Well, I get really freaking depressed during the winter times. Here in Norway, it's so dark and cold outside at that time of the year. Just try to stay around friends and family - try to be as social as possible. Take walks and clear your mind form all the stress around you. I haven't tried drugs or anything, but coffee, multi vitamins and D-vitamins, which we often lack in the winter season.

BBS Signature

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 18:20:50

At 4/11/15 06:12 PM, vixuzar wrote:
At 4/11/15 05:50 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 4/11/15 05:44 PM, motokocat22 wrote:
No! its to good.
Dude stop being such an asshat

its not my fault i'm classy!

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 18:24:22

At 4/11/15 06:22 PM, Monster-64 wrote:
At 4/11/15 06:20 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
Dude stop being such an asshat
its not my fault i'm classy!
please unblock me tony plz plz plz

ugh you are.

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 18:25:02

Hey depressed people, Chill out. And read yurgenburgen's post. It's good.

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 18:34:09

At 4/11/15 04:57 PM, KevinButtchin wrote: go to a doctor. some medicine might help

I don't know a single person who was helped by therapy nor medicine. Doesn't matter if you take medicine or see a therapist if your situation itself is generally shit. All a therapist even is, is essentially a paid friend in my opinion. You pay for someone to talk to you about your issues. Personally the concept of not being able to discuss that with a real friend, makes me feel worse in the long run; but that's just me.

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 18:44:25

At 4/11/15 06:34 PM, toxicdevil93 wrote:

All a therapist even is, is essentially a paid friend in my opinion. You pay for someone to talk to you about your issues. Personally the concept of not being able to discuss that with a real friend, makes me feel worse in the long run; but that's just me.

That is 100% true.

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 18:47:21

I have and still deal with depression. It just seems like I don't have the energy and focus to do anything except surf the net. I've tried playing my alto sax again but couldn't play after 20 minutes. Not sure what to do. Maybe I'll start exercising to see if that will change my life.

I also get really depressed when I think about being in a relationship/getting laid because it seems impossible for me to accomplish.

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 18:48:38

You will overcome it, I believe in you, believe in yourself, partake in an activity with friends or by yourself, entertaintain yourself, talk to your doctor, anything,, just keep moving forward my friend

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 18:48:53

I see you also have some self loathing issues as well.

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 18:50:53

Try writing a journal with things that made you happy that day and read it back when you're feeling sad.
I'm sure that it will cheer you up =)

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 18:58:09

I find Long Walk Short Dock (LWSD) cures me of my depression sometimes.

https://soundcloud.com/longwalkshortdock/last-crawl-longwalkshortdock-squashing-machine-available-now

^^

hurp

BBS Signature

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 19:04:04

You've spent a couple years being vaguely active on the Flash forum and all of a sudden we're seeing this post in General. That gives me the impression you have no one else to turn to right now, and it's a little worrying. I would tell you to seek help, but I get the impression that you really can't.

I've suffered from depression most of my life for a bunch of reasons, the biggest one being extreme isolation and very negative experiences on the rare occasions that I've socialized with others. For better or worse, my self-esteem has always been pretty good, which means that I usually feel very secure when I'm alone, but also turns my everyday isolation into a fatal attraction.

As far as anxiety, it's kind of the inverse of depression. When you worry, you have anxiety. When you're apathetic, you have depression. Mentally coping with one has a tendency to lead to the other. I have anxiety sometimes but ever since I dropped out of school I've usually been able to take the "it's not the end of the world" attitude whenever I'm under pressure.

Since I don't know what the causes of your symptoms are, I don't really feel comfortable offering advice.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 23:11:39

At 4/11/15 06:34 PM, toxicdevil93 wrote:
At 4/11/15 04:57 PM, KevinButtchin wrote: go to a doctor. some medicine might help
I don't know a single person who was helped by therapy nor medicine.

I, on the other hand, know several.

At 4/11/15 06:34 PM, toxicdevil93 wrote: All a therapist even is, is essentially a paid friend in my opinion. You pay for someone to talk to you about your issues.

No, they're a person who has gone through a lot of schooling and studied really friggin' hard to understand a large number of psychological issues and the means of resolving them. Just like there's good and bad doctors, there are good and bad therapists, and just because someone "wasn't helped" by a doctor at one point, that would be a silly logic by which to dismiss all of medicine.

A friend is a different territory than a therapist, and the areas in which a friend can help you are often quite different from the areas in which a therapist can help you.

You absolutely should seek out the help and company of friends, but a friend isn't your therapist, and those things should not be confused.

BBS Signature

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-11 23:33:50

At 4/11/15 11:11 PM, CorpseGrinderClock wrote: I, on the other hand, know several.

Well then, I'm happy for them.

Just like there's good and bad doctors, there are good and bad therapists, and just because someone "wasn't helped" by a doctor at one point, that would be a silly logic by which to dismiss all of medicine.

I 'spose I may be biased. Currently I have a friend who was previously a cutter (a long time ago), who has an issue with their mother. They claim not to be depressed but the therapist is claiming they're wrong, and using the logic that "things have not improved in your household, therefore you are depressed", when that is not the case and it's really the parent's fault.

A friend is a different territory than a therapist, and the areas in which a friend can help you are often quite different from the areas in which a therapist can help you.

This is where I should probably clarify: I hear the term "depression" thrown around pretty freely, and commonly not referring to the actual sickness but rather someone being temporarily sad. In the case of that- I say therapy is absolutely useless, and someone who identifies mental conditions is pretty pointless in that scenario. I think we'd both agree there.

As for someone I know who is bipolar, they've tried therapy and medicine multiple times to no avail. So I dunno what to say there, multiple therapists didn't help at all. Just really unlucky, I suppose?

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Dealing with Depression(Be mature!) 2015-04-12 00:04:03

At 4/11/15 11:33 PM, toxicdevil93 wrote: I 'spose I may be biased. Currently I have a friend who was previously a cutter (a long time ago), who has an issue with their mother. They claim not to be depressed but the therapist is claiming they're wrong, and using the logic that "things have not improved in your household, therefore you are depressed", when that is not the case and it's really the parent's fault.

I wonder if the therapist would consider that an accurate third-hand characterization of their counsel.

At 4/11/15 11:33 PM, toxicdevil93 wrote: This is where I should probably clarify: I hear the term "depression" thrown around pretty freely, and commonly not referring to the actual sickness but rather someone being temporarily sad. In the case of that- I say therapy is absolutely useless, and someone who identifies mental conditions is pretty pointless in that scenario. I think we'd both agree there.

Sounds like you're simply objecting to their conclusion insofar as identifying the mental condition is concerned, and think your analysis is more accurate.

Sadness, depression, and mood/anxiety disorders are not necessarily synonymous, nor are they mutually exclusive, and a person's ability to deal with emotional trauma or simply difficulty in managing one's own emotional needs is something which a therapist can potentially help a great deal with, even if there isn't a physiological disorder present in the way that major depressive disorder is frequently understood to have.

At 4/11/15 11:33 PM, toxicdevil93 wrote: As for someone I know who is bipolar, they've tried therapy and medicine multiple times to no avail. So I dunno what to say there, multiple therapists didn't help at all. Just really unlucky, I suppose?

There are people who have tried multiple doctors, treatments, and medicines when they were sick but didn't get cured of their respective illnesses; again, that doesn't invalidate medicine as a concept. Bipolar disorder isn't something that has just been "cured", it's something where in some instances it is remedied, in others simply managed, and in others effective treatments haven't been found.

If people were preposterously tricky, unique, and complex anatomically, when you add psychology to that mix it becomes bewilderingly complex and damn near impossible to establish universally effective remedies, particularly when so much of it revolves around the communication and volition of the patient.

BBS Signature