00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

novaruah just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Any Other Buskers?

1,352 Views | 21 Replies

Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-09 19:30:19

A busker being a street performer artist or musician.

I am one.

Any takers? Curiosity is killing me.

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-09 19:40:05

Nah but I'd be curious to try if I got good enough at guitar or some other instrument

420 blaze it

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-09 20:44:15

Well, prepare yourself for condescension.

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-10 03:41:23

I know a busker in minnesota now: Ben Aaron - he is teaching me a fair few thing to be honest and I have been playing this game for a good 7 years:

To the one person who thinks it isn't a real job, get outside more. It takes a lot to make something out of nothing: if your interested you can see my busking footage at The Ash Cooper Busking Vids

Any Other Buskers?

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-10 03:59:52

Buskers are pretty cool. I've seen and heard some pretty talented performers on the streets in various cities and they work wonders on the atmosphere around them. I've always thought of them as folks sharing their talents which is admittedly a romanticization, but it doesn't seem like a viable career choice.

OP, have you ever been offered a gig or anything like that while performing?

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-10 04:08:59

At 4/9/15 07:30 PM, Johnnyoctane wrote: A busker being a street performer artist or musician.

I am one.

yeah but it's been a while.

Thanks to Green-Chicken for the sig graphics, ur awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-10 06:17:05

At 4/10/15 04:08 AM, jhypsyshah wrote:
At 4/9/15 07:30 PM, Johnnyoctane wrote: A busker being a street performer artist or musician.

I am one.

got any links dude> ? networking and the like

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-10 06:17:50

At 4/10/15 03:51 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: I ignore them
but there is a special place in hell for street beatboxers
just stop doing it

The fact that you said this, makes me think your not an artist but a marketer

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-10 06:42:44

I've thought about it, but never really made the effort for it. Could be fun.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-10 10:54:44

I have a strange obsession with Hypnosis. I often thought about taking it to the streets when I perfect it.

BBS Signature

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-10 11:03:26

The streets are not ready for my talent yet.

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-10 12:31:55

Not a busker but I approve of and appreciate skilled buskers. Those who think it is the same as panhandling are ignorant. To be noted, I despise panhandlers but I enjoy a good busker.

It is entertainment as any other entertainment except it is offered to the public for free. If one wants to donate they can but it isn't at all a requirement and good buskers don't even push it or even ask though they'll have a jar or guitar case or hat or something to put money only if people want to.

I'll often put money in a busker's jar because I legitimately enjoyed the entertainment and in many cases it's better entertainment than you could pay for in an "official" establishment. I don't have to give money and if they demand it or are rude I won't give any, but if they're just out there giving cool performances and not asking anything in return? I'm very likely to slip them some bills or buy them a burger or something.

@yurgenburgen what you posted in this thread seems unlike you. Why the hate for buskers? If you don't like their performance don't give them money. But they're not the same as panhandlers at all. At least the good ones aren't.

And when there is someone who just seems to have found an old guitar and doesn't seem to know what they're doing with it, and they demand money?? Yeah I don't give money to that person. It's that simple.

But a skilled street performer? IMO they are worth giving money to. I enjoy their performances. Thus I wish to encourage continued performances. Thus I am more inclined to give.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-10 12:42:16

My philosophy is the musical instrument and the congregation is my audience

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-10 12:51:51

At 4/10/15 12:33 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 4/10/15 12:31 PM, NeonSpider wrote: @yurgenburgen what you posted in this thread seems unlike you. Why the hate for buskers?
I don't hate buskers
I dislike street beatboxers
other buskers I don't care about

Meh, if it's not a performance you enjoy, that's fine. Then don't give money. But I don't dislike a person for busking just because I disliked the performance.

Only buskers I dislike are the ones who demand money but you'll also notice there's a big difference. The demanding buskers tend to put no effort into what they do and often have no particular skill. They're essentially panhandlers who found a guitar but don't know how to use it, or similar. Compare to the more legitimate buskers who have a skill they demonstrate whether this is musical or artistic or magic tricks or whatever, and they tend not to even ask for money but people tend to put money in their jars anyway.

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-10 12:55:19

"As an artist, I don't like other artforms, now excuse me while I go copy and paste some photos"

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-10 19:55:56

At 4/10/15 12:56 PM, Sekhem wrote:
At 4/10/15 03:41 AM, Johnnyoctane wrote: To the one person who thinks it isn't a real job, get outside more.
it isn't a real job

it's shitty music

if you played good music, you could get booked for actual gigs

instead, you're playing music in a public space and annoying most people

give it up

To set the record straight, I busk because it's free: and I work 2 jobs and pay tax. not to mention was in a famous rock band, declined x-factor . and i do play gigs every sunday and have been offered further work in music this week.

You have to do it yourself, busking is initiative not begging - i dont ask for money, i dont even indicate i want anything, i stand and play, you pay your choice, you listen your choice, you don't your choice.

at least i ain't selling anything. selling is evil -

some people in this world are so up their own its unbelievable - be humble

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-10 19:57:48

Busking is real: not sell out

Sell out musos make me sick in it for the house car the money the fame, rubbish

I do it for the love for the music for the message for the truth

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-10 20:44:21

At 4/10/15 06:17 AM, Johnnyoctane wrote:
At 4/10/15 04:08 AM, jhypsyshah wrote:

I am one.

got any links dude> ? networking and the like

I might throw up some live 1 takes, usually just on a lower quality internal mic, posted on YT unedited, when the mood strikes. Usually just for fun more than anything, it let's me see whatever it is I'm doing at the moment:

youtube.com/jhyps

I've been more interested in instrumentals, got tired of singing, so I just don't do a lot of vocals anymore.

I got some older tracks thyat were better quality, made for FM. I highly recommend low power FM if ya get a chance to mess with it. Fun stuff. XD

Thanks to Green-Chicken for the sig graphics, ur awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-11 00:32:10

At 4/10/15 07:55 PM, Johnnyoctane wrote: To set the record straight, I busk because it's free: and I work 2 jobs and pay tax. not to mention was in a famous rock band, declined x-factor . and i do play gigs every sunday and have been offered further work in music this week.

You have to do it yourself, busking is initiative not begging - i dont ask for money, i dont even indicate i want anything, i stand and play, you pay your choice, you listen your choice, you don't your choice.

at least i ain't selling anything. selling is evil -

some people in this world are so up their own its unbelievable - be humble

You will have to accept the fact not everyone appreciates buskers. Sad, but true. Personally I think those who do not appreciate buskers simply do not understand them or they have insufficient artistic appreciation or they've just never encountered any really good buskers. It's a sad fact that many people will erroneously equate buskers with panhandlers and it doesn't help that some panhandlers use a guitar prop as a facade.

Really though it's not difficult to tell buskers from panhandlers. Buskers do it for the art or for the experience or for the crowd reaction. They do not bug people for money although they will happily accept donations. Panhandlers don't even know how to use their instrument(s) and bug people for money or get angry if someone doesn't give them money.

Being a street busker yourself, perhaps you should make it your mission to try to educate people about buskers. Try to dispel their misconceptions. You can't win 'em all of course but you have to at least try.

As I've said though I do appreciate buskers so thank you for providing entertainment for the people in the areas you travel. I would personally rather watch a skilled busker than pay to watch an act in an "official" establishment. And if I am lucky enough to encounter such, I won't hesitate to put a dollar or two in their jar. I consider it a fair deal. I get entertainment which comparably would have cost a lot more if I spent money elsewhere, and the busker gets recognition of a job well done and some small token of appreciation and monetary incentive.

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-11 00:57:55

At 4/11/15 12:52 AM, disdainfulpanda wrote: id fail miserably!

To be fair, I've never heard of a busking tattooist. That would indeed be quite a sight to see a tattooist on a chair with inks on the side of the road or street corner, giving out tattoos for free and with a donation plate.

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-11 01:19:20

At 4/11/15 01:08 AM, disdainfulpanda wrote:
At 4/11/15 12:57 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 4/11/15 12:52 AM, disdainfulpanda wrote: id fail miserably!
To be fair, I've never heard of a busking tattooist. That would indeed be quite a sight to see a tattooist on a chair with inks on the side of the road or street corner, giving out tattoos for free and with a donation plate.
hahaha that sounds hilarious

I would definitely watch though. It sounds entertaining enough to watch. But I wouldn't get a tattoo from a busking tattooist because that just sounds like a bad idea. The sanitary and safety standards just would not be there. But hey if someone else wants to do it, that's up to them.

I'm always up to watching something unusual. And I've seen some quite unusual things on occasion.

That which is unusual always has a kind of fascination and appeal to it, I think.

Response to Any Other Buskers? 2015-04-11 02:55:10

If he had sterile needles I'd go for it.