00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

"remixed / tribute" classic music

808 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Game creators (mostly Sega) take some of their older dated audio tracks and then try and "tribute" or just ride the nostaliga or something and use it in newer games and make it sound like shit. Every, single, time.

An example,
Original = Green Hill Zone - Sonic 1
Remixed Sunset hill - Sonic Advance 3

Clearly the later newer one was a remixed version of the original, yet it sounds shit. Again look below for a second example.

Original Sonic 3 final boss theme
Remixed Sonic Generations "big arms"

Again, the later remixed one is shit.

The reason why these are shit, and why all other examples I look at are shit, is down to 1 simple thing. They are NOT remixes at all. All they are is the same theme / song as the original but they add in extra instruments to make it sound like it has been remixed. Adding in extra instruments just turns the original fine song into a mess by pumping sounds into anywhere they can find rather than just leaving the few instrument sounds alone to work as originally intended.

Actually remixed music, as in rewritten and taking tribute from the original but not stealing it wholesale and raping it, can be really good! But instead they just to these fake remixes and shove instruments in them and call it a day, because the fans seem to like it for some reason. Do you really like this type of shit compared to them making new music since frankly the old stuff is dated and shoving new instruments into dated music isn't going to improve it. The only way

According to fanboys who ranted at me for saying this in the past, I would sadly think the answer is yes. But I tell you you shouldn't think that is the answer! Because it is absolutely lazy shit that takes no actual musical skill since anyone with musical skill would murder those doing it if forced to help.

Making a proper tribute using something from the original and making a legit remix is good, this type of shit is not, since it is shit, and game makers (especially sega)

Now for an example of actually taking remaking a theme in tribute rather than just adding new instruments to the original and claiming it is remixed.
FF5 Gilgamesh
FF12 Gilgamesh
The above example actually works since you can tell they basically took the original (and frankly dated) theme, and gave new life into it making it sound decent for a more modern console while still keeping the original style. This shows that it CAN be done, old music can be remixed if you actually bother to do so and not just take the original song and shove some instruments in it.

Not to say Square don't fuck this up also, their "Dissidia" games are full of this shit, heres an example of FF7 being butchered by adding extra sounds to it, and that game isn't even that dated since the PS1 had decent music capabilities.
Original FF7 boss theme
remixed FF Dissidia FF7 boss

Also bonus rant of the day: old music IS DATED, so stop thinking making 8 bit or midi music is good to use these days since it sounds dated because it is dated. This rant includes the general rule that making 8 bit game "tributes" now is stupid.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to "remixed / tribute" classic music 2015-04-06 14:08:07

You had me until you lambasted all 8-bit music.

8-bit music rules.

I carry your heart. I carry it in my heart.

BBS Signature

Response to "remixed / tribute" classic music 2015-04-06 14:10:02

At 4/6/15 02:08 PM, Ghoti wrote: You had me until you lambasted all 8-bit music.

8-bit music rules.

I never said it wasn't good, I said it was dated. Anyone making new 8 bit "tribute" games are just lazy people who don't want to work on their art or music properly and hide it behind "tributing"

BBS Signature

Response to "remixed / tribute" classic music 2015-04-06 14:29:03

At 4/6/15 02:10 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Anyone making new 8 bit "tribute" games are just lazy people who don't want to work on their art or music properly and hide it behind "tributing"

You're being far too general.

I carry your heart. I carry it in my heart.

BBS Signature

Response to "remixed / tribute" classic music 2015-04-06 14:30:20

At 4/6/15 02:29 PM, Ghoti wrote:
At 4/6/15 02:10 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Anyone making new 8 bit "tribute" games are just lazy people who don't want to work on their art or music properly and hide it behind "tributing"
You're being far too general.

Factual, my friend.

BBS Signature

Response to "remixed / tribute" classic music 2015-04-06 17:58:02

The original is always better than a remix.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to "remixed / tribute" classic music 2015-04-06 23:52:20

At 4/6/15 05:58 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: The original is always better than a remix.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | Gamertag: Eddmario

Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to "remixed / tribute" classic music 2015-04-07 01:42:53

At 4/6/15 11:52 PM, Eddmario wrote:
At 4/6/15 05:58 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: The original is always better than a remix.
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

I like the original as much as the next guy, but when push comes to shove, it's usually bya slim margin that the remix is better.

Your mileage may vary, but...

Original Mario Overworld Theme
2004 Remix

Original Mario Underground Theme
2001 Remix
2004 Remix
2004 Remix

Beware the Forest Mushrooms
2013 Remix

Bob-omb Battlefield
2010 Remix

Response to "remixed / tribute" classic music 2015-04-07 06:10:16

At 4/6/15 01:17 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Original = Green Hill Zone - Sonic 1

I call it the "Wow, look at all the pretty graphics!" song.

Remixed Sunset hill - Sonic Advance 3

That's about as creepy as the original Lavender Town theme.

Original Sonic 3 final boss theme

Classic sci-fi music that still sounds more futuristic than most of the hipster shit you hear on the radio.

Remixed Sonic Generations "big arms"

Again, the later remixed one is shit.

Man, that was so fucking awesome it gave me goosebumps! I just don't hear music like that anymore.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature