00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The thing about depression...

1,212 Views | 27 Replies

The thing about depression... 2015-04-06 11:53:33

Let's deconstruct life...
We're born into lives we have no control over. Some people get a pretty good deal, others might get lucky and find the easy switch for their lives. Not that it really matters in the end... but I'll get to that.

Must of us are just fodder for the people who got lucky and are in power. We spend our lives just trying to keep our head above water. If we can manage that then we have to maintain connections with people, keep a job, wear the right masks that will let us navigate this fucking world. Or we can be ourselves and be ridiculed, ostracized, black booked.

And on top of that if we really stop to think a about life, rationally look at it. We're all going to die and be forgotten. Even if you manage to make a happy little life for yourself, even if you're one of those lucky assholes who get everything handed to them on a silver platter. You will die, you're friends and family will die. Everyone you now will die. Humanity will cease to exist, maybe in twenty thousand years, maybe next week. Everything is pointless.

The only way to be happy is to shut off your brain for as long as you can and be a good little consumer and play your part in the machine.
Are you happy yet?

BBS Signature

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-06 11:55:05

So are we going to die or what?

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-06 11:57:51

At 4/6/15 11:55 AM, Hazame wrote: So are we going to die or what?

Nah, I was just joking, we're all going to be fine. No one is going to die. Ever.

BBS Signature

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-06 12:04:32

At 4/6/15 11:57 AM, NeverHundred wrote:
Nah, I was just joking, we're all going to be fine. No one is going to die. Ever.

To hell with that "just joking" man. You made me so depressed that I think I'm losing my immortality. I gonna kill myself. You take responsibility and die with me. We will buy a house with garden and have 2 children in hell.

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-06 12:19:29

At 4/6/15 11:53 AM, NeverHundred wrote: We're born into lives we have no control over. Some people get a pretty good deal, others might get lucky and find the easy switch for their lives. Not that it really matters in the end... but I'll get to that.

But according to my mother, our spirits can choose our lives before we're born.

and yes, she honestly believes that and a lot of other crazy shit

BBS Signature

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-06 12:28:42

At 4/6/15 12:04 PM, Hazame wrote:
To hell with that "just joking" man. You made me so depressed that I think I'm losing my immortality. I gonna kill myself. You take responsibility and die with me. We will buy a house with garden and have 2 children in hell.

I'm not sure about this plan. How are the schools in Hell? Is this really the environment we want our children to grow up in. Will we need to take out a mortgage on this house? I might have a job lined up but I hear Satan is a pretty big asshole to work for. It pays well but the benefits are pretty terrible... except for the dental.
Free tooth pullings for everyone.

BBS Signature

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-06 12:29:33

Yeah I'm depressed especially about things like working, finishing college, driving, and most of all dating...I hate talking to women.

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-06 12:32:17

I've never been happy. My life in it's entirety is simply my defiance against the system trying to bring me down.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-06 12:45:03

This is very nihilistic, yet completely relatable on my part.
One of the reasons I believe the idea of an afterlife was conceived.

If you really break life down, we fight, stress, and suffer anxiety/depression and other negative emotions or mental disorders - regardless of how rich or intelligent you are - for what?

Life is a drama. Everything is a story with the same cause and effect string every time. What's the point if there's nothing after this? You're not remembered, nor do you remember anything.

Even with that said, there are so many thing about our universe that Humans will never understand. What's to say we aren't an expression, and the next step after death is to then understand that expression?

These are the things I think about when the power goes out.

BBS Signature

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-06 12:47:20

At 4/6/15 12:28 PM, NeverHundred wrote:
At 4/6/15 12:04 PM, Hazame wrote:
I'm not sure about this plan. How are the schools in Hell? Is this really the environment we want our children to grow up in. Will we need to take out a mortgage on this house? I might have a job lined up but I hear Satan is a pretty big asshole to work for. It pays well but the benefits are pretty terrible... except for the dental.
Free tooth pullings for everyone.

No wonder that my darling has depression, you are such an over worrying sweety. Don't worry honey, the schools there are good, they are strict enough to put children into the right education with their ribs and tongues while still maintain a healthy children friendly playground of burning sulfur. They are also very good at teaching art, you can see there are a lot of famous artistic works inspired from the place. About the house, your life insurance can cover the cost. Also Satan is secretly a crybaby. Back when we were together, he always cry when I do him from behind. By the way, you will be the one who bears our children.

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-06 13:21:25

At 4/6/15 11:53 AM, NeverHundred wrote: Are you happy yet?

I won't truely be complete until I'm the guy you're being depressed for.

No, just kidding, please don't feel that way. Go sit in the woods or stare at a lake for awhile, possibly with an ice cream cone. It'll make you feel better

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-07 20:28:07

At 4/6/15 11:53 AM, NeverHundred wrote: Everything is pointless.

You have to make your own meaning to it.

Do you even read Kierkegaard and Sartre?

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-07 20:41:09

At 4/6/15 12:47 PM, Hazame wrote: ...By the way, you will be the one who bears our children.

You know, I'd always wanted to bring a child to term. Too bad that in this scenario the children horrifically claw their way out of their womb through my abdomen.

BBS Signature

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-07 23:49:43

At 4/6/15 11:53 AM, NeverHundred wrote: Let's deconstruct life...
We're born into lives we have no control over. Some people get a pretty good deal, others might get lucky and find the easy switch for their lives. Not that it really matters in the end... but I'll get to that.

Must of us are just fodder for the people who got lucky and are in power. We spend our lives just trying to keep our head above water. If we can manage that then we have to maintain connections with people, keep a job, wear the right masks that will let us navigate this fucking world. Or we can be ourselves and be ridiculed, ostracized, black booked.

And on top of that if we really stop to think a about life, rationally look at it. We're all going to die and be forgotten. Even if you manage to make a happy little life for yourself, even if you're one of those lucky assholes who get everything handed to them on a silver platter. You will die, you're friends and family will die. Everyone you now will die. Humanity will cease to exist, maybe in twenty thousand years, maybe next week. Everything is pointless.

I actually hope that humanity passes on the torch to artificially intelligent beings to continue our legacy once mankind has finally reached its end.

To be honest the only reason why man fears AI so much is because we are afraid its existence would clash with our own..... but if we are for sure at the end.... there is no reason whatsoever to put off the creation of real true self-replicating AI.

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-08 05:15:25

At 4/6/15 11:53 AM, NeverHundred wrote: Let's deconstruct life...

The only way to be happy is to shut off your brain for as long as you can and be a good little consumer and play your part in the machine.
Are you happy yet?

I was happy before I read your post and I'm happy afterwards. Most of what you said is just subjective opinion and doesn't apply to everyone. You can choose to look at life in a cynical way and maybe your life will reflect that view or you can look at life in an optimistic way and then make good things happen in your life because you don't have a failing attitude but in case you do fail, being optimistic softens the blow and primes you for your next challenge. Look up "learned helplessness" and "crab mentality" the latter is about how pessimists and those of lesser ability will attempt to tear down those who try to better themselves or look at life positively.

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-08 09:59:28

At 4/7/15 08:44 PM, SansNumbers wrote: Allow me to quote a famous American poet: "Crawling in my skin, these wounds they will not heal."

I know that one, Hemingway right?

BBS Signature

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-08 14:58:37

At 4/6/15 11:53 AM, NeverHundred wrote: The only way to be happy is to shut off your brain for as long as you can and be a good little consumer and play your part in the machine.

so basically drink and do drugs so you don't realize how pointless your life is.
check

BBS Signature

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-08 15:41:06

The thing about depression is that when you are really depressed, people tend to make it worse. If people sympathize with your depression then that might just make things even more heavy for everyone, if they don't (and this is most likely) then you have the more reason to be depressed. The only way out is killing everyone, destroying the world then you will be happy! Or just commit suicide, less work, 100% effective!

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-08 15:54:15

The thing about Depression is that you need to fuck her hard to get over her.

depression is such a pretty name

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-08 16:55:26

I've come to terms that I will be forgotten when I die. Much like most of us. I doubt I'll become someone famous or become rich.

I say, live life and have a good time, once we're dead, does it matter the impact we made?

BBS Signature

At 4/8/15 04:55 PM, Bremaine wrote: I've come to terms that I will be forgotten when I die. Much like most of us. I doubt I'll become someone famous or become rich.

I say, live life and have a good time, once we're dead, does it matter the impact we made?

If after death really is nothingness then it doesn't even matter how famous you were. Because in death, a moment is the same as billions of years or eternity and I'm sure the world as we know aren't going to survive through eternity. As you are death, time ceases to exist and so the world. Just my opinion sir.

So all there is, is you, your life, that bacon between two slices of eternity, no more, no less. I mean, I agree with you, it doesn't matter at all. But only in case if there really is nothing after death, if not then screw me...

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-08 18:15:38

At 4/8/15 04:59 PM, Hazame wrote:
At 4/8/15 04:55 PM, Bremaine wrote: I've come to terms that I will be forgotten when I die. Much like most of us. I doubt I'll become someone famous or become rich.

If after death really is nothingness then it doesn't even matter how famous you were. Because in death, a moment is the same as billions of years or eternity and I'm sure the world as we know aren't going to survive through eternity. As you are death, time ceases to exist and so the world. Just my opinion sir.

So all there is, is you, your life, that bacon between two slices of eternity, no more, no less. I mean, I agree with you, it doesn't matter at all. But only in case if there really is nothing after death, if not then screw me...

Funny thing is, in the east that's what they see as nirvana.... literallly to 'snuff out' like a candle, because they see death and birth as an eternity of repetitive pain imprisoning us, life is inherently filled mostly with pain, even if youre lucky enough to be born human, with a modicum of freedom from oppression and poverty and disease, every love, every friendship is bound to its end in grief and loss, and youve carried this burden forever. No escape, death is just having to be helpless in the womb again, which the hindus and other eastern belief systems see as cramped and painful, not some half remembered heaven before birth like we are led to think in the west.

We think death is annihilation of our precious experience, the end of all joy and colour and beauty, which for some reason we associate with black, an experience... and heaven is supposed to be eternal continuation of an idealised existance, with the spiky bits removed, as if there could ever be such a simple state with all the baggage that makes up what we call 'us'

You can't win either way, annihilation or eternity, both can be just as miserable a prospect to the selfhood built of attraction and aversion conditioning, buzzing like a bee in a bottle.

I do think though, that beyond the opposites of happy and miserable, if we can escape the dreamlike nature of reality altogether, is something altogether other, but so impossibly awesome that weve spent forever creating whole universes to run away from it.

Sometimes i think that, anyway.

Sometimes i think all life in the universe is just something that gradually ripens to a state of universal love and oneness, just so some dark god can pluck it and eat it, maybe there are whole fields of universes, and its farming for the appetites of beings so evil by our standards that we can't concieve of their true nature except as devourers.
Just a thought, y'know, spread a little cheer....

At 4/8/15 06:15 PM, swampwoman wrote:
Funny thing is, in the east that's what they see as nirvana.... literallly to 'snuff out' like a candle, because they see death and birth as an eternity of repetitive pain imprisoning us, life is inherently filled mostly with pain, even if youre lucky enough to be born human, with a modicum of freedom from oppression and poverty and disease, every love, every friendship is bound to its end in grief and loss, and youve carried this burden forever. No escape, death is just having to be helpless in the womb again, which the hindus and other eastern belief systems see as cramped and painful, not some half remembered heaven before birth like we are led to think in the west.

We think death is annihilation of our precious experience, the end of all joy and colour and beauty, which for some reason we associate with black, an experience... and heaven is supposed to be eternal continuation of an idealised existance, with the spiky bits removed, as if there could ever be such a simple state with all the baggage that makes up what we call 'us'

You can't win either way, annihilation or eternity, both can be just as miserable a prospect to the selfhood built of attraction and aversion conditioning, buzzing like a bee in a bottle.

I do think though, that beyond the opposites of happy and miserable, if we can escape the dreamlike nature of reality altogether, is something altogether other, but so impossibly awesome that weve spent forever creating whole universes to run away from it.

Sometimes i think that, anyway.

Sometimes i think all life in the universe is just something that gradually ripens to a state of universal love and oneness, just so some dark god can pluck it and eat it, maybe there are whole fields of universes, and its farming for the appetites of beings so evil by our standards that we can't concieve of their true nature except as devourers.
Just a thought, y'know, spread a little cheer....

WARNING - WALL OF BULLSHIT

Nothing changes at all, whether God exists or not and those stuffs, your boring reality of tomorrow will still be there and so mine, until one day we are death. And it's not just us, if time doesn't matter after death then all this world that we have pondered so much about will simply cease to exist as we die. I like to think this as I and everything didn't exist at all. Not that we existed and now we are no longer but simply didn't at all, a complete ontologically negation of me and the reality. That will be your awesome death!

Floating everywhere, there are the information of many people who existed and I never know. Their life, their stories, their love, nothing about them I ever know. I really do want to know them, it's so frustrating they are just lost like that. Now this is unrelated to what I am saying. I swear your brain has to put a limit on how much you can comprehend death, without that limiter we all would be scared shitless to death or become kind of heroes to continue living in such a state.

I don't believe anything in all this. For such a concept, I can't even believe my mind. But that kind of useless, for my mind decides which I believe, which I want to believe and who I am. After my death, my mind can go fuck itself.

Actually there is an escape from reincarnation though, that is the whole concept of Buddhism. Which is to know, to understand and so you can become (a) Buddha (Awakened One). And they are far from being that nihilist, they don't say that life is simply suffering and have nothing better but to them, suffering is unavoidable in life and so a person need to come in term with it, understand it and it will help them archive the true peace and happiness ( what is this?). As of now, there are many brands of Buddhism and in some they teach you to not even do good things because it will cause your karma and there is not really something like "good karma" or "bad karma", just karma. Like, if I save your life as a kid and then you grow up, do wrong things to people would it be a bad or a good karma to me? It's just karma and I have to avoid any karma because it will tie me into reincarnation. But damn it's not easy because even if I avoid doing something or everything, it still cause my karma. So I believe it's not just about "do this and not do that" but more about understanding the fundamental of what exactly is doing something? What is karma? Anything you do will cause an effect and I like to think the sum of those effects simply as you, your existence.

I just like to think so, I don't believe so, much less I know so. Even if I have the answers, it's hard to believe myself because my mind will constantly lie to me. Well, this is a lot of bullshit coming from me.

tl;dr

I know shit.

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-08 19:13:07

The only thing worse than being depressed is being another internet pseodophilosopher. Am I right, OP? You would know first hand.

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-08 19:20:56

Nah. At least they still try to find something to do rather than insulting people. That's their own life after all, they have all the right to bullshit about it but of course not about another man's life.

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-08 19:57:50

At 4/6/15 11:53 AM, NeverHundred wrote:
Are you happy yet?

Shit man.
You got it right on the head for me bro.

Let us wallow in the filth of the void clinging to one another.

Formerly Schizo-sephy.

At 4/6/15 11:53 AM, NeverHundred wrote: Are you happy yet?

nigguh I've been playing vidya and drinking juice boxes all day, life is fuckin' good, and in 5 days I'm gonna sit down with a load of sugary treats, gonna boot up GTA5 for PC and I'm gonna stream that shit because I'm a fucking attention whore, shit's gonna be so cash money, nigguh.

Response to The thing about depression... 2015-04-08 21:07:59

I know that feel breh, and sometimes I actually get anxious of death to see what's next after this, but I guess it will come soon enough when my soul is ready, or maybe even unexpectedly; who knows ? lol

Also, this post reminds me of this song. One of Eminem's best IMO

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature