00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

joker1222344 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Time travel rules you go with

3,452 Views | 42 Replies

Response to Time travel rules you go with 2015-04-04 10:54:46

I think I'd probably just go with the standard time travel where you go back and change stuff and it changes your present. I am genre savvy enough to know that these are the exact kinds of time travel there are.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Time travel rules you go with 2015-04-04 13:42:22

Time doesn't even fucking exist.

/thread

Put aside my preview post, I just threw it out randomly to spam. Now I think more serious about this time travel topic, I feel that going backward in time is something a lot more than just going backward in time (ugh, I know this sounds dumb).

First is, what define if something really go backward in time? Is it like in fiction stories in which your body / your consciousness still goes forward in time? Is it just your surrounding that goes backward? But does your surrounding really go backward in time in those stories? Again, what is going backward in time?

As we know or I think we know, the reality of our 4D space-time works in a way that the causes go to the effects and somehow we define the flow of time like that. In this case, going backward in time is something that means we go from the effects back to the causes. We imagine a story about someone travels to the past, our story still goes exactly from causes to effects, the effect is that the person is in the past, the cause is his traveled through time, the effect is his traveling through time, the cause is some mumbo jumbo scifi stuffs and goes on. The act of him traveling backward in time need a physical support from his surrounding (or say, a whole physical world) to happen and I think this supporting work in a physical way that goes from causes to effects. No matter how I imagine about a person whether he goes back or forward in time, the causes of the story always go to the effects and not the other way around. Then did we ever have the right concept about what exactly is going backward in time? I don't feel like it's just about something that moves on the vectors of space and time and pop-up on a point of the timeline in which we observers consider the past. I can't even imagine what it is but it feels like it messes a lot with the laws of logic. Impossible, possible, what cause and what is its effect, etc all these work on the laws of logic (and that is the ground of physics), with logic being messed like that, it's simply something that beyond my comprehension, I can't even imagine. It's like getting a real number out of an equation of division by zero or from a square root of a negative number, you will literally have to change the fundamental of math for this to happen. By the way, about the square root, it's the square root part of the equation of time dilation in a condition in which you have the object's velocity greater than the speed of light.

This leads me to a thought that an individual can't go backward in time without everything that is in existence going with him on a same "flow", and this, to me, sounds like it supports Eternalism.

And yes, I also think that all these things I just wrote are bullshit.

Response to Time travel rules you go with 2015-04-05 15:09:38

At 4/4/15 11:57 AM, Vinnyy wrote: Unfortunately, time travel isn't that simple. You have to take into account the paradoxes and all that bullshit, which is enough to make your brain hurt.

Well, we're speaking hypothetically.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

If you're gonna travel through time, do NOT walk around with sunglasses and sweaters that have the letter M on them.
>:(

Response to Time travel rules you go with 2015-04-05 20:46:04

I don't post much but somehow this thread somehow connected with me.

My idea is time travel is pretty much what is described in the first buttlefly effect movie. You just teleport back in the same body ( no double paradox) and the future is pretty much erased. If you travel forward then "you" simply lived your life as you would had done. However you should somehow had the memory of your life (unlike in the movie). However i don't think it's very possible to travel forward, basically what you would be doing is speeding up the time around you, making you very young while everything else aged pretty fast. Anyway those are just fun theories.

About the time is/isn't physical and affected by gravity thing. Well first the facts. The flow of time seems to be actually affected by gravity. This has been proven by sending clocks in the atmosphere (time also affected by motion energy). This has been demonstrated and generally well accepted. Time is relative and while Einstein was not the god of truth this pretty much was his biggest influence and still has not been unproven to this day.

Now can you physically interact with time or is it just a concept? Well i did not educate myself much on this subject so i am just speculating. Since time is relative it is bound to space and energy (which means mass) so it has a physical impact. However in my mind time has always been his own thing, his own "force". Just like gravity or magnetism it appears to me that time itself is some kind of "primary" attribute of the universe that we can't yet describe yet we observe. We may be too young of a species to master it in one way or another... That last paragraph was just my very personal thought

Response to Time travel rules you go with 2015-04-11 10:09:39

I've actually always been interested in time travel, because it's something my brother has always been too, mostly because he's such a big fan of the "Back To The Future" movies. I can't help but worry that going back would cause something worse to happen and then you'd have to go back to stop yourself and it could get all messy.

Time traveling is actually traveling to another universe in which the current time is not our own. Changing anything in that universe won't affect ours and thus, causation is preserved.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Time travel rules you go with 2015-04-12 10:48:41

At 4/11/15 10:50 AM, satanbrain wrote: Time traveling is actually traveling to another universe in which the current time is not our own. Changing anything in that universe won't affect ours and thus, causation is preserved.

Yeah, that's one of the three ways it works, but only in theory.

Response to Time travel rules you go with 2015-04-12 11:34:42

Some people think if you could go back, that you would be unable to change the past. That would ruin the experience.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Time travel rules you go with 2015-04-12 14:51:00

Rule 1: Only time travel in southwest Australia.
Rule 2: Fuck. Up. Everything.

Oh, btw I totally lied about everything above.

Response to Time travel rules you go with 2015-04-12 15:42:46

At 4/3/15 02:11 PM, Xenomit wrote: Reverse time travel is physically impossible because that's not how time works, and forward time travel doesn't matter what you do because the future hasn't happened yet so you're not changing anything.

what utter bullshit

time travel is real

how else do you think I can freeze and rewind LIVE tv with my TV box?

-dadark1ord

BBS Signature

Response to Time travel rules you go with 2015-04-18 09:57:45

There actually have been people who have traveled back in time! It was a bunch of cosmonauts who were able to go around the Earth really fast. Granted, they were only able to go, I think like one tenth of a second into the past, but that ought to at least count for something!