00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

OPREA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Looking for some honest feedback

683 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Looking for some honest feedback 2015-04-02 11:02:05

Long ago, I tried uploading stuff onto newgrounds. Most of it went unnoticed, so I decided to take it all down.
However, I wanted to give it another try.
Looking for some honest feedback, also looking to see if anyone wants to work on stuff together!
Let me know.

Response to Looking for some honest feedback 2015-04-02 11:02:49

At 4/2/15 11:02 AM, Thebaconnater wrote: Long ago, I tried uploading stuff onto newgrounds. Most of it went unnoticed, so I decided to take it all down.
However, I wanted to give it another try.
Looking for some honest feedback, also looking to see if anyone wants to work on stuff together!
Let me know.

I have got more work I would like to upload.
If anyone is interested.

Response to Looking for some honest feedback 2015-04-02 16:56:47

I think your picture looks really good it seems like you have a great understanding of light and shadow
and the shot looks very dynamic too
I think the only reason why it didn't got noticed is probably because it looks too rough for most people if you'd clean it up a little more (the door frame and the chain saw already look finished for example) I'm sure you'd get the attention you deserve

Response to Looking for some honest feedback 2015-04-02 17:55:11

Unfortunately, being a popular artist and being a good artist are two very distinct things in the internet, and specially on newgrounds. Many great artists go unnoticed.

Your stuff looks good, you seem to have a decent amount of knowledge on lighting and composition. I'd recommend some thought on how much polish you put on your drawings, and what parts of them get the most work. You seem to put unequal amounts of work in parts of your drawing, some are way more sketchy than others, and while that doesn't necessarily need to be a bad thing (can be a cool way to bring focus to the aspects of your drawing you want people to pay attention to), but that doesn't seem to be the way you are using it.

Also, is the skull thing your signature? make it more discrete, it takes away from the rest of the composition.

Response to Looking for some honest feedback 2015-04-03 20:42:56

Thanks for the comments.
I have made it a habit to work very freely. I hardly ever have a very "polished" look.
Unless otherwise instructed, I usually just try to capture the feel of the piece.

Response to Looking for some honest feedback 2015-04-03 20:45:43

Also, is the skull thing your signature? make it more discrete, it takes away from the rest of the composition.

Thanks for the kind words. Like mentioned above, I hardly ever give my pieces any polish. I try to be very free with it and just try to capture the mood or moment. As for that dumb little skull thing, it is not my signature lol.

My signature is much different.

However, I did do a series of "Horror Movie Moments" and they are all tied together with that little skull guy.
It happened by accident and then I just sort of stuck with it.

Once again, thanks for the critique.

Response to Looking for some honest feedback 2015-04-04 02:59:51

This image would be a lot more impressive if it weren't just a paint-over of this.

My advice is that you learn to paint your own images. You can learn a tiny bit from tracing, but it's otherwise an artistic cop-out.

Response to Looking for some honest feedback 2015-04-04 10:30:44

At 4/4/15 02:59 AM, lovingthedark wrote: This image would be a lot more impressive if it weren't just a paint-over of this.

My advice is that you learn to paint your own images. You can learn a tiny bit from tracing, but it's otherwise an artistic cop-out.

It is not a paint over of that image. I did, however, use that very same image as ref. Perhaps I should have stated that.

Response to Looking for some honest feedback 2015-04-04 10:34:31

At 4/4/15 02:59 AM, lovingthedark wrote: This image would be a lot more impressive if it weren't just a paint-over of this.

Also, what would make you want to go off and assume I just painted over?

Not that it is any concern of yours, but I had some one ask me to do that very same image but in photoshop.
Because it is unheard of that someone uses reference and it looks like the reference.

Response to Looking for some honest feedback 2015-04-04 13:44:57

At 4/4/15 10:34 AM, Thebaconnater wrote:

Also, what would make you want to go off and assume I just painted over?

Uh. The fact that the door frame is still the photo. You didn't even bother painting it.

Not that it is any concern of yours,

You asked for honest feedback, don't be snippy with me.

but I had some one ask me to do that very same image but in photoshop.

So?

Because it is unheard of that someone uses reference and it looks like the reference.

Look, I'm not trying to tell you you're a bad person. I'm trying to tell you that if you want to become a better artist you should try your hand at building your own compositions rather than copying them.

Response to Looking for some honest feedback 2015-04-04 13:51:30

I like how people like Thebaconnater are ready to accept compliments on colour, shading and composition ... which is provided by the image they're referencing*.

*"referencing"

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for some honest feedback 2015-04-04 14:09:11

At 4/4/15 10:30 AM, Thebaconnater wrote: It is not a paint over of that image.

Nah, that's definitely a paintover. Check the doorframe and the background.

Response to Looking for some honest feedback 2015-04-05 11:45:19

At 4/4/15 02:09 PM, CankerousKitty wrote:
At 4/4/15 10:30 AM, Thebaconnater wrote: It is not a paint over of that image.
Nah, that's definitely a paintover. Check the doorframe and the background.

Not like it matters to any of you guys at this point
But here is a video of my usual work process.

Yes the door frame was kept and the back room and its colors remain almost the same.
However, the actual leather face is what stands to be different. He is much larger than the original.

https://youtu.be/zjBAksmCfRY

You will notice the same thing happens in the video posted. My sketch is much larger than the original and I end up using the liquify tool in order to correct it.
This was a study done this morning, but I recorded it to show you guys.

Again, most likely you will all think nothing of it. I do not have anything to hide.
The door frame was the same as the original.
The background was the same as the original.
All because those were not the things I was focusing on. I was trying to capture the likeness of leatherface.

Response to Looking for some honest feedback 2015-04-05 14:53:03

Your intentions are clearly for study purposes. I do not know why you are being condemned for it.

This type of practice is essential to understand digital painting and how to develop a process. What you are doing is encouraged but it is appropriate to provide some explanation for the purpose of some pieces in order to prevent unintended backlash. It is also bad form to sign studies and sketches.

I am sorry for the negativity that is in this thread but please understand that some of us have to sift through inappropriate work daily and we have to gauge an artist's motive. Sometimes though the line between stolen ideas and studies tend to blur and a call has to be made.

Understand this is good work and a very solid study. So good it causes a bit of controversy.