00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

joaomfigueiredo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My Book Cover

443 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

My Book Cover 2015-03-31 19:34:03

Hello fellow earthlings,
I hope you're all doing well and are having an awesometacular day.

Alright, I'm going to be blunt: I really need your help with something, namely the cover for my book.
After seeing some of my illustrations I've had lying around in my office, my publisher thought it would be a great idea if I painted the cover for my book myself instead and well, I felt flattered so without really thinking about the consequences I just said yes. Now I feel utterly overwhelmed by the task at hand and. I'm fine with rendering, lighting and so on but am really struggling with basic composition and the structural base of my drawings. Which is why I am hoping that you guys might help me through this, guiding me through the many steps until I've got something I can work with.

Please have a look here for the summary for the first part of my book if you'd want a little bit of context:
Critique Request - Sycra Forum

What I'm trying to achieve with the cover illustration:
The cover should contain the house in the woods which would be heavily covered by leaves and should be reminiscent of a hidden hunters cabin. I wouldn't go too much overboard with the foliage and fences for the cover since it still needs to be clearly visible for the reader.
Since the amputation is such a key scene in the book, I'd like to include only the legs of the character, standing in front of the cabin in a rather relaxed manner. He will be carrying a backpack, a Beretta 98 as well as a machete that dangles on a leather shoulder strap.
It would be nice to fit in two characters but I doubt that will be possible without screwing up the composition.

I'd be very grateful for every kind of input you guys could give me and if someone is going to overdo him/herself with helping me I'll of course make sure to mention this to my publisher.
Thank you very much for taking the time!

Best wishes to you
Rahel

My Book Cover

Response to My Book Cover 2015-04-01 10:12:38

Looking good although I'd say that the text is a little hard to read. Perhaps change the colour from black to white or even a grey and see what works best.

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to My Book Cover 2015-04-02 00:52:44

At 4/1/15 10:12 AM, Decky wrote: Looking good although I'd say that the text is a little hard to read. Perhaps change the colour from black to white or even a grey and see what works best.

Even just making the font bold would make it a lot easier to read

Response to My Book Cover 2015-04-02 11:09:30

Try using bolder text. Like the fella above me said, try inverting the colors from black to white.
Mix a serif with a san serif.
Or you could go and use one of my favorite fonts which is Open Sans, by google. Its a free to use font and comes with an extensive family.