00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

A Hearts Journey (Chapter 3)

580 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

A Hearts Journey (Chapter 3) 2015-03-31 19:26:54

Chapter 3

Molly burst out of Richards house, keeping a tight grip on Kales arm to ensure that he followed. Kale looked around as he was being dragged to Molly's house. The lights and colors around him were stunning. He smiled halfheartedly at the new world around him. It was a wonderful and saddening experience. He was in a new land and he knew that this was going to be an adventure beyond his comprehension. But...

But...

But at the same time he knew not just where he was, but WHEN he was. The portal spoke to him, saying that the year he now lived in was the year 2013. The portal filled his mind with knowledge. How to speak in the jargon of the time. He knew chemistry. He knew HISTORY. Knowledge that he knew no one in his time had. And the knowledge of history made Kale sad.

Kale had come from London in the year 1347. London was secure and safe, and no one had a worry in the world. But Kale knew. He knew what would happen in London in 1349. He knew now that a disease named The Black Death would sweep through his home and kill anyone he ever knew. And those it didn't sentence to death, were given an even crueler sentence. Life among the dead.

Molly turned to Kale, as he was noticeably slowing down. His eyes flashed with pain, and his interest in the new world seemed distant and unimportant. She stopped and turned to Kale, her eyes emoting concern.

"Kale. Whats going on? Are you alright?" Molly asked. She let go of his arm and rested her hands on her hips. A force of habit. Kales eyes failed to meet hers. He simply nods to her and motions for her to guide him to her house. Molly sighed and began to walk towards a large house, painted in light blue with clean white shutters and a clean green lawn. Kale smirked at his knowledge of the common house components, distracting him from his new found pain.

Kale stepped onto the lawn and looked out over the streets. He was impressed by the increase in homes and decrease in homeless. And at the end of the street, he saw a man.

The man stood at around 6'4" with a large red duster. Kale assumed that this might be some common fashion trend nowadays. But what disturbed Kale the most was the mask. The mask the man was wearing covered his entire face, enveloping it in black. Kale admired the mask for a moment before realizing that this man was also admiring him in return. Kale stepped back and followed Molly into the house, afraid to speak. This man, whoever he was, was stranger than even Kale. And his appearance couldn't just be coincidence.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Richard sat in his house alone. The sun beams shone brightly through the windows. Richards eyes grew dark as he stood up to close the shutters. He trudged over to his kitchen and tossed the three plates into his sink, breaking them. He payed no mind to the crashing and shattering of the plates. He simply sauntered out of his kitchen and walked into his basement.

He locked the doors behind him and muttered to himself as he walked down the stairs. He thought about the few moments Kale had spent in his house.

"Fucker....." He stepped into his basement and flicked on a light-switch. The light revealed a sort of shrine, dedicated to Molly. It wasn't anything too severe. No effigies, no pictures strewn across the walls. Instead, it consisted of a laptop and a picture book. He sat down in front of the laptop and searched the school website for any trace of a foreign exchange student. He searched Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, MySpace, and found no trace of Kale. He slammed his fist on the keyboard of his laptop and screamed at the top of his lungs.

"GODDAMMIT!" He grabbed the picture book next to him and began frantically ripping pages out. Paper cuts littered his hands as he tore out page after page.

"WHY WOULD YOU LIE TO ME?" Tears welled in his eyes as he threw the book across the room. Pictures of Molly with Richard were strewn about the room, dating back to when they first met. He screamed out in pain and anger for an hour, until he heard a gentle knock at the door.

He quickly wiped the tears from his eyes and let out a shaky sigh. "Who is it now..."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

He stood at the end of the street, watching Kale and Molly. He tapped his finger gently against a gun he had concealed under his duster. He hummed the tune to Fur Elise, and tapped his foot to the tune.

"Da da da da da da da dum. Da da da dum. Da da da dum. Da da da da da da da dum...." His eyes gazed across the street until they met with Kales. A smile formed under his mask. Kale quickly darted into the house after Molly. The man turned heel and headed towards another house.

"Not yet Kale. Not yet...." He walked up to a house with red paint and a bright orange bed of flowers. He knocked gently on the door and sat in wait.

Response to A Hearts Journey (Chapter 3) 2015-05-03 10:36:12

I enjoyed the way Kale's back story was presented here, it gave just enough hints for the reader to get a better idea of what was going on in his life. Onto Richard, his transition into a darker character seems incredible sudden. It's a little jarring, and I wish it was a more gradual descent. Lastly, the final lines pique my interest. As a reader, I have to imagine if this is Richard's house, because I don't remember the look of his house being discussed.

Response to A Hearts Journey (Chapter 3) 2015-05-03 13:12:16

At 5/3/15 10:36 AM, LDAF wrote: I enjoyed the way Kale's back story was presented here, it gave just enough hints for the reader to get a better idea of what was going on in his life. Onto Richard, his transition into a darker character seems incredible sudden. It's a little jarring, and I wish it was a more gradual descent. Lastly, the final lines pique my interest. As a reader, I have to imagine if this is Richard's house, because I don't remember the look of his house being discussed.

Hey! I enjoy your feedback! To elaborate, Richards change was in fact sudden. The reason I wanted to do this was to show an almost Jekyll and Hyde transition between his social life and his personal life. However, this is written entirely in my taste, so everyone is entitled to an opinion about the work!

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Sincerely,
ProfessorX