00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Plane crash in French Alps

4,043 Views | 65 Replies

Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-24 07:08:00

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32030270

Apparently there were nearly 150 people on board, very few details right now, but it sounds serious.

Cartoonist lad, occasional BBS poster and all-round human hailing from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

NOTICE: Anyone caught posting A.I. 'art' on Newgrounds.com will have their balls ripped off and flushed down the toilet.

BBS Signature

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-24 07:11:54

Just heard about it on the news. I expect the first couple of hours to have lots of talking heads and BS to fill time until we get real details about what's going on.

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-24 07:17:01

Hollande has already stated there's unlikely to be any survivors. Sounds like a big crash.

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-24 07:45:04

Seems like this shit is happening more frequently, doesn't it?

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-24 08:04:41

At 3/24/15 08:03 AM, Hoodie wrote:
DISCLAIMER
They might matter to someone, but really in the grand scheme, they don't.

wow really makes u think

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-24 08:07:19

This is why I never want to take plane flights

BBS Signature

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-24 08:13:22

At 3/24/15 08:03 AM, Hoodie wrote: Good thing none of those people really mattered.

DISCLAIMER
They might matter to someone, but really in the grand scheme, they don't.

If this happened about five months ago I'd be dead

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-24 08:17:22

At 3/24/15 08:07 AM, klompors wrote: This is why I never want to take plane flights

You do realize that overall, there are more deaths from car crashes then planes every year, right?

Anyway, things like this are always unfortunate, I'm assuming the they have something like the NTSB here in the states to look into this, I'll look into the details when they get them.

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-24 08:19:49

At 3/24/15 08:16 AM, Hoodie wrote:
At 3/24/15 08:13 AM, jonthomson wrote:
If this happened about five months ago I'd be dead
Are you important?

depends who you ask

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-24 09:01:21

At 3/24/15 07:45 AM, NGPulp wrote: Seems like this shit is happening more frequently, doesn't it?

Wait, shit-- scratch that.

The stories just getting covered and made to spread more often. When you look at the statistics, more crashes and airway accidents happened the years before.

They of course emphasize the humanity, so people'll feel unsafe, but compared to the numbers of really fatal plane crashes that're reported on the tube and elsewhere to the number of flights taking place everyday without error, it seldom happens.

Regarding airport security: never be too safe? My ass.

It's already a risk you're going on a pressurized metal death trap cruising over 10,000 ft above.

It's cool and all that they put rules and regulations on these things and the pilots have to be real fuckin' trained, with experts at their radio tower having to check for the various conditions to ensure the flight doesn't run into a storm-- those guys've probably got people covered enough. The guards at the gate that rape you before you board are just for show, though.

As people have said: cars are riskier than airplanes.

Strangely enough, only the really special car crashes get covered.

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-24 22:51:22

At 3/24/15 09:51 PM, dem0lecule wrote: But, this time were the German... THE GERMAN? HOW?

People make grave errors-- no matter what race.

Death in large numbers knows no race.

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-24 23:26:05

Planes should be made out of crash proof material.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-24 23:47:57

At 3/24/15 11:26 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Planes should be made out of crash proof material.

You can't make a plane outta the same material as the black box because it'll be too heavy to fly.
If you added more engine power, it could spontaneously explode even before take-off.

I find that while it is a tragedy that things like this happen, death makes sure there's more room for life to begin-- what with the overpopulation and all, this is both a tragedy and a blessing.

Sure it sounds insensitive, but we hav'ta advance and move on, anyway.

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-25 00:54:26

a somewhat more detailed new report

from the graph in the news report of the crash, the plane started descending from 38,000 at a rate of ~3,000 feet per minute. this is not a very steep descend and so i agree with the initial assessment that mid-air stall (plane falling out of the sky because of low airspeed) can be ruled out.

no distress calls were sent out, so it is possible that the pilots were unaware of the imminent crash until the very last moment.

it is far too early to pinpoint the exact cause of the crash, but if i were to speculate on the cause of the crash, problems with the plane's navigation system might be an explanation.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-25 07:09:53

Cockpit recordings apparently show there was the sound of cracks followed by an 18-minute descent on autopilot without further communication. So decompression probably, especially as the plane was apparently seen flying low over the mountains.

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-25 08:03:31

At 3/25/15 07:09 AM, glumper wrote: Cockpit recordings apparently show there was the sound of cracks followed by an 18-minute descent on autopilot without further communication. So decompression probably, especially as the plane was apparently seen flying low over the mountains.

If you can't find a single source to support these statements, I will take it as bullshit and everyone should disregard this post.

Latest TCs

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-25 08:32:01

At 3/25/15 08:03 AM, i-am-ghey wrote:
At 3/25/15 07:09 AM, glumper wrote: Cockpit recordings apparently show there was the sound of cracks followed by an 18-minute descent on autopilot without further communication. So decompression probably, especially as the plane was apparently seen flying low over the mountains.
If you can't find a single source to support these statements, I will take it as bullshit and everyone should disregard this post.

Sorry genius.

The aircraft slammed into the sheer side of a mountain in the French Alps soon after 10.48am. For those 18 minutes, it gradually shed height from 28,000 feet to less than 2,000 feet without transmitting any form of distress signal.

...the French military scrambled a Mirage jet fighter to investigate. This aircraft was seen by eye-witnesses following the doomed airliner as it skimmed the Alpine ridges before crashing into a sheer mountain-side.

Both pilots were unconscious during the flight, the cockpit voice recordings have revealed. Aviation Director Pekka Henttu Trafi said he had received the information from aviation circles.

"There doesn't appear to have been any communication, and it suggests that the pilots were unconscious," Henttu says.

The flight's trajectory appears to back this up.

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-25 08:47:25

According to wikipedia, the crash site was located at 44 16'N, 6 26'E. The elevation around that point is 1500 meters to 2000 meters from Google Earth.
If wikipedia is right, then obviously it couldn't descend to 2000 feet. Also, the descend took about 10 minutes from wikipedia.

You are free to decide which sources of information is more credible.

Latest TCs

The crash site is about 6000 ft, so it seems they forgot to convert metres to feet or did it badly. Regardless, the descent was steady.

All of the evidence points towards decompression rendering pilots unconscious, followed by a controlled descent.

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-25 09:03:12

At 3/25/15 09:01 AM, glumper wrote: The crash site is about 6000 ft, so it seems they forgot to convert metres to feet or did it badly. Regardless, the descent was steady and took about 18 minutes.

There are only 10 minutes between 10:31 and 10:41.....
So I don't quite get your point.

Latest TCs

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-25 09:20:45

Yeah okay, not sure what's going on with the discrepancy to be honest. Scotsman and Independent releasing the 18 minutes figure as 'new evidence', but I think it might be that they are basing it on when the flight stopped responding over radio rather than the actual flight data.

Regardless, controlled descent seems to be the consensus.

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-25 12:18:39

At 3/24/15 09:51 PM, dem0lecule wrote: THE GERMAN? HOW?

We also wanted to pull a Malaysia once!

sick joke quota fulfilled

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-25 12:25:17

I feel incredibly uncomfortable about traveling by air now

420 blaze it

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-25 16:07:10

My prayers reside within their 14th chamber

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-25 17:27:19

At 3/24/15 11:26 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Planes should be made out of crash proof material.

In a weird and strange way, aviation becomes safer with each and every accident that occurs.

NG UOTD 2/4/11 | I run a Minecraft server. | Con los terroristas

BBS Signature

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-25 21:05:34

At 3/25/15 09:01 PM, glumper wrote: hWOA apparently one of the pilots was locked out of the cockpit and can be heard on the recordings trying to break the door down to get back in.

You suppose the co-pilot was sleeping, died, or there was something more sinister going on...

Mind you they still speculate the pilot of MH270 put it in the water in purpose.

At 3/25/15 09:05 PM, BanditWoolyBear wrote: You suppose the co-pilot was sleeping, died, or there was something more sinister going on...

Goodness knows. Sleeping wouldn't appear to explain it, as you'd have thought he'd wake up. If it was something more sinister, a controlled descent into a nondescript mountain face seems an odd choice. But going on the basis of notoriously reliable Comments on Internet Forums, in the case of a pilot being incapacitated the second pilot should still be able to enter the cockpit if all functions as intended, unless he is actually prevented from doing so.

Flight tragedies are fascinating. In a morbid sort of way.

RIP

Response to Plane crash in French Alps 2015-03-26 02:56:30

At 3/25/15 09:01 PM, glumper wrote:
hWOA apparently one of the pilots was locked out of the cockpit and can be heard on the recordings trying to break the door down to get back in.

What a slip-up-- or work of Machiavellian sabotage, whichever surfaces first.

At 3/25/15 09:05 PM, BanditWoolyBear wrote: MH270

*MH370

Updates from press conference:

- Co-pilot not known as terrorist

“I think he refused to open the door and turned the button to get down the plane. It was a voluntary action on the part of the co-pilot... He is not known as a terrorist, absolutely not.”

- Co-pilot did not utter a single word

The co-pilot is German, says Robin. “He was breathing normally, he did not utter a single word” after the pilot left the cabin.

- 'The intention was to destroy this plane'

Robin says most plausible interpretation is that co-pilot refused to open the door to the pilot and he took the plane down. “The intention was to destroy this plane”.

- Marseille prosecutor says co-pilot put plane into a dive
- Only one pilot was in cockpit at time of crash

If we are to presume something similar happened on the MH370 flight, that's a massive death toll over the course of one year resulting from pilots deliberately crashing planes.