00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LuckyCheshire just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What would you do in this case?

719 Views | 17 Replies

What would you do in this case? 2015-03-20 23:08:21

Imagine you had to jobs, and made close to 1000$ a week. You were saving up money for a house even.

But then you had kidney failure, got dumped because of said kidney failure, had to have surgery leaving you unable to work for quite awhile, lost one of your jobs, found out someone spent 1000$ on your credit card which you now have to pay, just found out everyone is getting a wage cut in your other job, and have just about used up all your savings to pay for the surgery and tests you have to do to prepare for possible dialysis and kidney transplant, and will maybe not even make 200$ a week now and might lose your car if you can't come up with the money next month for your car note and are limited in jobs you can do/apply for since your still in recovery?

Would you:
A) Just suicide and see if there's something better than this shit in death
B) Wait it out and just hope you can manage to not end up with literally everything lost
C) Other

(Also, fuck all the people who think we shouldn't have universal healthcare in America, burn in fucking hell.)

Response to What would you do in this case? 2015-03-20 23:29:23

At 3/20/15 11:08 PM, Hezio wrote: Would you:
C) Other

Not have this problem in the first place because I have health insurance.

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to What would you do in this case? 2015-03-20 23:31:25

At 3/20/15 11:27 PM, Sekhem wrote: you were making 1k a week, working two jobs, and you still couldn't afford health insurance? lol

your parents should have told you that health insurance is a must

don't blame america for something that is clearly your fault

That is WITH health insurance.
Top tier health insurance.
as in only a 10% copay.
But when just your vein mapping costs 5,000, your looking at a 500$ co pay.
And that's not including the cost of the surgery, or tests, or more, in a single month.
If I didn't have any health insurance, there would only be an Option A because nothing would have been affordable.

Response to What would you do in this case? 2015-03-20 23:46:34

At 3/20/15 11:36 PM, 24901miles wrote: Hire a financial negotiator to help me reduce my payments.

I've been paying the full amount using my savings

Spend my bedridden recovery time studying to master a skill which could make my life worthwhile.

In America, pretty much any skill is monetized.
You could be a computer whiz, for example, but if you don't have a little paper that proves it (despite being able to prove it through skill), not even geek squad will hire you.

And French can only take me so far as a third language.

Response to What would you do in this case? 2015-03-20 23:51:24

At 3/20/15 11:37 PM, Sekhem wrote: what's your deductible?

should be around 2500$ and then they pay the rest (if you really have "top tier" insurance)

2,000$.

The main problem here though isn't that my hospital expenses will cap out (which they already almost have), it's that no money is coming in because I haven't been able to work, and bills keep coming and while normally in a situation like this I would get another second job to earn extra money again, the surgey has left me limited in job prospects that would pay well quickly, such as construction or beehive removal for at least another month minimum.

And although eligible disability, it won't be enough to cover all my bills.

Response to What would you do in this case? 2015-03-21 00:20:11

in your case i'd probably seek out some help from family or friends. At first i thought this was a hypothetical question but after seeing your response i don't think thats true.

don't kill yourself, you'll get through it.

BBS Signature

Response to What would you do in this case? 2015-03-21 00:47:43

At 3/21/15 12:13 AM, 24901miles wrote:
At 3/20/15 11:46 PM, Hezio wrote:
At 3/20/15 11:36 PM, 24901miles wrote: Hire a financial negotiator to help me reduce my payments.
I've been paying the full amount using my savings
They'll do that. They bleed you dry and then offer to let your relatives cover the cost and then put you on a payment plan.

Do your best to withhold payment as a negotiation tactic. Try to strike a deal which gets a return of what you have already paid. Don't let them extort you.

Except they have as much time as they want and they know mine is limited. They win every time.

Wish I was born in Canada...

Response to What would you do in this case? 2015-03-21 01:51:12

At 3/20/15 11:08 PM, Hezio wrote: But then you had kidney failure, got dumped because of said kidney failure, had to have surgery leaving you unable to work for quite awhile, lost one of your jobs, and have just about used up all your savings to pay for the surgery and tests you have to do to prepare for possible dialysis and kidney transplant...

Do I know you?

Response to What would you do in this case? 2015-03-21 08:51:05

At 3/20/15 11:08 PM, Hezio wrote: Imagine you had to jobs, and made close to 1000$ a week. You were saving up money for a house even.

k

But then you had kidney failure

Shouldn't be drinking so much.

got dumped because of said kidney failure

Lawyer-up, delete Facebook, hit the gym.

had to have surgery leaving you unable to work for quite awhile

Become a welfare leech like everyone else.

lost one of your jobs

Get new job.

found out someone spent 1000$ on your credit card which you now have to pay

You don't have to pay that shit. Call the bank.

just found out everyone is getting a wage cut in your other job

Sh*t.

and have just about used up all your savings to pay for the surgery and tests you have to do to prepare for possible dialysis and kidney transplant, and will maybe not even make 200$ a week now and might lose your car if you can't come up with the money next month for your car note and are limited in jobs you can do/apply for since your still in recovery?

(Also, fuck all the people who think we shouldn't have universal healthcare in America, burn in fucking hell.)

Universal healthcare? $1000 a week is more than enough to afford private-sector healthcare. By a wide margin. You're blaming others for something you should have gotten. I bet when you lose the car you should have bought out-right you're going to blame the gubbamint for not having enough public transit to carry your special snowflake ass around, right?

lmao

Response to What would you do in this case? 2015-03-21 08:54:39

spend some money, make it right back. hit the streets, grind hard and double those staks

winner of the first annual NG Hunger games

life is just a trek, a quest to obtain knowledge, power, perhaps domination. maybe someone will win the race someday

BBS Signature

Response to What would you do in this case? 2015-03-21 09:09:15

alright man here's what id say

keep looking for jobs, even if you possibly have to move a bit out of the way to get them, or they're not top-tier work, as long as its not strenuous.

maybe sell the car you own, pay it off, and buy a cheaper but reliable one (obviously only works if it's a high-value car)

fuck the girlfriend, nobody needs somebody in your life that wont support you through hardships. one of the vows they have you say when you marry is "through sickness and in health", of which you already figured out she cant uphold, so good that you found out now huh? maybe youll end up banging a hot nurse

and honestly, if your kidneys failed because of booze you need to slow down buddy

cancel the credit card... cant they prove it wasnt you and reimburse you?

all in all i hope your situation gets better, i really do. it might be a long road but sometimes shit like this happens because something better will blossom out of it

you have my support

Response to What would you do in this case? 2015-03-21 09:47:05

The thing about medical bills is you just throw $5 biweekly at your bill and they'll shut up. Just keep chipping away and don't even think about them. There's no interest and you can worry about them when you're back on your feet. Sell your car and get one that is covered by the cost of what you make for your car.

Then just keep trying, find if you qualify for any government assistance and use them to get back on your feet. For about two months I received food stamps, it was very temporary until I had gotten a better job. That's what the system is for, people who truly need it and just need a hand to be able to do it themselves.

Don't worry about your girlfriend, obviously she wasn't worth holding onto if she would leave because of illnesses. Hell, even if that has to be your first motivation for awhile, just keep remembering what it's going to feel like when her life sucks and you've not only gotten back to your original self, but you've hit it really big.

You were making $52,000 a year. I live off of about $10,000 less than that, pay for everything for a family of three including paying for my spouse to go to college, daycare, all the bills, food, babysitters, etc... with no assistance and the only debt I have is a few more car payments of $125. It's not only possible and I hate to say it, it's easy. Just don't give up. Pave your own future and path with the decision that you can do it right here and now.

Response to What would you do in this case? 2015-03-21 10:35:16

At 3/21/15 07:58 AM, supergandhi64 wrote: i have no sympathy for weaklings

--supergandhi64

Same.

Holy shit how bad can you be at managing your money. I work at a call center and I hear peoplewith less income manage to get a better insurance. THen again, I dont live in the US so I dont know how everything works there.

ゴ ゴ ゴ The sig emmits a menacing aura... ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ

BBS Signature

Response to What would you do in this case? 2015-03-21 11:19:58

What I would do in that case:

First of all, I'd move to a country where they don't charge me for saving my life. Which is basically anywhere outside the US. Which makes me realize I already live in such a country. Well then, joke's on you.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to What would you do in this case? 2015-03-21 16:20:26

At 3/20/15 11:08 PM, Hezio wrote: got dumped because of said kidney failure

Well that automatically makes them a shitty person ._.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to What would you do in this case? 2015-03-21 16:45:19

At 3/21/15 08:51 AM, Bit wrote: Shouldn't be drinking so much.

Where does everyone get that I drink? I actually don't drink at all, and in the past only had a few beers.
The reason my kidneys are failing is an autoimmune disorder where my white blood cells are destroying the kidneys.

Lawyer-up, delete Facebook, hit the gym.

Don't have a Facebook, can't work out yet due to surgery recovery.

Become a welfare leech like everyone else.

I just looked into that actually, and found many special clauses that are meant to help specifically people with End Stage Renal Disease.

lost one of your jobs
Get new job.

Limited, and the main problem is all the hospital visits make it hard to get a job period, because I would need a job with a flexible schedule, like Uber (which didn't hire me for unknown reasons - said it was background report, even though my copy of the report shows my clean driving record, and when contacting them, they tell me to contact the background report company, who then tells me to talk to Uber about it, and it just went in an endless loop).

You don't have to pay that shit. Call the bank.

I've been trying to get that fixed for weeks now, but they won't fix it. Alternative?

just found out everyone is getting a wage cut in your other job
Sh*t.

Yup.

Universal healthcare? $1000 a week is more than enough to afford private-sector healthcare. By a wide margin. You're blaming others for something you should have gotten. I bet when you lose the car you should have bought out-right you're going to blame the gubbamint for not having enough public transit to carry your special snowflake ass around, right?

At least skim through before saying something. I already mentioned I do have private sector health insurance. That's still $2,000 in medical bills in a single month.

And the 1000$ a week was before taxes, and just since January, when I managed to get a decent second job and was working 70+ hours a week. Most of the money I was making was used to repair the house and help my mother finish off her medical bills from a surgery she had a while ago. Just replacing the A/C cost $5,000 and the electrical wiring (it had to be changed, it posed a hazard, and by that I mean outlets would spark randomly) was another $9,000.

Response to What would you do in this case? 2015-03-21 17:05:13

At 3/21/15 09:47 AM, Fro wrote: Sell your car and get one that is covered by the cost of what you make for your car.

I can't sell the car yet, it's still under payments.

Then just keep trying, find if you qualify for any government assistance and use them to get back on your feet. For about two months I received food stamps, it was very temporary until I had gotten a better job. That's what the system is for, people who truly need it and just need a hand to be able to do it themselves.

I'm now looking into it. I kind of hate to do it though; I hoped I'd never have to use welfare...

You were making $52,000 a year. I live off of about $10,000 less than that, pay for everything for a family of three including paying for my spouse to go to college, daycare, all the bills, food, babysitters, etc... with no assistance and the only debt I have is a few more car payments of $125. It's not only possible and I hate to say it, it's easy. Just don't give up. Pave your own future and path with the decision that you can do it right here and now.

Now get hit with medical bills going towards $2,000 and getting told you'll have to do dialysis, and earning significantly less money because of all the hospital visits, having to miss work at least once a week, being left unable to work for almost a whole month (which in your case would be a loss of about $3,500), and then, let's be optimistic here, and say lost half of two work days, which equal one work day of every work week, because of your future dialysis, and making $8,400 less a year (if you go exactly one year on dialysis[If you work 5/7 days, your making about 160 a day, and you miss essentially 52 work days accumulated, with then euqal 8400).

Oh, and then your cure for this is a kidney transplant.
This will leave you unable to work for6 MONTHS.
That means the year you have your transplant, your going to make about half of what you make (which in your case is $21,000/year or 403$ a week before taxes etc), that is supposing your job doesn't get rid of you for missing work for so long.

And to top it off, your required to have 2 people who can take care of you for the first 2 months before they will do a transplant around the clock (they have to sign the paperwork for this), because not only will you be to weak to do pretty much anything and can't drive, your immune system is being heavily suppressed to not reject the new kidney, and you can die from a paper cut if not careful during that time. This means your Spouse can't work either.

So you would have to look forward to earning half of what you do, + more medical bills.

I would also like to point out, before someone else says it, getting a kidney transplant does not save you, it only fixes the problem for 10-15 more years, if lucky, before you would need either another kidney or start dialysis once again.

Response to What would you do in this case? 2015-03-22 00:56:48

Shh, that's just how it works here. We're not supposed to do things the way the rest of the developed world does.

At 3/21/15 09:47 AM, Fro wrote: The thing abo-

HOLY SHIT WELCOME BACK WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN WE MISSED YOU

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)