00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab!

7,315 Views | 135 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-08 12:38:06

At 4/8/15 12:26 PM, dem0lecule wrote: I wish I could sing.

Go! you guys are awesome.

Can you clap, bang a pot, snap your fingers? We still need some percussion!

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-08 15:35:05

At 4/8/15 12:38 PM, Ceevro wrote:
At 4/8/15 12:26 PM, dem0lecule wrote: I wish I could sing.

Go! you guys are awesome.
Can you clap, bang a pot, snap your fingers? We still need some percussion!

I'd do somethin' for it, but I refuse to think that nobody else can jump in on the fun.

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-08 15:50:16

Exactly! Yeah, I can make a whole track by myself, but that's not the point at all!

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-08 15:53:20

Does anyone know some real-drummers out there that we can put the shout-out to?

At 4/8/15 03:53 PM, Ceevro wrote: Does anyone know some real-drummers out there that we can put the shout-out to?

My dad has a really nifty box drum, and he has some percussion experience, so I would ask him, but I have nothing decent to record it with!

Sent you the first WiP via PM!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-08 16:13:46

Yeah, just listened to the first version...sounds better than I'd hoped!

Dagnabbit, if I gotta play bongos on this thing, I'm totally gunna lose it on...uh...someone!

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-08 16:15:30

OK...For those of you who have submitted, Step has done an amazing job of doing the fine-syncing and stuff, so we have an initial demo, and we're hoping that we can get a little percussion done by someone here!

Here's the link:

https://instaud.io/6th

At 4/8/15 04:15 PM, Ceevro wrote: OK...For those of you who have submitted, Step has done an amazing job of doing the fine-syncing and stuff, so we have an initial demo, and we're hoping that we can get a little percussion done by someone here!

Here's the link:

Keep in mind it's still a work-in-progress, guys! Please let me know if there's anything you think needs changing (if you think your voice could be louder/quieter, if you hear any clicks/pops, etc). And again, anyone who wants to join in is more than welcome. I'll squeeze everything I can into the mix!

@MetalRenard @Rahmemhotep @SonicWombat

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-08 20:41:47

At 4/8/15 04:20 PM, Step wrote:
At 4/8/15 04:15 PM, Ceevro wrote: OK...For those of you who have submitted, Step has done an amazing job of doing the fine-syncing and stuff, so we have an initial demo, and we're hoping that we can get a little percussion done by someone here!

Here's the link:

Keep in mind it's still a work-in-progress, guys! Please let me know if there's anything you think needs changing (if you think your voice could be louder/quieter, if you hear any clicks/pops, etc). And again, anyone who wants to join in is more than welcome. I'll squeeze everything I can into the mix!

@MetalRenard @Rahmemhotep @SonicWombat

I couldn't tell you since I can't hear my vocals in the mix. Did you need me to redo them or sumthin'? Seems like there's only people singing on the chorus.

I love how you put the slide in the background like that. It would be too much if it were in the front.

Is there another guitarist playing along with Ceevro? It sounds like there are two guitars or something.

The only other thing I really notice is that Ceevro's vocals have weird like fragments on it that aren't there when I listen to them in the file he posted. Did you put a weird effect on them?

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-08 21:09:20

Sounds like he put an octave-chorus on the guitar, and probably auto-tuned my vocal (I'm not a flawless singer...GASP!). Though yes, there are a couple spots that sound just a little compressed.

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-08 22:31:54

At 4/8/15 10:29 PM, dem0lecule wrote: I have some large pots which sound pretty cool when banging them hard. Should I record them and contribute my part?

Yes. Yes you should.

At 4/8/15 08:41 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote: I couldn't tell you since I can't hear my vocals in the mix. Did you need me to redo them or sumthin'? Seems like there's only people singing on the chorus.

I love how you put the slide in the background like that. It would be too much if it were in the front.

Is there another guitarist playing along with Ceevro? It sounds like there are two guitars or something.

The only other thing I really notice is that Ceevro's vocals have weird like fragments on it that aren't there when I listen to them in the file he posted. Did you put a weird effect on them?

I actually thought you didn't send any vocals. I could only find a slide guitar. Maybe I missed it. Can you resend it Ceevro?

The reason why there are only multiple people singing in the chorus is because the other vocalists only had time to sing the choruses. You're right about me cutting out some vocals (though they werent always Ceevro's). There were a lot of rhythmic differences in the vocals so I had to do a lot of slicing and rearranging to sync them up, and in some cases it was near impossible to sync all vocals naturally so I had to remove a word from the vocalist that didn't sync up with the rest. Can you point out which parts sound noticeably cut out and weird so I can try working on them again?

Also, to answer your question, Ceevro and you are the only two who did guitars, but I did layer a guitar playing the bassline an octave higher in a few parts in the song. I thought it sounded good, but I can remove it if it doesn't!

Thanks for the feedback!

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-09 10:06:04

I'll double-check Ramenhotep's files...I recall there being a vocal too...but it was one file, if I recall.

I actually love the over-top layer...works well, and fills it out. And you certainly did some fancy splicing to make the timing perfect. I also notice that you managed to work my own playing into nearly metronome-like perfection! I know I don't have the skillz to do that! How'd you get it done?

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-09 12:21:33

At 4/9/15 10:06 AM, Ceevro wrote: I'll double-check Ramenhotep's files...I recall there being a vocal too...but it was one file, if I recall.

OK let me know!

I actually love the over-top layer...works well, and fills it out.

Yeah, that was my reasoning! I only have it going for around 5% - 10% of the guitar though. I actually figured nobody would notice something so subtle but man you guys have good ears.

And you certainly did some fancy splicing to make the timing perfect. I also notice that you managed to work my own playing into nearly metronome-like perfection! I know I don't have the skillz to do that! How'd you get it done?

I actually barely touched the guitar! It's all you hahaha.

For comparison, this is a version without any editing or mixing.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-09 12:32:01

I was right, the file that I sent you was the only one Ramenhotep put in the dropbox link...

@ramenhotep, seems like you only sent the slide, and not the vocal as well, unless I'm missing something!

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-09 12:34:50

That timing was me? I was actually embarrassed about it, 'cause I could hear a couple spots where I was off in the original. It would appear that my playing is better than my hearing...or you're just being nice and pretending that you didn't have to spend 26 hours making micro-second adjustments and splices.

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-09 21:10:39

At 4/8/15 11:44 AM, Ceevro wrote:
At 4/8/15 11:17 AM, etherealwinds wrote: Sorry guys and @step :( I'm back home and I didn't bring my microphone with me. Just here for the Easter break!
BEG/BORROW/STEAL! Someone's got a mic, dagnabbit!

Hahaha I have my dissertation and stuff to write :(

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-09 21:57:16

At 4/9/15 07:16 AM, Step wrote:
At 4/8/15 08:41 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote: I couldn't tell you since I can't hear my vocals in the mix. Did you need me to redo them or sumthin'? Seems like there's only people singing on the chorus.

I actually thought you didn't send any vocals. I could only find a slide guitar. Maybe I missed it. Can you resend it Ceevro?

The reason why there are only multiple people singing in the chorus is because the other vocalists only had time to sing the choruses. You're right about me cutting out some vocals (though they werent always Ceevro's). There were a lot of rhythmic differences in the vocals so I had to do a lot of slicing and rearranging to sync them up, and in some cases it was near impossible to sync all vocals naturally so I had to remove a word from the vocalist that didn't sync up with the rest. Can you point out which parts sound noticeably cut out and weird so I can try working on them again?

Also, to answer your question, Ceevro and you are the only two who did guitars, but I did layer a guitar playing the bassline an octave higher in a few parts in the song. I thought it sounded good, but I can remove it if it doesn't!

Thanks for the feedback!

Files

Yeah, I sent one file as dropbox and one as an attachment in the email. So one is attached to the email and the other is a dropbox thing. I actually saw this coming that y'all would notice 1 and not the other.

Vocals

No, no it's like only Ceevro's vocals have this weird lower warbling sound in them. I can't imagine what would do that.

Guitar

Nah, it's fine the way it is.

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-10 10:11:43

Shakers and tamborines sent!
Might lay vocal and harmony if there is time
or maybe some strange instrument

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-10 10:12:54

At 4/10/15 10:11 AM, RobSoundtrack wrote: Shakers and tamborines sent!
Might lay vocal and harmony if there is time
or maybe some strange instrument

Woohoo! Digeridoo solo!!

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-10 11:28:53

At 4/9/15 09:57 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote: Files

Yeah, I sent one file as dropbox and one as an attachment in the email. So one is attached to the email and the other is a dropbox thing. I actually saw this coming that y'all would notice 1 and not the other.

Whoops! Found it. I've added it in.

Vocals

No, no it's like only Ceevro's vocals have this weird lower warbling sound in them. I can't imagine what would do that.

Weird. Either way, I've redone his vocals. See if the next WiP sounds better,

Guitar

Nah, it's fine the way it is.

Alright!

BBS Signature

New WiP!

1.) Added a shaker and tambourine from @RobSoundtrack.
2.) Threw in additional backing vocals from @Ceevro and more vocals from @Rahmemhotep.
3.) Tweaked a bit of volume levels and EQing on @MetalRenard's and @SonicWombat's vocals.
4.) Followed up on the "warbly" sound in Ceevro's vocals. Probably a screw-up on my part. I redid them entirely; hopefully they sound better now.

If any of you have feedback, definitely let me know and I'll work on it!

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-10 19:22:32

I hate to be the one to say this...but the extra vocals on the verse are not working. Chorus? Yes. Verse...I'm not liking it. We need someone who can sing a reasonable harmony (I can't...I KNOW I'd screw it up), or we need to kill the extra vocals on the verse...just my thought. Perhaps I might redo the verse vocals an octave higher, in a more...normal voice? What does everyone think?

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-11 08:30:26

At 4/10/15 07:22 PM, Ceevro wrote: I hate to be the one to say this...but the extra vocals on the verse are not working. Chorus? Yes. Verse...I'm not liking it. We need someone who can sing a reasonable harmony (I can't...I KNOW I'd screw it up), or we need to kill the extra vocals on the verse...just my thought. Perhaps I might redo the verse vocals an octave higher, in a more...normal voice? What does everyone think?

Ah, that's me. Not really supposed to be harmonious. Just havin' fun doin' grungey vocals. Since I thought we'd have it be like a NG campfire, I thought I'd sing in a manner typical of my music.

Seriously, thought we'd have a bunch of people singing the whole song.

If we want this to actually sound 'good' I can redo it.

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-11 10:04:42

At 4/11/15 08:30 AM, Rahmemhotep wrote: Ah, that's me. Not really supposed to be harmonious. Just havin' fun doin' grungey vocals. Since I thought we'd have it be like a NG campfire, I thought I'd sing in a manner typical of my music.

Seriously, thought we'd have a bunch of people singing the whole song.

If we want this to actually sound 'good' I can redo it.

Yeah that might be a good idea. We don't have enough people singing the verses for grungey vocals to fit in there, I don't think. Feel free to redo them and send them over, and I'll add them in!

BBS Signature

Hey Step: I just tossed a new vocal in, clean, one octave higher than the original...seems to sound pretty decent with the original vocal...see if it helps here. It's syncing in my dropbox right now.

At 4/12/15 12:55 PM, Ceevro wrote: Hey Step: I just tossed a new vocal in, clean, one octave higher than the original...seems to sound pretty decent with the original vocal...see if it helps here. It's syncing in my dropbox right now.

Threw it in! Sounds good. I'm able to squeeze more instruments and even more vocals into the mix so if anyone wants to take the initiative, then go for it.

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-15 10:31:25

Awright...sounds like @Step is nearly wrapped up with the mix, though there may be a female vocal coming in tomorrow. If it doesn't get in, I think we can call the project pretty much complete. I can't wait to hear the final mix!

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-15 11:55:12

At 4/15/15 10:31 AM, Ceevro wrote: Awright...sounds like @Step is nearly wrapped up with the mix, though there may be a female vocal coming in tomorrow. If it doesn't get in, I think we can call the project pretty much complete. I can't wait to hear the final mix!

Speaking of which, @Rahmemhotep, are you planning on sending over reworked vocals?

BBS Signature

Response to Ceevro's NG Sing-along Collab! 2015-04-15 14:08:23

At 4/15/15 11:55 AM, Step wrote:
Speaking of which, @Rahmemhotep, are you planning on sending over reworked vocals?

Yeah working on them ATM.