00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

jet noise

543 Views | 12 Replies

jet noise 2015-03-11 02:38:10

dear bbs

young jester has problem

I live near a naval air base. Since the weather warmed up last week, jets have been flying low and constantly over my house from 4:30 PM to 1:30 AM every day. Right when one finally fades out, another screams in. I have to be up by 5:30 so I can manage 4 hours of sleep at the most. I've lived in this house for 3 years and have had this issue yearly, except this year i'm driving, taking more difficult classes, and doing other such shit that requires actually being awake. My family and apparently the entire city have no trouble somehow tuning the noise out, so when I bring up how much it bothers me I just look like a lunatic and get told to get used to it. Have recently begun hallucinating the jet noise even when I know there aren't any flying.

HELP.

p.s. why the fuck are jets allowed to fly over residential areas to 1:30 AM

Response to jet noise 2015-03-11 02:43:49

right them a letter asking them to be quiet at night and wear some ear plugs in the meantime.

Response to jet noise 2015-03-11 02:43:53

Few tips....

- Use white noise. I posted this ambient noise link a while back, it's a good one to use. Gradually increase the volume and complexity of your noise mix. By falling asleep to a source of noise, your mind will already be in a state where it can rest peacefully with chaos in the background. Introducing a new sound, such as a jet flying over head, loses its effectiveness.

- Alternatively, try ear plugs or wireless noise canceling headphones. The plugs only work so well, but if you can get the headphones AND turn on some white noise I don't imagine you'll wake up to a single jet even on the first night.

Good luck

(>'-')>

Response to jet noise 2015-03-11 03:02:21

Make yourself go deaf. Problem solved.

BBS Signature

Response to jet noise 2015-03-11 05:25:18

Sometimes when I'm running really fast I'll throw my arms out to the side and make a jet noise with my mouth that might be what you've been hearing

BBS Signature

Response to jet noise 2015-03-11 05:26:59

Take it out on the government Oklahoma style.

Please don't.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to jet noise 2015-03-11 11:07:49

At 3/11/15 05:26 AM, Painbringer wrote: Take it out on the government Oklahoma style.

Please don't.

I'm not ugly/socially retarded/politically inclined enough to be a terrorist

At 3/11/15 02:43 AM, Zhon wrote: Few tips....

I appreciate it; both promising ideas. Considering trying ear plugs and a fan by the bed at the same time because a fan isn't enough and I've never tried ear plugs but can't imagine they'd cancel noise to the extent that I need. If I've got time I'll give the ambient noise a try over a few nights, and if all else fails, I guess I need noise-canceling headphones.

Response to jet noise 2015-03-11 11:12:57

Get a SMG and walk into the airport demanding silence and chicken tendies.

ゴ ゴ ゴ The sig emmits a menacing aura... ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ

BBS Signature

Response to jet noise 2015-03-11 12:21:46 (edited 2015-03-11 12:22:02)

Have a TV clown run for congress so he can get them banned.

BBS Signature

Response to jet noise 2015-03-11 12:27:25 (edited 2015-03-11 12:27:33)

At 3/11/15 02:38 AM, Jester wrote:

p.s. why the fuck are jets allowed to fly over residential areas to 1:30 AM

Why in god's holy name (whatever that is) are you living near an airport?
Also, to answer your question, because they are commercial airliners that pay money to use that airspace.
What do you do?

Response to jet noise 2015-03-11 13:22:55

At 3/11/15 12:27 PM, Ketchemonia wrote:
Why in god's holy name (whatever that is) are you living near an airport?
Also, to answer your question, because they are commercial airliners that pay money to use that airspace.
What do you do?

I live in the coastal area of Hampton Roads, Virginia. To quote wikapedia, " Located at Hampton Roads are Naval Station Norfolk, homeport of the Atlantic Fleet; NAS Oceana, a Master Jet Base; Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek; and Training Support Center Hampton Roads as well as a number of Navy and commercial shipyards that service navy vessels." The Oceana base is about 20 minutes away so any plane coming in, going out, or doing practice is guaranteed to fly over.

Response to jet noise 2015-03-11 13:36:03

At 3/11/15 02:43 AM, finicalprickle wrote: right them a letter asking them to be quiet at night and wear some ear plugs in the meantime.

I agree, write them a letter, but write them a letter thanking them for defending your country. Then move far away you heathen.

BBS Signature

Response to jet noise 2015-03-11 19:01:44

When I visited a woman living near one, I timed my 10 inch revolver to cock a bullet inside her chamber when the jet flew past, her flatmate didn't even notice the loading. You dig?

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature