00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Whraen just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Adobe Flash - Looking for tips!

555 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Adobe Flash - Looking for tips! 2015-03-07 07:04:05

Hey guys, I've been looking for a few tutorials for stuff like screenshots inside of Flash and faux-3D (like in Doom, just flats arranged in a way that makes it look 3D). It could be my wording or it could be that it doesn't exist, but I can't find tutorials on them anywhere!

To further explain, I'm making a game at the moment that revolves around drawing. The player is to start off in a 3D box room with blank canvases on the walls. Clicking on one of the canvases opens up a 2D screen where the player can draw. Once they've finished drawing and go to exit back to the gallery again, Flash screenshots the drawing and calls it up whenever they go back to look at their 'art' on the canvas.

Thank you for any help ahead of time!

Response to Adobe Flash - Looking for tips! 2015-03-08 07:47:28

Bunp

Response to Adobe Flash - Looking for tips! 2015-03-08 10:26:13

Is it infeasible to just use a 3D engine?

You can use planes as walls. Opening up the 2D drawing section and saving that data is probably the easier part. You can save drawings using a shared object in AS3 (as bitmap data, as a byte array, whatever you need it as), and then retrieve and apply them as a texture to the correct plane (i.e. the one they originally drew to).

Response to Adobe Flash - Looking for tips! 2015-03-08 10:52:04

At 3/8/15 10:26 AM, Sam wrote: Is it infeasible to just use a 3D engine?

You can use planes as walls. Opening up the 2D drawing section and saving that data is probably the easier part. You can save drawings using a shared object in AS3 (as bitmap data, as a byte array, whatever you need it as), and then retrieve and apply them as a texture to the correct plane (i.e. the one they originally drew to).

This is totally what I would do, but I'm not sure if I can bring the 2D games into the 3D engine!

Response to Adobe Flash - Looking for tips! 2015-03-08 14:44:23

At 3/8/15 10:52 AM, neonpaint wrote: This is totally what I would do, but I'm not sure if I can bring the 2D games into the 3D engine!

Well if you're wanting to use Flash but still have 3D you could always look into Away3d

Response to Adobe Flash - Looking for tips! 2015-03-08 19:16:22

At 3/8/15 02:44 PM, Hero101 wrote:
At 3/8/15 10:52 AM, neonpaint wrote: This is totally what I would do, but I'm not sure if I can bring the 2D games into the 3D engine!
Well if you're wanting to use Flash but still have 3D you could always look into Away3d

I've looked at it, but it doesn't seem to work! I'll have another look tomorrow and see if I get better results. It could be something to do with my version of Flash and that it's a standalone app rather than an installed program.

Response to Adobe Flash - Looking for tips! 2015-03-09 18:19:53

Bumping incase there are other options!