00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

dankwoomy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

just taking a walk

1,468 Views | 20 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

just taking a walk 2015-02-28 05:00:17

I decided to take a walk. To Canada, that is. My mother isn't taking it very well.
MOM: Why are you doing this?
ME: Because, I want to go. Far far away.
MOM: This is the most stupid bullshit I have ever heard of in my entire life.
ME: I don't need your support.
MOM: Good, because you won't have any. You're doing this on your own.
ME: That was the plan, woman.
MOM: Have some fucking respect.
ME: I don't need to. I'm not under your grip anymore.
MOM: You're so full of shit.
ME: Bye.
So I walked out the door. I heard it lock behind me. I stepped out of the gate and into the world. It was now my home.
I passed the nearby familiar streets, looking around me with a bit of nostalgia. I never felt this while I was here to stay. I guess it's not going to be long before I'm homesick too. But as of now, I am homesick. I'm sick of being home. I am going to experience the world, even if it's the hard way.
Five miles into my journey, I walked a path that sent me to a part of the city I wasn't quite familiar with. I was already losing sight of what was once home, still in the boundaries of my city.
Ten miles into my journey, I sat down near a Spanish cafe to rest and think. I needed to plan in my head how I was going to do this. That's when a man sat down next to me. From the smell of his clothes, a homeless one. I imagine that's how I'll be soon. He told me his name was Bob. Robert for short. I told him that didn't make sense.
BOB: What do you mean that don't make sense? It makes perfect sense.
ME: Bob is short for Robert, not the other way around, my man.
BOB: Well aren't you a little fuckin' know it all.
ME: I'm just saying the truth.
BOB: Well, some things you should maybe keep to yourself. You don't see me tellin' you your shirt's too short for your chest.
ME: You could tell me that, I won't mind.
BOB: Yeah, well some people do mind. What the hell is your problem?
ME: I gotta go, man.
I got up and left the annoying homeless man behind. But he followed.
BOB: Robert is short for Bob.
ME: You're still here with that nonsense?
BOB: I don't see why the hell you gotta act all high and mighty spouting bullshit to people like you think you know what is and what isn't.
ME: Look. When something is shorter, it's shorter. Bob is shorter than Robert. Robert is a longer fucking word, so how can it be short for something that's shorter than it?
BOB: You got a lotta fuckin' nerve.
ME: I think you are the one with problems.
BOB: So now you're judgin' me. You're a fuckin' prick, you know that?
ME: How long are you going to follow me for?
BOB: As long as I fuckin' feel like following you.
ME: I have things to do that don't involve educating a moron.
BOB: Listen the fuck up. You don't know what the fuck you're talkin' about. You ain't educating anyone, you're just talking outta your ass.
I sped up my pace. He didn't. I was starting to leave him behind and I thought he was finally done with me. But from a block behind, I saw him walking. And then I heard him shouting.
BOB: Robert is short for Bob you cunt!
But I ignored him. I really didn't have the mental energy to deal with this idiot's bullshit. Instead, I proceeded onward. But every time I turned around, he was still following me. At least it was from a safe distance.
I decided I was feeling a little hungry, but had no money to buy food. I knew I would have to start begging soon. But regardless, I walked into a gas station and grabbed myself a pack of Starburst and walked out discreetly. That's when I noticed a woman running after me.
WOMAN: You didn't pay for those!
ME: Call the police, then.
WOMAN: Return them immediately.
ME: They're already in my mouth, ma'am.
WOMAN: You think you can get away with this?
ME: That's exactly what I'm doing.
WOMAN: Why don't you get a job, you fucking bum?
ME: Why don't you get a life? Chasing after people who you have no business with constitutes being a dumb cunt and a failure.
WOMAN: Look at yourself. Stealing from another man's paycheck. What kind of person are you?
ME: I'm a person who does not give a fuck.
WOMAN: Maybe that's your problem. Maybe you should give a fuck about some things, then maybe you won't be doing things that are only gonna hurt other people.
ME: How long are we going to have this conversation for?
WOMAN: As long as I feel like having it.
BOB (from a distance): ROBERT IS SHORT FOR BOB!
ME: You and that guy over there would be best friends, ma'am.
WOMAN: I don't like your attitude. You're a smug piece of shit.
ME: Bite my ass and call me Shirley.
WOMAN: Where the hell are you taking me to?
ME: To fucking Canada is where I'm going. You're gonna follow me there?
WOMAN: What, so you can steal some Canadian Starbursts while you're there?
ME: Maybe. I do what I do.
WOMAN: You should be ashamed of yourself.
At that moment, Bob sped up his pace to catch up with the annoying woman.
BOB: This guy's an asshole, isn't he?
WOMAN: He is, indeed.
BOB: He thinks Robert ain't short for Bob.
WOMAN: What does that even mean?
BOB: Robert is short for Bob, god damn it.
WOMAN: But it's not.
BOB: Oh, you too, bitch?
WOMAN: Who the fuck are you calling a bitch?
BOB: Both of you, you're both a bunch of fucking bitches.
They continued to bicker as I made my best effort to tune them out. I can't let these dipshits distract me from my ambitions. After another mile, it appeared the woman was not going to stop following me. Great. She and Bob didn't end up making good friends as I had anticipated, though. So she made about a half-block distance behind me, and he made about a half-block distance behind her. And they both continued to shout like I gave a fuck.
WOMAN: Return that goddamn Starburst if you have balls!
ME: You want me to vomit them onto the gas station counter!?
WOMAN: I want you to man up and do what's right!
BOB: You both don't know shit!
When I approached the main highway which led as far as Indiana, a truck veered off the road and hit both Woman and Bob. Woman died immediately. Bob was horribly disfigured and crawling on the floor.
BOB: Oh god, my legs! MY LEGS!
I ran back to give him help. I analyzed his wounds and knew immediately he would be paralyzed, possibly amputated.
ME: I'll call an ambulance.
BOB: I just wanted one fucking thing from you. One fucking thing.
ME: Fine, Robert is short for fucking Bob, are you happy now?
BOB: I want you to mean it.
ME: How can I mean what isn't true?
BOB: BELIEVE IT. ANYTHING IS TRUE IF YOU JUST BELIEVE IT.
ME: THEN WHY DON'T YOU JUST FUCKING BELIEVE THAT I BELIEVE IT AND THEN IT'LL BE TRUE?
BOB: FUCK YOU.
ME: No, fuck YOU. I may have some sympathy for your permanently paralyzed ass but you're still only holding me back from what I'm trying to do.
BOB: MAYBE YOU SHOULD CARE ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE BUT YOURSELF.
That is when the man who was driving the truck that hit them both got out of his truck and ran over to us. With a sledgehammer, he bashed the homeless man's brains in.
MAN: Just finishing the job.
ME: Why the fuck did you do that?
MAN: I don't need these two holding you back.
ME: You know me?
MAN: I'm your guardian angel. I've come to ensure you reach your destination.
ME: But you're going to jail now. There's like twenty witnesses on this street.
Then the man vanished before my eyes.
"I will always be with you." I heard his voice say. "Even when you can't see or hear me, I will always be with you."
So I continued on my way.

BBS Signature

Response to just taking a walk 2015-02-28 17:36:42

A simple walk to Canada..

Life is a party.

You are not invited.

Response to just taking a walk 2015-03-02 03:14:28

Nice flow, diggit, I thought it was easy to visualize. I dig the narration too, it's like it gives it a cool kinda style. XD

Thanks to Green-Chicken for the sig graphics, ur awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to just taking a walk 2015-03-03 21:28:16

Ok, I freaking loved this. It was written in such an attention-grabbing way, I couldn't stop reading if I tried. It was crazy enough to get me to just keep reading one more line, but not so out there that it was nonsense. I bet that this would make a great animation, it has a very Newgrounds-y vibe to it, if that makes sense.

Response to just taking a walk 2015-03-06 02:55:32

At 3/3/15 09:28 PM, LDAF wrote: Ok, I freaking loved this. It was written in such an attention-grabbing way, I couldn't stop reading if I tried. It was crazy enough to get me to just keep reading one more line, but not so out there that it was nonsense. I bet that this would make a great animation, it has a very Newgrounds-y vibe to it, if that makes sense.

I cherish this comment as I'm in a bitter mood and lacking inspiration. At least someone liked something I wrote.

BBS Signature

Response to just taking a walk 2015-03-08 16:27:46

At 2/28/15 05:36 PM, Little-Kinky wrote: A simple walk to Canada..

it was not simple for him to write that

his a poor minded

i dont know who this man is

lets do something else

I AM RAPPER ALYX I AM G EAZY I AM Z RO I AM THE KING OF THE GHETTO

ASK HOW

Response to just taking a walk 2015-03-13 07:12:54

this like a story.

Response to just taking a walk 2015-03-20 22:00:14

You ever seen 'My Name Is Earl' or "The Last Man On Earth'? That's the kind of atmosphere I felt.
Dry-witted, no depth but at the same time you become hooked to the story. The character was the best thing. I can imagine him like a 20-something man with dirty clothes living on Boston or Brooklyn.
I can't really say how much I loved this little read. This is some Adult Swim material here!

♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠/10♠!

Gonna open my bar on Glenside!

BBS Signature

Response to just taking a walk 2015-03-21 02:41:26

I walked around 150 miles a couple weeks ago and didn't have any interesting altercations with anyone

By the way, one of the best reads I've had

Beauty to Adorn, Wisdom to Contrive, Strength to support 7/4.6

BBS Signature

Response to just taking a walk 2015-03-21 02:42:35

You must tell me more about this story...
anyway, the clerk and bob shouldn't have died

BBS Signature

Response to just taking a walk 2015-03-21 03:21:21

Alternating ending*

So there we were..
walking down the highway

(like Verizon or some shit) and I tried to reaffirm the reasoning that had overwhelmed me earlier
but, these to tails were buggin the shit out of me! So I stopped
And when they got to me I said

"THIS IS WHERE I DRAW THE LINE, YOU DEAD BEATS NEED TO SCRAM!"
You both need to stop trying to tail me!

and Bob said,

"I have a confession"

Me: Chyeah, well what might that be?
Bob: I'm dyslexic
Me: Wha-
Clerk: I have a confession to
Me: Well spit it out
Clerk: I don't like Starburst!
Me: Your kidding, WTF is wrong with you?
Bob: come to think about it, I don't like them either
Me: WTF is wrong with you?
Clerk/Bob: Huh

And then they started making out

I was like, WTF

Then, I shook it off and told myself
"I'm fucking going to Canada"

BBS Signature

Response to just taking a walk 2015-03-28 21:19:11

At 3/20/15 10:00 PM, 8madness wrote: You ever seen 'My Name Is Earl' or "The Last Man On Earth'? That's the kind of atmosphere I felt.
Dry-witted, no depth but at the same time you become hooked to the story. The character was the best thing. I can imagine him like a 20-something man with dirty clothes living on Boston or Brooklyn.
I can't really say how much I loved this little read. This is some Adult Swim material here!

♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠/10♠!

The Last Man On Earth is one of my favorite movies. I like to write stories in this format. Dialogue-driven pieces with few characters. Preferably taking place in a short period of time. I am pretty shocked by the praise but it gives me a warm feeling.

BBS Signature

Response to just taking a walk 2015-03-28 21:48:22 (edited 2015-03-28 21:53:59)

The distractions were gone. Now I could continue my walk. Canada was still about 2000 miles away. On foot, that will take a lot of blisters and sunburns and boredom. I should've brought an iPod. Or an iPhone. Actually, I should've just stayed home. It's not too late, is it? Is this adventure really what I want? Or is it what I need?
A few miles of mental pondering later, I approached a hot dog stand. The man smiled as we met face to face.
ME: Hi. I'm hungry but I don't have much money.
HOTDOGGER: How much do you have? We can compromise.
ME: I have zero cents.
HOTDOGGER: That's not much at all.
ME: So I can't have a hot dog?
HOTDOGGER: No. They cost money.
ME: But I'm trying to walk to Canada and if I don't eat I'll starve.
HOTDOGGER: Maybe you should save some money before you go on your giant-ass existential self-searching walks then you whiny pathetic little fucking piece of shit.
ME: Whoa. That was really fucking uncalled for man. Can't I do you a favor for a hot dog?
HOTDOGGER: Yes. You can do me a favor by making money and giving me it. Then you get a hot dog.
ME: How do I make money without getting a job?
HOTDOGGER: Get a poster board and some markers. Rip your clothes up a bit. Make your hair messy. Appear as if you haven't slept in days. Then go to a busy intersection and ask for money from people waiting in traffic.
ME: But I don't have money for a poster board.
HOTDOGGER: What the hell are you doing, kid? Why are you taking this random walk? Why are you so unprepared?
ME: I just feel like doing it.
HOTDOGGER: But why couldn't you prepare for it?
ME: Because I just wanted to leave.
HOTDOGGER: Why did you need to leave so urgently?
ME: Because my home was a fucking trap.
HOTDOGGER: Why did you feel trapped?
ME: Because my family was emotionally abusive and controlling and were perpetuating a stagnant lifestyle for me.
HOTDOGGER: Why was a walk to Canada your only choice?
ME: Because I wanted to go far away, somewhere they will never reach me, somewhere I'm not used to, somewhere I can blossom as my true self.
HOTDOGGER: And who is your true self?
ME: My true self is... well, me.
HOTDOGGER: Who are you?
ME: I'm Brandon, the guy walking to Canada who's hungry and wants a hot dog. And I'm sweaty.
HOTDOGGER: Who do you want to be?
ME: I want to be the guy who's eating a hot dog right now.
HOTDOGGER: Kid. Go home. You're not ready for something like this.
ME: This is non-negotiable.
HOTDOGGER: You're gonna lose yourself more if you go without a concrete direction.
ME: What's wrong with being a little lost?
HOTDOGGER: What's wrong with it?? It makes you have no place on earth. You are nobody if you are lost. You have no story. You're a self-sustaining biological organism. You're just responding to stimuli. Find yourself and you'll be someone. You'll have a story. You'll have a soul. And you'll be responding to your higher self.
ME: I see. Can I have a hot dog?
HOTDOGGER: Fuck off.
So I fucked off.

BBS Signature

Response to just taking a walk 2015-03-29 13:46:50

Your story is morbidly hilarious with a kafkaesque twang. Love it!

Response to just taking a walk 2015-03-29 15:48:09

How about if all minimum wage workers follow you to Canada- hop the fence, fly American flags, and take their minimum wage jobs that nobody wants? It's 10.50 an hour there so...We could all chip in on mansions and live together

just taking a walk

BBS Signature

Response to just taking a walk 2015-04-02 04:13:36 (edited 2015-04-02 04:23:38)

When I made the decision to leave and walk to Canada, I must have been on some kind of drug. Because this walk is actually pretty torturous. And good god, I've only gone 50 miles. I've walked past one county and that's it. My legs feel like jelly. And I'm bored. I wanna listen to music but my damn iPod is home. Maybe I'll just sing a tune...

*TO THE TUNE OF BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY*

ME: This highway's really dull / These cars drive by so fast / Feet have sore blisters / No escape from this destinyyyy / ...How far's this walk? / Is it gonna ever eeeeend? / I'm just a duuumbass / But I'd like sympathy / Because I had no choice / I had no voice / I can't go on / I must stay strong / When will I reach Georgia / Doesn't really matter does it? / Dooess it?

(piano) doodoo doo doo doodoo / doo doo doo doo doo doo (/piano)

ME: Mama, I have fucked up / Made this impulsive judgment / That I'm surely gonna dread /
Mama, I'm not having fun.../ And now I wanna turn around and quit... /
MAMAAAAAAAAAAAA OOOOOOOH / Can you please come pick me up? / If I must walk this whole damn thing alone! / I will fall / I will crawl / And I'll be another dead man.... /
Too late, I've gone too far / Should've taken my dad's car / Or at least a bicycle /
Goodbye everybody, I have no home / And surely it's safe to say I'll beeee alone /
Mamaaaaaaaaaaa ooooooooh / I don't wanna die / But I do want to jump in front of a minivaann.

*guitar solo*

I see a little sign up there in the distance / Is it Stuart? Is it Stuart? Have I really walked that far? /
Suddenly I'm brightened / suddenly not frightened at all / galileo galileogalileo figaro magnifico-o-o-oh

boom boom boom boom boom boom boom

Oh mama mia mama mia / mama mia nevermind / This giant quest / will not be abandoned by my will / my will / my WILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

*epic guitarness*

Canada do you think I can't reach you by foot? / Close your eyes make a bet and watch as you lose all of it / oooh baby / This rendition is crazay / Just gotta finish / Just gotta finish this last part...

(Oh, yeah, oh yeah)

This walk has no purpose
Anyone can see
This walk is angst-driven
This walk is chaotic... to me...

Head North and I'll be hoomee....

Well, that was a good five minutes of my walk. Maybe I should make a career out of re-interpreting song lyrics as a cure for my boredom. Up ahead, a man with a bucket and a cardboard cutout which reads "need money" took notice of my presence. Oh god, no more encounters with the random folks in this state. Florida isn't the place to be making friends with strangers.

HOMELESS MAN: I need money.
ME: Sorry, I'm broke.
HOMELESS MAN: Yeah but I need money.
ME: Sorry, bye.

I walked away, half-expecting to be followed. Instead, when I turned around for a quick glance after walking 50 feet, I saw the man sitting on the floor with his hands to his face, apparently sobbing into them. As someone who would one day like to be comforted when I am in emotional distress, I couldn't resist walking back to the man. When I stood before him, he noticed me and jolted, quickly wiping any tears from his eyes.

ME: What's wrong?
HOMELESS MAN: Nothin man. Nothin.
ME: Why were you crying?
HOMELESS MAN: Cuz I got nothing.
ME: You have your clothes, your sign, your bucket.
HOMELESS MAN: Yeah but I got nobody.

I pondered for a moment whether it was a good idea what I was about to suggest. But I did it anyway.

ME: You wanna walk to Canada with me?
HOMELESS MAN: You walking to Canada?
ME: Yeah.
HOMELESS MAN: For what?
ME: I don't know.
HOMELESS MAN: That's a dumb reason brother.
ME: Fine. Be lonely here then.

I marched away slowly, sensing that the man would want to follow. He didn't do so. I turned around and shouted from the distance while quickly striding back to him.

ME: There's more generous people in Canada! You might get more donations for that bucket of yours!
HOMELESS MAN: You got a point there son. But fuckin' CANADA?
ME: Why not?
HOMELESS MAN: Why for?
ME: Because I can. Because it's in my will power to do so. Because it's not something you see anyone do. No one else can tell you about that time they walked from Florida to Canada. No, I will accomplish something special.
HOMELESS MAN: You're doing this to tell bar stories later to pick up chicks, arent ya?
ME: I'm doing it because FUCK what everyone else is doing. Fuck this industrialized bullshit society we've been enslaved by. I'm doing this because I can do what ever the fuck I feel like fucking doing.
HOMELESS MAN: You seem serious.
ME: I am!
HOMELESS MAN: I'll give it a shot, kid.

I smiled and thanked him. At least now I had someone to share this experience with.

BBS Signature

Response to just taking a walk 2015-04-15 12:41:08

This is turning out to be a rather interesting read. I'm waiting to see what comes of the young man's journey and what kind of lesson, dry and sharp as it may be, will be waiting for him.

Response to just taking a walk 2015-04-22 07:55:13

HOMELESS GUY: So this is your first runaway?
ME: I'm 21. This isn't running away.
HOMELESS GUY: This walk is weird.
ME: You can stop.
HOMELESS GUY: I'm curious. Canada's great. I don't mind traveling. I'm scared you will bail out.
ME: I'm not bailing out.
HOMELESS GUY: That's what they all say.
ME: I'm not. Bailing out.
HOMELESS GUY: Let actions speak.

When Homeless Guy and I reached a busy intersection, we asked for money from all the poor fucks who have to deal with us.

HOMELESS GUY: You got a dollar? Or two? Or 50 cents.
GUY IN CAR: No.
HOMELESS GUY: Come on, anything you've got. You sleep on a nice bed, I sleep on cardboard.
GUY IN CAR: Why should I care, you bum?

The light turned green and he sped off. I overheard the conversation.

ME: You can't just force them to pay.
HOMELESS GUY: Don't talk right now.
ME: You just need to--
HOMELESS GUY: I SAID SHUT THE FUCK UP.
ME: ....

In 3 hours, we collected 30 dollars. Some nice guy gave us a bottle of water too. Me and Homeless Guy will split it half and half.

HOMELESS GUY: Yo don't put your mouth on the bottle!
ME: What? You're homeless and you call that dirty?
HOMELESS GUY: WHY IS EVERYONE SAYING THAT TO ME? Because I'm homeless I am a fucking animal?
ME: No...
HOMELESS GUY: Do I NOT deserve better?
ME: I guess.
HOMELESS GUY: They think I'm lazy. I ain't lazy. I have no fucking brain.
ME: Look.

I pointed at a sign near up ahead.
PALM BEACH COUNTY

HOMELESS GUY: We've walked that far?
ME: We're not at Central Florida yet.
HOMELESS GUY: Yeah but...
ME: What?
HOMELESS GUY: Are you serious about this?
ME: YES. STOP QUESTIONING IT, I'M DOING IT, THE END.
HOMELESS GUY: Just tell me why.
ME: BECAUSE I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING.
HOMELESS GUY: You couldn't do that another way?
ME: I don't WANT TO BE SOMEONES FUCKING SLAVE. I set my own rules and my own boundaries and I don't give a FUCK how stupid this is to you. You can fuck off.
HOMELESS GUY: I ain't bailing.
ME: Then lets walk in silence.

......this might be a very long story

BBS Signature

Response to just taking a walk 2015-04-22 07:57:44

At 4/15/15 12:41 PM, BluMiu wrote: This is turning out to be a rather interesting read. I'm waiting to see what comes of the young man's journey and what kind of lesson, dry and sharp as it may be, will be waiting for him.

And thanks <3

BBS Signature

Response to just taking a walk 2015-04-23 11:28:54

What will the protagonist do when he can't go on the internet or make a phone call or take a bath for weeks. What if he gets hungry. What if this is a lot like Huckleberry Finn. These are all questions I am asking after reading your very interesting story.

I carry your heart. I carry it in my heart.

BBS Signature

Response to just taking a walk 2015-04-23 12:41:32

There aren't words to describe how bored I am. I think "super-fucking-bored" is as extreme as I can put it. I think the boredom outweighs the heat and the exhaustion. When I'm hot, I can just go to a nearby shelter. When I'm tired, I can sit down. When I'm bored? There's no cure for boredom of this magnitude without technology. My mother cut off my cell phone bill, so I don't have a way to contact my friends for leisurely conversation. The only person I have to talk to is--

"Say. Why don't we walk to Alaska once we get to Canada?" Said the Homeless Guy with a light bulb over his head. I gave him a look of awestruck WAT.
"Canada is where I set out to go and it's where I'll be staying. You can walk to Hawaii if you feel like it." Mockery is fun.
"Why can't you talk to me or anyone without feeling like it's such a burden to you?" The homeless man shook his head. "21 year olds are all the same -- selfish, stupid, and street smarts. No, just kidding, you have no street smarts."

Okay. I've had enough.

"Listen you motherfucker. That's it, you are not following me anymore. Go back home to your box and markers and live the remainder of your life annoying drivers for loose change to barely survive. You weren't cut out for this world so you let it out on me."
"And *YOU* call yourself cut out for this world? Random ass walks to Canada. Okay."
"No, I mean it. Get the fuck away from me."
"I told you I'm not bailing."

My blood began to boil.

"You are going to leave me the fuck alone or I will call the cops."
"With what phone?"
"I'll fucking push you in front of a moving car."
"Why say it? Why not just do it?"

I increased the speed of my pace. I am not in the mood. I am NOT in the fucking mood. That is when I remembered my guardian angel who murdered the last two people who wouldn't leave me alone.

"If you want to die, keep following me. If you don't, then turn around, go home, and suck dick for crack."
"Kill me then, kid. I already promised not to bail."

Angel. Please. Now. I need him eradicated. Please. Please.

"That didn't take you very long." Said the homeless man.
"What?"
"For you to call for your angel guide to murder me. That didn't take long. You really are a very impatient, cold-blooded person."
"Wait... you..."
"I'm your guardian angel."

BBS Signature