00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Stores selling food past useby date

1,376 Views | 14 Replies

So recently I purchased some shitty fake cheese slices things during my normal shopping session, and didn't really check the date in the store since that stuff lasts for a while so I just figured it would be okay, then when I was home I realised the use by date on it was December 2014. So 2 months out of date while being sold in stores.

So 2 things with this. First off, is this legal? What kind of shit could they get into for selling stuff past the used by date and how would one go along with teaching them a lesson about not being assholes trying to poison people?

And secondly, would the fake plasticy cheese slices with a use by date of 2 months ago still be safe to eat, or throw those away?

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Stores selling food past useby date 2015-02-25 21:54:24

There's this one store right where my grandparents used to live, and my grandma would send my family stuff from there, and it was expired by the time it got to our house.

Response to Stores selling food past useby date 2015-02-25 21:57:26

At 2/25/15 09:51 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: So 2 things with this. First off, is this legal? What kind of shit could they get into for selling stuff past the used by date and how would one go along with teaching them a lesson about not being assholes trying to poison people?

Yes, it is legal. At least in America, it is. Expiration dates are not mandated by the FDA. It's usually the respective manufacturers that slap the label on to prevent liability.

And secondly, would the fake plasticy cheese slices with a use by date of 2 months ago still be safe to eat, or throw those away?

Buyer beware!

BBS Signature

Response to Stores selling food past useby date 2015-02-25 22:00:38

At 2/25/15 09:51 PM, Ragnarokia wrote:

I throw that away
but if you watch bizzaaaarrrr foooooods
you will see that people ferment the living shit out of cheese for decades and eat it like we amaricans eat cheese boogers

The High Bunny Council Awaits

BBS Signature

Response to Stores selling food past useby date 2015-02-25 22:06:48

Just eat it. It's not gonna fucking kill you.

BBS Signature

Response to Stores selling food past useby date 2015-02-25 22:08:34

Not all expired food is bad for you.

Too many people are throwing away perfectly good food just because the label says so.

Just smell it first and then decide if it's bad or not.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Stores selling food past useby date 2015-02-25 22:09:34

In the states, there's stores called "salvage" they are shops that buy slightly expired items, items that had a coupon or a promotion that ended or things that just didn't sell.

With most foods, they're safe to consume well after the sell by date. (stores selling them is generally considered illegal, but if the store isn't doing well financially, they may sell slightly out of date items that won't be dangerous if past the date.

Things like artificial and processed foods can last months after the sell by date. So things like the "cheese" you speak of should be fine if cooked.

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

At 2/25/15 09:51 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: So recently I purchased some shitty fake cheese slices things during my normal shopping session, and didn't really check the date in the store since that stuff lasts for a while so I just figured it would be okay, then when I was home I realised the use by date on it was December 2014. So 2 months out of date while being sold in stores.

Well, all dairy products regardless of quality always go out of date very quickly. I used to work in a grocery store and often enough I would find cheese that was forgotten about at the back of the refrigerated area that was multiple months out of date. Sometimes it was still sealed and before it's date and it still had mold.
It happens but it taught me to ALWAYS check the date.
Technically stores can't sell it to you but that's only if they know about it, you could just take it back and try to get an exchange.

RIGHT-TILTING PENTAGON GANG

BBS Signature

Response to Stores selling food past useby date 2015-02-25 22:39:25

"With the exception of infant formula, the laws that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) administers do not preclude the sale of food that is past the expiration date indicated on the label. FDA does not require food firms to place "expired by", "use by" or "best before" dates on food products. This information is entirely at the discretion of the manufacturer.

A principle of U.S. food law is thatfoods in U.S. commerce must be wholesome and fit for consumption. A "best by", "use by" or expiration date does not relieve a firm from this obligation. A product that is dangerous to consumers would be subject to potential action by FDA to remove it from commerce regardless of any date printed on a label."

[Source]

First result from Google.

(>'-')>

Response to Stores selling food past useby date 2015-02-25 23:43:50

If you think cheese is expired, microwave it for a min or two. That should make it safe.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Stores selling food past useby date 2015-02-25 23:51:08

If you still have the receipt I would return it back to the store.

Response to Stores selling food past useby date 2015-02-26 00:02:53

Check those expiry dates before buying food next time, yo!

I mean who seriously doesn't do that? ... I mean aside from OP.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Stores selling food past useby date 2015-02-26 01:11:06

I remember this one time a can of rolled wafers were expired and i realised after the funny taste and the dirt like smell

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Stores selling food past useby date 2015-02-26 01:17:41

smell isnt always a good indicator of contamination and heating it doesnt destroy toxins that some bacteria produce

Response to Stores selling food past useby date 2015-02-26 02:12:16

At 2/25/15 09:55 PM, 24901miles wrote: The American's Guide to American Cheese

Q: Is it moldy?

N: It's good to eat.
Y: Eat it anyway.

Fix'd.

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.