00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

vestik just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

truth campaign is shit.

3,518 Views | 30 Replies

truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-15 23:33:29

For those of y'all not in the US the truth campaign is an anti-smoking organization. well tonight i saw this monstrosity they released on the airways. as a result I am seriously considering taking up smoking out of spite, good thing i live a stone's throw away from Methsouri so i can get cigarettes for cheap.

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-15 23:45:06

I think people just need to move with the times as it were. Cigarettes, electronic pipes and nicotine nebulizers will all be outlawed.

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-15 23:49:35

At 2/15/15 11:45 PM, finicalprickle wrote: I think people just need to move with the times as it were. Cigarettes, electronic pipes and nicotine nebulizers will all be outlawed.

Hell no, the shit i linked to in the opening post should be against the Geneva convention. do you really want those people to win?

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-15 23:51:37

Did you know that the Truth campaign is funded and ran by tobacco companies? They are legally required to do this in order to avoid responsibility for lung cancer victims.

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-15 23:58:46

At 2/15/15 11:51 PM, Richard wrote: Did you know that the Truth campaign is funded and ran by tobacco companies? They are legally required to do this in order to avoid responsibility for lung cancer victims.

I thought the Surgeon's General warning was suppose to absolve them of liability.

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-15 23:59:17

Remember children, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer. Work on mitigating it today. Tobacco contains radon progeny. The radioactive xenon cloud and all of the other radionuclides that were in the fallout of 2011 will also cause cancers. They things aren't fully contained in any facility and there are periodic covert releases of them. Be afraid

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 00:00:47

At 2/15/15 11:33 PM, All-American-Badass wrote: For those of y'all not in the US the truth campaign is an anti-smoking organization. well tonight i saw this monstrosity they released on the airways. as a result I am seriously considering taking up smoking out of spite, good thing i live a stone's throw away from Methsouri so i can get cigarettes for cheap.

In the words of Duke Nukem, "Smoke em if ya got em!"

Heh, not really, though. Smoking IS bad for you. I smoked for nearly a decade before I finally realized how stupid it was and quit (granted, I still smoke the occasional herb, but nowhere near as much as I smoked back when I smoked tobacco).

This being said, however, those who smoke are only bringing harm to themselves. I admire what they're trying to do with this campaign by raising awareness of the negative health consequences of smoking, but at the same time, if you're retarded enough to jeopardize your own health by smoking cigarettes, then it's not really anyone's problem but your own.

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 00:07:52

If second hand smoke did not exist, than most people would not give a crap if stupid people smoked all day long.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 00:11:13

At 2/15/15 11:58 PM, All-American-Badass wrote:
At 2/15/15 11:51 PM, Richard wrote: Did you know that the Truth campaign is funded and ran by tobacco companies? They are legally required to do this in order to avoid responsibility for lung cancer victims.
I thought the Surgeon's General warning was suppose to absolve them of liability.

That is part of the agreement. It was a large legal agreement with a shitload of clauses between the Fed and Big tobacco.

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 00:39:03

Id rather that, then the disgusting bullshit we get

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 00:40:16

fuk all this smoking bullshit. ive transcended way beyond that by now. only angel dust and that diamond/ice, the holiest of the holy. ever since i opened my third eye with the aid of these suppliments, i have no desire for such wordly and petty needs.

winner of the first annual NG Hunger games

life is just a trek, a quest to obtain knowledge, power, perhaps domination. maybe someone will win the race someday

BBS Signature

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 00:53:33

there are some pretty bold statements being posted, quit trying to flutter the dovecoats with "edgy" posts and instead go with the flow were having here. Smoking is wrong.

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 00:55:04

At 2/15/15 11:45 PM, finicalprickle wrote: I think people just need to move with the times as it were. Cigarettes, electronic pipes and nicotine nebulizers will all be outlawed.

That's not how the world works, tobacco makes too much money for the government

I think if people don't wanna smoke then they shouldn't do it and they shouldn't act like they're developing lung cancer if they're ever in the general vicinity of secondhand smoke for more than two seconds. I think that smokers shouldn't do it wherever they want to and drop their butts everywhere, or do it in front of kids (seriously old women who liked to smoke right across from my old school). Maybe if both sides can agree on these terms the world could be a better place hm?

BBS Signature

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 01:38:14

At 2/15/15 11:33 PM, All-American-Badass wrote: as a result I am seriously considering taking up smoking out of spite, good thing i live a stone's throw away from Methsouri so i can get cigarettes for cheap.

You're actually doing what they expect you to do.

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 07:10:16

I don't smoke because it's pretty goddamn It's a luxury I can do without. Also, both of my parents smoked, so I rebelled against them by not smoking.

The Truth campaign just makes me roll my eyes and want the program to come on that much faster.

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 08:17:35

The fact that people are still smoking at all really puzzles me about what they were thinking. Everyone knows it'll destroy your body, everyone knows it's extremely addictive (and even more so now than ever). And with the various methods to quit that now even include prescription medications people still won't quit. I don't understand people. I don't understand human logic.

BBS Signature

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 08:56:23

Alright, to all the smokers out there, it's story time.

My grandpa was a chain smoker and (surprise) died of lung cancer. My grandma never touched a cigarette in her life, and she also died of lung cancer. Guess what caused it? Right. Her husband's chain smoking. So fucking stop pretending it's just your personal thing if you smoke.

Thank you for your inexistent attention.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 09:39:46

I get that smoking is bad and stuff, (as an ex-smoker, I know this too well) but the truth commercials are some of the dumbest anti-smoking ads ever created, mostly because they use cheap pop culture jokes and pandering to teen culture that speaks the opposite of normal youth rebellion. Basically, it just comes off as propoganda to an uncaring audience towards teens and to adults are just so low brow and topical, it's hard to take them seriously.

If it weren't for the fact that tobacco corporations are more hated than even banks, they would be off the air a long time ago and be shamed alongside the other anti-drug ads of the 90's and early 2000's.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 10:04:12

At 2/16/15 09:59 AM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote: I think the smoking habit is hereditary. If your parents or family smoked, you most likely will, too

Not really, my grandparents smoked and both passed to lung cancer issues, whenever we went to visit them we always hated the smell of the smoke and it only made us hate the whole thing more due to being around it and detesting the smells etc. and then when they passed from issues related to the smoking it pretty much confirmed to us that we didn't want to do it.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 12:47:21

People seem to hate the truth campaign, but what if they did the opposite? A campaign to encourage teens to smoke. That would go over very well. lol

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 13:40:55

At 2/16/15 12:47 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: People seem to hate the truth campaign, but what if they did the opposite? A campaign to encourage teens to smoke. That would go over very well. lol

To be honest I think they'd be more successful in discouraging people to smoke if they released the same abomination of a commercial that encouraged smoking.

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 16:03:04

smokers need to admit they lose and surrender their tobacco products.

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 18:11:46 (edited 2015-02-16 18:12:14)

My theory is that the truth campaign is actually a subversive element making purposefully hokey ads in order to capitalize on the pull to rebellion already common to youth, securing the image of the cool and independent smoker.

In short, do you remember that South Park episode where the white break dancers said "If you don't smoke you can be just like us" and then the boys started smoking? Here's the clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwsDNeKqVHQ So basically that, but on purpose.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 18:32:44

At 2/16/15 06:11 PM, stafffighter wrote: My theory is that the truth campaign is actually a subversive element making purposefully hokey ads in order to capitalize on the pull to rebellion already common to youth, securing the image of the cool and independent smoker.

You hit the nail on the head on this one.

These truth commercials have the opposite effect that they are trying to pull off? Or maybe they are subliminally encouraging tobacco use?

All I know is I hate cigarettes (as a smoker myself) and commercials made by the government. The government usually has an ulterior motive

winner of the first annual NG Hunger games

life is just a trek, a quest to obtain knowledge, power, perhaps domination. maybe someone will win the race someday

BBS Signature

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 18:48:38

At 2/16/15 06:32 PM, NewgroundsNation wrote:
At 2/16/15 06:11 PM, stafffighter wrote: My theory is that the truth campaign is actually a subversive element making purposefully hokey ads in order to capitalize on the pull to rebellion already common to youth, securing the image of the cool and independent smoker.
You hit the nail on the head on this one.

These truth commercials have the opposite effect that they are trying to pull off? Or maybe they are subliminally encouraging tobacco use?

All I know is I hate cigarettes (as a smoker myself) and commercials made by the government. The government usually has an ulterior motive

They're funded through a monetary settlement between the government and tobacco companies. So it's even more cynical than you thought. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TheTruth.com#The_American_Legacy_Foundation

So you know, it's either what I said or a good natured mistake in which they encouraged teenagers to only have casual sex with non-smokers.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 18:52:42

i was at six flags with a lady friend and they said if we like their page on facebook they will give us a free tshirt, so my lady friend liked it and i got a rad tshirt of a worm coughing, ill post pics later.

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 20:10:02

At 2/16/15 07:44 PM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote:
At 2/16/15 10:04 AM, Ragnarokia wrote:
At 2/16/15 09:59 AM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote: I think the smoking habit is hereditary. If your parents or family smoked, you most likely will, too
Not really, my grandparents smoked and both passed to lung cancer issues, whenever we went to visit them we always hated the smell of the smoke and it only made us hate the whole thing more due to being around it and detesting the smells etc. and then when they passed from issues related to the smoking it pretty much confirmed to us that we didn't want to do it.
That was a little bit tongue in cheek on my part. Actually, i had an experience with grandparents similar to yours, only I ended up liking the smell of smoke.

It was classic behavioral conditioning. My young brain associated the warmth and gregariousness of my grannie with the smell of tar and sulfur. So whenever I smell a cigarette now, I am awash with fuzzy feelings of grandma's house.

I suppose it depends how long you are with / without them perhaps, if you live with someone who smokes it may force you overtime to become used to it, but with mine as an example I only went for the weekend or similar for a short while so most of the time I didn't smell it which meant the time with them was worse as a result.

But with that said my mother has a partner who smokes and she still can't stand it and he has to smoke outside etc.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 22:58:52

At 2/16/15 01:31 AM, SolXeroEraser wrote: Yeah, my uncle got cancer, and he hasn't touched a cigarette a day in his life.
Ironic.

That isn't irony.
Other things cause cancer y'know.

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 23:09:25

At 2/16/15 06:11 PM, stafffighter wrote: My theory is that the truth campaign is actually a subversive element

Dude...no seriously, I think you're on to something here. These people are not amateur dummies.

truth campaign is shit.

Response to truth campaign is shit. 2015-02-16 23:27:08

I mean, why i already know smoking's bad but from now on Truth, please put your ads on billboards next time.

"let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself" - FDR

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana