00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Necro's animation section (bts)

1,112 Views | 24 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey, I'm not really new here, I left my old account, "Crewsjp8", (which is just a bunch of shit) to make this new account here.

Anyway, I want to show you guys what iv'e been working on the past couple days. It's sort of inspired by Adult Swim bump animations and I personally think it's awesome. It's definitely not finished, but this specific part is (which is the intro). it's only about 8 seconds so far in total animation time and yes everything is animated in flash, frame by frame, no tweens, 24fps.

Total time taken to make: Estimated 10 hours.

Anyway here it is: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/a6632daae464428248703041f91e2209

Don't stop drawing, and remember, determination is key!

I will motivate you to do better, complimenting everyone!

BBS Signature

Response to Necro's animation section (bts) 2015-02-14 21:44:49

Nothing happens.

Make more stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Necro's animation section (bts) 2015-02-14 21:49:47

At 2/14/15 09:44 PM, Blounty wrote: Nothing happens.

Make more stuff.

What do you mean?
does it not play?

BBS Signature

Response to Necro's animation section (bts) 2015-02-14 21:52:00

It plays, when I meant nothing happens. I meant nothing INTERESTING happens.

Make something interesting, something people will want to watch.

BBS Signature

At 2/14/15 09:52 PM, Blounty wrote: It plays, when I meant nothing happens. I meant nothing INTERESTING happens.

Make something interesting, something people will want to watch.

Well this is just the intro scene to this big animation, I just wanted to get some opinions on the background animation and the art/style and pretty much everything else, but I guess i failed to ask for one.

BBS Signature

Response to Necro's animation section (bts) 2015-02-14 22:05:55

At 2/14/15 09:59 PM, necroreactor wrote

Well this is just the intro scene to this big animation, I just wanted to get some opinions on the background animation and the art/style and pretty much everything else, but I guess i failed to ask for one.

Background is shitty (I could do this in a few seconds)
There is no style, its a few triangles and squares most likely bucket filled.
Music is tinny (google how to get better sound quality in flash)
I can see you have tried some FbF work so thats pretty good but it looks like maybe 3 frames worth.

This is just constructive criticism though (I'm being mean to toughen you up) your going to have to work a lot harder and practice much more to get even a shitty amount of fans so might aswell tell you the truth while it's early.

BBS Signature

At 2/14/15 10:05 PM, Blounty wrote: At 2/14/15 09:59 PM, necroreactor wrote
Background is shitty (I could do this in a few seconds)
There is no style, its a few triangles and squares most likely bucket filled.
Music is tinny (google how to get better sound quality in flash)
I can see you have tried some FbF work so thats pretty good but it looks like maybe 3 frames worth.

This is just constructive criticism though (I'm being mean to toughen you up) your going to have to work a lot harder and practice much more to get even a shitty amount of fans so might aswell tell you the truth while it's early.

The thing about the background is it's not , "tweened" or anything, I don't know if that makes it better skill wise, but basically every single star is animated and looped (which was pretty time consuming), yeah it doesn't look great, but i thought it would be acceptable considering the time for that scene was so short. also the animation is 24fps, once again i'm not sure if that makes it better skill wise. Also those triangles and squares form a ship, I just thought people would notice it because of the rocket.

Also I don't know what FbF stands for, lol, but if your talking about the lights and that fire ball then thanks. Yes those blue lights are 3 frames, but I thought I could have something go along with the beat that didn't take too long to animate and looked good (to me at least). The green diamond lights are 8 frames, the fireball is 25 frames, and the lights that sort of go down the ship like a passing light is 12 frames. I thought it looked great, but i do care what people think about it, because I want to bring entertainment not shit.

One more thing, I appreciate your criticism because i was thinking this intro was finished, now i'm thinking maybe I should go back, and add/fix some more things. Thanks. And I forgot to mention i'm 15, not that it matters it's just I don't know any one who's 15 and can somewhat animate like that, not to be a bragging ass cheek.

I saw you morphing video, that is some good shit right there, I plan on animating similar stuff.

P.S. I know the music is shitty, when it is finished i will upload it in AVI form, so it will sound better ;). And in case you were wondering the song is flying lotus - sleeping dinosaur.

BBS Signature

Response to Necro's animation section (bts) 2015-02-15 11:32:38

At 2/14/15 10:37 PM, necroreactor wrote: The thing about the background is it's not , "tweened" or anything, I don't know if that makes it better skill wise, but basically every single star is animated and looped (which was pretty time consuming), yeah it doesn't look great, but i thought it would be acceptable considering the time for that scene was so short. also the animation is 24fps, once again i'm not sure if that makes it better skill wise. Also those triangles and squares form a ship, I just thought people would notice it because of the rocket.

Why not tweening the background if it's basically dots moving from one direction to another? There is no need to use a frame by frame animating method if basically the same thing could be done by tweening faster, more accurate and effective. The stars you drew aren't even moving in a straight line, and if it is unintentional it only stands for my point. Tweening is made to make an animator's life a bit easier, why not use it? People are impressed by the final picture, not how you did it or how long it took.

Also I don't know what FbF stands for, lol, but if your talking about the lights and that fire ball then thanks. Yes those blue lights are 3 frames, but I thought I could have something go along with the beat that didn't take too long to animate and looked good (to me at least). The green diamond lights are 8 frames, the fireball is 25 frames, and the lights that sort of go down the ship like a passing light is 12 frames. I thought it looked great, but i do care what people think about it, because I want to bring entertainment not shit.

FbF means "frame by frame", what he meant here is the whole scene is basically composed of a couple of objects repeatedly changind each other every frame. It's not hard to do, neither is impressive.

One more thing, I appreciate your criticism because i was thinking this intro was finished, now i'm thinking maybe I should go back, and add/fix some more things. Thanks. And I forgot to mention i'm 15, not that it matters it's just I don't know any one who's 15 and can somewhat animate like that, not to be a bragging ass cheek.

Does it really matter how old are you, dude? This animation is simple and beginner-ish indeed but experience is the same for everyone, 15 or 30 years old.

At 2/15/15 11:32 AM, FiksIIanzO wrote: Why not tweening the background if it's basically dots moving from one direction to another? There is no need to use a frame by frame animating method if basically the same thing could be done by tweening faster, more accurate and effective. The stars you drew aren't even moving in a straight line, and if it is unintentional it only stands for my point. Tweening is made to make an animator's life a bit easier, why not use it? People are impressed by the final picture, not how you did it or how long it took.

Yeah i will do it, because those stars are kind of crappy, I'm thinking maybe I add 1 background for the closest stars (which move a lot faster since they are closer), and a second for the stars that are far away (which appear to move a lot slower since they are far a way), and finally add a cool galaxy looking background in the back (which will move very slowly across the screen). Iv'e worked with tweens before, so it's not going to be too hard, thanks for the idea.

FbF means "frame by frame", what he meant here is the whole scene is basically composed of a couple of objects repeatedly changind each other every frame. It's not hard to do, neither is impressive.

Like I said, "It's definitely not finished", and "maybe I should go back and add/fix some things", the final product will look good, I just wanted to see if I was doing good with it so far and if I should continue.

Does it really matter how old are you, dude? This animation is simple and beginner-ish indeed but experience is the same for everyone, 15 or 30 years old.

You're right about that, it really doesn't matter. I just figured it would be maybe a little impressive but i guess I was wrong. Anyway, thanks for the tips I will update this with improvements.

Edit: This is what got me inspired for those who were wondering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhheiPTdZCw

BBS Signature

Response to Necro's animation section (bts) 2015-02-15 15:01:21

For what it is I think it's solid, The frame by frame looks good so far. And don't let some asshole tell you that simplistic artwork is unimpressive. Keep at it.

Response to Necro's animation section (bts) 2015-02-15 15:39:46

At 2/15/15 03:01 PM, ZazDupree wrote: For what it is I think it's solid, The frame by frame looks good so far. And don't let some asshole tell you that simplistic artwork is unimpressive. Keep at it.

Yeah, I mainly do what I want to do and I did actually intend for the style to be simplistic, so i'm keeping that in, i'm only working on what i think needs to be done to make it look better. I know a lot of people like simplistic style animation that's why it's on adult swim am i right? I'm currently working on making that space background better, and adding more effects and what not. Anyways, thanks for the compliment.

BBS Signature

Response to Necro's animation section (bts) 2015-02-15 18:05:26

I made the first new background to it and added the end of the intro, does it look better?

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/ea9451e081e2ddff66d1915c1d737613

BBS Signature

Response to Necro's animation section (bts) 2015-02-17 07:26:27

At 2/15/15 06:05 PM, necroreactor wrote: I made the first new background to it and added the end of the intro, does it look better?

It does indeed. Only one thing: background seems to be pretty stationary. Same stars going with the same speed. Could be different colors, sizes, speeds (is that even a word?). Still — looks good. Wish it was the whole episode by now though.
Wish you luck, dude.

Response to Necro's animation section (bts) 2015-02-17 14:43:32

At 2/17/15 07:26 AM, FiksIIanzO wrote:
At 2/15/15 06:05 PM, necroreactor wrote: I made the first new background to it and added the end of the intro, does it look better?
It does indeed. Only one thing: background seems to be pretty stationary. Same stars going with the same speed. Could be different colors, sizes, speeds (is that even a word?). Still — looks good. Wish it was the whole episode by now though.
Wish you luck, dude.

Thanks man, yeah i'm going to add smaller stars in the back going slower to make it look more realistic, and add the final galaxy background and then I will continue on with the animation. But I have an issue that is going to make the intro take a little longer to make, I merged the blank darkness in with the stars, so since it's one image I can't add more in the back, so I may have to redo that whole first background, but there's a plus to that, at least I get to improve it to make it look even better.

P.S. I'm almost positive speeds is a word, if you're talking about multiple.

BBS Signature

Response to Necro's animation section (bts) 2015-02-17 21:58:23

Finished the intro, made all backgrounds layers in, "Paint Tool Sai", but I have a question, does it look finished to you guys? I just need to know so I can continue with the style i'm going with.

Here it is: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/b7415dd3ea127d8d9826353a7b69fd6b

BBS Signature

Response to Necro's animation section (bts) 2015-02-17 23:19:51

At 2/17/15 09:58 PM, necroreactor wrote: Finished the intro, made all backgrounds layers in, "Paint Tool Sai", but I have a question, does it look finished to you guys? I just need to know so I can continue with the style i'm going with.

Here it is: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/b7415dd3ea127d8d9826353a7b69fd6b

This is decent, but what do you have against tweening? You can do so much with it, including frame by frame! The backgrounds look solid, but like the guy above me said, there's not a whole lot going on and I know you said that this is just the intro. As for the sound quality, is there anyway for you to work with mp3s? It seems like you might be working on .wavs to save yourself some data. If you're working with .wav's might I suggest going to your publish settings in the movie and changing your audio stream bit rate to 24 kbs. It might improve your sound quality, but this is an 'iffy' issue for some users and it might not change a thing! Overall, I enjoyed this and it reminded me of Catoblepas work! I hope to see the final result in the portal!

Response to Necro's animation section (bts) 2015-02-18 08:04:11

At 2/17/15 11:19 PM, CampbellZoup wrote: This is decent, but what do you have against tweening? You can do so much with it, including frame by frame! The backgrounds look solid, but like the guy above me said, there's not a whole lot going on and I know you said that this is just the intro. As for the sound quality, is there anyway for you to work with mp3s? It seems like you might be working on .wavs to save yourself some data. If you're working with .wav's might I suggest going to your publish settings in the movie and changing your audio stream bit rate to 24 kbs. It might improve your sound quality, but this is an 'iffy' issue for some users and it might not change a thing! Overall, I enjoyed this and it reminded me of Catoblepas work! I hope to see the final result in the portal!

Thanks man, and I don't have anything against tweening, I just don't use it too often, but now I will probably use it more. When the whole thing is finished it will have a lot more intricate animations, with a lot more stuff going on. With the sound quality all I have to do is export it as AVI, and the sound quality is normal, I would show you, but the maximum file size in the dumping grounds is 256mb or something, and the AVI file I have is 306, so I can't show you it till I upload it to the portal.

BBS Signature

Response to Necro's animation section (bts) 2015-03-14 11:02:25

Hey, I just came to to tell you guys that i'm still working on the animation, it might take a lot longer than it usually would because I have school and stuff.

Here's what i'm currently working on (the next scene).

BBS Signature

Response to Necro's animation section (bts) 2015-03-15 18:01:08

At 3/15/15 02:52 PM, Djsoul88 wrote: I've read almost every post in this particular forum and i've got to say that you really just blew my mind at the fact you took those words people fed you with, and threw it back at their faces(not everyone, just some of the people who replied). The intro looks really nice dude and for the sound quality, to fix that you can turn it into a .wav or .mp3 file. When your about to publish, go to your publish settings and change the Audio Stream and Audio Event (Depends on what you put your audio as but i change both of these settings) click set and change it to speech and set it to 44kHz mono. This works for me but if you feel you need to do something else, be my guest.

Thanks man, I appreciate it.
I think it's really sad though, how this animation is going to take allot longer to make than usual. I have school, I have homework, and I have to go to bed at 8:30 cause school is at 6:00 in the morning (sorry if this is too much detail). Anyway hopefully I can get a bunch done this week, and in the summer, but as of now this whole thing is probably going to take about a year to make.

BBS Signature

Response to Necro's animation section (bts) 2015-05-08 18:55:11

Hello guys, I came here to say that the files for this animation have been corrupted, so until I somehow get these files back, I will not be able to continue animating this project and I am sorry to any one who wanted to see this animation in the movie portal. However, you don't have to worry because I am starting a new project that will have outstanding animation. Also I have been practicing art a lot more, so you will see an improvement in the art as well. To anyone who is interested, the animation will be comedic. Let me know if you are interested in any updates on this animation.

BBS Signature

Response to Necro's animation section (bts) 2015-08-14 14:55:29

Hey, sorry I don't post here often but I've been working on something and I just would like some criticism on it. I don't know exactly what it is but it looks cool to me. I'm making a abstract/psychedelic type of animation that will be from 3-6 mins and this is a small bit.
Keep in mind that I have not polished it yet, so yea it a bit choppy.

BBS Signature

Response to Necro's animation section (bts) 2015-08-14 16:03:47

I like this a lot. The movement matches the style, so I don't perceive any "choppiness" as off-putting.

Reminds me of Blockhead: The Music Scene music video, which is also pretty cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhheiPTdZCw

At 8/14/15 02:55 PM, necroreactor wrote: Hey, sorry I don't post here often but I've been working on something and I just would like some criticism on it. I don't know exactly what it is but it looks cool to me. I'm making a abstract/psychedelic type of animation that will be from 3-6 mins and this is a small bit.
Keep in mind that I have not polished it yet, so yea it a bit choppy.

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

At 8/14/15 04:03 PM, maficmelody wrote: I like this a lot. The movement matches the style, so I don't perceive any "choppiness" as off-putting.

Reminds me of Blockhead: The Music Scene music video, which is also pretty cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhheiPTdZCw

Thanks, I appreciate it a lot!
that's actually what I got inspired by! thanks adult swim!

BBS Signature

Response to Necro's animation section (bts) 2015-08-15 21:56:51

Added some more, took like all day on and off, looks pretty good to me and I'll probably add more tomorrow. Now, about the animation... I may continue pending on if i get some good music to go along with it, or if I want to continue writing this storyboard I have for a comedic type of animation, what do you guys think?

P.S. there's no hidden genitals or anything, I swear... hehehe!

BBS Signature

Response to Necro's animation section (bts) 2015-08-19 18:05:12

Ok, I added a lot more and now I have 7 seconds done and 99 frames drawn and need some criticism please! took me like 4 days on and off. cleaned it up a bit before I posted, but not entirely sure if everything is good. The finished video will be polished, so keep that in mind! and yes I still have to color it!

With audio: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/3403c1ef438f237b345a956670628ae9

Please note that I know the audio is shit, it will be %100 better when it's rendered through Sony Vegas (video editing software) for those who don't know.

BBS Signature