00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TarikNakich just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Advice for a Beginner?

450 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Advice for a Beginner? 2015-02-04 06:24:46

Hey everyone
So I'm fairly new to animating in flash. Though I do know basic stuff like using graphics, using cameras, and doing lip syncing.
I've started to make videos about experiences I've had in my life (the funny ones at the moment anyway).
I've made two videos so far - an introduction of me and one story, and although I think I have improved even in the space of those two animations, they still feel sort of "dead" if you know what I mean. Like they don't seem lively enough...

So what should I do? Should I maybe abandon my grey-scale style and use colour?
I don't know.
I'm not really sure what to do or how to progress so any advice would be good

Thanks!
Ehronaut

Response to Advice for a Beginner? 2015-02-04 08:19:16

At 2/4/15 06:24 AM, Ehronaut wrote: Hey everyone
So I'm fairly new to animating in flash. Though I do know basic stuff like using graphics, using cameras, and doing lip syncing.
I've started to make videos about experiences I've had in my life (the funny ones at the moment anyway).
I've made two videos so far - an introduction of me and one story, and although I think I have improved even in the space of those two animations, they still feel sort of "dead" if you know what I mean. Like they don't seem lively enough...

So what should I do? Should I maybe abandon my grey-scale style and use colour?
I don't know.
I'm not really sure what to do or how to progress so any advice would be good

Thanks!
Ehronaut

The only problem I see is your animation is too... Static. It's clean, but it's boring to watch. Color won't do much unless you well... Animate the characters more.

Maybe go over and make an entry for the Sheep Collab, You can talk over moving pictures yes, but it isn't really what I'd call animated. Sit down and act out your stories, then draw what you acted out, you aren't making a comic.

Exaggerate! Squash! Stretch! You have videos of a character talking in scenes but that's just boring to watch, it may have worked for Swoozy, but his stories were interesting, full of hyberbole, with images to match everything he said.

On your intro video, You listed off things you like doing, but you just drew symbols of those things in a thought cloud. SNORE. you should have actually drawn clips for each of those things, even if they were only 3 or 4 frames long, it would have been monumentally more interesting to watch.

Hope that helps and made sense.

Response to Advice for a Beginner? 2015-02-04 12:41:09

I like what you've got going for you. Your microphone quality is clean, your lip syncing is well timed, but I see what you mean in feeling dead. It seems like you have more pictures than you do actual movements. There's the occasional arm movements and mouth movements, but it's not a lot. Try expressing more emotion from your character and maybe getting a little crazy with the voices! Then you have room to move your character around. I was watching your toilet video and I saw the way you did the butt filling with poo and I thought you could have done that better. Like instead of just immediately jumping to a fully loaded butt, you could have done some in-between work and transitioned nicely into it. Overall you've got some solid stuff especially for a beginner! Never give up friend, I look forward to seeing what you can come up with!

Response to Advice for a Beginner? 2015-02-05 02:20:17

Thanks thanks thanks!

Response to Advice for a Beginner? 2015-02-05 02:21:38

Thank you!
Yeah i get you :) Thanks