00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ahmad117 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

A small relapse for no good reason

2,458 Views | 39 Replies

I've learned that a good portion of the NG community are either drug seekers, addicts or habitual users. Same applies for alcoholism. Most of the older fanbase, including me have had at some point in their lives struggled with some issues with drugs or alcohol. I'm here on a sweet, sexy PSA to the younger fanbase on why you really shouldn't shoot up with your homies or maybe why drinking Everclear for breakfast isn't smart.

I spent a good few years doing drugs. Sure, it was fun at first. The wake and bakes, doing stimulants and chilling out on a barbiturate or a benzodiazepine. Sometimes, doing a bit of harder stuff with friends, coke and jack and coke were fun at parties; all fun and games.

It's fun till you get hurt or someone gets hurt and/or dies. I've seen friends who became toothless meth addicts with sores all over them, seeking out copper like some kind of backwoods werewolf. A friend and his girlfriend 'found' so much copper one time and filled a barrel with it that it broke the shocks of their car. I've seen friends smoke Oxycontin with a aluminum sheet and a pen straw and never wake up. I've seen people shoot up on dope only to have me do sternum rubs and resuscitated them only for them to shoot up again. I've seen people do so much pot that all they do is watch reruns of Wilfred and Arrested Development over and over again. Sometimes, you just got to watch something else, like House. I've seen family that have nearly drank themselves to death and have forgotten their ways. The sad thing, with the exception of heroin or meth, I've participated in most of these activities.

My father worked in a methadone clinic in the Bronx and Harlem back in the 70s. With the heroin epidemic, he had always told me, "Son, I will only ever give you one chance in life to fix a drug addiction. After that, if you ever get hooked again, you are gone." I always had a suspicion he knew I had been on drugs, but he knew I could fix my issues because I never went completely on the deep end. My sisters, both of them; heroin, meth and cocaine; both now estranged from life, had lost their chance. My brother spent his one chance for treating his alcoholism, and he's on the rise again. He still drinks, but I assume, it's not nearly as much.

It's all fun and games until someone dies. I've received calls from frantic friends telling me about so and so who OD'ed and rushed to so many different hospitals to see them blue and grey. I've OD'ed twice in my life, which put me on a path to never do opiates again unless it's from a hospital or if I'm dying. There is no religious salvation or light in a tunnel; it's just pure panic and speculation. It feels like a prolonged suicide to overdose.

On the flipside, I've relapsed so many times in my life, I could say I can always anticipate it. And, if you ever need a hand to talk about fixing your issues; ask me. Have a good day.

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 10:49:36

This is a good thing that you do, HKS. I'm sure there are a lot of NGers who have gone down the wrong path, and it's real neighborly of you to help your fellow Newgrounders in their time of need.

And I hope that this dialogue does something for you as well, and that you pick yourself up and stay clean. You certainly deserve it.

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 11:24:57

At 2/3/15 10:49 AM, Bit wrote:
And I hope that this dialogue does something for you as well, and that you pick yourself up and stay clean. You certainly deserve it.

I've been relatively clean; but I figure that help is always good.

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 11:42:42

All I can say is, the only reason I'm doing relatively well for myself, is because I've seen way too many bad things happen.

Just stay on your computers NG'ers. Contrary to popular belief drugs are not cool and not many people are aware of the overwhelming negatives of drug use.

winner of the first annual NG Hunger games

life is just a trek, a quest to obtain knowledge, power, perhaps domination. maybe someone will win the race someday

BBS Signature

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 11:46:23

BBS Signature

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 11:58:09

At 2/3/15 11:28 AM, Hoodie wrote: I learned this when I was 16.

I'm glad you learned this without struggling through an addiction, man.

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 12:29:30

uhh who cares bruh? It's the American Dream. You just gotta wake up.

For reals tho, sounds like one of those lost causes stories.

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 13:15:27

At 2/3/15 11:58 AM, HKS wrote:

Why don't you find another habit? Replace your addiction? There are so many nice restaurants in your area, it's mindboggling. I'd start there. You could also try hookers. Plenty of those in Cville.

There should also be several recovery programs in your area particularly since you are close to a larger more well off area.

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 13:21:21

At 2/3/15 01:15 PM, Richard wrote:

Yeah a person without an addiction can totally get what its like to have one

The High Bunny Council Awaits

BBS Signature

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 13:23:04

At 2/3/15 01:21 PM, Maltos wrote:
Yeah a person without an addiction can totally get what its like to have one

Well sure, the dude probably has like a TV addiction or some shit.

probably pulls on it alot tho

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 13:23:47

At 2/3/15 01:23 PM, Ketchemonia wrote:
Well sure, the dude probably has like a TV addiction or some shit.

probably pulls on it alot tho

lol

BBS Signature

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 13:45:15

Why don't you find another habit? Replace your addiction? There are so many nice restaurants in your area, it's mindboggling. I'd start there. You could also try hookers. Plenty of those in Cville.

There should also be several recovery programs in your area particularly since you are close to a larger more well off area.

Yo, my addictions are pretty much done except for smokes and coffee. It's nice to talk to people to find the underlying causes of addiction, though and to offer help and support to those who want it.

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 13:47:50

At 2/3/15 01:45 PM, HKS wrote:

Yo, my addictions are pretty much done except for smokes and coffee. It's nice to talk to people to find the underlying causes of addiction, though and to offer help and support to those who want it.

That is way too much group-loathing dude. I think I got my own addictions but I would never loath about them to anyone.

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 14:07:14

At 2/3/15 10:35 AM, HKS wrote: On the flipside, I've relapsed so many times in my life,

Well in all for really-O's

You've got to get help perhaps an intervention

BBS Signature

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 15:22:08

I'm glad you've made improvements and learned from your experiences.

Some of these things are difficult to teach, but I appreciate you sharing it in a community that's probably pretty young on average. I think it's actually quite reasonable to note that there are highs too, because there really are a bunch of reasons we might want to drink or do drugs. I know I've done so before because I've wanted to comfort myself, sometimes I've done it to emulate Beat poets and the like, and other times I've just wanted to shed all responsibility in a few moments of madness. It's central to bear in mind that it's generally a poison that gets into you and melts you down, but that said I'd be lying if I were to say there were no positives. Sometimes I've just wanted to sleep, to learn something, or stop some sort of pain (which might have been caused by drugs and alcohol to begin with, in the case of, say, delusions).

I now only drink semi-regularly, but that's perhaps not much of a consolation because it's probably my biggest vice. However, my experiences have made me more enthusiastic about helping myself and sharing my problems. Ideally you wouldn't need the substance abuse to get there, but then I don't think most people do need it. I think with alcohol especially, most users are fairly responsible. It's okay to have fun when you're moderating yourself. Again, it's hard to teach this sort of thing, but if you ever feel as though you're drinking to fill a hole, so to speak, then consider the much healthier alternatives. Even if you don't think it, you're more than capable of working those into your lifestyle instead. Thankfully I've seen lots of people get at least somewhat better, most of them initially deep into their vices and typically older than me. Like I said, I still drink, but it's a much, much smaller volume, and I can feel the effects of not mixing it with other things. I've relapsed (for lack of a better word) a number of times myself, and I probably will again, but then the task is to resume building myself up. Best bet is to not reach that stage to begin with.

BBS Signature

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 15:25:51

At 2/3/15 03:22 PM, NuScarab wrote:

You have a really well thought out post but while I was reading it my epic sad music started picking up the pace and I couldn't help but noticed how epic, and sad your post sounded by the second sentence. So I couldn't take it seriously after that point.

srry?

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 15:31:13

At 2/3/15 03:25 PM, Ketchemonia wrote: You have a really well thought out post but while I was reading it my epic sad music started picking up the pace and I couldn't help but noticed how epic, and sad your post sounded by the second sentence. So I couldn't take it seriously after that point.

srry?

I'll take epic and sad as long as my posts are also played to music that's really funny too.

BBS Signature

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 15:36:10

At 2/3/15 12:26 PM, Hoodie wrote:
I wouldn't say that.

So you overcame an intense addiction by the age of sixteen? What drug, and how long were you using?

Click here and we'll become good friends.

BBS Signature

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 17:58:49

I just had to summon you, didn't I?

At 2/3/15 03:38 PM, 24901miles wrote: @SKS

shit, it's becoming a trend.

still it's good to see your trying to do well for yourselfe. Maybe when (IF) the chat comes back, you won't try to sell meth to me again ;3

Oldskies lmao

BBS Signature

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 21:14:23

At 2/3/15 03:36 PM, Seasons wrote:
At 2/3/15 12:26 PM, Hoodie wrote:
I wouldn't say that.
So you overcame an intense addiction by the age of sixteen? What drug, and how long were you using?

There are plenty of drug addicted children, globally. I've heard of a father and his daughter shoot up. She was 14, where he was in his 50s

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 22:12:19

At 2/3/15 09:14 PM, HKS wrote: There are plenty of drug addicted children, globally. I've heard of a father and his daughter shoot up. She was 14, where he was in his 50s

You're right. I rushed to judgement. My b

Click here and we'll become good friends.

BBS Signature

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-03 23:01:26

I have a daily habit of opiates. Runs my life. I have nothing going for me other than hustling for my next fix.

BBS Signature

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-04 07:24:56

At 2/3/15 11:01 PM, SKS wrote: I have a daily habit of opiates. Runs my life. I have nothing going for me other than hustling for my next fix.

Then why not slowly wean off the junk? It's easier than cold turkeying the habit. Instead of a big withdrawals from suddenly quitting your 10 bag a day habit, you can go through a much mild one from 2 to 1 bags.

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-04 10:19:56

At 2/3/15 09:38 PM, Voltage wrote:
I've come close to ODing after a relationship went sour on alcohol; I also took a lot more DXM than I could really handle one night - in my car. The drive back was rigid, scary, and felt like some really fucked up laggy connection as I drove back home. Interstitial moments where I vaguely remember this fucked up way I drove home. Still alive.

DXM is fucking nasty. I've run into those pink pills before and they are fucking nightmare fuel.

... You son of a bitch!

At 2/3/15 03:22 PM, NuScarab wrote: I'm glad you've made improvements and learned from your experiences.

Some of these things are difficult to teach, but I appreciate you sharing it in a community that's probably pretty young on average. I think it's actually quite reasonable to note that there are highs too, because there really are a bunch of reasons we might want to drink or do drugs. I know I've done so before because I've wanted to comfort myself, sometimes I've done it to emulate Beat poets and the like, and other times I've just wanted to shed all responsibility in a few moments of madness. It's central to bear in mind that it's generally a poison that gets into you and melts you down, but that said I'd be lying if I were to say there were no positives. Sometimes I've just wanted to sleep, to learn something, or stop some sort of pain (which might have been caused by drugs and alcohol to begin with, in the case of, say, delusions).

Absolutely, however; for creativity and learning, those were two big excuses I've used for drugs. Mainly for writing and drawing things. I get that people have over-indulged on booze and sometimes, with amphetamines just to be able to accomplish things; I have. I used to take speed by the mouthful just to focus; but eventually you will crash and burn. I used to feel a lot of pain as well, mainly because when I wasn't on some oxy or vicodin binge, I was hurt; probably most likely due to some withdrawals.

I now only drink semi-regularly, but that's perhaps not much of a consolation because it's probably my biggest vice. However, my experiences have made me more enthusiastic about helping myself and sharing my problems. Ideally you wouldn't need the substance abuse to get there, but then I don't think most people do need it. I think with alcohol especially, most users are fairly responsible. It's okay to have fun when you're moderating yourself. Again, it's hard to teach this sort of thing, but if you ever feel as though you're drinking to fill a hole, so to speak, then consider the much healthier alternatives. Even if you don't think it, you're more than capable of working those into your lifestyle instead. Thankfully I've seen lots of people get at least somewhat better, most of them initially deep into their vices and typically older than me. Like I said, I still drink, but it's a much, much smaller volume, and I can feel the effects of not mixing it with other things. I've relapsed (for lack of a better word) a number of times myself, and I probably will again, but then the task is to resume building myself up. Best bet is to not reach that stage to begin with.

I drink semi-regularly as well now, when I used to drink constantly. Remember back on stickam when you got incredibly drunk and sat on your webcam and broke it? I remember I was drinking hardcore back then as well. It's weird to feel myself drinking in a smaller volume because I know I can polish off more than a beer or two, or a shot just seems like an invitation where I can drink shot per shot. It's all about restraint. I know I'll relapse back into functional alcoholism in the future, which in inevitable. If you relapse again or feel like you're coming close to it; why not just talk to people who's teetering on the same path but who are willing to restrain them and you. Best of lucks to you, NuScarab.

Also, for everyone else; this is not about quelling and curing the habits, it's about trying to fix the habit with the power of communications and love. Because I 'love' all of you as well ;o.

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-04 15:15:20

At 2/4/15 01:41 PM, HKS wrote: eventually you will crash and burn.

An unfortunate truth.

I drink semi-regularly as well now, when I used to drink constantly. Remember back on stickam when you got incredibly drunk and sat on your webcam and broke it?

Just about. Things were bad then, but then they also got worse afterwards. On a lighter side of things, I only broke the base of the webcam and ended up fixing it with blu-tack.

I remember I was drinking hardcore back then as well. It's weird to feel myself drinking in a smaller volume because I know I can polish off more than a beer or two, or a shot just seems like an invitation where I can drink shot per shot. It's all about restraint.

This is probably why some people prefer to work towards quitting outright, if their bodies can take it. I pretty much agree though that it's all about restraint for most of us.

If you relapse again or feel like you're coming close to it; why not just talk to people who's teetering on the same path but who are willing to restrain them and you.

Yes, it's been very helpful (hopefully mutually so) to be able to talk and share with other people who have struggled with either substance abuse or other problems (mental health in particular). Thankfully I have a good number of resources available to me, whether it's just someone to talk to at a bad time or someone I can get in touch with if I want some sort of help with my health. Honestly, I probably owe much of my life to the NHS.

Best of lucks to you, NuScarab.

Thanks, you too.

BBS Signature

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-04 17:33:37

At 2/4/15 03:39 PM, Voltage wrote:
At 2/3/15 11:33 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
At 2/3/15 11:01 PM, SKS wrote: I have a daily habit of opiates. Runs my life. I have nothing going for me other than hustling for my next fix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GcaX8FvkJU
you can hear people in that video saying they'd "go back to the clinic" but they have probably and it doesn't do anything

Nothing can help most of those people but themselves

Clinics in essence are useful for temporary solutions. A lot of hardcore addicts use them temporary shelter for running dry. It's only applying yourself that matters.

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-04 19:55:46

At 2/4/15 05:33 PM, HKS wrote:
Clinics in essence are useful for temporary solutions. A lot of hardcore addicts use them temporary shelter for running dry. It's only applying yourself that matters.

It's been my experience that a lot of the pills end they dole out end up being sold to other addicts.

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-04 20:44:34

At 2/4/15 10:19 AM, HKS wrote:
At 2/3/15 09:38 PM, Voltage wrote:
I've come close to ODing after a relationship went sour on alcohol; I also took a lot more DXM than I could really handle one night - in my car. The drive back was rigid, scary, and felt like some really fucked up laggy connection as I drove back home. Interstitial moments where I vaguely remember this fucked up way I drove home. Still alive.
DXM is fucking nasty. I've run into those pink pills before and they are fucking nightmare fuel.

I've never seen DXM in pink pill form ever, even pills that have other stuff than just DXM in it. When I think of pink pills, I think of benadryl. I've never been able to be scared on DXM. It just doesn't seem like it's even possible to experience fear (or really any human emotion) when you're in an intense dissociated state. DPH is always terrifying, though. Pic related, DPH is awesome if you wanna see spiders pour out of fucking everywhere.

PSN ID/Gamertag: KittensWithBeer

BBS Signature

Response to A small relapse for no good reason 2015-02-04 20:50:08

At 2/4/15 07:55 PM, Richard wrote:
At 2/4/15 05:33 PM, HKS wrote:
It's been my experience that a lot of the pills end they dole out end up being sold to other addicts.

It's true. Most common pill given to addicts is suboxone. Aside from buprenorphine, it has naltrexone in it which means that you'll be sent into precipitated withdrawals if you took any opiates in the past day. Also means that taking any opiates later that day won't get you high, so naturally junkies use them as a last resort if they can't score that day and prefer to sell them for money to buy other opiates.

PSN ID/Gamertag: KittensWithBeer

BBS Signature