00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ArkihamVA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Who Loves Mega Man

5,404 Views | 58 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-04 00:01:16

Once again, I screwed up on this thread by forgetting something (in this case mentioning you in that last post), but fixed said mistake with some extra input.

At 2/3/15 07:07 PM, Jojo wrote: Also, if Boobeam is the boss I think you mean, it's possible to do it in one life. It's also possible to dodge its attacks after you've destroyed a few of its guns if you have perfect timing. But yes, it is still bullshit because there's no way anyone could know how to do it their first time, and you usually end up dying the first time and getting it the second time after some of those blocks are destroyed. And if you didn't have energy for the right weapon, you're screwed.

When I finally beat Boobeam (which you do seem to be on the right page about) I had done so without E-tanks; honestly, I try to use E-tanks as sparingly as possible because I feel pretty cheap otherwise. But yeah, what makes Boobeam a bullshit boss is the precision it requires; if you make even a single mistake with your power ups, you have to let it kill you & start all over again (not to mention grind for more energy).

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-05 12:27:39 (edited 2015-02-05 12:33:26)

At 2/4/15 01:43 PM, Vinnyy wrote: I remember playing Mega Man 8 when I was a kid. It was one of my all-time childhood favorites, along with Crash Bash. My only problem with Mega Man 8 was the voice acting. Almost all the characters had annoying, girly voices.

We must recover all the energy immediately M-me-megaman.

When we find that meteor we'll find Dr. Wahwee!

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-05 13:27:41

Edgy Zero fan reporting in. That black armor is just too cool. (I only say this because I'm playing X4)

brains.

BBS Signature

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-05 16:39:17

At 2/5/15 01:27 PM, Zombified wrote: Edgy Zero fan reporting in. That black armor is just too cool. (I only say this because I'm playing X4)

X4 had Black Zero?? Are you sure? Sure you don't mean X5 or X6?

If it's available in X4, where do you obtain it? Or is it secret code on title screen-only like how it is in X6?

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-07 12:13:10

At 2/5/15 04:39 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 2/5/15 01:27 PM, Zombified wrote: Edgy Zero fan reporting in. That black armor is just too cool. (I only say this because I'm playing X4)
X4 had Black Zero?? Are you sure? Sure you don't mean X5 or X6?

If it's available in X4, where do you obtain it? Or is it secret code on title screen-only like how it is in X6?

Yeah my bad. X5. Just got X4 and X5 for my Vita, got a little confused... thanks for clearing that up :)

brains.

BBS Signature

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-10 10:56:52

I have been a fan of Mega Man since his original NES game back in 1987.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-10 15:22:24

At 2/10/15 10:56 AM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 2/3/15 08:37 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 2/3/15 07:26 PM, Monster-64 wrote: The game is shit. I'm telling you, I've tried playing the first game. However, it's just to damn hard.
Play the second game. The first Mega Man game did have some bad level design in a few places. Quite notably you could legitimately get stuck if you made it to the end of the first Wily stage without having the Magnet Beam item from Elecman's stage. And Iceman's stage could be a bit glitchy.
no. mm2 has the hardest setup ever.. unless you overgrind e tanks of course.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opADNvgeZYY

even if you do that, you'll still run out of bubble lead on wily alien hologram and die.

Not true at all. It's entirely possible (and not even that hard) to get through the entirety of Mega Man 2 on a single life, without using any E tanks. The E tanks give you a bit of "buffer" in case something's just a bit too tough and the extra lives, same. In case that's not enough easiness, the game even lets you select an easier mode of difficulty, something most other Mega Man games do not. (Note in the re-releases they added easier difficulties to all the earlier Mega Man games 1 through 6, but those easier difficulties don't exist in the originals for the NES)

Also there's plenty of bubble lead. You must use the power twice before you use up even a single segment. Without using tricks it's easy never to run out but even if you somehow end up dangerously low in weapon energy (I never do), all you would have to do is alternate between firing with that weapon and firing with your regular weapon and you'll never use up any weapon energy at all. In fact it's true of any weapons that take more than one use to use a segment -- swap out with other weapons and fire with them, then swap back and you never use energy at all.

And there are no places in Mega Man 2 that are dead end through no fault of the player which is not the case in the first Mega Man game. If you don't have enough weapon energy on Item-1, Item-2, or Item-3 that's your own fault vs. you may not have known you even needed that weird looking thing in Elecman's stage in the first game (and are rewarded with dead end in first Wily stage if you don't have it)

It's not the absolute easiest NES Mega Man game (that'd be Mega Man 6), but it's not very hard.

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-10 18:45:52

At 2/10/15 06:04 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: uh, well at least we agree about 6.. though as i said, i never bother with nes.. however, its not really an issue for obsessive item hoarders like me who must have everything at the first possible moment.. i know, people like me suck at classic style castlevania.. death traps galore.. but i digress..

only real issue mm1 posed to me was the sheer number of.. well, death traps.. gutsman and especially ice man's stages in particular, not to mention some wily factory stages..

the bosses arent much problem. i cant say the same for mm2.. air man and wood man have attacks that you cant get past with a three shot burst buster gun fire.. nor even most weapons if you have them.. crash man isnt so much a problem if you're adept at fighting gravity man in mm5.. ai is so similar you'll probably never take a hit.. however if you do, you can only survive about two or three shots iirc..

metal man has similar problems, in that he's easy to kill but not to survive.. i cant remember much about heat man or bubble man to be honest..

quick man is no problem at all.. but to get to him you must survive hell itself. too many deathtrap lasers..

flash man is just pathetic though.. i couldnt make a case on him being "hard" if i wanted to..

Many of Airman's attacks are unavoidable and Woodman's weapon (Airman's weakness) isn't even very good at him since those tornadoes easily counter it unless you're literally right up next to him. Best strategy there is go in with full life energy and regular weapon and plan to drain his life to 0 faster than he drains yours (Similar strategy to Fireman from the first game). Only time you strictly must take damage at Woodman is when he gets too close to an edge of screen and you must get to the other side of him. All of his leaves are dodgable though tricky. With Metalman you want to stay near the middle and jump a lot.

Gutsman's stage isn't bad. You're probably referring to the very first part? Just look before you leap and plan ahead. Though if you're just terrible here you could always wait until you had Magnet Beam and skip that. Iceman's stage is pretty bad since any damage at all will make you fall through those flying shooting things and to your death below so Magnet Beam is extremely useful here.

Quickman's stage isn't really that hard. Just be fast and don't hesitate. If you're just terrible here, then get Flashman's weapon first and get as far as you can before using it, then use it to finish out that lasers part.

Megaman 2 has extremely interesting boss weaknesses though, compared to most Megaman games that are just simply circular.

Bubbleman: Gives life energy back if used on Bubbleman. Best at Heatman.
Airman: Best at Crashman. Decent at Woodman.
Quickman: Best at Metalman.
Heatman: Best at Woodman. Decent at Quickman.
Woodman: Best at Airman but terrible at him due to his air shooters. Just use your regular weapon.
Metalman: Best at Metalman himself. Best at Bubbleman. Best at Flashman. Okay at Woodman.
Flashman: Terrible at everyone. Damages only Quickman and only at the rate of 1 segment damage per every 2 weapon energy segments used.
Crashman: Gives life energy back to Heatman. Best at Quickman. Best if used on a wall and hit with the resultant explosion rather than a direct hit.

Megaman 3 has two circular weakness chains. Almost every other Megaman game just has a single circular weakness chain.

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-10 21:16:27

At 2/10/15 07:18 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: uh, mm3 isnt exactly circular in the first place.. sparkman has multiple strengths for instance, not just one.

There are exactly two damage circles in Megaman 3, compared to the one in most other Megaman games, and the very unusual unique damage structure of Megaman 2.

MM3 First circle: Magnetman, Hardman, Topman, Shadowman, Sparkman, Magnetman
MM3 Second circle: Snakeman, Geminiman, Needleman, Snakeman
And of course everyone is also decent at themselves and each reincarnated MM2 robot master has exactly one weakness from the MM3 weapons.

air man is literally impossible to hit with buster gun. his tornadoes bounce off any shots fired. really, its much simpler to tank his attack and hit him with the revolving version of wood shield (as opposed to the projectile) when you get close enough. he dies in two hits iirc.. however, its easier said than done.

besides.. buster shots are too weak compared to the damage those tornadoes do to you.. this isnt mm4 where we got the mega buster charge shot..

Mmm, not true at all. I almost always beat Airman with just my regular power, going in with full life energy, and come out with maybe about 1/4 energy remaining. It's far easier to hit him with your regular weapon than with Woodman's weapon and although your regular weapon deals so much less damage, the rate of fire more than makes up for that. Some of his tornado things aren't dodgable, which accounts for the damage you'll inevitably take even if played perfectly.

i'm telling you quick man's stage is hard even if you do use the time stopper.. if you dont its flat out impossible..

Your opinion then. I nearly always just rush through it and save time stopper as a "finisher" move for Quickman himself once I get him to half energy from using crash bombs.

in mm1 for magnet beam to do me any good i need infinite ammo hax. in wily wars, they dissappear far too quickly.. in anniversiary collection i dont rightly recall but something made me run out there too..

Yeah much requires that you conserve as much as possible and that you don't die because if you die you have less energy since you used up some on your previous life. I don't find weapon energy on magnet beam to be an issue but I don't die and I play conservatively.

mm1 isnt exactly super mario world.. making these jumps isnt as easy as you portray them to be..

The jumping is entirely different in both games, but the "feel" of the characters is entirely different too. In some ways Megaman's movement mechanic is easier than Mario's. Sure, he can't jump as high as Mario, but he's also less slippery than Mario. Tradeoffs in every game.

the ghosty glitchy thingie you speak of never happened with me in wily wars nor anniversiary collection.. i fall because i get knocked clean off the edge just as i'm about to land.. ninja gaiden style..

For me it's very common to be standing on one of those things right as it decides to shoot right as it is moving down, so the shot literally appears on your character (unless you jump right before he shoots), you take damage and fall through to your death. Even without that, if you take any damage at all you can't stand on those things and go right through, so it's a bit on the ridiculous side although I can do it.

mm7 is all the weirder than 2 or 3 though.. turbo man's weapon has no strengths or weaknesses when you use it, but it practically instakills you when he uses it due to the DoT effect...

Megaman 7 seems to borrow a lot of the Gameboy Megaman series mechanics, if you've noticed. Even as far as only letting you fight 4 masters, then an intermediate stage, then the last 4, just like the Gameboy games but unlike the NES games. That game has a singular damage circle as well, with the exception exactly two bosses have exactly two weaknesses.

MM7 Damage circle: Burstman, Cloudman, Junkman, Freezeman, Slashman, Springman, Shademan, Turboman, Burstman.

Exceptions: Both Turboman's and Freezeman's weapons are good at both Burstman and Slashman.

you cant really say mm2 is all that special in that noncyclical regard.

Yeah it's actually pretty unique as far as damage cycles go since nearly every other game in the series has a single damage cycle, although MM3 has two instead of one.

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-11 11:46:11

At 2/10/15 10:56 AM, mysticvortex13 wrote: no. mm2 has the hardest setup ever.. unless you overgrind e tanks of course.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opADNvgeZYY

even if you do that, you'll still run out of bubble lead on wily alien hologram and die.

Mega man 2 was hard? I beat that game on a NES back in the day and it was an okay challenge, but hot hardest setup ever. lol

BBS Signature

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-12 06:06:37

At 2/11/15 04:34 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: it isnt hard per se.. but it is the hardest megaman classic unless you count 7 and &bass, and maybe the gb stuff. though i found gb2 pathetic to be honest..

Gameboy Megaman 2 is quite possibly the easiest Megaman game ever made. If you can't beat that game, just give up on Megaman games altogether. It really doesn't fit with the others. The other Gameboy Megaman games are all very difficult and much harder than the NES games, although I found, as a rule, Gameboy games tended to be a bit harder than NES games anyway, though not always. Maybe it's just the Gameboy games I played.

Also, original Gameboy for the win! What is up with all the dinky small things that came after that? Too small!

Also, NES Megaman 2 is not at all the hardest of the classic 1 through 6. Are you kidding? Both Megaman and Megaman 4 are harder than Megaman 2. Megaman 3 is about on par with Megaman 2. And then Megaman 5 and Megaman 6 are both easy street.

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-12 13:28:23

At 2/12/15 06:06 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
Also, NES Megaman 2 is not at all the hardest of the classic 1 through 6. Are you kidding? Both Megaman and Megaman 4 are harder than Megaman 2. Megaman 3 is about on par with Megaman 2. And then Megaman 5 and Megaman 6 are both easy street.

I agree with you. The original and 4 are harder than 2 and 3.

BBS Signature

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-12 15:55:32

At 2/12/15 03:34 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: i played all 5 of em. wily's revenge through gb5. only with gb4 and wily's revenge did i have a hard time.

So you didn't find Gameboy Megaman 5 to be hard? I find that quite odd considering that's the hardest of the Gameboy Megaman games.

Also, original Gameboy for the win! What is up with all the dinky small things that came after that? Too small!
size matters not. i did however like the durability.. i accidentally dropped it hundreds of times and the worst that happened was the battery cover blew off, as did the screen protector. i also liked the contrast feature. the first lighting system ever made for gb was right there in the original.. worked so well you could get through pokemon's dark caves without needing to use flash.

Size matters a hell of a whole lot. Gameboy and Gamegear were good sizes for handhelds. Nearly every handheld that came after were just too small. Sure, I could play other stuff but my hands felt too cramped and it was uncomfortable. Also disappointed once the main console controllers started getting dinky small too. First they got larger, which I'm okay with. Then they started getting too small. Now they're starting to get a bit larger again though.

what i didnt like was the fact it needed 4 double a batteries to operate..

Um, you do know there was a wall plug and a charger you could buy right? Right? Realistically that is the only way anyone should have played the Gameboy or the Gamegear (wallplug for when you're in a house. Charger for when you're not)

i dunno about nes.. i havent played it, as i said a million times.. however. mm1 and 4 are both easy as fuck once you get past the stages.. mm4 didnt even have difficult stages until you reach cossack's siberian fortress..

mm3 is easier as well.. its nearly as easy as 4 and 6. only problem i ever had was running out of rush jet ammo in doc robot's stages as i believe i stated earlier. (though that mightve been on youtube's "lets play megaman and bass! bass 1" video, at this point i cant recall..)

NES Megaman 2 isn't this extremely hard game that you keep saying it is. It's possible you have some kind of mental block on the game itself. Like if it's a game you considered super hard in childhood even though it wasn't, but then as you got older you still considered it super hard just because you remembered it that way. It's definitely a lot easier than the first a fourth games, so if those games are easy to you, how the hell is the second game so hard to you?

5 isnt exactly easy though. wave man and star man were pains in the ass. as was mr x's fortress.. kept hitting the instakill spikes because i wanted to keep in my character of breaking everything in the stage. that little shortcut behind that window is just irresistable.

Aand you're confusing 5 and 6. Mr. X is in 6, not 5. Also Jet Megaman plays entirely differently from the original Megaman games to the remakes. (They botched it up on the ports, basically). This does cause a few stages to actually be more difficult on the remakes than they were on the originals. On the other hand, botched spawn points in, for example, Megaman 3, causes a few stages to be easier than they were on the originals.

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-12 16:29:17

At 2/12/15 04:07 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: yeah.. i kind of fucked up there.. darkman's fortress wasnt so easy either though. good to know though about jet..

On the original NES Megaman 6, Jet Megaman first dips down a bit before flying upwards. In the remakes, he instantly starts flying at the height of his jump, with no dip. This causes timing strategy between the original and the remakes to be entirely different. Basically, what works as good timing strategy using Jet Megaman on the original doesn't on the remakes and vica-versa.

They also messed up the music in some areas on the remakes (although the remake of Megaman 6 has nice intro music, fitting to a Megaman game, but completely different from the music in the original, and I don't consider this botched but rather a substitution of an alternate fitting piece). End of Megaman 5 is definitely botched on the remake though.

And the text is botched on most of the remake games too. Why? Why not just leave the text as it was in the originals? Sometimes they corrected stuff, but many of the "corrections" actually make things worse.

And there was one slight improvement in Megaman 3 on the remakes where they decided to put a floating platform with energy capsules before the first Wily stage boss. On the original, that wasn't there, but instead there were a couple energy capsules on a slight ledge above that boss door. Since there are no enemies on that screen and you'd basically use Rush Coil to get up there either way, not a big deal, but is notable.

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-12 17:44:12

At 2/12/15 05:02 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: the entirety of 6 is better off with complete works versions to be honest.. except perhaps knight man and yamato man.. and i never cared to stick through the ending theme of any megaman game..

why they didnt bother to remix the areas in mm3 i dunno though.. they just put power battle tracks in there on the parts they changed, and on the ones they didnt, they left as is needless to say..

I wasn't talking about the remix option. Leave the default music options alone. With the defaults (which are supposed to be the same as the NES but in some cases aren't), Megaman 6 has different intro music in the remakes than on the NES although this track is fine and fits, but it's not what the NES version had. And the ending Megaman 5 music is just completely botched on the remakes. That's the wrong music for that area and it doesn't fit at all, whereas the NES had music that fit. This is not counting the alternate remix tracks at all.

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-12 18:17:53

At 2/12/15 05:50 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 2/12/15 05:44 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 2/12/15 05:02 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
I wasn't talking about the remix option.
okay, in that case, they cut off a segment of tomahawk man's theme iirc.. i really cant remember the other originals..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxav_LjBuAI

First music here is what's heard on the Gamecube and PS2 Anniversary port of Megman 6.
Second music here is what's heard on the actual NES Megaman 6.

So since the first music was for Rockman 6, I'm going to assume they just used the Rockman music on the ports rather than what they'd used on the USA NES Megaman 6.

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-12 18:25:23 (edited 2015-02-12 18:26:25)

Hey guys so I think I'll Start a Topic a day, so today's topic is mega-man music!

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-12 18:29:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdvfFhaDwfc
around 3:04 you see how this area was in the original Megaman 3

Having trouble finding a playthrough of Megaman 3 on the Anniversary edition, but that area looks completely different than on the original right before the boss there, where the two weapon recovery items are.

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-13 04:32:55

At 2/3/15 04:31 PM, Babmen69 wrote:
At 2/3/15 04:27 PM, Kisaragiq wrote: Who Loves Mega Man? Everyone except Capcom.
True,True.

For ever since Capcom made a number of controversial choices is what eventually caused Capcom to go downhill, this I have no doubt.

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-13 15:34:22

At 2/13/15 04:32 AM, Thecrazyman wrote: For ever since Capcom made a number of controversial choices is what eventually caused Capcom to go downhill, this I have no doubt.

Their first bad choice was making Megman more kid-like. He's Mega Man, not Mega Kid, Mega Boy, or Mega anything else. And the box arts from the first two games definitely confirm this.

Somewhere around Megaman 7. (In fact I'm pretty sure it started with Megaman 7 but anyone knows of an earlier game this started??) they decided to make the boneheaded decision of making Megaman into a little kid robot. Also most games that have voices have him voiced by kids.

So really, you can play the games for the gameplay (which I do), but you have to admit the storylines went to complete crap at some point and just try to ignore them. Same with the Megaman X series.

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-02-14 00:48:55

At 2/13/15 07:32 PM, kanef wrote: just got around to mega man 2 (first experience with the series)
holy shiiit fucking good. one of the best games on the NES. capcom were gods. those graphics. that gameplay. that soundtrack.

Mega Man 2 has been awesome for years. Glad you finally found out.

BBS Signature

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-04-01 23:47:19

Just got Mega Man & Bass in the mail today & figured I'd bump this thread. I'm on Burner Man right now & Jesus Christ it's hard; way harder than Mega Man 1 imo.

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-04-04 01:26:33

Classic Mega Man games have stood the test of time.

BBS Signature

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-04-04 21:21:00

At 4/3/15 06:18 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 4/1/15 11:47 PM, FlockMastaBack wrote: Just got Mega Man & Bass in the mail today & figured I'd bump this thread. I'm on Burner Man right now & Jesus Christ it's hard; way harder than Mega Man 1 imo.
megaman 1's only hard part was ice man's stage. it's wimpy compared to megaman 2 or megaman 7. and especially gb4. cant even reach a single robot master in gb4, let alone defeat them..

I'm trying to play all the Mega Man series' in chronological order & I've only played the first two Gameboy ones (the abysmal second installment is probably the easiest Mega Man game of all time); it's really hard to find a mint copy of the latter three ones. I haven't heard anything prior to this thread about any of the Gameboy games being hard except Dr Wily's Revenge & III, but IV & V look really good regardless.

Update on MM&B: Fuck Dynamo Man. Who greenlighted the idea of a Robot Master that can heal?

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-04-06 18:11:58

At 4/6/15 04:38 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: uh, even if you do find a copy of gb 5 it's gonna be hundreds of dollars because it's so damn rare. i'm a pirate so it doesnt bother me, but it seems people are boy scouts these days..

There's still some copies going for under $100, and I'm a collector, so price isn't too much of an issue.

anyhow, i was speaking of ps2/gamecube anniversary collection when i spoke of 2. so a remake of the nes game. not gb. gb2 is indeed easy as pie.

I wasn't refuting your point; I was just speaking in general.

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-04-11 14:20:07

Mega Man is one of a few video game characters that has been in cartoons as well.

BBS Signature

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-04-15 21:21:41

Mega Man is the best known robot in video games.

BBS Signature

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-04-16 00:31:49

I don't actually like Megaman. I've just had Magic Man as my profile picture for all of my social media accounts for like three years now and I can't be bothered to change them all to something else.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Who Loves Mega Man 2015-04-16 04:17:02

At 4/16/15 12:31 AM, Chdonga wrote: I don't actually like Megaman.

And what a shocking revelation that is.