00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Top 10 Favorite Songs

1,441 Views | 18 Replies

Top 10 Favorite Songs 2015-02-01 01:34:04

A lot of us here on Newgrounds love music. A lot of people here on Newgrounds are hipsters (whether they want to admit it or not). So I'm interested in a lot of people's taste in music. Now when I say favorite songs what I mean is this...

Lyrics Are Needed - NO INSTRUMENTALS
I have nothing against instrumental pieces. If I included them in my list they would take up a majority of it. A lot of instrumental pieces can be enjoyed by more than songs with lyrics. Also an instrumental piece can keep you coming back, in contrast a song with lyrics really has to be good to keep you coming back without getting tired of the song.

Also, one artist/band per song. It keeps your list varied.

10. Summer Belongs to You
By: Phineas & Ferb

Before you start to judge, just hear me out on this one. I like the show Phineas & Ferb. I also love the songs that are in the episodes. They're not really memorable though. I saw the special Summer Belongs to You and it to had some good songs, but again nothing that really sticks, except the ending song which shares its name with the special. This song is so upbeat, it knows when to slow down to give the listener a chance to breath and is just triumphant from beginning to end.

9. Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters
By: Elton John

This song reminds me of the outside world and pretty much what Newgrounds means to me. The lyrics that say "I thank the lord for people like you" means a lot to me. I know that this is not this songs meaning, but it does hit me in that way. It is my favorite out of all of Elton John's songs. That's pretty much it.

8. Read All About It (Pt. III)
By: Emeli Sande

I first heard this song play during the shadow group Attraction from Britain's Got Talent. The song is just beautiful and I love the lyrics. To stand up and let your voice be heard, stand up for your beliefs, what you fight for, and those you love. The song remained me with more than where I heard it from. I absolutely love it and I feel it speaks louder than any other song about standing up does. "Take Me To Church" I love what it is saying, but feel it is a bit skewed. This song hits all the notes more (no pun intended).

7. The Music of the Night
By: Michael Crawford

Had to have a song from a musical and why not my favorite musical of all time "The Phantom of the Opera". The lyrics pretty much sum up what many composers intend to set out when writing a song. To take you to another world, another realm, into their minds so you can see what they want you to see through the power of music. Sounds corny? Perhaps. Michael Crawford's haunting voice makes this song from beginning to end. No shame to Gerard Butler though, that version is really great too and he worked his damnest to get a good performance and he did. Michael Crawford has been doing this more years than Gerard though.

6. Freedom
By: Radical Something

My favorite band of all time is Radical Something. Pretty much every single of one their songs is perfect. A combination of acoustic, rap, reggae, rock, and pop. They are so many genres combined into one. This is my favorite song by them, it is slow, chill, just something I can sit back to and just go nowhere and do nothing. My freedom. My second song by them is a bit more chaotic, it's called "Say Yes".

5. Take The Long Way Home
By: Supertramp

Sadly there is not a proper YouTube video for this one, so I have to direct you to Grooveshark with the link. My favorite song by Supertramp. You have so many road trip and coming home songs, both eager for both journeys. This one however is simply put about having a bad day or even week and simply taking the longer drive home. No long journey, no eagerness, just dread on getting home and simply enjoying the time it takes to get there. Despite this, the song is quite upbeat until it ends on a somber note when you arrive home. I relate to this song more than I probably should.

4. American Pie
By: Don McLean

Overplayed? Overdone? Yes and yes. However a lot of people seem to be missing a lot of crucial moments of this song. The interpretation has been debated for years, the only thing Don McLean has stated that it is about Buddy Holly's death. Which yes that is part of it, but it is about rock n' roll as a whole and how it slowly died to 70's and 80's rock overtime. It is just a beautiful song from beginning to end and one song that I know every word by heart.

3. It's The End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
By: R.E.M.

Holy Shit! Talk about a song on fucking cocaine. The lyrics and music are just so fucking fast and it takes breaks to get another line going and at the end we are out of cocaine. Everything about this song I love. EVERYTHING! This is just one song I can't explain why I love it so much, I just do. LEONARD BERNSTEIN!

2. Piano Man
By: Billy Joel

Billy Joel is my favorite artist of all-time. Period. Also one of the best songwriters. I love every song he has ever done. I have two greatest hits albums because one was missing some songs that the other didn't have. This has and will always be my favorite Billy Joel song. This song is a beautiful story from beginning to end. Also for some strange reason that I can't explain, whenever I hear this song now I get in the mood to play Kingdom Hearts. Why? I don't know. All I know is that this song it just one of those perfect songs. I also enjoy "We Didn't Start the Fire", "And So It Goes", and "I Go To Extremes" a lot as well.

1. Seven Bridges Road
By: The Eagles

Always done live, NEVER done in studio. Yes there is a recording of it, but this song is always done live. The Eagles learned about this song and perform it live. It is a beautiful song that reminds me of my loved ones, everything I have come to love about the South where I have grown up and live, and the starry night that will be there no matter where I'm at. I can have this song looping on repeat for days and enjoy it time and time again. Truth be told while doing research for The Interviewer I have often had this song on for hours. It is my favorite song of all time.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
"Let It Be" By: The Beatles
"The Sound of Silence" By: Simon & Garfunkel
"Lightning Crashes" By: Live
"The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" By: Gordon Lightfoot
"The Mighty Quinn" By: Manfred Mann's Earth Band
"Bitter Sweet Symphony" By: The Verve
"Someone Always Hates Someone" By: Mike + The Mechanics
"Castle" By: Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
"One Week" By: Barenaked Ladies
"Stars" By: Terrence Mann

WHAT ARE YOUR TOP 10 FAVORITE SONGS

Response to Top 10 Favorite Songs 2015-02-01 01:39:04

This thread is too complicated for me, I'm sorry, I think I'll go now

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Favorite Songs 2015-02-01 01:50:02

Ugh. You made too many fucking rules.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man
Pink Floyd - Shine on You Crazy Diamond
The Beatles - I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Joe Walsh - Life's Been Good
Dio - Holy Diver
Dire Straits - Money for Nothing
The Who - Eminence Front
Eagles - Hotel California
Aerosmith - Dream On
A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran (So Far Away)

Also, that list isn't in any kind of order.

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Favorite Songs 2015-02-01 04:15:48 (edited 2015-02-01 04:16:30)

Favourites (artist - song)
10. Arctic Monkeys - Knee Socks
9. Sister Nancy - Bam Bam
8. Gorillaz - All Alone
7. Gorillaz - November Has Come
6. Daft Punk - Voyager
5. Nirvana - Dumb
4. Arctic Monkeys - She's Thunderstorms
3. The Beatles - I Want You (She's So Heavy)
2. Nirvana - Lithium
1. Pink Floyd - Eclipse

Honourable Mentions (artist - song)
3. The Neighbourhood - Female Robbery
2. Will Smith - Gettin' Jiggy Wit It
1. Two Door Cinema Club - I Can Talk

did you fall from the sky love

kik me baby

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Favorite Songs 2015-02-01 04:25:17 (edited 2015-02-01 04:26:26)

Oingo Boingo - Nothing Bad Ever Happens to Me
The Contortionist - Feedback Loop
Eyedea & Abilities - Burn Fetish
UneXpecT - Quantum Symphony
Slipknot - Vermillion (shut up)
Meshuggah - I
Nine Inch Nails - The Collector
Origa - Rise
Sylosis - Apparitions
Tool - Schism

Lifeforce - Further (bumped down to an honorable mention when I remembered I had to include a Tool song)

This list was chosen VERY sloppily out of laziness.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Top 10 Favorite Songs 2015-02-01 04:42:46

At 2/1/15 01:39 AM, Gremlin wrote: This thread is too complicated for me, I'm sorry, I think I'll go now

Just give it a shot. You'll never know until you try.

At 2/1/15 03:04 AM, Sekhem wrote: lmao, i'm dying @ you putting phineas and ferb on your list

at least you kept it real

Yeah, I also realized that Newgrounds doesn't accept tinyurl links. So no links were active at all.

Response to Top 10 Favorite Songs 2015-02-01 15:56:52

A quick bump for the daylight people.

Response to Top 10 Favorite Songs 2015-02-01 16:41:55 (edited 2015-02-01 16:42:57)

No particular order here

The Mars Volta - Tetragrammaton
It's hard to pick out a top Mars Volta song, but I think this one does a good job in summarizing their music, or whatever.

Grateful Dead - Brokedown Palace

Played at the right moment, this song can bring me to tears. I'm a huge pussy.

Blackbird Raum - Honey in the Hair

I don't care. My eyes roll back in my head.

Neutral Milk Hotel - Holland, 1945

Top song from IAAOTS. One of those bands that I love yet understand why somebody else would hate.

Madvillian - Accordian

DOOM.

Wu-Tang Clan - Triumph

Couldn't bring myself to pick which Wu-tang song to post, so I picked one at random from a playlist. I'm satisfied with the results, though.

Bob Marley - Concrete Jungle

I really just love this particular performance of the song. It's pretty damn good quality.

At The Drive-In - Arcarsenal

Before Cedric and Omar went all mars volta-y

Mac DeMarco - Viceroy

Love me some Mac DeMarco, and this song just stands out as one of his best.

Inside Out - Burning Fight

Zach de la Rocha's band before Rage Against The Machine. Good hardcore. There's a video out there of them performing it live, and Zach destroys some heckler in the beginning.

Click here and we'll become good friends.

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Favorite Songs 2015-02-01 19:25:45

10. Aesop Rock - Alchemy
9. Iron Maiden - Rime of the Ancient Mariner
8. Outkast - Spottieottiedopaliscious
7. Robert Johnson - Sweet Home Chicago
6. Tool - Swamp Song
5. Chet Baker - Time After Time
4. Waylon Jennings - I Ain't Living Long Like This
3. Notorious BIG w/ Bone Thugs and Harmony - Notorious Thugs
2. Danzig - Sistinas
1. Bob Dylan - Masters of War

Response to Top 10 Favorite Songs 2015-02-01 19:34:46 (edited 2015-02-01 19:35:22)

Huh, I can't really put together all of my favorite songs. I like gangsta rap the most, reggae-funk (think Sublime and Red Hot), grunge rock, some classic too.

My favorite artists of all time include Gucci Mane, Grateful Dead, Lil Wayne, Sublime, Tool, Pearl Jam, Led Zep, but honestly the list goes on. I listen to lots of music.

winner of the first annual NG Hunger games

life is just a trek, a quest to obtain knowledge, power, perhaps domination. maybe someone will win the race someday

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Favorite Songs 2015-02-16 02:45:46

eminem - eight mile
pink floyd - wish you were here
bob dylan - like a rolling stone
johnny cash - ring of fire
the beatles - love me do
simon and garfunkel - bridge over troubled water
crimson king - the court of a christian king
nick drake - things behind the sun
the who - teenage wasteland
gorillaz - feel good inc

Response to Top 10 Favorite Songs 2015-02-17 01:38:13 (edited 2015-02-17 01:49:13)

(As of the date this was posted.)

10. Austrian Death Machine - It's Simple, If It Jiggles, It's FAT!

This has been a great workout jam for me for the past half year. I'm a huge Arnold fan, and I've loved what these guys do with AHNOLD quotes. Can't help but headbang to this brief, ridiculous metal jam.

9. Dethklok - Laser Cannon Deth Sentence

This is a war-hymn for the modern age. It gets the blood pumping, and its a metal song that begs for murder and blood. In the wake of a zombie apocalypse, I would gladly wade into the horde to this at full volume. Mighty motivating for workouts, when I first heard of Dethklok, I took it as little more than a joke...and then I heard this and I was entranced.

8. Ozzy Osbourne - You Can't Kill Rock and Roll

A heartfelt jam. This one resonates with me on a personal level...it became my mantra in high school when I was kinda spiritually grey and unreceptive to a lot of bullshit going on around me. In respect to a different Ozzy song, I don't wanna change the world and I don't want the world to change me. Rock and roll IS my religion and my love, and I feel that in live shows. With the positive energy from like-minded people around me, I see a profound and calming light in that. I'll never stop being rock and roll.

(Really difficult only picking one Ozzy song)

7. Paramore - Miracle

A poppy song about not giving up on somebody you love. I perceive it as helping someone through strength and determination, being there to support that special somebody by being relatable and just opening up tp them. Discard faith for actually being perceptive and active to fix your problems... plus, its a crazy fun song, and I long for someone in my life like her. <3

6. In Flames - Fear Is The Weakness

A motivating war march aimed to conquer fear and overcome loss. The lyrics don't make a heap of sense, but these guys are Swedish, so I cut them slack in that department and thrash away at the music.

5. Dream Theater - Goodnight Kiss

Really really emotional, slow and passionate song from a parent to their child. I think it refers to loss...its actually very sad, but it gives me goosebumps. And, as to be expected with a Dream Theater, brilliant musicianship throughout and into the solo. I've always loved these guys.

4. Racer X - Mad At The World

This has been my themesong for the past couple of weeks...bullshit with my family and a couple of problems I'm dealing with have got me on edge. I'm an implosive anger personality, so I keep it bottled up until I get to the gym...but I just gotta remember, I don't wanna feel this way. It ain't good for my heart to be mad at the world.

I absofuckin' lutely LOVE Paul Gilbert's incredible guitar ability. Had to find a way to sneak him into this list!

3. Black Sabbath - Lonely Is The Word

A bluesy song from metal gods, Black Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio at the helm. Its sexy and pulsing as it rises and rises, and I just think its REALLY cool. I USED TO COUNT IN MILLIONS THEN...BUT NOW I ONLY COUNT IN ONE!!! ...I kinda dream about doing this at Karaoke....

2. Dio - Straight Through the Heart

Ha! Found a loophole around the "1 artist" rule... I love the essence of this kind of music, and nobody better embodies it than this fucking legend. AND HERE IT COMES AGAIN! STRAIGHT! THROUGH THE HEART!!!

1. Devin Townsend - Fallout (Sung by Anneke Van Giersbergen)

This has been my anthem since I first heard it. It was tough having to single out a Devin Townsend song for me...and this is adrenaline demanding, fucking dogfighting music.

There's an alternate version. The same song sung primarily by Devvy himself.

Top 10 Favorite Songs

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Favorite Songs 2015-02-17 16:49:54

Didn't mean to kill the thread. Bumpin' to get more people in.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Favorite Songs 2015-02-17 17:21:11 (edited 2015-02-17 17:35:45)

At this moment it'd be something like:

On Some Faraway Beach - Brian Eno
Girl Afraid - The Smiths
Suedehead - Morrissey
Every Day is like Sunday - Morrissey
Wrapped in Grey - XTC
Positively 4th Street - Bob Dylan
Nothin' In The World Can Stop Me From Worryin' 'Bout That Girl - The Kinks
Right Where it Belongs - Nine Inch Nails
Everybody is Gay - Latin Rose
After the Gold Rush - Neil Young

Response to Top 10 Favorite Songs 2015-02-17 21:33:20

Tom Hooker – Looking For Love
Vivien Vee – Higher
Gorillaz -Stylo
The Jackson 5 – I'll Be There
Solange – Losing You
Todd Terje – Inspector Norse
Patrick Cowley – Sea Hunt
Village People – Macho Man
Village People – Go West
Silver Convention – Fly Robin Fly

Response to Top 10 Favorite Songs 2015-02-18 15:17:44

At 2/17/15 09:33 PM, argile wrote: Tom Hooker – Looking For Love
Vivien Vee – Higher
Gorillaz -Stylo
The Jackson 5 – I'll Be There
Solange – Losing You
Todd Terje – Inspector Norse
Patrick Cowley – Sea Hunt
Village People – Macho Man
Village People – Go West
Silver Convention – Fly Robin Fly

Now this wouldn't be my final one but I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to guess my sexuality from it.

Response to Top 10 Favorite Songs 2015-02-18 16:44:57

10. Strong Hand by Chvrches
Chvrches are not something I'd normally listen to, but there's something about a Scottish girl singing weird 80s-style pop music that is about 80% her making threats to fuck people's shit up that just works for me. Whole album is great, but Strong Hand is probably the highlight.

9. The End by The Doors
Because it makes me want to punch mirrors and have a heart attack.

8. Kill the Poor by Dead Kennedys
Always had a thing for bitingly sarcastic anger in songs, and this stands out above stuff like Stiff Little Fingers' White Noise or Fly the Flag. Plus, as a banker, I can also get behind the lyrics unironically.

7. Made of Stone by The Stone Roses
First heard it played in the trailer for the film of the same name while sat in the cinema, and spent most of the time watching the film I'd come for thinking "I wish I was watching that trailer again". Sold me on the band, and is still my favourite thing they ever did.

6. Straight to Hell by The Clash
Or "the song The Pogues come on stage to". I'm a big Clash fan, but this definitely wouldn't be as high up if it didn't evoke the feeling of being at the start of a Pogues gig each time I listen to it.

5. Modern Love by David Bowie
Really struggle to pick a favourite Bowie song when his catalogue is so diverse, but I think for pure upbeat fun Modern Love has to beat out the rest. Plus it's in that bit in Frances Ha and I like Frances Ha.

4. "Libera me" from Hell by Tarantula and Yuri Kasahara
It's the absolute perfect soundtrack piece in that it is Gurren Lagann in musical form. Stupid, ridiculous, loud, defiant, celebratory, victorious. It's magical.

3. Santa Clara by The National
The National are another one where I struggle to pick out a favourite, but if we boil it down to consistency Santa Clara is the one I keep coming back to. Might go through brief love affairs with Graceless, Theory of the Crows or Gospel, but Santa Clara is the one constant.

2. Johnny Was by Stiff Little Fingers
Picking a favourite SLF song is impossible, so here's one chosen basically at random. Could just have easily as been Gotta Getaway, because of what a treat it was to hear live years after they'd officially "retired" it. Could have been Fly the Flag, for being a song which is transformed when performed live from a middling track on the album to the best song of the night at most shows it's played it. Could have been Hope Street or Bits of Kids for being a million miles away from SLF's early work but still being superb. Johnny Was will have to do because that drum solo is always the start of an amazing encore.

1. The Sickbed of Cuchulainn by The Pogues
Because it is the best song.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Top 10 Favorite Songs 2015-02-18 17:32:30

10. The wall pt2
pink floyd
This song has quite possibly the best music video ever.

9.cant buy me love
the Beatles
When i think of the beatles this song always comes to my mind, its one of their finest.

8.about a girl
nirvana
From their very first. This is my favorite nirvana song because its not just kurt screaming like a maniac.

7. Island in the sun
weezer
This is just a happy song, nuff said

6. London calling
The clash
One of the earliest punk bands, one of the greatest rock songs.

5. Slow cheetah
Red hot chili peppers
Slow cheetah is off of the album stadium arcadium, an album that almost every song on it is better than anything on the radios today.

4. Not the same
Body jar
Nothing can explain it's graetness

3. Blitzkrieg bop
The ramones
Hey! Ho! Lets go!

2. Fell in love with a girl
The white stripes
Fast paced hard rock

1. 2000 light years away
Greenday
One of their earliest hits and one of their best songs