00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TarikNakich just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I hate games Pay-To-Win.

1,221 Views | 26 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-27 15:03:52

I hate MMORPGs pay-to -win, someone knows someone who is not pay-to -win ?

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-27 15:50:42

Most free games tend to be 'Pay to win' because they gotta make money somehow, right?

BBS Signature

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-27 16:15:40

The only "Freemium" games I play are Dragons of Atlantis, which is basically play to win, but I win for free by being really good at it and Brave Frontier which is great and I've never been compelled to spend a dime. Honestly, I don't see how spending money would make that game easier.

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-27 18:43:08

At 1/27/15 03:50 PM, Teddiikun wrote: Most free games tend to be 'Pay to win' because they gotta make money somehow, right?

And with advertisements ?

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-27 20:26:07

Pay to win is the worst model for a game. They should be ignored and shunned.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-27 20:32:26

At 1/27/15 08:26 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Pay to win is the worst model for a game. They should be ignored and shunned.

True.

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-27 21:30:04

At 1/27/15 06:43 PM, Syncronyzy wrote:
At 1/27/15 03:50 PM, Teddiikun wrote: Most free games tend to be 'Pay to win' because they gotta make money somehow, right?

Advertisements probably can't bring in the amount of revenue needed to keep MMO servers running.

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-27 21:41:08

Pay to win games get almost the entire of their revenue from "hardcore" payers.

"...for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes"

No amount of ads can produce as much as what these payers put in. I've heard of players putting $60,000 into p2w mobile games. The top players on Clash of Clans buy thousands of dollars in in-game currency every month. Are you willing to donate that amount of money if the game wasn't p2w? Guess not.

Check out the Flash RPG I made in 2024. It takes about 25 minutes to complete.

BBS Signature

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-27 21:48:07

Pay to win can become addicting. Offering them on cell phones can influence younger players.

BBS Signature

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-27 21:55:30

At 1/27/15 09:30 PM, Valjylmyr wrote:
At 1/27/15 06:43 PM, Syncronyzy wrote:
Advertisements probably can't bring in the amount of revenue needed to keep MMO servers running.

This in MMOs, but and in other types of games? In World Of Craft you just have to pay for the game once.

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-27 23:41:32

At 1/27/15 09:55 PM, Syncronyzy wrote:
At 1/27/15 09:30 PM, Valjylmyr wrote: Advertisements probably can't bring in the amount of revenue needed to keep MMO servers running.
This in MMOs, but and in other types of games? In World Of Craft you just have to pay for the game once.

Until level 20, yeah, but after that you still have to pay $15 a month to play. Plus before you start paying they restrict what you can do. And even for the pay-once games (like Guild Wars) there's still microtransactions that aren't really pay-to-win, but they're still microtransactions.

My point is that these publishers still need revenue. If they made a game that was entirely free, they'd have to use money brought in from other sources (like another game) which would bring down the production and running of that other source. Every single game has some form of payment, and a lot of it is up to the user-- and most of those games have enough users willing to pay enough to keep the game running. And it's great when that happens in the right game. Aion, for instance, is pretty good with this. You can buy high-end stuff, but it's no better than what you can get without paying, and the boosts you can get from paying just get you to the same goal faster.

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-28 00:58:34

Why waste your energy on hating something as mundane as this? If it's a pay to win game then stop playing it and move on with your life.

BBS Signature

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-28 07:05:33

Alright, I've concluded that you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. I don't know if you realize that's it's quite useless complaining about free content, it's fucking free.

BBS Signature

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-28 08:09:06

MMORPGs are a gigantic waste of time.

BBS Signature

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-28 08:12:18 (edited 2015-01-28 08:12:30)

I've played a pay to win thing before and quite enjoyed it. I didn't pay anything, nor did I "win", but I enjoyed it none the less. The game was Conquer Online and it was basically jump simulator since jumping was idiotically the quickest and most effective way of movement, so everyone would therefore jump endlessly, because game design. Basically you needed to pay real money for these "dragon balls" which could be used to upgrade equipment, and you needed to upgrade a shit ton of them into stuff to make end game content gear for pvp. So basically if you wanted to be good at pvp in that game you needed to pay a lot of real money.

I however dislike pvp, so I had no need to do such things, so in the end of the day I just enjoyed the game for free for a while.

That is a recurring thing with these games, usually it is pvp content that becomes pay to win, so if you just keep to enjoying the game as it is then you can play a free game for a long time and have some good fun. Just don't expect to be able to be "good" at it unless you pay real money, at which point say no to that and go to the next game.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-28 08:41:56

At 1/27/15 03:03 PM, Syncronyzy wrote: someone knows someone who is not pay-to -win ?

Depends on what you're interested in.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-28 10:37:26

The best part of pay-to-win games is being a free player and still kicking the butts of paying players.

Sure, you're going to start out with a lot worse stuff and, sure, it's going to take you a lot longer to get up to "competition" levels, and possibly certain in-game items or areas will be unobtainable for you, but relative to paid players who are around your level stat and stuff-wise, you're going to kick everyone's asses. The only ones who are going to be able to beat you are those of much higher levels but by the time you get there they will be jokes as well.

Think of it like what happens in real life, in a way. You have people who worked hard for what they have and you have people who basically got whatever they wanted handed to them on a silver platter. But push comes to shove, who has more skills, usually, between two people of similar resources -- one who worked hard to get there and one who was born rich?

You're only going to have a bad time if you're a little fish trying to take on all the big fish. So don't take on the big fish. You're not ready. You can still probably take on the medium-sized fish though.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-28 13:40:58

At 1/28/15 08:09 AM, Sword-of-Kings wrote: MMORPGs are a gigantic waste of time.

MMORPGs are aweasome.

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-28 17:17:52 (edited 2015-01-28 17:18:48)

At 1/28/15 08:09 AM, Sword-of-Kings wrote: MMORPGs are a gigantic waste of time.

I'd have to agree, but I would replace MMORPGs, with MMOs. I'm not saying they're just bad, it's just that there are a lot more far better games that actually focus on gameplay, while still in some cases providing good social elements if that's what somebody likes.

There are a few exceptions like Path of Exile for example, which has an amazing gameplay, and then it still provides optional social elements, and of course it's not pay-to-win.

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-29 15:43:45

At 1/27/15 08:42 PM, Lich wrote: Paying for Stat-less Cosmetics is fine, Pay-To-Win isn't.

so true.

BBS Signature

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-29 17:34:11

team fortress 2

destiny

guild wars 2

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-29 19:51:53

I ignore them instead of hating them.

BBS Signature

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-31 23:20:33

I agree, pay to win shouldn't be a thing. If it is, it should be cheap for people to get the items that help them win so much.

I hope it never happens in mainstream games though, that probably wouldn't be good.

BBS Signature

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-01-31 23:46:00

At 1/27/15 06:43 PM, Syncronyzy wrote: And with advertisements ?

Banner ads are a miserable failure. They make no money and people don't click them. Hence why companies try to find different ways to advertise leading these companies to find new ways to make revenue. It's part of the reason native advertising is rising.

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.

" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2015-02-01 01:57:14

I think that pay to win games are terrible by design. Everything should be balanced in all multiplayer games in order to get hackers to not be aggravated as much from anything that is extremely unfair, or they would likely exploit those unfair advantages to hide a hack or as counterargument to refrain from hacking.

And another thing to consider is that if the higher "rarity" weapons are balanced to be equally effective compared to the lower rarities overall, and if getting those weirder and more situational weapons takes a lot of time or money, that can still be a system that keeps customers and generates significant amounts of profit. TF2 had gotten this system down to the core of its design, with the rock-paper-scissors dynamic not required for such a system.

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2016-12-10 02:22:53

am I late?

Response to I hate games Pay-To-Win. 2016-12-12 08:41:27

Yeah, same here. I don't play games like that.

But then again... every game you buy is lika a Pay-To-Win game...

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature