00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Uploading games in development

455 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Uploading games in development 2015-01-27 04:57:59

I remember years ago being told here that you can't upload games that aren't finished yet, but I can't find any official info on this matter so I'm not sure whether it's out of date information or it was incorrect.

Can someone clarify this?

ALSO if we're not aloud to upload games in development what's the best way to get feedback on games we're working on?

Trying to post in topics that have no replies. Trust me it's a horrible feeling when nobody replies to your topic :{

Response to Uploading games in development 2015-01-27 05:46:33

At 1/27/15 04:57 AM, DannyDaNinja wrote: I remember years ago being told here that you can't upload games that aren't finished yet, but I can't find any official info on this matter so I'm not sure whether it's out of date information or it was incorrect.

People have uploaded games that weren't quite finished but still in development. It's generally frowned upon is what I gather but I don't think it's quite against the rules. NG and it's users don't want the portal flood with half finished crap games. Odds are it would get blammed. That also being said if what you have finished is rather polished and plays well with decent content then it should be fine - otherwise I wouldn't upload it I would...

ALSO if we're not aloud to upload games in development what's the best way to get feedback on games we're working on?

....use the dumping grounds. Upload your unfinished game there (which is what the vast majority of people do) and post the link to it here. That way you can ask us for feedback about very specific things (controls, content, gameplay, etc.). This is what I recommend if you are looking for solid feedback as most of the people that regularly use this forum are people that create games and thus have a better idea on how to improve your game (rather than some 12-year old kid that sees it in the portal). Just my opinion though.

Response to Uploading games in development 2015-01-28 03:41:14

If something says demo, wip, trailer, teaser etc, it's an auto 0 from me. No matter how well polished it is.

There are 5 icons beside your username. Which of those did you never touch?
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to Uploading games in development 2015-01-28 06:11:27

At 1/28/15 03:41 AM, Jin wrote: If something says demo, wip, trailer, teaser etc, it's an auto 0 from me. No matter how well polished it is.

There are 5 icons beside your username. Which of those did you never touch?
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump

Exactly. So just upload demos and call them full games. ;)
Just kidding.
What's a Wip?

Response to Uploading games in development 2015-01-28 06:17:02

At 1/28/15 06:11 AM, Aprime wrote: What's a Wip?

Work in progress. Multiple submissions of the same thing just seems to me like attempting to increase B.A.

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to Uploading games in development 2015-01-28 07:10:38

At 1/28/15 06:17 AM, Jin wrote:
At 1/28/15 06:11 AM, Aprime wrote: What's a Wip?
Work in progress. Multiple submissions of the same thing just seems to me like attempting to increase B.A.

Totally forgot about B.A. Do people seriously care about what there B.A. is on a website? That's kinda sad if so.

Response to Uploading games in development 2015-01-28 07:33:44

At 1/28/15 07:10 AM, Hero101 wrote:
Totally forgot about B.A. Do people seriously care about what there B.A. is on a website? That's kinda sad if so.

The fact that B.A. isn't even displayed, I doubt people care about it.
I think it's only needed to make collabs, and even then... well, I don't even know if they care about that anymore.

Response to Uploading games in development 2015-02-01 19:57:43

At 1/27/15 04:57 AM, DannyDaNinja wrote: I remember years ago being told here that you can't upload games that aren't finished yet, but I can't find any official info on this matter so I'm not sure whether it's out of date information or it was incorrect.

Can someone clarify this?

Not sure if this also helps but you can upload a game and not publish it, then invite people to test it with a link.

Might help?

At 1/28/15 07:33 AM, Aprime wrote: The fact that B.A. isn't even displayed, I doubt people care about it.
I think it's only needed to make collabs, and even then... well, I don't even know if they care about that anymore.

What on earth is B.A.?

I've released two versions of the game in early development on Kongregate, it's painful because I know it could get x5 more views on Newgrounds and that would mean x5 more meaningful pieces of feedback and advice.

Trying to post in topics that have no replies. Trust me it's a horrible feeling when nobody replies to your topic :{

Response to Uploading games in development 2015-02-02 08:44:17

At 2/2/15 06:22 AM, DannyDaNinja wrote: What on earth is B.A.?

B.A. stands for Batting Average. From what I remember it's basically your averaged score from all of your projects. I don't even know if it still exists anymore. It was a dumb way to judge one's talents and too many people back in the day got hung up on it.

I've released two versions of the game in early development on Kongregate, it's painful because I know it could get x5 more views on Newgrounds and that would mean x5 more meaningful pieces of feedback and advice.

Well screw it man just upload it and define it as a WIP in the title (not everyone reads a games description sadly...). Worst case scenario your game gets blammed and it never makes it on the site but odds are even then you'll get some feedback. Just know that you may face some feedback about those not accepting of having WIPs submitted to the portal. But I honestly say go for it and be specific in the game's description of what kind of feedback you are hoping for.

I also said it before but if you should also get feedback from people that create games (mostly everyone that visits this forum). Nothing wrong with getting feedback from the average gamer in the portal but we here can also provide a deeper insight and feedback to your game other than "needs medals" or "fun game".