00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

MAGFest Wrap-Up

27,729 Views | 79 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to MAGFest Wrap-Up 2015-01-29 09:19:56

At 1/29/15 09:05 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/28/15 06:47 PM, Gerkinman wrote: They just refuse to post content here, or refer their followers to the site, that to me dissociates them from the site.
They're locked into exclusivity with their current stuff. :(

YouTube have made Oney and Egoraptor be exclusive to their site?

BBS Signature

Response to MAGFest Wrap-Up 2015-01-29 09:22:53

At 1/29/15 09:19 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 1/28/15 06:47 PM, Gerkinman wrote: They just refuse to post content here, or refer their followers to the site, that to me dissociates them from the site.

To my understanding Ego and RubberNinja have exclusive network deals.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to MAGFest Wrap-Up 2015-01-29 09:35:55

At 1/29/15 09:22 AM, TomFulp wrote: To my understanding Ego and RubberNinja have exclusive network deals.

I still can't begin to get my head around this, since I don't fully appreciate how networks a) make money, b) prevent their artists from using other sites, and c) have any use to anybody.

It's this weird politics which makes people jump to conclusions about why artists do what they do.

BBS Signature

Response to MAGFest Wrap-Up 2015-01-29 09:36:36

At 1/29/15 09:22 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/29/15 09:19 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
To my understanding Ego and RubberNinja have exclusive network deals.

I didn't even know that was a thing. I mean with Game Grumps sure, but they don't even animate stuff anymore (unless you count paying others to make the content for them) so it sounds like a bad deal on the networks end.

DOUBLE POST! BAM! I thought that was fixed.

Response to MAGFest Wrap-Up 2015-01-29 17:57:06

At 1/28/15 06:30 PM, Luis wrote:

Well, if you ever were gonna have a newgrounds day instead of pico day i figure it would be in the year ng turns 20. Thats pretty insane and worth celebrating. Also insane are the user loyalty through all that time. I think itd probably prompt people to come together for such a milestone. Its probably a bit of an expense and chore to host these things but literally no other website on the internet can touch pico day's vibe.

make it happen Lou! youre the event planner master!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response to MAGFest Wrap-Up 2015-01-30 06:07:33

It was great meeting you and some of the other NG'ers Tom! I was the big dude with the huge bushy beard and beanie hat. I hope can attend next year as well!

Response to MAGFest Wrap-Up 2015-01-30 12:37:13

At 1/29/15 05:57 PM, MindChamber wrote:
At 1/28/15 06:30 PM, Luis wrote:

Well, if you ever were gonna have a newgrounds day instead of pico day i figure it would be in the year ng turns 20.
make it happen Lou! youre the event planner master!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

w00t!!!!

"A reward is it's own reward." - Killgar

Response to MAGFest Wrap-Up 2015-01-30 14:40:24

At 1/28/15 03:28 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/28/15 03:12 PM, OmiyaGames wrote:
At 1/26/15 02:55 PM, TomFulp wrote: @omiyagames (never managed to meet you!)
I was stuck Global Game Jam at the lower floor for the entirety of MAGFest. I have a photo of myself below, though.
Man I never even checked out the Game Jam space the whole time I was there!

No worries. I don't think it was openly advertised on the flyers they were handing out, so it doesn't surprise me there were a lot of confusion as to where it was.

Response to MAGFest Wrap-Up 2015-01-30 14:49:30

At 1/28/15 02:24 PM, k7vin wrote:
At 1/28/15 02:16 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/28/15 02:15 PM, k7vin wrote: I've heard nothing but good about MAGFest, and I really regret not going. I actually ended up doing the Global Game Jam instead, but next year will be different!!
Did you make a game that works on the web, or download only?
Ha ha! We barely made a game that WORKS. I got all the art assets done for it, and the programming team is looking to keep going, so we'll see! I'll convince everyone to post a playable version here if we finish though.

Aw, you could have gone to MAGFest AND attended Global Game Jam at the same time! Actually, that would have been a very expensive Global Game Jam, I admit, but it was possible this year.

Anyway, I ended up making a card game where you don't know the rules (link below). How'd you guys do?
http://www.techvalleygamespace.com/impossible-poker-post-mortem/

Response to MAGFest Wrap-Up 2015-01-30 15:21:25

At 1/30/15 12:37 PM, deathink wrote:
w00t!!!!

I've arranged for liljim to fly over and jump out of the cake.

None

BBS Signature

Response to MAGFest Wrap-Up 2015-01-30 18:28:38

At 1/30/15 03:21 PM, Luis wrote:
At 1/30/15 12:37 PM, deathink wrote:
w00t!!!!
I've arranged for liljim to fly over and jump out of the cake.

Smart thinking! we'll need like 2 cupcakes tops!

Response to MAGFest Wrap-Up 2015-01-30 19:10:46

At 1/29/15 12:55 AM, BooneBum wrote: Sleepy Cabin panel! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CndetLxV_SQ

It's only one shot and you cant really see Jeff, and the first part was cut off :(

But hey its the only one on Youtube

You can't even see Jeff.

Response to MAGFest Wrap-Up 2015-01-30 23:53:43

Wish I could have gone out that way man! Hope you had a blast!

Response to MAGFest Wrap-Up 2015-01-31 22:23:00

At 1/26/15 05:31 PM, JohnnyCocksville wrote: Thank you Tom and Stamper for signing my NG toys and hanging out with me. I promise you wont find them on ebay anytime soon.

Hey! I think i was standing there for this! neat.

Response to MAGFest Wrap-Up 2015-02-02 09:05:51

I believe it's pretty cut and dry.

If you're an online empire like Game Grumps, a network does a lot for you. They get you sponsors, hooked up with events, throw capital your way to make more content, deal with content-theft, and pretty much all things legal.

I have no idea how deep the exclusivity runs ... i.e. if he and Suzy had a flesh and blood child, would it be owned by the network? I think the easiest assumption to make is this : If he's planning on posting it to his youtube channel, game grumps, or any other channel that he owns AND is managed by his network, it's exclusive to Youtube (through which the network is managing the finances).

Posting elsewhere would dilute the potency of views intentionlly bottle-necked through the sources (in this case, youtube) chosen by the representing network.

Networks pretty much make money 3 ways: a) They take % of what your channel makes view the Youtube ad rev matrix. b) They get sponsorships from third party companies and products to which they either promote or include in their content . c) They garner capital from other entities express intent to expand (i.e. Google giving millions to Machinima ... there were a number of these cases).

But for 99.9% of content makers even with a million+ subs, networks pretty much do one thing. For 10%-20% of your total youtube ad rev (month in and month out), they send you a tax form every year. And that's about it.

The single greatest benefit, in fact what I've come to find to be the ONLY true and steady reason to seek out a network is how it affects yours ability to monetize. I don't know if it's since changed, but a few years ago, in order to successfully run ads on your videos (without a network) the Google Youtube team would have to approve it manually.

On numerous occasions (before content-id) plenty of Hollywood clips and other copyrighted material would show up with ads, however tons of creators would be rejected with original content ... it happened to be several times. In general, the process was such a crap shoot and sometimes very tedious. Basically, the google youtube ad approval team was either a bunch of fucking stupid bots, or even fucking more stupid humans.

But with a network (and I believe ANY network) ... you simply click "monetize" and done.

sorry for the long answer, laying in bed sick-ish .... gotta get up and work!!!!! <3

M

At 1/29/15 09:35 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 1/29/15 09:22 AM, TomFulp wrote: To my understanding Ego and RubberNinja have exclusive network deals.
I still can't begin to get my head around this, since I don't fully appreciate how networks a) make money, b) prevent their artists from using other sites, and c) have any use to anybody.

It's this weird politics which makes people jump to conclusions about why artists do what they do.

BBS Signature

Response to MAGFest Wrap-Up 2015-02-02 09:11:38

love you boys, and ya, my plan is to come out for a decent stint in April. man hugs, you sexy boyz

At 1/28/15 02:25 PM, TomaMoto wrote:
At 1/28/15 02:15 PM, TomFulp wrote:
I think @RicePirate will be in town some time around April... I keep alternating between trying to get a Pico Day headcount and sticking to my guns about last year being the final one. I have that same paranoia that no one will show up and then I end up being surprised every year.
Mick's a good enough reason for me to show up. Him and everyone else that already lives there, of course. I just like to double my pleasure.

BBS Signature

Response to MAGFest Wrap-Up 2015-02-02 10:50:18

At 2/2/15 09:05 AM, RicePirate wrote: Posting elsewhere would dilute the potency of views intentionlly bottle-necked through the sources (in this case, youtube) chosen by the representing network.

[...]

But for 99.9% of content makers even with a million+ subs, networks pretty much do one thing. For 10%-20% of your total youtube ad rev (month in and month out), they send you a tax form every year. And that's about it.

The single greatest benefit, in fact what I've come to find to be the ONLY true and steady reason to seek out a network is how it affects yours ability to monetize. I don't know if it's since changed, but a few years ago, in order to successfully run ads on your videos (without a network) the Google Youtube team would have to approve it manually.

On numerous occasions (before content-id) plenty of Hollywood clips and other copyrighted material would show up with ads, however tons of creators would be rejected with original content ... it happened to be several times. In general, the process was such a crap shoot and sometimes very tedious. Basically, the google youtube ad approval team was either a bunch of fucking stupid bots, or even fucking more stupid humans.

Thanks for the response, that's an enlightening read.

What strikes me is that it seems like YouTube can monopolise mainstream talent through bottle necking and their ad revenue, while the (many) smaller fry suffer by being handled by an outside party or bot.

BBS Signature

Response to MAGFest Wrap-Up 2015-02-02 14:33:14

It's not actually youtube, it's the networks that work through youtube that will sometimes force exclusivity. Not only do they have a relationship with youtube, but it helps to maintain full control of the material.

They'd generally only do this with channels that they are a sure bet, so they can guarantee certain sponsors and so forth.

m

At 2/2/15 10:50 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 2/2/15 09:05 AM, RicePirate wrote: Posting elsewhere would dilute the potency of views intentionlly bottle-necked through the sources (in this case, youtube) chosen by the representing network.

[...]

Thanks for the response, that's an enlightening read.

What strikes me is that it seems like YouTube can monopolise mainstream talent through bottle necking and their ad revenue, while the (many) smaller fry suffer by being handled by an outside party or bot.

BBS Signature

Response to MAGFest Wrap-Up 2015-02-06 02:09:47

Just saying that I didn't go to magfest due to money constraints, i messaged you twice about it but I understand you were probably really busy with everyone else who did go to magfest. Maybe next year Tom!

I should probably state this for anyone who wanted to go but couldn't due to budget restraints. If you volunteer for MAGfest, you can get free registration.

I volunteered for the past 2 years now. Work enough hours, they practically make you a staff member. And there's plenty of perks to be had beyond just a free entry fee. You also get hooked up with some free MAGfest merch. And if you pull 20+ hours the first year and become staff eligible. You'd also be eligible for free hotel room (shared with other staff members).

And it's not like you need to work 20 FULL hours, some shifts and jobs have weighted multipliers. Example, if you worked at the registration desks on the first day thru the busiest time. Those 4 hours you pulled are weighted 2x, giving you 8 hours.

I was a Full-Time staff member this year, I only paid for airfare to D.C. and some food.

For those of you wanting to go next year, this may be an option to explore. MAGfest staff are always looking for more volunteers to help make the event as awesome as possible!

BBS Signature

Response to MAGFest Wrap-Up 2015-02-06 07:53:47

At 2/6/15 02:09 AM, mohawkade wrote: I should probably state this for anyone who wanted to go but couldn't due to budget restraints. If you volunteer for MAGfest, you can get free registration.

Would be pretty awesome if lots of the MAGFest volunteers were from NG! They could tell everyone to come to whatever panels we have going on. :)

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature