00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Need pointers on landscape concepts

410 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I have been working on landscapes lately, not all of them are on Newgrounds, but I would like to know what to improve on.

Need pointers on landscape concepts

Response to Need pointers on landscape concepts 2015-01-24 13:30:29

At 1/23/15 11:05 PM, Znor wrote: I have been working on landscapes lately, not all of them are on Newgrounds, but I would like to know what to improve on.

I really like the painting. The only thing I would say is to add a bit more shading on the sands. other than that. fantastic artwork.

Just do it,

Kill yourself

BBS Signature

Response to Need pointers on landscape concepts 2015-01-24 15:10:36

At 1/24/15 01:30 PM, Dylpex wrote:
At 1/23/15 11:05 PM, Znor wrote: I have been working on landscapes lately, not all of them are on Newgrounds, but I would like to know what to improve on.
I really like the painting. The only thing I would say is to add a bit more shading on the sands. other than that. fantastic artwork.

Ah k, yea my current problem is with the land itself. I plan on working on it more. I will work on the shading :)

I personally think you should really shoot out some thumbnails if you're doing landscape concepts. Small, loose images where you focus mostly on the composition. If the lighting and scale work on that small scale then you'll be able to find a way to build a bigger, more complete piece from the thumbnails.

It's also good to do thumbnails to just warmup, you'll get the stiff things out of the way and you'll work up to a better piece :)

Try doing some grayscale ones, the values need a lot of work (for example the closer dune is lighter on the side opposite of the sun than the dune further from us) and before color comes into play you want to be able to guide the eye with value and scale of the subjects.

Response to Need pointers on landscape concepts 2015-01-25 13:52:50

At 1/25/15 07:40 AM, LuisEC wrote: I personally think you should really shoot out some thumbnails if you're doing landscape concepts. Small, loose images where you focus mostly on the composition. If the lighting and scale work on that small scale then you'll be able to find a way to build a bigger, more complete piece from the thumbnails.

It's also good to do thumbnails to just warmup, you'll get the stiff things out of the way and you'll work up to a better piece :)

Try doing some grayscale ones, the values need a lot of work (for example the closer dune is lighter on the side opposite of the sun than the dune further from us) and before color comes into play you want to be able to guide the eye with value and scale of the subjects.

Ok.
I haven't had any formal training with landscapes and values have always been a pain for me to understand. Thanks for all the pointers I will try some thumbnails out and put them on this forum thread.