00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kellyxeni2 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How to submit an .ogg file?

1,349 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello again everyone

How do you upload an .ogg file on the audio portal? I need the format to be .ogg, but it says I can only upload mp3 files. Is there a way to do that? Do I need some kind of permission or anything?

Thanks in advance!

Response to How to submit an .ogg file? 2015-01-22 11:20:28

Sorry, man. MP3s only. Why exactly do you need it to be .ogg?

BBS Signature

At 1/22/15 11:20 AM, FinaLee wrote: Sorry, man. MP3s only. Why exactly do you need it to be .ogg?

I've had problems looping my tracks, and apparently .ogg is the format I need for my track to loop properly. I was told to try uploading an .ogg file, so I thought it was abvious that there was a way to do that. Is it really really impossible?

I just listened to your latest track, so yeah I know there are ways to make your track loop properly even in MP3, but they all sound very complicated, and I'm just an amateur, so I was really hoping I could just submit an .ogg

Response to How to submit an .ogg file? 2015-01-22 11:42:36

At 1/22/15 11:23 AM, DJFibuko wrote: I just listened to your latest track, so yeah I know there are ways to make your track loop properly even in MP3, but they all sound very complicated, and I'm just an amateur, so I was really hoping I could just submit an .ogg

Not complicated at all! It's an easy setting in FL Studio when you export. Under "Looping Mode," you choose "Wrap Remainder" and you're all set! I'm not sure if the other DAWs have this sort of option, but it's what I did to make mine.

I was reading your other thread, and while it is true that mp3 formats leave a small second of silence at the end of the tracks, the Newgrounds audio player removes this silence so that your track will loop seamlessly, as @Mattashi said.

Hope I provided the solution to both of your threads!

BBS Signature

Response to How to submit an .ogg file? 2015-01-22 11:45:44

At 1/22/15 11:42 AM, FinaLee wrote:
At 1/22/15 11:23 AM, DJFibuko wrote: I just listened to your latest track, so yeah I know there are ways to make your track loop properly even in MP3, but they all sound very complicated, and I'm just an amateur, so I was really hoping I could just submit an .ogg
Not complicated at all! It's an easy setting in FL Studio when you export. Under "Looping Mode," you choose "Wrap Remainder" and you're all set! I'm not sure if the other DAWs have this sort of option, but it's what I did to make mine.

I was reading your other thread, and while it is true that mp3 formats leave a small second of silence at the end of the tracks, the Newgrounds audio player removes this silence so that your track will loop seamlessly, as @Mattashi said.

Hope I provided the solution to both of your threads!

Well, my DAW is FL Studio 10, so I'm going to check that straight away! If by doing that my track will loop as seamlessly as yours then that's what I was looking for. Thanks a lot man!

Response to How to submit an .ogg file? 2015-01-22 12:23:22

I actually have had issues with mp3 not looping right too. I exported as Wav and converted it in a 3rd party program to mp3. (goldwave) So you can always do that.

BBS Signature

Response to How to submit an .ogg file? 2015-01-22 12:26:57

At 1/22/15 12:23 PM, PeterSatera wrote: I actually have had issues with mp3 not looping right too. I exported as Wav and converted it in a 3rd party program to mp3. (goldwave) So you can always do that.

Thanks, what FinaLee said worked perfectly fine though. The answer was under my eyes all along, I was so blind. If you use FL Studio, you just need to do that

At 1/22/15 12:26 PM, DJFibuko wrote:
At 1/22/15 12:23 PM, PeterSatera wrote: I actually have had issues with mp3 not looping right too. I exported as Wav and converted it in a 3rd party program to mp3. (goldwave) So you can always do that.
Thanks, what FinaLee said worked perfectly fine though. The answer was under my eyes all along, I was so blind. If you use FL Studio, you just need to do that

Yeah. the problem with "Wrap Remainder" etc only wraps the last bar. Meaning if you have something - say an ambient track which blends more than a bar into the start things don't work/ sound right. Just something to keep in mind when composing, that anything other than the last bar, will not be part of the looped information to the start.

Sometimes I duplicate the last few bars before the first, and do the cut manually.

BBS Signature

Response to How to submit an .ogg file? 2015-01-22 14:18:19

WAVs loop better than mp3 files, and they can also be uploaded to the portal. ;)

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to How to submit an .ogg file? 2015-01-22 17:25:10

Why .mp3 is still the gold standard for audio playback is beyond me. Last I checked .ogg wasn't even natively supported in Flash.

.ogg or .aac should have been adopted as the replacement years ago.

BBS Signature

At 1/22/15 05:25 PM, DavidOrr wrote: Why .mp3 is still the gold standard for audio playback is beyond me. Last I checked .ogg wasn't even natively supported in Flash.

.ogg or .aac should have been adopted as the replacement years ago.

Yeah. It should have changed the problem is though not flash. it's that .ogg isn't web common. That's what flash depends on, until that happens you won't see it support it. Flash is designed not to be an animation program, but a interactive web development program. Content is created with the intention of having the final output on the web. So the SWF player only supports wavs or mp3 exporting, and the mp3s only go up to 160kbps. To sum up, the internets not moved first. So Flash won't either. It's a dud player. With awful audio and awful video playback. If you're making a small game, then that's the only thing you should export to swf for. If you animate in it, you should be importing audio as placeholder, exporting your animation uncompressed and editing in premier, finalcut or whatever with true audio quality.

Adobe are completely aware that Flash is coming to an end, the art tools are poor and have been the same for years now. Nothing inventively new. And what's hurt any drive is HTML5, as it slaughters swf for video playback, and a real gamers engine, Unity Web Player dominating the internet scene, which in version 5 supports next gen graphics. Flash, is done. There's no reason to push it anymore. There's 100's of other animation tools which are far superior, easier to use and get you to your product quicker.

It's a shame. It's been part of my pipeline for over 15 years, but the more as time went on, the more I started to turn to other applications.

BBS Signature

Response to How to submit an .ogg file? 2015-01-22 19:02:30

At 1/22/15 02:18 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: WAVs loop better than mp3 files, and they can also be uploaded to the portal. ;)

liar.

Response to How to submit an .ogg file? 2015-01-22 19:03:23

At 1/22/15 02:18 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: and they can also be uploaded to the portal. ;)

No shit? Well, don't I feel silly.

BBS Signature

Response to How to submit an .ogg file? 2015-01-22 19:15:04

At 1/22/15 07:02 PM, w00tw00 wrote:
At 1/22/15 02:18 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: WAVs loop better than mp3 files, and they can also be uploaded to the portal. ;)
liar.

Really? It was possible before the redesign and it was always the recommended format for loops...

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

You can't upload WAVs to the Audio Portal as far as I know, but you can download WAVs by right-clicking on the visualisation. There isn't much use for downloading a WAV when all it does is convert an already-compressed MP3 file to WAV, but I think the download as WAV option might be specifically for flash artists who want your track to loop. In fact, when I download a track on Newgrounds as WAV, it always loops perfectly in my media player. Therefore, if you want to download a loop on Newgrounds, download it as a WAV, and either keep it as WAV, or convert it to OGG (should be a simple process if you use FL).

The problem lies in the fact that the MP3 has roughly 30 - 40 ms of silence at the start which it appends to the start of the audio to store tags. OGG is great though, because not only does it loop well but it supports higher bitrates. I agree with @DavidOrr; I wish more sites and programs supported OGG. I think not even Mac OS natively supports OGG! (correct me if I'm mistaken)

Also, it's significant to note that, as far as I know, the Newgrounds audio player actually compensates for that 30 - 40 ms of silence at the start, by simply ignoring it/cutting it out during playback. Case in point, take this track of mine, listen to it on Newgrounds, and notice how it loops perfectly, even though it's an MP3 file. Now, I wanted to hear how it loops on my PC, so I downloaded my MP3 from Newgrounds, played the loop in my media player and captured the sound output in Audacity, so listen to that here. Lo and behold; that brief little cut of silence is still there.

Basically, it loops fine on Newgrounds, but doesn't loop fine on my PC, even though in both cases it's playing the same file. Hence, I'm forced to believe NG's audio player compensates for that silence, so your loops should still be smooth if played on Newgrounds, assuming you export them properly.

Sorry for my rambling :3.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to How to submit an .ogg file? 2015-01-27 06:05:29

At 1/27/15 01:25 AM, DJ-Howwl wrote: I don't see why we don't just adapt WAV files, they're far better than MP3, other than Storage.
But assuming we all live with a good internet connection and aren't cavemen, that'd be the smart thing to do.
/

Unfortunately, there are still cavemen.

Never knew @step that Ngs could be compensating. Innnteresting.

BBS Signature

Response to How to submit an .ogg file? 2015-01-27 10:35:28

At 1/27/15 05:14 AM, Step wrote:
The problem lies in the fact that the MP3 has roughly 30 - 40 ms of silence at the start which it appends to the start of the audio to store tags. OGG is great though, because not only does it loop well but it supports higher bitrates. I agree with @DavidOrr; I wish more sites and programs supported OGG. I think not even Mac OS natively supports OGG! (correct me if I'm mistaken)

Basically, it loops fine on Newgrounds, but doesn't loop fine on my PC, even though in both cases it's playing the same file. Hence, I'm forced to believe NG's audio player compensates for that silence, so your loops should still be smooth if played on Newgrounds, assuming you export them properly.

Sorry for my rambling :3.

Wow, all this time I thought the silence was at the end of the .mp3 file. I never actually checked to confirm -- I just knew there was silence and assumed it was at the end. The more you know :)

Yeah the NG audio play does a pretty good job compensating for the silence, though it's not perfect. Some people have used audio editors to manually snip out the silence, but I've never done that myself. When working with looping .mp3 in a game, I set up a system where the loop is triggered a fraction of a second early to compensate for the silence.

BBS Signature