00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AidenGanzer just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Tips for getting exposure?

1,662 Views | 20 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

There is one thing that has always escaped me, and it's, how people get so many exposure. I don't know why, but it doesn't matter how good a track i make or how much time i spent promoting it, it seems like i can never get past the 1000 views in Youtube or 300 views in NG without it getting lost. I know that one of the big points of music production is the art of promoting it, but it doesn't matter how hard i try or in how many sites i post a song, i can't never get past that threshold.

Any tips? I currently use Youtube, NG, Soundcloud, Facebook, G+, 10+ forums.

For example, i think this is one of the best tracks i have made to date, and it's only at 167 views :

Sometimes the best song you think you did turns out not being as popular whereas, strangely enough, a relatively simple piece gets more attention.

You do have quite a few videos on Youtube above 1000 views.
And for only giving 2 reviews on audio tracks and 13 posts in the forums, you seem to be doing pretty well considering that you have gotten reviews on your tracks and +300 listens on others.
One tip I can give is to be genuine. Unless of course you're genuinely a jerk.
Another tip: I would recommend making the time to reply back to the people that were kind of enough to give you their time in reviewing your work this year.
Overall, I think you're doing fine-- maybe having false expectations. I tend to like meeting new people and collaborating. If it weren't for that, I don't know why else I would be here.

Response to Tips for getting exposure? 2015-01-17 22:34:26

don't worry about how many views or whatever you get, just post your music and see what happens.

Response to Tips for getting exposure? 2015-01-17 22:38:13

At 1/17/15 10:34 PM, w00tw00 wrote: don't worry about how many views or whatever you get, just post your music and see what happens.

Oh yeah, i am not stopping anywhere soon, i make it because it's my passion, it's just... sometimes it's a little sad to make something that you think it's great to go unnoticed

Response to Tips for getting exposure? 2015-01-17 22:42:57

At 1/17/15 10:38 PM, NyxTheShield wrote: Oh yeah, i am not stopping anywhere soon, i make it because it's my passion, it's just... sometimes it's a little sad to make something that you think it's great to go unnoticed

you know what? it's funny, people tend to like the tracks i didn't put much time into rather then tracks i worked on for countless hours. people like what they like i guess.

everyone's into big room, that's like the thing to do, about everything else goes unnoticed.

Response to Tips for getting exposure? 2015-01-18 00:01:17

Not that everyone necessarily listens to the end of tracks they play (the vast majority probably are skipping through huge amounts of stuff at a time, and if it's not what they're looking for at the time it's a quick back button) but 168 views is 168 people, like actual, living people, that have heard your stuff. Some of them may have even come back to listen again holy crap! That's how I like to think about it, but maybe coming from Soundcloud where I was lucky if I got any listens at all (and then probably from family and the few musicians I've networked with there and in my city) has reverse-spoiled me and I'm too grateful. I should probably get going on Youtube, 1000 views is a whole bunch of confused Russians that could be listening to me right. friggin. now.

This is a shitpost, I have no idea how to get exposure either trolol. It doesn't help that internet social stuff has gotten confusing, the networking, the facebooks. All the outlets you're supposed to be on, bandcamp, mixcloud, cloudsauce, spaceface. I just want my IRC.

BBS Signature

You could try a slower shutter speed, a wider aperture, or a higher ISO value.

:)

:')

Response to Tips for getting exposure? 2015-01-18 00:49:44

At 1/18/15 12:42 AM, LunyAlex wrote: You could try a slower shutter speed, a wider aperture, or a higher ISO value.

)
')

LoooooooooooooL this actually made me laught XD

Response to Tips for getting exposure? 2015-01-18 12:29:47

Here are some tips for getting some exposure on Newgrounds:
- Post your submission in the Audio Advertisement Thread
- Post your submission in the Review for Review Thread
- Post your submission in the Review Request Club
- Make a news post about your new songs
- Link to your new songs in your forum signature
- Review others, help others out and be an active Audio community member

As for outside Newgrounds, I know for a fact that making remixes of new and popular songs can get a LOT of exposure. Back in 2011 I posted a song on here and Bandcamp called Bang-O-Rang, a few days before Skrillex released his album Bangarang. You can imagine how that went.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Until you're famous, put a thumbnail with a supermodel in bikini for each new track you post.
aka every electro compilation on youtube.
Remember exposure is all about quality

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=edm

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci!

BBS Signature

Honestly, I think the best way to get exposure is just to get yourself involved in as many damn things as you can possibly get into. Game dev needs music? Go for it. New contest/activity in the audio forum? Take part. Animator needs a score? Offer your services. In all of the cases, make sure you deliver well, and be as charismatic and friendly as you can possibly be to whoever you're working with. On top of that, get involved in social networks, and regularly update them.

If you do all that, and of course assuming your music is good-quality, you'll get places. This method doesn't solely rely on you getting lucky. It works. Just be proactive, seek opportunities and try not to overload yourself with work. You'll gradually get more friends, contacts, and opportunities, all of which can translate to subscribers, fans, and recognition. I need to stress, though, that the key is being proactive. Do not just passively post music on a site and hope you'll get noticed, because that is when exposure is purely luck-based.

If you're still improving in your music and it isn't the standard you want it to be at yet, then Newgrounds is a great place to hone your talents and develop as a musician. Once you feel confident in your work, squeeze into any reliable-looking project you can find and, if you play your cards right, I have a feeling you'll be satisfied with the results.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Tips for getting exposure? 2015-01-20 14:46:03

At 1/20/15 01:10 PM, Step wrote: Honestly, I think the best way to get exposure is just to get yourself involved in as many damn things as you can possibly get into. Game dev needs music? Go for it. New contest/activity in the audio forum? Take part. Animator needs a score? Offer your services. In all of the cases, make sure you deliver well, and be as charismatic and friendly as you can possibly be to whoever you're working with. On top of that, get involved in social networks, and regularly update them.

If you do all that, and of course assuming your music is good-quality, you'll get places. This method doesn't solely rely on you getting lucky. It works. Just be proactive, seek opportunities and try not to overload yourself with work. You'll gradually get more friends, contacts, and opportunities, all of which can translate to subscribers, fans, and recognition. I need to stress, though, that the key is being proactive. Do not just passively post music on a site and hope you'll get noticed, because that is when exposure is purely luck-based.

If you're still improving in your music and it isn't the standard you want it to be at yet, then Newgrounds is a great place to hone your talents and develop as a musician. Once you feel confident in your work, squeeze into any reliable-looking project you can find and, if you play your cards right, I have a feeling you'll be satisfied with the results.

yeah i noticed that, i am literally creating porfiles everywhere i can to expose my work, from Reddit to small MLP forums. Right now my main method of getting views is reaching EquestriaDaily (A MLP news site), which the obvious downside that it has to be MLP related work (And trust me, i DONT want to make Mlp music for the rest of my life lol), i have a couple of hundred subscriers on youtube, a 500 views song here in NG, but aside from that i am pretty low profile.

Also, yeah, i am trying to find a project, i am currently at a stage where i can say "My music is good enough and i can tackle anything that comes to me", but i haven't find anything that suits me. I am low profile but i don't wanna compose for a 100 views movie, i don't know if you get what i am saying lol

Response to Tips for getting exposure? 2015-01-20 14:53:15

At 1/17/15 10:38 PM, NyxTheShield wrote:
At 1/17/15 10:34 PM, w00tw00 wrote: don't worry about how many views or whatever you get, just post your music and see what happens.
Oh yeah, i am not stopping anywhere soon, i make it because it's my passion, it's just... sometimes it's a little sad to make something that you think it's great to go unnoticed

Quite a few artists have gotten massive exposure upon there death. So don't worry, if your passionate about it, it will all fall into place.

At 1/20/15 02:46 PM, NyxTheShield wrote: yeah i noticed that, i am literally creating porfiles everywhere i can to expose my work, from Reddit to small MLP forums. Right now my main method of getting views is reaching EquestriaDaily (A MLP news site), which the obvious downside that it has to be MLP related work (And trust me, i DONT want to make Mlp music for the rest of my life lol), i have a couple of hundred subscriers on youtube, a 500 views song here in NG, but aside from that i am pretty low profile.

Also, yeah, i am trying to find a project, i am currently at a stage where i can say "My music is good enough and i can tackle anything that comes to me", but i haven't find anything that suits me. I am low profile but i don't wanna compose for a 100 views movie, i don't know if you get what i am saying lol

Suggestion: don't just rely on the news site to draw MLP animators to you - talk directly to animators in the MLP scene, show them your work and your non-MLP work, and you probably have a good shot at reaching some collaboration. I envy you for having the advantage of coming from a community that actually has a strong animation group - furries are lazy bastards in comparison. Even if you think your work isn't as 'good' as the music they're using (my perpetual hang-up), if you focus on the ones that are using music that was released seperately (lots of people working with SFM do, for instance), they're dying to distinguish themselves from the horde of other animators using the same work, just like you're looking to get some recognition for your skill, and one of the ways they can do that - whether they know it yet or not ;) - is to have unique music that fits with their work.

And, of course, even if the videos you work on only get 100, 1k, views, your music should stand out enough to showcase to other animators. Having a relevant portfolio is probably as important in music as I didn't know it was in software :F (I use too many parenthesis)

BBS Signature

Response to Tips for getting exposure? 2015-01-20 15:15:16

At 1/20/15 03:01 PM, Eagleon wrote:
And, of course, even if the videos you work on only get 100, 1k, views, your music should stand out enough to showcase to other animators. Having a relevant portfolio is probably as important in music as I didn't know it was in software :F (I use too many parenthesis)

What's the correct way to make a portfolio? USually i link people to my Youtube playlist ( I have an "Original Music" playlist with all my remixes/original compositions)

At 1/20/15 03:15 PM, NyxTheShield wrote:
At 1/20/15 03:01 PM, Eagleon wrote:
What's the correct way to make a portfolio? USually i link people to my Youtube playlist ( I have an "Original Music" playlist with all my remixes/original compositions)

Disclaimer: I've had no commercial success with music, but neither have I particularly tried. I always end up making music instead haha.

I think it might be best to be selective and reasonable with what you send each person. They're probably only going to listen to one thing to make the decision to listen to the rest, and as nerve-wracking as it is, it might be counterproductive to give them all of your music at once - a personally written email and a link to two songs that you think fit their needs the best will do better than expecting them to find those two in the sea of whatever else you've written. It's really, really easy to forget that you can't listen to them all at once, and most people aren't going to devote half an hour to binging on your work unless you're that good =3 Which would be awesome, but I don't think people get that good without being able to make it their career in the first place.

As far as format for the rest of your work... Web 1.0 is awesome IMO, but I'm on the edge of being an old fart in that sense. I love it when I find an artist that I like, and they've taken the time to put together a website that fits with their style, even if they're using embeds from music sharing services. Makes it just a nicer experience to dive into a larger amount of music at once. Look into Wordpress if you're interested, it's actually gotten pretty easy to set something professional up.

BBS Signature

Response to Tips for getting exposure? 2015-01-22 19:52:38

I'm working on a few projects that involve mixing artists from the portal on my D.J decks. Bringing out a mix with stuff just from the Drum & Bass section for now, drop us a message if you think you've got a track for it. Release date is probably mid-late febuary.

Just to briefly speak of Youtube, I wouldn't expect a lot out of that site for musicians. Like animation (to a certain extent), music takes time and care to create at a consistently high-level. It can take some months just to produce a single decent album. Without the ability to upload long, high-quality material en masse on a consistent schedule, you're not really likely to find much worthwhile success on Youtube. Animators have been looking away from it for some time now for the same reason. The system really isn't built for that kind of model.

Keep branching out where you can, open networks may net you a lucky opportunity to really get yourself out there. At the same time, you have to manage all of those, so take care.

Response to Tips for getting exposure? 2015-01-22 22:15:37

At 1/22/15 09:48 PM, Darkmetroidomega wrote: Just to briefly speak of Youtube, I wouldn't expect a lot out of that site for musicians. Like animation (to a certain extent), music takes time and care to create at a consistently high-level. It can take some months just to produce a single decent album. Without the ability to upload long, high-quality material en masse on a consistent schedule, you're not really likely to find much worthwhile success on Youtube. Animators have been looking away from it for some time now for the same reason. The system really isn't built for that kind of model.

Honestly, i get 10x more visits from youtube than from Reverbnation/SoundCloud/Newgrounds all summed up. Maybe it's the nature of the sites, but for example i synchd out my Youtube with reverbnation (with only 600 subs) and i got first in the national ranking (ROFL), so it hink i will not get a lot from this sites :c (Except from newgrounds where i can develop contacts)

Response to Tips for getting exposure? 2015-01-23 02:13:39

At 1/22/15 10:15 PM, NyxTheShield wrote:
At 1/22/15 09:48 PM, Darkmetroidomega wrote: Just to briefly speak of Youtube, I wouldn't expect a lot out of that site for musicians. Like animation (to a certain extent), music takes time and care to create at a consistently high-level. It can take some months just to produce a single decent album. Without the ability to upload long, high-quality material en masse on a consistent schedule, you're not really likely to find much worthwhile success on Youtube. Animators have been looking away from it for some time now for the same reason. The system really isn't built for that kind of model.
Honestly, i get 10x more visits from youtube than from Reverbnation/SoundCloud/Newgrounds all summed up. Maybe it's the nature of the sites, but for example i synchd out my Youtube with reverbnation (with only 600 subs) and i got first in the national ranking (ROFL), so it hink i will not get a lot from this sites :c (Except from newgrounds where i can develop contacts)

It can work to an extent if you already have some sort of following on Youtube, but if you're looking to expand on that and (hopefully) one day make it big, it won't really take you there. Not just by uploading sporadic music content, anyways. Soundcloud and Reverbnation honestly have never done anything for me either, though RN has been useful for some who are more interested in performing for a wider audience. Soundcloud... yeah, different story. If what Youtube gives you is good exposure, definitely keep using it. I won't knock the idea of trying to get a larger following there if someone is dedicated to it. Some people have managed despite the difficulties, but I suppose what I'm implying is that you may find there's a ceiling that suddenly shows up down the line that keeps you from reaching where you'd like to be. Keep at it, I'm sure the exposure will come. Contact-building (like you mentioned) and involving yourself in projects that others will see may also introduce you to new audiences.

Response to Tips for getting exposure? 2015-01-23 02:45:01

At 1/17/15 09:29 PM, NyxTheShield wrote: There is one thing that has always escaped me, and it's, how people get so many exposure. I don't know why, but it doesn't matter how good a track i make or how much time i spent promoting it, it seems like i can never get past the 1000 views in Youtube or 300 views in NG without it getting lost. I know that one of the big points of music production is the art of promoting it, but it doesn't matter how hard i try or in how many sites i post a song, i can't never get past that threshold.

Any tips? I currently use Youtube, NG, Soundcloud, Facebook, G+, 10+ forums.

For example, i think this is one of the best tracks i have made to date, and it's only at 167 views :
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/599656

When I find a youtube channel I like a lot I'll send them a free copy of my latest album and tell them they can use it royalty free in their content. I've gotten around a million listens doing that alone.

Cryaotic counting over half that million.