00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ZodiousE just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Tips-O- The trade

1,052 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Tips-O- The trade 2015-01-12 07:16:27

Hey all, I'll make this as concise as possible.

I'm a starting producer, audio engineer just looking for some overall advice.

I'll say I have no traditional training in real instruments. Also, I am taking some classes that deal with working with sound equipment as well as learning most DAWs.

I've read it's a muscle.. to create when you can and as much as you can. So, I'm starting a little slow, The plan is 4 songs a month. To finish the first song on the 3rd the 2nd song on the 10th the 3rd on the 20th and the 4th on the last day.

Every day I will invest at least 4 hours, ( the first 2 hours working on the song that's closest to being due, one hour on the song for the end of the month, and the other hour is used for making new song/ concepts... that I can save a little bit of time by building a bigger library to pick and choose for the next song.)

Okay- I don't know if all that was saying too much. But to be a little more specific. I would like add my music to video games predominantly. Whatever comes otherwise I'm open to.

But if anyone could add to what I know please do so. I'm currently aware that.

It can be challenging at times but totally worth it. Time should be very organized. Self promoting is the way to go. Networking is a must, research, PRACTICE (especially because I'm new Persistence) .

Anything to add suggest? I'm all eyes.

Response to Tips-O- The trade 2015-01-12 11:53:20

I'm against forcing yourself to put out an X amount of songs a month and setting a deadline for each song. This would mean that if you aren't gonna make it to the deadline you're gonna release a crappy song (because you 'have' to finish it in time). That's not how it works. Sure you can plan hobbies, but don't do it per day. An X amount of hours per week is much better and can be planned better IMO.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Tips-O- The trade 2015-01-12 15:47:05

At 1/12/15 11:53 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: I'm against forcing yourself to put out an X amount of songs a month and setting a deadline for each song. This would mean that if you aren't gonna make it to the deadline you're gonna release a crappy song (because you 'have' to finish it in time). That's not how it works. Sure you can plan hobbies, but don't do it per day. An X amount of hours per week is much better and can be planned better IMO.

Ah, gotcha, and that I understand as far as not producing the best. My reasoning behind that though, is more like, setting dates so that I am holding myself accountable. As for the dates, well that's just I kind of want to keep a log of stuff that I do, and see how I grow as time goes on. I like each song more than the last so, that's good. The more skills I learn as time goes on I can always return back to them and enhance them.

Thank you

Response to Tips-O- The trade 2015-01-12 16:40:24

I dunno, I think the deadline idea is a good one. I find I'm more productive when I set deadlines for myself, and writing new music becomes easier. Starting out, I remember having real difficulty trying to come up with a "new" idea (especially back when I was writing a lot of electronica). There is something to be said for not pushing it out when you can't, but there is also something to be said about writing regularly and consistently. The key is to know when you need to take a break, and when you should keep pushing yourself.

Ideally, you'd try to write something every day. It doesn't have to be a lot. It doesn't have to be good. But it should be something. In this sense, it is absolutely a muscle -- and the more you exercise it like one, the better your results will be.

BBS Signature

Response to Tips-O- The trade 2015-01-12 19:35:47

or you could just make music that you like and upload here when you're satisfied.

Response to Tips-O- The trade 2015-01-13 00:04:24

At 1/12/15 07:35 PM, w00tw00 wrote: or you could just make music that you like and upload here when you're satisfied.

And that's perfectly fine if you don't want to push yourself.

BBS Signature

Response to Tips-O- The trade 2015-01-13 06:02:45

At 1/13/15 12:04 AM, DavidOrr wrote:
At 1/12/15 07:35 PM, w00tw00 wrote: or you could just make music that you like and upload here when you're satisfied.
And that's perfectly fine if you don't want to push yourself.

In my own way I am, gotta start from ground zero up. I agree with you too, though... kinda just answered (kind of already knew) my own question. That, in a lot of ways.. how one functions in ANYTHING depends on the individual.

Everyone is gonna do their thing, especially in the way of art.

Going to edit the excess info from my post- XD it's not very concise anyways.

Response to Tips-O- The trade 2015-01-13 08:46:07

At 1/12/15 11:53 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: I'm against forcing yourself to put out an X amount of songs a month and setting a deadline for each song. This would mean that if you aren't gonna make it to the deadline you're gonna release a crappy song

I'd use it as an exercise once or twice a week to help you improve workflow rather than make it a set thing for each song you make.

Just try to be consistent. And you don't have to upload everything you produce. Get the first song done, leave it for a week while you work on the next one, and then go back and re-listen to the first track you produced and see if its worthy of an upload (That's my advice)

Also don't beat yourself up if you feel like you are taking 10 steps forward and 100 steps backwards. You're still getting somewhere :P

Response to Tips-O- The trade 2015-01-13 14:52:49

At 1/13/15 08:46 AM, Chozz wrote:
At 1/12/15 11:53 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: I'm against forcing yourself to put out an X amount of songs a month and setting a deadline for each song. This would mean that if you aren't gonna make it to the deadline you're gonna release a crappy song
I'd use it as an exercise once or twice a week to help you improve workflow rather than make it a set thing for each song you make.

Just try to be consistent. And you don't have to upload everything you produce. Get the first song done, leave it for a week while you work on the next one, and then go back and re-listen to the first track you produced and see if its worthy of an upload (That's my advice)

Also don't beat yourself up if you feel like you are taking 10 steps forward and 100 steps backwards. You're still getting somewhere :P

Thx a lot! Yeah I'm kind of doing that- ish right now I know my stuff is probably not up to par for use in things. I am in a sense using them as testing grounds, doing things I hadn't before. (or at least try to) There is a song with the most focus though :D