00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Let's Debate!: Overrated Games

4,164 Views | 59 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-05 21:34:45

This should be fun.
So I already know this forum post has probably been made by a hundred different people a hundred different times. I get that. And you can call me a loser all you want. But the reason I made this post is that I love video games. Ever since I first played Super Mario Land for the GameBoy when I was 4. And I like to debate about games. Not because I'm a jerk, but because, I enjoy hearing other people's opinions on a subject that I hold so dearly to me.
So, below please feel free to talk about games that you find find get a bunch of hype that, they don't deserve. This should be fun.
Here"s my three:
1.) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
2.) Half Life 2
3.) Super Smash Bros.
NOTE: I LOVE THESE GAMES. It's just that they're not the second coming like everyone makes them out to be.

THE OWLS ARE NOT WHAT THEY SEEM

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-05 21:50:57

Half Life 2 is the most overrated game I have ever seen.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-05 22:18:29

At 1/5/15 09:50 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Half Life 2 is the most overrated game I have ever seen.

It has its moments where it sorts of fun. But for the most part, its really boring. Like the part where you are in the speedboat. Oh my god, I wondered if it would ever end.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-06 00:00:27

1.) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Most Legend of Zelda games are overrated. The original Four Swords and Twilight Princess are the only two that didn't bore me, and I was only able to play Four Swords after they re-released it to DSi with a character switch added.

Also on "Overrated Games": literally every main series Final Fantasy game VI and onward, barring XII.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-06 01:36:04

I would do but I could do without mentioning truth and coming back online to find countless notifications from people whining in response.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

The following is overrated:

The Halo franchise
The Assassin's Creed franchise
The Doom franchise
The Metal Gear Solid franchise
The Street Fighter franchise
The Mortal Kombat franchise
The Team Fortress franchise
Minecraft

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-06 10:20:39

Halo series

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-06 10:57:13

At 1/6/15 10:20 AM, TheKlown wrote: Halo series

I will give the third vote for the Halo series.

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-06 12:08:49

Half-Life 2 is the quintessential overrated game, considering that it ends with a cliffhanger and shows no sign of ever being completed. If this was anyone but Valve behind this game, they would be raked through the coals like 3D Realms and Gearbox was with Duke Nukem Forever.

Gone Home is another overrated game, if you are willing to call it a game instead of a poorly written interactive movie. I can't believe that people would praise something for horrible writing, inconsistent story and lack of gameplay.

Mother (including Earthbound) might just be the most overrated series of them all. I like the games and all, but all of the ridiculous amounts of hype and praise it gets means I can't reasonably take an honest opinion on it (i.e. point out the flaws) without being flamed over it. This might have to do with the fact that the first and third games were never released outside of Japan, and Earthbound when it was first released in the West pretty much was a dud.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-06 12:26:53

As a Hardcore RPG player, i can say with no doubt: FUCKING SKYRIM!
Skyrim is not a bad game, but it's not the fucking dream game a lot of people think it is.
Fallout 3 was a billion times better than Skyrim, New vegas is trillion times better than Skyrim.
But Skyrim became pop, it's a good RPG, but there are SO MANY RPGs that are way better than it.

Ceci n'est pas une signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-06 12:46:31

At 1/5/15 10:18 PM, BarninBella wrote:
At 1/5/15 09:50 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Half Life 2 is the most overrated game I have ever seen.
It has its moments where it sorts of fun. But for the most part, its really boring. Like the part where you are in the speedboat. Oh my god, I wondered if it would ever end.

Never gotten past it.

Tried to play it a good few times, always end up switching it off and never going back to it around there.

Love the original Half-Life, too.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-06 15:26:34

At 1/6/15 10:57 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:

Man, everyone hates Halo. I played the first one. If I had to sum up that game in one word, it would be REPETITIVE.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-06 15:35:44

At 1/6/15 12:08 PM, orangebomb wrote:
Mother (including Earthbound) might just be the most overrated series of them all. I like the games and all, but all of the ridiculous amounts of hype and praise it gets means I can't reasonably take an honest opinion on it (i.e. point out the flaws) without being flamed over it. This might have to do with the fact that the first and third games were never released outside of Japan, and Earthbound when it was first released in the West pretty much was a dud.

You know what, I agree with you about EarthBound. I never played the first or third one, but I did purchase EarthBound for the Wii U eShop, because i'm not willing to spend $500 for an original copy. I got the game expecting it to be be phenomenal. And it was good, hell, I might even say it was great, but it in no means stood up to its hype. Its fun and all, its got catchy ass tunes, weird ass bosses and enemies, and a strange setting, all things I love. But it's become almost hard for me to enjoy the game now, because of the how high the standards were. So, yes, it is very overrated. Unfortunately.

Let's Debate!: Overrated Games

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-06 17:35:04

Five Nights at Freddy's

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

Sig by Homicidee

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-06 18:39:43

At 1/6/15 03:26 PM, BarninBella wrote:
At 1/6/15 10:57 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
Man, everyone hates Halo. I played the first one. If I had to sum up that game in one word, it would be REPETITIVE.

To be fair the expansion to the first Halo was pretty damn good for its time. I still enjoy running around with twin Needlers blasting the piss out of people. And this coming from someone who finds FPS games to be the most dull genre currently in circulation.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-06 19:06:39

At 1/6/15 12:00 AM, DyxoXinoro wrote: The original Four Swords and Twilight Princess are the only two that didn't bore me
literally every main series Final Fantasy game VI and onward, barring XII.

Your opinions are wrong and I don't like you.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-06 19:31:17

Doom:
Flat levels (can't have one room on top of another) and no vertical look/aim or jump.

Quake:
Unfinished game with lousy keyboard controls.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-06 20:02:50

At 1/6/15 10:20 AM, TheKlown wrote:
To be fair the expansion to the first Halo was pretty damn good for its time. And this coming from someone who finds FPS games to be the most dull genre currently in circulation.

I fully agree with you that it was revolutionary for its time. Duh. But levels like 'The Library'....oh god..... just a constant loop of the same floor over and over and over and over and over and over and over. ugh.
But I will say the multiplayer can be fun as hell.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-06 20:05:36

Quake was inferior to Doom.

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-06 20:06:20

At 1/6/15 07:41 PM, Zachary wrote: Five Nights at Freddy's and Gone Home

Played FNAF's once for like 10 minutes. I like the challenge it provides. But its not scary. Unless you find stereotypical jump scares scary... And yeah, not really that fun.
Never played Gone Home. But your're the second person to say that it is overrated. Hmmmm..... maybe I should check it out...

At 1/6/15 07:06 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 1/6/15 12:00 AM, DyxoXinoro wrote: The original Four Swords and Twilight Princess are the only two that didn't bore me
literally every main series Final Fantasy game VI and onward, barring XII.
Your opinions are wrong and I don't like you.

Your contribution of absolutely nothing is greatly appreciated

At 1/6/15 08:02 PM, BarninBella wrote:
To be fair the expansion to the first Halo was pretty damn good for its time. And this coming from someone who finds FPS games to be the most dull genre currently in circulation.
I fully agree with you that it was revolutionary for its time. Duh. But levels like 'The Library'....oh god..... just a constant loop of the same floor over and over and over and over and over and over and over. ugh.
But I will say the multiplayer can be fun as hell.

I think I stopped paying attention to the campaign when I stopped being impressed by pretty scenery. It's horridly uninteresting from both gameplay and plot standpoints.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-06 20:43:51

League of Legends and Dota 2 has became very overrated.

At 1/6/15 07:31 PM, Painbringer wrote: Doom:
Flat levels (can't have one room on top of another) and no vertical look/aim or jump.

R u fuckin w/ me m8? Doom's level design complexity is far above most modern shooters and any modern version has vertical aiming and jumping, not that either has much of an effect on the overall gameplay. The vast majority of FPS games for years after still didn't have vertical aiming. That's the most ridiculous and arbitrary thing to claim it's overrated with, it doesn't even affect the game or diminish it at all in the context of its time. Like laying hate to Mario 3 for its limited colours.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-06 22:38:48

At 1/6/15 08:43 PM, ScrufflesMain wrote: League of Legends and Dota 2 has became very overrated.

LOL is more overrated than Dota 2.

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-07 06:50:50

At 1/6/15 10:38 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 1/6/15 08:43 PM, ScrufflesMain wrote: League of Legends and Dota 2 has became very overrated.
LOL is more overrated than Dota 2.

too be honest, I could never stomach those kind of online battle arena games.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-07 11:16:19

Metal Gear Solid was an okay, bit overrated game series.

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-07 15:25:05

At 1/7/15 09:28 AM, dem0lecule wrote: 1. Any Mario game

Kind of agree with you on this one. I understand where you're coming from, but they're not ALL overrated.

2. Zelda

This series is overblown. But, I can't fairly judge being that the only Zelda game I ever beat was Ocarina Of Time.

3. Final Fantasy

Never played. At all.

4. Metal Gear Solid

Never played. At all.

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-07 15:27:38

Halo is still the number one overrated series. All the Mountain Dew and Doritos did not help.

BBS Signature

While the speedboat part wasn't all that entertaining, I think Half-Life 2 and its sequels were pretty interesting. I speculate that the reason for the delay on the third episode is mainly because they want to try and find an intriguing element to include that won't make it seem like a remake of the previous games.

If you want to see a seriously overrated series, look at the Halo franchise.

I didn't say Call of Duty, because most non-casual gamers agree that it is shit.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to Let's Debate!: Overrated Games 2015-01-07 18:05:45

At 1/6/15 12:08 PM, orangebomb wrote:

I have to disagree I mean for its time and still to this day it did a lot of things right especially gameplay mechanics like the ability to skip a random battle against a weak enemy to grind easier. The humor is fun too

However I will say the fanbase is a bit annoying at times. In the comments section for Smiles and Tears in Smash Bros 3DS people were bitching about how Mother 3 got no reps or any love in this installment. When in reality Earthbound got more love then in previous games. Sure Lucas was cut but shit happens!

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature