00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How to Celebrate Pagan Xmas...

455 Views | 7 Replies

So once again, I, Ace the Neo Pagan, am wondering what I should do to celebrate Yule, which the rest of you call "Christmas" for some reason. In the past, I've been content to do pagan things like putting a tree in my house and piling gifts under it, but this year I can't help but wonder what it was that the original Pagans were celebrating at this time of year. As I was perusing Wikipedia, it gave an interesting suggestion.

The Wild Hunt.

This was a phenomenon that stretched across all of Western Europe, recognized by the Germanics, Scandinavians and even Gallics. A huge army of hunters with their dogs and horses would be seen or more often heard thundering across the night sky. In some traditions, they are hunting down demons and evil-doers, while in others, they are rounding up the lost souls and ghosts of the dead. And unlucky humans can get pulled along for the ride. Some people are abducted in the dark if travel the roads during Yule, while others might be swept up in their dreams and joint the hunt as astral projections. In Scandinavia, Odin was thought to be the leader of the Wild Hunt, astride the 8 legged Sleipnir, but elsewhere other individuals have been spotted leading the hunt, including women.

It even occurred to me that we have retained a far flung version of this legend in our own American Yuletime celebrations, the flight of Santa Claus. I've long suspected that the jolly old elf was really another one of Odin's disguises, but now it seems concrete. Of course, his image has been ruined by capitalism, along with the rest of the holiday.

So anyways, if you were thinking to yourself, gee, I'd love to do add some more Pagany touches to my Yuletime celebration this year, but I don't know what to do, there you go, solved. Re-enact the Wild Hunt.

Response to How to Celebrate Pagan Xmas... 2014-12-18 00:18:27

Isn't there a church or a holy domain site you could've gone to about this?

Oldskies lmao

BBS Signature

Response to How to Celebrate Pagan Xmas... 2014-12-18 07:01:11

When I clicked on this thread, I really expected the original post to contain nothing but:

Don't.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to How to Celebrate Pagan Xmas... 2014-12-18 07:12:19

Sorry to say this, but if you classify yourself as being a sort of religion yet have no idea what that entitles, then you should probably look elsewhere for something you have proper interest in.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to How to Celebrate Pagan Xmas... 2014-12-18 12:36:26

At 12/18/14 07:58 AM, LazyDrunk wrote:
yule
Saturnalia?

Saturnalia is Roman. Yule is Scandinavian/Germanic/Anglo-Saxon. It bugs the fuck out of me that people trying to slander the holiday season can't tell the two apart. It's like confusing Hanukkah and Diwali.

At 12/18/14 07:12 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: Sorry to say this, but if you classify yourself as being a sort of religion yet have no idea what that entitles, then you should probably look elsewhere for something you have proper interest in.

If you are under the impression that Other Religions = Christianity With Names Changed, you are very unequipped to handle the philosophies of Neo Paganism. Some Neo Pagans are not far from atheists, believing that the gifts of the gods have already been given, and it is up to us to perform the miracles. Many believe that the entirety of Pagan mythology is intended to be metaphorical, for example, when it's said that people who die of sickness go to Hel, people who die in battle go to Valhalla and Sessrumnir and people who die at sea go to Ran, it is merely a metaphor for saying that how you die decides how you are remembered, or in other words, how you die lives on for eternity.

Accepting Paganism is not like joining a political party. Even though much knowledge has been lost, the marks of Paganism are still present in our modern culture. We haven't been able to discard Paganism because we are Pagans, even if you go to church or call yourself an atheist, the mark of your gods are in your DNA. Neo Paganism means that I am admitting that I don't know exactly what the Ancestors did or how they thought, but also that it doesn't matter, because the religion wouldn't have remained unchanged if it had been followed all this time.

Response to How to Celebrate Pagan Xmas... 2014-12-18 20:49:04

Pagans celebrate Winter Solstice not Xmas. Xmas is cheaper, less entertaining version of Winter Solstice.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to How to Celebrate Pagan Xmas... 2014-12-18 20:51:00

Entire thread is an oxymoron.

BBS Signature

Response to How to Celebrate Pagan Xmas... 2014-12-18 20:55:12

At 12/18/14 08:54 PM, MMHM wrote:
At 12/18/14 08:51 PM, UFOx wrote: Entire thread is an oxymoron.
Military intelligence would suggest otherwise sir.

Of course they would...

BBS Signature