00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How do you draw faces?

553 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How do you draw faces? 2014-12-17 13:01:39

I'm just curious for those digital artists out there or cartoonists, how do you draw faces? In some of my recent character submissions, 1 of 3 things will happen: It comes out looking like a Hanna-Barbera cartoon, The character's head will always be facing towards the side or I'll just leave the face out all-together.

I feel I can draw bodies and poses well, but I never feel satisfied with faces. I feel the faces have been taking away from the piece instead of adding to it or complimenting it. Do you guys/gals have any tips or advice for drawing faces on characters?

Response to How do you draw faces? 2014-12-17 15:58:17

Good ol' Andrew Loomis is the guy you want to learn from.

I suggest for you to peruse his many other books which are free to view on the internet.
Your figures unfortunately look like they were traced from photos. The constant single line thickness also doesn't help this.

Response to How do you draw faces? 2014-12-18 07:05:15 (edited 2014-12-18 07:10:49)

At 12/17/14 01:01 PM, randomdude90 wrote: I'm just curious for those digital artists out there or cartoonists, how do you draw faces? In some of my recent character submissions, 1 of 3 things will happen: It comes out looking like a Hanna-Barbera cartoon, The character's head will always be facing towards the side or I'll just leave the face out all-together.

I feel I can draw bodies and poses well, but I never feel satisfied with faces. I feel the faces have been taking away from the piece instead of adding to it or complimenting it. Do you guys/gals have any tips or advice for drawing faces on characters?

I just left a super hasty how-to-draw heads tutorial here if you want a quick version, but Loomis will be the better choice for instruction.

Response to How do you draw faces? 2014-12-18 09:59:11

Hey mate, if you're willing to invest some time into it, using Loomis' book and practicing a lot from real life as well will be the best way of improving.

If you do reference real life, try to not worry about details and the features themselves at first, your main task is to get experience with the big shapes, how it fits together, and how subtle structural differences distinguish one person from another, so that when you make your own faces, not only will you already have a pretty good idea on how to start, but also know a bit on how to avoid making lots of characters with the same faces. Something a lot of artists do (I do it without noticing some times).

Here's a quick yet very useful tutorial on how to draw heads and faces from virtually any angle: http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2009/05/draw-head-any-angle/

Response to How do you draw faces? 2014-12-18 10:14:38

At 12/17/14 01:01 PM, randomdude90 wrote: stuff

You know how I do it, I draw a face, without guidelines, because guidelines are for pussies, real men just stick their dick right in there, full chub, no fuss, no tip, just full throbbing cock, you fail, you accept it, move on, try again, eventually you'll get it but never try to handicap yourself with easy methods, do it the hard way, the more you struggle the more you learn the more stronger you get.