00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Help with AS2 for point n click

516 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Help with AS2 for point n click 2014-12-15 00:02:51

Making an interactive point and click flash game and I am in a bit of a jam. I don't know a lot about actionscripting, and there aren't a lot of layman terms to describe the lot of what ActionScript 2.0 does. AS2 is what got me to drop from flash animation a while ago and I want to start my flashing back up again. So I was wondering if anyone here has any advice, help, tutorials or anything that can help me learn how to make a point and click game.

Response to Help with AS2 for point n click 2014-12-15 10:21:39

Response to Help with AS2 for point n click 2014-12-15 16:51:13

At 12/15/14 10:24 AM, Voltage wrote: actually there are a lot of resources on AS2 at this point - what most point and clicks revolve on are variables and variables can be called via triggers to reposition movie clips + adjust their own timelines so instances "disappear"

And how do I do that? I mean how can I identify a symbol as a trigger or variable?

Also how do movie clips work for the Point and Click mechanic?

Response to Help with AS2 for point n click 2014-12-15 18:36:12

If you check out some basic AS2 tutorials and learn the fundamentals of programming, the concept of point and click will come to you easily. Here's some tutorials for basic AS2:

http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/tutorials/flash-game-tutorials

Although if you're learning from the start, I recommend AS3 instead. It’s a bit more complex, but it’s much better in terms of what you can do, and relates much better to other languages. In the end though, it’s up to you.

Bang!

Response to Help with AS2 for point n click 2014-12-15 18:53:28

At 12/15/14 06:36 PM, ThatGreenAlien wrote: If you check out some basic AS2 tutorials and learn the fundamentals of programming, the concept of point and click will come to you easily. Here's some tutorials for basic AS2:

http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/tutorials/flash-game-tutorials

Although if you're learning from the start, I recommend AS3 instead. It’s a bit more complex, but it’s much better in terms of what you can do, and relates much better to other languages. In the end though, it’s up to you.

Like what for examples? I want to be sure the flash game is stable and accurate enough so that there won't be any bugs. What does AS3 have?

Response to Help with AS2 for point n click 2014-12-16 15:52:12

At 12/15/14 06:53 PM, MasterSarge300 wrote: Like what for examples? I want to be sure the flash game is stable and accurate enough so that there won't be any bugs. What does AS3 have?

Here are a few:
http://www.bannersnack.com/blog/advantages-of-as3-vs-as2-why-should-google-adwords-accept-actionscript-3-banners/

I think the biggest advantage is how it’s more OOP-oriented. A feature you really learn to appreciate.

Bang!

Response to Help with AS2 for point n click 2014-12-16 16:16:48

At 12/16/14 03:52 PM, ThatGreenAlien wrote:
Here are a few:
http://www.bannersnack.com/blog/advantages-of-as3-vs-as2-why-should-google-adwords-accept-actionscript-3-banners/

I think the biggest advantage is how it’s more OOP-oriented. A feature you really learn to appreciate.

Ok so I did what you said. Only the problem I got now is that some of the functions don't work now. XD The scenes play out on their own. Stop(); doesn't work anymore nor gotoAndPlay function. Is there a work around to that?

Response to Help with AS2 for point n click 2014-12-16 17:31:20

Also I don't know how MovieClips operate. I tried AS3 before but it was too complicated. Nothing worked for me. Idk which does what.

Response to Help with AS2 for point n click 2014-12-17 11:56:37

At 12/16/14 05:31 PM, MasterSarge300 wrote: Also I don't know how MovieClips operate. I tried AS3 before but it was too complicated. Nothing worked for me. Idk which does what.

You really need to worry less about making your game work and more about learning the fundamentals to programming. Once you get a better grasp of everything the solutions will just come to you (at least the less complex ones). I wasn't very great getting my start with online tutorials so I learned through a book. I recommend this one here . After the first 4 chapters you will know everything you need to get your point n click adventure game up and running.

Yes it is for learning AS3 but if you plan on making more than just this game then you should really learn AS3 or AS2. AS2 is over 10 years old, outdated, and is officially no longer supported by Adobe. Nothing wrong with those that still choose to use AS2 but if you are just starting to learn then you might as well learn AS3. That book I recommended isn't the absolute greatest but the author makes easy for beginners to learn the basics. It not only got me a great grasp on AS3 but once I finished the book I was able to use my knowledge gained from it and was able self learn more advanced techniques on my own (something I wouldn't have been able to easily do without first learning/understanding everything from that book).

So.....this post turned out longer than I intended. If you really want to learn games you got to understand the language. If you don't want to learn through online tutorials get the book - you build fun games in it while coding so it's not boring at all.

Best of luck to you and feel free to ask for help in the forums again. Just know that we can't help you if you don't understand the basics of actionscript.

Response to Help with AS2 for point n click 2014-12-17 13:18:36

But I don't know where to start! Materials in books and videos are limited to what I am trying to look for. And they don't do a good job explaining in laymens term.

Either that or I am not looking well enough. I hardly know what and how classes function or how to apply as3 scripts to em. In fact I can't apply scripting to movieclips.