00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiichigoInu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cyprus Dispute

504 Views | 2 Replies

Cyprus Dispute 2014-12-09 00:34:22

Time to put your knowledge and political opinions of Cyprus to the test! Many people don't have any knowledge of this dispute, I personally suggest glancing at this wiki page before you answer.

Which side do you stand on?

If you had to give Cyprus to a side would you give it to the Greeks or Turks?

Opinions on Pontic genocide?

Should Cyprus morph into a single independent nation?

Which empire had best control of territory (Egyptians, Hittite, Persians, Byzantines, Roman, Ottoman, British etc)? You have a crap ton of options to chose from (not just the ones I listed).

Opinions on UN buffer zones? Are they effective?

Do you currently view Cyprus as one country? Should nations like the US recognize the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus?

What should happen to the abandoned cities of Cyprus? Should said abandoned towns be under UN or Turkish control?

Cyprus Dispute

BBS Signature

Response to Cyprus Dispute 2014-12-09 12:51:58

I'm not sure what the Greek Genocide has to do with Cyprus considering at the time it was a British Territory.

The issue in itself is just another dumb Balkans dispute, but the reason it's important versus say the Macedonia v. Bulgaria issue is that the two main players, Greece and Turkey, are part of NATO and this is a weakness in the alliance as the Soviets exploited back in the 70's, bringing Greece closer to the Warsaw Pact. It's a result of centuries of ethnic conflict, of Turkish encroachment onto territories predominately inhabited by Greeks (the Greek Genocide being the major one with Greeks being uprooted from areas that were historically Greek like Pontus).

As far as I can tell the two sides have cooled down significantly over the issue, they're more concerned with their shitty banking system.

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.

" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature

Response to Cyprus Dispute 2014-12-12 17:00:50

Cyprus should be one nation. That would help unite the people toward one direction. Being divided by two nations has never worked well for any country.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature