00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Enjoyedthat just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

To GameDevs from Europe (Tax Stuff)

434 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello there. I am looking for a Game Developer/Content Publisher who published games/content on Newgrounds, in past and participated in Revenue Sharing Program. I would need some advices in case of W-8BEN forms and stuff alike. The best bet would be someone from Poland (Because we are from Poland) but any Europe country will do.

Kudos!

Response to To GameDevs from Europe (Tax Stuff) 2014-12-07 05:14:49

At 12/7/14 05:08 AM, SadCatStudio wrote: I would need some advices in case of W-8BEN forms and stuff alike.

I'm in Europe and have had to fill one of these out. What's up?

At 12/7/14 05:14 AM, liljim wrote:
At 12/7/14 05:08 AM, SadCatStudio wrote: I would need some advices in case of W-8BEN forms and stuff alike.
I'm in Europe and have had to fill one of these out. What's up?

Was hoping some useful advice would pop up here. :) I've stalled with filling out those W-8BEN forms myself forever, since the process just seemed so viciously complicated, all IRS pages written in such a way it looks like they're attempting to scare away all potential applicants. If you don't mind answering, I do have a few questions about that process: about the SS-4 you need to fill to get an EIN for the W-8BEN (assuming you had to do that too?):

- Regarding 'answering questions concerning the Form SS-4' when you call in, do they go through the entire form and all included fields? I mean, do you fill out the form via phone or just answer certain questions? Did you call in btw or is there some easier way? How long did it take (pondering phone call costs...)?
- For 7b (it says: ITIN, EIN or SSN), is a local social security number OK? Do you have to apply for an international one? All terms seem to point to US-only ID types, and the instructions don't clarify a thing...
- What 'type of entity' (9a) would a regular individual class as? (nothing about that under instructions either...)
- I guess 'reason for applying' is 'Compliance with IRS withholding regulations'?

What could really be useful btw is a sample SS-4 and W-8BEN already filled out on the wiki (with non-personal info, of course), just to show which fields you need to fill and what options you'd check, by default, as a regular alien, to get through this process as easily as possible.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to To GameDevs from Europe (Tax Stuff) 2014-12-09 14:43:00

At 12/9/14 02:26 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Was hoping some useful advice would pop up here. :)

He's had help outside of the forums... I think we may need to update the wiki entry a little, Tom wrote this (amongst other things) in an email to him:

http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/monetization/international-taxes

The number on this page is (267) 941-1099 - I've already talked to a lot of people who were intimidated to call the number but then had an easy time obtaining an EIN when they did. It's worth a shot!

Your English is really good, so maybe try that and let us know how you get on? I agree that the instructions online are difficult to follow, I ended up paying some intermediary a small fee to deal with the application just to avoid headaches and get it out of the way.

Also: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/607365

Response to To GameDevs from Europe (Tax Stuff) 2014-12-10 16:56:44

At 12/9/14 02:43 PM, liljim wrote: He's had help outside of the forums... I think we may need to update the wiki entry a little, Tom wrote this (amongst other things) in an email to him:

http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/monetization/international-taxes

The number on this page is (267) 941-1099 - I've already talked to a lot of people who were intimidated to call the number but then had an easy time obtaining an EIN when they did. It's worth a shot!

Your English is really good, so maybe try that and let us know how you get on? I agree that the instructions online are difficult to follow, I ended up paying some intermediary a small fee to deal with the application just to avoid headaches and get it out of the way.

Well I guess I'll have to give it a try eventually! :/ Will do when I do! Thanks.

Also: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/607365

Nice! :D Not sure if they were included in the old layout btw, but... are review responses maybe also saved for deleted submissions?

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature