00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Em0-Snail just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club

4,782 Views | 48 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello and welcome to the Spanish-speaking lounge (that's what "Salón Hispanohablante" means).

This is a place where you can talk in Spanish (and English) with other people from Spanish-speaking countries, help practice the language if you're trying to learn it, get translations (because who the heck trusts Google Translate?) and learn about the history and culture of Spanish-speaking countries.

You're more than welcome to post in BOTH Spanish and English, but please keep in mind that the ultimate purpose of this thread is to unite people who speak and/or are interested in learning about the Spanish language.

Enjoy, NG community! :D

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~Kermit the Frog

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-01 15:09:03

Awesome, now i can learn a bit more about your language. I'm Portuguese so it shouldn't be that hard.
Are you gonna make posts teaching some words/phrases or are you waiting for more people to join?

At 12/1/14 02:42 PM, SCTE3 wrote: as long as the club doesn't turn into exclusively speaking another language as it excludes everyone else when this happens.

I know that NG is an english site but don't we do that to pretty much anybody who isn't fluent in english?

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-01 15:37:49

At 12/1/14 03:09 PM, Radaketor wrote: Are you gonna make posts teaching some words/phrases or are you waiting for more people to join?

Hmm...I hadn't considered that before, but maybe! Thanks for your input!

At 12/1/14 02:42 PM, SCTE3 wrote: as long as the club doesn't turn into exclusively speaking another language as it excludes everyone else when this happens.

I'll make sure it doesn't! Thank you, SCTE3. ^^

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-01 17:00:57

Going to try and post here without any dictionary, friend, or Google translate help...

Spanish:
Creo que esto es un idea buena! Yo tengo problemas con ciertas palabras y verbos differentes. Por ejemplo, participio pasado, y usando tiempos de verbales differentes. Tambien, aprendi de Professores lo quien hablaban Espanol de Espana, por eso ellos usandan "vosotros" etc, pero donde yo vivo, mucho gente hablan el "Mexicano" tipo de espanol y lo tiene algunas diferencias.

English:
I think this is a great idea! I have problems with certain words and different verbs. For example, past participle and using types of different verbs. Also, I learned from Professors who spoke "Spain" Spanish, using words like "vosotros", but where I live most people speak Mexican spanish and it has a few differences.

Boy am I rusty. Well I hope this was a good way to get this thread rolling. I think it will be a good way to brush up on different phrases. Really good idea! I'm sure I had a few flubs in my Spanish translation but I gave it my best shot. I definitely want to become more fluent so that I can speak to fully native speakers as opposed to people who know a bit of Spanish/English which is a bit of a crutch for me. Helpful thread idea though for sure. :)

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-01 21:32:21

At 12/1/14 05:00 PM, frootza wrote: Going to try and post here without any dictionary, friend, or Google translate help...

Great! Thanks!

Just one small correction: I believe you meant "usaran" instead of "usandan."

Also, that reminds me:

ARCHIVO DE ACENTOS (ACCENT ARCHIVE):

á
é
í
ñ
ó
ú
¿
¡

Please copy and paste these accents into your posts if you know how to use them and really want to speak proper Spanish (this goes for everyone, not just Frootza). ;) Should've put these in the OP...

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-02 11:25:44

At 12/1/14 09:32 PM, TaintedLogic wrote:

You could make this club into a sort of a school where there could be different teachers, one for grammar, one for pronunciation and another one for spanish culture, for example; the grammar teacher could have his classes on Mondays, the pronunciation teacher could have them on a Wednesday/Thursday and the culture teacher could do his on a Friday/Saturday and then at the end of each lesson the teacher could ask if anyone had any questions.

Just a thought.

BBS Signature

Heeeey, good to see this thread got approved by a proper forum mod! Excellent, I hope it goes well. I wish I held onto the Spanish I learned from Spanish classes...
Oh well, still ain't too late.
To all future participants:
¡Bienvenidos!

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-02 14:49:43

At 12/1/14 09:32 PM, TaintedLogic wrote:
ARCHIVO DE ACENTOS (ACCENT ARCHIVE):

Español
¡Verdad! Yo olvidi poner estos aquí.

¿Alguno de ustedes saben los "hot keys" para Mac y PC? Yo uso los dos. Google podría ayudar jaja.

English...
True! I forgot to put those here.

Anyone know the hot keys for Mac and PC? I use both. Google could help though haha.

Thanks for the correction!

What if we start with a bit of "slang" terminology? It's something I never learned much of during school..

One of the few I know that, my friend says is the equivalent to "Whats up?" is "¿Que onda?" (for Mexican Spanish) but people from Spain I think seem to use "¿Que tal?.

Any more common phrases that anyone wants to share?

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-02 21:58:27

At 12/2/14 02:44 PM, CiviLies wrote: Heeeey, good to see this thread got approved by a proper forum mod! Excellent, I hope it goes well. I wish I held onto the Spanish I learned from Spanish classes...
Oh well, still ain't too late.
To all future participants:
¡Bienvenidos!

I appreciate your response, man! That was - what? - two months ago that I made that initial thread that got locked? :D

@Frootza No es un problema: http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/bylanguage/spanish.html

@Radaketor That's an interesting idea, but perhaps a little ambitious for the resources I have now. I'll try to teach you guys some stuff occasionally, but I'm afraid I only have time to organize that sort of thing on the weekends. ;(

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-04 18:47:08

I don't know if ya would find this interesting or not but I can dig some spanish poetry (haiku? jeje), especially if it has the translations/captions.

Thanks to Green-Chicken for the sig graphics, ur awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-04 19:56:14

At 12/4/14 06:47 PM, jhypsyshah wrote: I don't know if ya would find this interesting or not but I can dig some spanish poetry (haiku? jeje), especially if it has the translations/captions.

I am so on it, haha. Te tengo: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1368157/12#bbspost25320147_post_text

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-09 10:34:38

Me gustan
frases pequeñas.
Soy lento.

ty, pardon my language. XD

Is that better?

BBS Signature

I'm actually in the process of taking a Spanish class right now, so this could be an awesome contribution to the forums. I'm glad to see such a positive influence here.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

At 12/9/14 10:34 AM, jhypsyshah wrote: Me gustan
frases pequeñas.
Soy lento.

Spanish:
Tu poema era hermoso y simple! ¡Buen trabajo!

No estoy seguro de si era un Haiku, pero era agradable!

English:
Your poem was beautiful and simple! Good job!

I'm not sure if it was a Haiku, but it was nice!

*Slow and steady wins the race! Don't be discouraged bud!*

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-09 17:50:43

Here is a quck verb chart I got together to help people trying to Speak in the Present Tense. I'll try to get to the other more complicated tenses at a later date... Hope that it shows up properly when I post.

-AR Verbs (ie: Nadar: To Swim)

Yo( I) | O Nosotros(We) | Amos
Tú (You) | As Vosotros(Rare) |
Usted (You Formal) | A Ustedes (You all) | AN

Few quick examples of this in usage...

Yo nado! (I swim)
Tú nadas (You Swim)
Usted nada (You Swim, formal)
Nosotros nadamos (We Swim)
Ustedes nadan (You all swim)

Keep in mind these verb conjugations for -ar verbs are meant to be used for events that happen in the present (ie: you read)

I feel like it is a nice starting point. If anyone would like to post some more verb conjugations or even submit a nice chart it might help.

Next up I think it is easier to handle Er, verb conjucations, then ir, and then start to delve into past/future tenses.

My Spanish Professor made a very good point to me when she said (in English)...

"Now you have the tree but it doesn't have many leaves on it. The foundation because you guys understand the grammer. It's up to you to make sure the leaves grow vibrantly (the leaves being the vocabulary)."

That is something I'm working on day by day.

PS: Apologies if there was any mistakes in my post but I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-09 20:13:44

@jhypsyshah Claro. ¡Mucha mejor! (yes, much better!).

@Sectus Great! That's what I like to hear. I'm actually a Spanish student myself - English is my first language. For exactly how long have you been studying Spanish?

At 12/9/14 05:50 PM, frootza wrote:
-AR Verbs (ie: Nadar: To Swim)

Ah, yes! This is the first lesson I had on Spanish on my first day of 7th grade, 5.5 years ago! :')

If I may add a few details:

To form the conjugations for hablar (to speak), you drop the -AR at the end and add letters depending on whom you're referring to (i.e., who is speaking).

"Yo" means "I." Add "o." --> Yo hablo (I speak).
"Tú" means "you." Add "as." --> Tú hablas (you speak).
"Usted is the formal version of "you," i.e. if you're talking to an adult you don't know well as opposed to a friend. Add "a."
--> Usted habla (you speak, sir).
"Nosotros" means "we." Add "amos." --> Nosotros hablamos (we speak).
(let's ignore "Vosotros" for now...it's complicated.........)
"Ustedes" is the plural version of "you." Add "an." --> Ustedes hablan (you guys speak).

Remember that this is ONLY for verbs ending in -AR. Frootza explained it well, but I just thought I'd try to show you guys another, more explicit way of remembering it.

Also, the usted form of the verb is also used when you're referring to someone/something you usually refer to as he, she or it. For example, "Habla Español" can mean either "you speak Spanish, sir" or "(s)he speaks Spanish" depending on the context. "Ella" means "she" and "él" means "him," so if you wanted to make it clear you could say "ella habla Español" (she speaks Spanish).

The ustedes form of the verb is also used when referring to people you usually refer to as "them." For example, "Hablan Español" can mean either "you guys speak Spanish" or "they speak Spanish," depending on the context. "Ellos" means "them", so if you wanted to make it clear you could say "ellos hablan Español." Also, if all the individuals in the group of "them" you're referring to are female, you can say "ellas," which is the feminine version of "ellos."

Well, that's enough info for one day, I suppose. I appreciate your ongoing devotion to this thread, Frootza. ;D

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-11 22:30:43

Estoy aprendiendo Español en mi tiempo libre. A la momento, puedo escribir y leer mejor que hablo y escucho, pero quiero practicar estas áreas más. Espero visitar España en el futuro, tal vez el proximó verano.

Apologies for butchering your beautiful language.
English (I think?):

I'm learning Spanish in my free time. At the moment, I can read and right better than I speak and listen, but I want to practice these areas more. I hope to visit Spain in the future, perhaps next summer.

My current Spanish knowledge doesn't really go past present tense and gerund form verbs. Slow and steady...

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-11 23:48:03

At 12/11/14 10:30 PM, Sam wrote:
Apologies for butchering your beautiful language.

haha, no te preocupes. Solo soy un estudiante de Español también. ¡Bienvenidos al club, Sam!

haha, no worries. I'm just a Spanish student too. Welcome to the club!

Your Spanish seems fine to me, but if you'd like a convenient way of translating, I'd recommend these resources over Google Translate (and this goes for everyone, btw):

http://www.spanishdict.com/
http://www.wordreference.com/

These sites are really only good for translating specific words though, not long phrases. If you want to make sure there aren't any errors in an essay you wrote for Spanish or something, I'd hope this thread will turn into a place where people will be willing to "peer edit" that way. In the meantime, I am willing to do so as best I can. :) Sorry, got a little off topic there, haha... ;D

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-12 08:30:51

No creo que alguien á postado isto ainda mas yo jugo the és una buena forma de aprendir la lingua castellana. http://www.digitaldialects.com/Spanish.htm

my language is pretty much the same as spanish so i might've mixed up some of the terms, i talk and understand better than i type

I don't think anyone's posted this here yet but i think it's a good way of learning the spanish language. http://www.digitaldialects.com/Spanish.htm

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-12 15:01:32

At 12/12/14 08:30 AM, Radaketor wrote: No creo que alguien á postado isto ainda mas yo jugo the és una buena forma de aprendir la lingua castellana. http://www.digitaldialects.com/Spanish.htm
my language is pretty much the same as spanish so i might've mixed up some of the terms, i talk and understand better than i type
I don't think anyone's posted this here yet but i think it's a good way of learning the spanish language. http://www.digitaldialects.com/Spanish.htm

Interesting...it is very similar! In fact, I believe Spanish and Portuguese are considered mutually intelligible. I believe in Spanish, you would say:
No creo que alguien ha publicado eso aquí pero yo pienso que es una buena manera para aprender la lengua Español.

I appreciate the link to that website, though. It's a very useful online source indeed! :D Thank you!

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-12 15:13:01

At 12/12/14 03:01 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: Interesting...it is very similar! In fact, I believe Spanish and Portuguese are considered mutually intelligible. I believe in Spanish, you would say:
No creo que alguien ha publicado eso aquí pero yo pienso que es una buena manera para aprender la lengua Español.

I appreciate the link to that website, though. It's a very useful online source indeed! :D Thank you!

Bien, Portugal e Espanha biben al lado un do otro por isso creo que es normal que tengamos lenguas parecidas.
Perdon se yo estoy massacrando l castellano (creo que los americanos lo llaman espanõl), el unico contacto que hai tido con la lengua ha cido con la dublagen castellana de Doraemon quando era un chico.

Es gracas a esse website que yo estoi aprendindo noruegues para quando me mudar para lá.

Well, Portugal and Spain live next to eachother so i think it's pretty normal that we have similar languages.
Sorry for butchering the castellano language (i think Americans call it Spanish), the only source i had to learn it was by watching a dubbed version of Doraemon when i was a kid.

It's thanks to that website that i'm learning Norwegian for when i move there.

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-17 11:22:09

At 12/12/14 08:30 AM, Radaketor wrote: I don't think anyone's posted this here yet but i think it's a good way of learning the spanish language. http://www.digitaldialects.com/Spanish.htm

Español
¡Híjole! No puedo creer que usted descubrió que!

¡Yo recuerdo usando la mismo sitio de web cuando yo estaba en escuela secundaria!

English
Wow! I can't believe you found that! I remember using the same website when I was in High School (Colegio para mucha gente, [Sometimes it is called college])

Sometimes we would just go to the language lab and run through different exercises as warm ups. I feel like it was a lot easier to learn when I was in school because you almost always had one or two partners to communicate with.

Much like @Sam I feel like at the moment my reading/writing ability far exceeds my speaking ability but it's always nice being able to pick up on what people are talking about. I definitely need to hone my pronunciation, I can't even "RR" properly and end up cheating when ever I come across those words haha.

Anyone have tips on pronouncing words which include a rr? (For example, correr to run) it is something I know even some native speakers can't do but it makes one's accent all the more convincing.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-17 13:47:48

At 12/17/14 11:22 AM, frootza wrote: Anyone have tips on pronouncing words which include a rr? (For example, correr to run) it is something I know even some native speakers can't do but it makes one's accent all the more convincing.

Creo que isto le ayudara.

I think this could help you.

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-25 10:13:57

Allllright, well I finally came around to joining!

¡Buenos días, vatos! ¿Cómo estás?

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-25 10:23:25

At 12/25/14 10:13 AM, CiviLies wrote: Allllright, well I finally came around to joining!

Haha, estoy bien, gracias. ¿Y tú? Thanks for joining and ¡Felíz Navidad!

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-25 10:31:24

At 12/25/14 10:23 AM, TaintedLogic wrote:
At 12/25/14 10:13 AM, CiviLies wrote: Allllright, well I finally came around to joining!

Haha, estoy bien, gracias. ¿Y tú? Thanks for joining and ¡Felíz Navidad!

Estoy es algún tanto pesado.

I am somewhat bored

I stayed awake through the night, then realized I hadn't posted here in a while. So here I am!
Sorry for not previously being more active, but better late than never, I guess. I did manage to favorite this thread this time, so looking forward to being around here more.

¿Cómo es Navidad para todos?

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2014-12-25 10:56:45

At 12/25/14 10:31 AM, CiviLies wrote:
Sorry for not previously being more active, but better late than never, I guess. I did manage to favorite this thread this time, so looking forward to being around here more.

haha, no problemo. I'm not as active here as I should be either!

¿Cómo es Navidad para todos?

Bien, gracias. No mucho ha pasado ahora. Mi madre está conduciendo para recibir mis abuelos porque ellos no pueden manejar ahora. Son débiles, desafortunadamente. No hemos abierto los regalos. Esperamos para mis abuelos. :)

--> Good, thanks. Not much has happened yet. My mother is getting my grandparents because they can't drive themselves here. They're a little frail, unfortunately. We haven't opened any gifts yet. We're waiting for them. :)

¿Cómo es la Navidad para ti, CiviLies?

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2015-02-20 17:49:44

I came scross this and thought I'd share it:

duolingo.com

I just started doing it but it looks pretty cool so far. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2015-02-20 21:30:46

At 2/20/15 05:49 PM, jhypsyshah wrote: I came scross this and thought I'd share it:

duolingo.com

Ah, ¡buen trabajo, señor! Parece una manera fácil aprender Español (y otras lenguas también). :)

Good work, sir! It seems like an easy way to learn Spanish (and other languages too). :)

BBS Signature

Response to Salón Hispanohablante-Spanish Club 2015-02-20 21:58:05

Like I said I'm only like a day or so into it but it does kind of seem to really ease me into it, at my own pace. It appears to have a way for people to test out of sections and parts of it too. Also seems to have tools to keep it from degrading over time.

It does have some other languages and I would guess that it would be good for people wanting to learn english, as well.

Best of all, it's free too. I remember reading something optional, where you can pay them 20$ for some kind of certification through the site, after you learn. I'm not sure who accredits that (if anyone) except for linkedin, think it said it would add it to some kind of skill set, under the skills section, on your linkedin account. Not sure how useful that really is though.

Other than that, I found a cool chick on youtube that reads stories in spanish and they often have english subtitles in them. I think she has stories at different reading levels. I usually read the ones for little kids. Short stories for babies and nursery rhymes and such, cause that's about the level that I'm on, sadly..they are still hard for me to understand without pausing it. I do like it when she does the different voices through the stories, hehe..I haz no shame. XD

At 2/20/15 09:30 PM, TaintedLogic wrote:
Ah, ¡buen trabajo, señor! Parece una manera fácil aprender Español (y otras lenguas también). :)

Good work, sir! It seems like an easy way to learn Spanish (and other languages too). :)

BBS Signature