00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

froggartfrog just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How do you stay focused?

606 Views | 14 Replies

How do you stay focused? 2014-11-15 03:14:15

Lately I've been finding myself getting extremely sidetracked very easily. At most I can work for a half hour at a time before I have to get up and go do something. My productivity is absolutely awful. What do you do to keep yourself focused while you are working, studying, or otherwise doing something boring?

Only thing that has helped for me is to set a small goal. But that at best works half the time.

(>'-')>

Response to How do you stay focused? 2014-11-15 03:25:41

At 11/15/14 03:18 AM, Cordyceps wrote: I have a pretty good sense of timing, so I just piss around doing whatever until I need to get shit done, then I'm ready to go until its finished.

Also lots of stimulants.

Problem is, I am already at that stage. I have an enormous project on my hands right now. For discussion's sake, let's say my overall goal is 650 units. I'm currently producing 15-25 per day, but I only have 15 days left. That is 375 out of 650 at best. I know I am physically capable of producing 50-80 units per day, which is the horribly frustrating part.

Also, I've gotten to the point where drinking coffee is doing nothing for me besides spiking my blood pressure like hell. -_-

(>'-')>

Response to How do you stay focused? 2014-11-15 03:27:14

For me, I try to look at the end result. If I'm working on homework, I just think that once I'm finished with it I won't have to worry about it anymore. I have terrible problems leaving things unfinished if I know there are things I have to do that have a deadline.
Like, if I have a project due a week from now and I don't complete it within the first day or two, I worry about getting it done through the week and it's hard for me to focus on other things. Like if I start playing a game I'll just start thinking "Well I'm gonna have to do that eventually..." and I can't shake it from the back of my mind.

I guess the best advice I have to give is to continue setting small goals and finding good reasons to justify what you're doing and why it's better to have it done than not done.

Does anybody even read these?

BBS Signature

Response to How do you stay focused? 2014-11-15 04:06:36

Bleargh. I have great reasons. The greatest I can think of, honestly, other than "if I don't do this I will be violently tortured until I die."

I blame my mother for not disciplining me enough as a child.

(>'-')>

Response to How do you stay focused? 2014-11-15 04:50:59

Think of the task like this: if you get it done, what are the benefits of it? Do the pros outweigh the cons? Why do you want to do it? Would it be possibly not to do it? Could you do it differently? And if after that you still have to or want to do it, set up smaller tasks, reward yourself only for progress (don't focus on failure), shut out any potential distractions, just get started (it's easier to go on once you're getting somewhere) and remember Parkinson's law: that work always expands to fit the time frame you give it, so if it's something you don't want to do, the longer you give yourself to do it, the longer it'll take.

Least that's what I try to think when I need to motivate myself.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to How do you stay focused? 2014-11-15 05:33:29

I believe last minute panic is what keeps me on my toes.

Response to How do you stay focused? 2014-11-15 07:17:42

Being disinterested in anything else I can do.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to How do you stay focused? 2014-11-15 09:59:41

At 11/15/14 05:33 AM, NGPulp wrote: I believe last minute panic is what keeps me on my toes.

So much this.
I can't write two essays in two weeks and I'm capable of finishing them in just one day before the deadline. Same goes for projects etc.

Bitte meine beliebte Nazi mods, keine bannerino, weil ich auch ein Nazi Scwein bin! Danke schön

BBS Signature

Response to How do you stay focused? 2014-11-15 10:34:10

I don't. I'm a huge procrastinator. I have no focus.

BBS Signature

Response to How do you stay focused? 2014-11-15 10:45:55

As a few people said in this topic 'Continue setting goals for yourself'. Peace of mind is usually my main goal but as well as that I like to reward myself after getting something completed like a milkshake or a fatty-boom-batty blunt

BBS Signature

Response to How do you stay focused? 2014-11-15 10:55:09

Trying something new today... I set a long term reward of buying a bigfancything for finishing everything by the initial deadline, and a short term reward of playing some Age of Empires with my lady if I can up my production by 50%.

It also dawned on me that if I ever actually slept I might be more productive as well.

+.+

I'd share some of my own tips for productivity but they're clearly not working >:[

(>'-')>

Response to How do you stay focused? 2014-11-16 16:06:40

Listening to music almost every single time I am on the computer.

Amicum cum volo illi sunt bonum habere

Pro amor Deus, Satanus et populus christianus.

Pater noster qui in infernis

BBS Signature

Response to How do you stay focused? 2014-11-16 16:32:18

Focus? How can I focus when I can't stop thinking about senpai

She's the only thing on my mind

5:24 PM - Hat-Fondler: adverb

5:24 PM - 平沢唯: jewishly

5:25 PM - Kupo: frothingly

BBS Signature

Response to How do you stay focused? 2014-11-16 17:31:37

At 11/16/14 04:32 PM, JRob wrote: Focus? How can I focus when I can't stop thinking about senpai

Am I senpai?

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to How do you stay focused? 2014-11-16 17:34:38 (edited 2014-11-16 17:46:11)

At 11/16/14 05:31 PM, BumFodder wrote:
At 11/16/14 04:32 PM, JRob wrote: Focus? How can I focus when I can't stop thinking about senpai

Am I senpai?

いいえ、貴方は先輩じゃないですよ。先輩は可愛い日本の女ですよ。

Begone, baka gaijin

5:24 PM - Hat-Fondler: adverb

5:24 PM - 平沢唯: jewishly

5:25 PM - Kupo: frothingly

BBS Signature