00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Heln966 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Hard Drive Failure

428 Views | 13 Replies

Hard Drive Failure 2014-11-14 15:43:57

Have any of you experienced this? I just did for the first time. This hard drive I got in back when I built this computer in July of 2013 is pretty much fucked. It still kinda works, but it's extremely slow and some files are corrupted. I got almost everything off of the drive before it got this bad, so I didn't really lose that much.

Hard Drive Failure

BBS Signature

Response to Hard Drive Failure 2014-11-14 15:54:04

Yes before on my old computer which I had to replace.

Hi therey

Response to Hard Drive Failure 2014-11-14 16:00:33 (edited 2014-11-14 16:03:06)

At this point there's pretty much nothing you can do to salvage it. Either find some use for it until it's rendered completely useless or take it to a computer shop for recycling.

You could also scrap it for parts if you're just that interested in magnets.

Save the jumper if it has one. It can be re-used on other hardware.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Hard Drive Failure 2014-11-14 16:05:55

At 11/14/14 04:00 PM, Sekhem wrote: the days before ssds were very dark

Those times were called the dark ages.....

Hi therey

Response to Hard Drive Failure 2014-11-14 16:07:12

At 11/14/14 04:00 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Save the jumper if it has one. It can be re-used on other hardware.

What do jumpers come with? I don't think I have any.

BBS Signature

Response to Hard Drive Failure 2014-11-14 16:15:41

At 11/14/14 04:07 PM, Sword-of-Kings wrote:
At 11/14/14 04:00 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Save the jumper if it has one. It can be re-used on other hardware.
What do jumpers come with? I don't think I have any.

Got anything that looks like those rectangular black/blue/white pieces in that picture? If there's one or more on your hard drive it'd be around the location near the top of that picture. Those are jumpers.

It's the little things you can save from failed hardware that are still useful for other hardware.

Hard Drive Failure

Response to Hard Drive Failure 2014-11-14 16:19:20

At 11/14/14 04:15 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Got anything that looks like those rectangular black/blue/white pieces in that picture? If there's one or more on your hard drive it'd be around the location near the top of that picture. Those are jumpers.

It's the little things you can save from failed hardware that are still useful for other hardware.

So that's what the pins on hard drives are for? What are they useful for?

BBS Signature

Response to Hard Drive Failure 2014-11-14 16:27:18

At 11/14/14 04:19 PM, Sword-of-Kings wrote:
At 11/14/14 04:15 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Got anything that looks like those rectangular black/blue/white pieces in that picture? If there's one or more on your hard drive it'd be around the location near the top of that picture. Those are jumpers.

So that's what the pins on hard drives are for? What are they useful for?

Configuring settings like master/slave for example. Could have other uses which are specific to specific hard drives. And yes that's what those pins are for. You'll also notice similar pins on your motherboard and those are also for setting various hardware settings specific to that motherboard. Other hardware can also have them.

It's a simple case of saving the jumper if it had one and if not, don't worry about it.

Also sometimes computer repair shops will steal jumpers from people's computers they fix just FYI. It's something to watch for.

Response to Hard Drive Failure 2014-11-14 16:31:41

You always cry about everything. Deal with it. 31 degrees doesn't look good anyway. Is it still summer where you live, or is your AC on a really high setting? You should probably get some better cooling for your PC or just a fan.

Response to Hard Drive Failure 2014-11-14 16:52:38

At 11/14/14 04:31 PM, Tuttugu wrote: You always cry about everything. Deal with it.

Of course I do. I've been using this emoticon for months. Do you really think I'm actually crying about this?

31 degrees doesn't look good anyway.

31 degrees is normal.

Is it still summer where you live, or is your AC on a really high setting?

It's cold as fuck here.

You should probably get some better cooling for your PC or just a fan.

My cooling is fine.

Hard Drive Failure

BBS Signature

Response to Hard Drive Failure 2014-11-14 17:56:30

A few weeks before Halloween, actually. I was working on a really cool track for Halloween, but it is now forever lost. Ah, well.

Back up your drives!

BBS Signature

Response to Hard Drive Failure 2014-11-14 18:39:38

My drive started making noises within less than a year after getting it, but I didn't get any warning messages until 5 months later. I didn't lose any data, but the computer had a hard time shutting off/turning on to the point that I just left it on until the new one arrived.

It's fun to stay alive

-Limepopsicle

Response to Hard Drive Failure 2014-11-14 18:56:41

At 11/14/14 06:39 PM, torithefox wrote: My drive started making noises within less than a year after getting it, but I didn't get any warning messages until 5 months later. I didn't lose any data, but the computer had a hard time shutting off/turning on to the point that I just left it on until the new one arrived.

Was the operating system installed on the hard drive? Nothing like that happened to me, probably because I had Windows installed on my SSD.

BBS Signature

Response to Hard Drive Failure 2014-11-14 19:00:32

At 11/14/14 06:56 PM, Sword-of-Kings wrote:
Was the operating system installed on the hard drive? Nothing like that happened to me, probably because I had Windows installed on my SSD.

Yep. I considered switching to a SSD but I couldn't afford both that and a HDD.

It's fun to stay alive

-Limepopsicle