00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

this style in traditional media?

586 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

this style in traditional media? 2014-10-30 00:20:28

so I was fucking around with this style in photoshop for a couple afternoons and was wondering if there was a way I could do this style in traditional media.

Specifically what I want is hard blacks I can go over in hard whites and refine and correct as I go along, would brush pens be good for this sort of thing or am I barking up the wrong tree with that?

this style in traditional media?

Response to this style in traditional media? 2014-10-30 00:35:25

At 10/30/14 12:20 AM, M-Maher wrote: so I was fucking around with this style in photoshop for a couple afternoons and was wondering if there was a way I could do this style in traditional media.

Specifically what I want is hard blacks I can go over in hard whites and refine and correct as I go along, would brush pens be good for this sort of thing or am I barking up the wrong tree with that?

There are multiple ways to go about doing that in traditional media that I can think of off the top of my head. First would be using black marker or india/acrylic ink for the black and there is white acrylic ink, or even just white-out for the white. You could use black and white acrylic paint but you'd want to buy some thicker paper or even better, canvas sheets. You could go the route of charcoal and white Conte just use fixative (hairspray) after laying the blacks and the white will sit on top of the black without mixing. I'm sure there are other ways to get the effect you want as well, but I think ink and white out would be the easiest and cheapest way to go about it.

Response to this style in traditional media? 2014-10-31 10:17:55

A stick of compressed charcoal used properly will also work

Response to this style in traditional media? 2014-10-31 20:55:43

I've seen some people do really cool stuff like this with markers, but if you go the marker route, prepare to either spend a whole bunch of time hunting for cheap ones that don't suck balls, or working overtime to pay for decent ones, because markers are expensive as shit.
Also, going with markers might not be the best idea if you need to work/rework your art to get it the way you want, they're kind of a do-or-die medium and trying to fix mistakes is a crap-shoot at best.
Hope this helped.