00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Html5 Games Ng Portal: Question

1,362 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Html5 Games Ng Portal: Question 2014-10-26 15:54:01

Hello,

Quick question here: when writing an HTML 5 game for the NG portal, is javascript a yes or a no? Will people be offended if we include java in our writing?

Also, should the game be introduced by a !DOCTYPE or can the html jump directly into the core of the code?

Thanks!

Response to Html5 Games Ng Portal: Question 2014-10-26 17:58:03

At 10/26/14 03:54 PM, Luciaea wrote: Hello,

Quick question here: when writing an HTML 5 game for the NG portal, is javascript a yes or a no? Will people be offended if we include java in our writing?

Also, should the game be introduced by a !DOCTYPE or can the html jump directly into the core of the code?

Thanks!

I don't see how you can write an HTML 5 game without jvs but I might be misunderstanding your question.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Html5 Games Ng Portal: Question 2014-10-26 22:25:27

No, I mean, I want to use jvs. It would help... a lot... so it's ok to do so on ng, yes?

Thanks for replying!

Response to Html5 Games Ng Portal: Question 2014-10-26 23:28:30

At 10/26/14 10:25 PM, Luciaea wrote: No, I mean, I want to use jvs. It would help... a lot... so it's ok to do so on ng, yes?

You can't make an HTML5 game without using JavaScript, so, yes, you are allowed to use JavaScript.

At 10/26/14 03:54 PM, Luciaea wrote: Will people be offended if we include java in our writing?

You're not confusing Java with JavaScript, are you? They are not the same thing and aren't at all related to each other (other than their names). You will not be allowed to use a Java web-applet in your game, if that is what you are asking.

Response to Html5 Games Ng Portal: Question 2014-10-27 09:53:22

And thank christ too. I've been wishing web-based java applets would be 100% phased out for a long time now.

And yet people still write them.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Html5 Games Ng Portal: Question 2014-10-27 11:01:52

Yeah, Java web-applets are a blight on the history of the web, but fortunately nothing of any significant merit is made with them anymore and browser addons such as NoScript can ensure that they are blocked by default.

Response to Html5 Games Ng Portal: Question 2014-10-27 12:17:24

Oh lord, got it. Yes, I meant JVS. I refer to it so often as Java that I forgot to differentiate. My bad. Guess this answers the question.

An NG game will also support CSS and most other features of HTML, right?

Response to Html5 Games Ng Portal: Question 2014-10-27 13:36:16

At 10/27/14 12:17 PM, Luciaea wrote: An NG game will also support CSS and most other features of HTML, right?

Yes. Anything that you can do with an HTML5 game hosted on your own website, you can do Newgrounds. It has been a while since I've played around with HTML5 application on Newgrounds but I'm fairly certain that the application is just stuck in an iframe, which means that all HTML and CSS is supported.

The only real limitation is the size of the viewport, as the game would need to fit inside the Newgrounds layout, but that shouldn't be an issue.

Response to Html5 Games Ng Portal: Question 2014-10-27 16:44:01

Thanks! And does 1024x768 sound reasonable?

Response to Html5 Games Ng Portal: Question 2014-10-27 22:22:41

That resolution would work just fine, though I personally would find it a wee bit small. You could also use something slightly larger such as 1280x720 but it's ultimately up to you; there's no right or wrong resolution to use.