00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is He an Idiot or Genius?

900 Views | 6 Replies

He's Darrick Lamm, a rapper known as Dexx, who lives in my
hometown of Santa Rosa, CA. I've never met him and I don't think
I've ever seen him, but I've worked with a guy who
personally knows him.

He's 29, and he made one of the most remarkable music videos ever.
It's called "Just Got Released," and it's about, well, him
getting out of the jail and that "good feeling" when you're out
on the first day, because obviously jail isn't really all that
pleasant. The video has mostly negative comments, like "dumb
hillbilly pretending to act gangster," "tweaker" or "this song sucks balls"
and just disapproval of the song's lyrics and melody.

Personally I don't really like the song, and of course it's super cheesy, but he's kind of a genius for making a music video like that and getting a lot of attention locally for it.

Lamm has been in and out of jail since his young adulthood.
Lamm is actually currently in jail now and has been in there sinceSeptember for felony vehicle theft and receiving stolen property for allegedly stealing cars, alongwith another guy. According to the local jail site, he violated his parole, so
he is not given any bail and might have to do a number of years,
probably even over a decade, but he's a repeat felon.

He said he served 2 or 3 years in San Quentin on another site which I can't find right now. From what I've also heard
online, he served the 2 years for apparently beating an
ex-girlfriend's relative and threatening to kill another person. He's also been arrested and jailed at least twice in the past, apparently for selling marijuana, possession of heroin, burglarizing people's backyards, and illegally carrying a firearm in his car and failing to show up for court.

The music vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42KHLbgQKp8

Is He an Idiot or Genius?

I don't mind the song, but I don't really see what about it makes him stand out as an idiot or genius. I think it's the statement "Personally I don't really like the song, and of course it's super cheesy, but he's kind of a genius for making a music video like that and getting a lot of attention locally for it" that's confusing me a bit, what do you mean by 'a music video like [this]'?

BBS Signature

rap is religion for _,_,_,_,_,_,_.

Response to Is He an Idiot or Genius? 2014-10-25 12:44:15

Didn't Hip Hop kill rap?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Is He an Idiot or Genius? 2014-10-25 15:44:36

Anyway, I don't know where the fuck OP is going with this thread, so far it all looks pretty pointless. Song is alright, beat is meh, and the video looks like another corny, unoriginal, low-budget " my posse and I are so hard because we can stand around doing nothing in the ghetto for a few hours" video. I don't know about genius, but by his arrest record he definitely sounds like an idiot. He looks and sounds like Mac Lethal if he had down syndrome. Probably OP's cousin who he lied about not knowing either to hide his motives for promoting the video or because he's simply embarrassed by him.

At 10/25/14 12:44 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Didn't Hip Hop kill rap?

A lot of different people make up different, but stupid, differences between rap and hip hop, but they're really the same for the most part.

Hip Hop (not the capitals is a cultural movement originating from 1970's New York, while hip hop and rap is the type of music commonly associated with that movement. I guess if there -had- to be a difference, it would be that hip hop is the signature style of the instrumentals/beats and that "rapping" is the signature vocal performance consisting of sped-up rhyming. Meh, I just call it all rap. That's what most people did but some want to force a difference like "Ohhh if it's mainstream then it's rap and if it's REAL music then it's hip hop." Lol fucking retarded if you ask me, but whatever.

Response to Is He an Idiot or Genius? 2014-10-25 17:21:38

At 10/25/14 03:44 PM, CiviLies wrote: Anyway, I don't know where the fuck OP is going with this thread, so far it all looks pretty pointless. Song is alright, beat is meh, and the video looks like another corny, unoriginal, low-budget " my posse and I are so hard because we can stand around doing nothing in the ghetto for a few hours" video. I don't know about genius, but by his arrest record he definitely sounds like an idiot. He looks and sounds like Mac Lethal if he had down syndrome. Probably OP's cousin who he lied about not knowing either to hide his motives for promoting the video or because he's simply embarrassed by him.

I just thought it was so bad it was funny enough to promote.

Also most of my cousins are not American and barely speak English, and my cousins that are Americans are in their pre-teens I think, and I don't even know them. So you're wrong about that.

Response to Is He an Idiot or Genius? 2014-10-25 17:49:30

At 10/25/14 05:21 PM, BigFatKid wrote: So you're wrong about that.

lel figured as much