00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Altongoodbottle just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Idea For an animated series

727 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

New Idea For an animated series 2014-09-23 01:53:09

Basically i need some animators a few writers especially those well versed in poems metaphor and idioms for this idea.
The basic plotline revolves around a guy people refer to as wayward James who has a mental illness referred to as Literalis or literalitis of which causes him to take obvious metaphors, and things that should be taken with a grain of salt and takes it to a literal degree. The idea is that it will revolve around james doing things that are illegal with the results being comedic due to the fact that he was told to do things. The first episode will revolve around James attempting to steal a plane because his boss told him to "take a plane" to a business meeting elsewhere. Since I sorta wanna direct it I'll give a general gyst of what I want for the episode and writers and animators will create the rest of the cast and storyline based on this gyst. I'll give important facts about James for episodes and if it doesn't seem too funny tell me and we'll see if we can't brainstorm. If anyone is interested in the idea. All swearing and anything not exactly child friendly will be censored such things like swearing will end up cutoff by something that happens inside the animation for example a truck blows it's horn as it passes by to cut off a someone about to cuss. Anything regarding severed limbs will reflect the grim adventures of billy and mandy since there will be no blood save for such rare occassions as blood banks if or when they appear. In any case if you're interested umm I guess you could sign up. Production bloopers such as animation, voice acting, and anything in general will be produced in separate episodes umm pretty much anything comedic or generally funny. The bloopers will be compiled into single episode seasons "if we get that far" the episodes of bloopers revolve around those of the entire season it came from. But if they aren't as popular as the series they can be cut out if you guys all agree. Umm I'm not really sure how to go about getting you guys uh signed up for a collaboration work. Alternatively since this we could add a hidden button or perhaps something obvious that gives access to bloopers during episode production.

Response to New Idea For an animated series 2014-12-08 22:35:00

Does anybody even care that i want to try and be a part of the community for once sigh my ideas are always underappreciated. I figured i could start off having small part and as i get the hang off things take a more active role in the actual collaboration. But i see that will never happen...

This is lengthy but will save you time and effort in the long run, saving you from experiencing this disappointment again.

ichinzen wrote:

Basically i need some animators a few writers especially those well versed in poems metaphor and idioms for this idea.

What's stopping you from writing figurative poetry yourself for your project? Don't misunderstand me, I enjoy the idea of a man who takes everything literally (Buddha knows life is overflowing with minions like that), but it truly sounds like you want people to flesh out and execute your vaguest of ideas for you, while you... do.... something.

Let me ask the obvious: have you made a Flash animation before?

I suggest you write a script, any script. Good, bad, funny, boring, a script. A more fleshed-out idea of the first Flash than "James gets on a plane and goes somewhere because he has a disease."

I can tell you're digging the entire "deleted scenes" aspect of comedy TV shows, how they recap the entire season's blooper reels and mishaps before starting the new season, but your approach is really not the way to go about seeing your desires become something more than your daydreams.

Think about Happy Tree Friends. It's a bunch of cute fluffy animals killing each other. Anybody can think (and has thought) of that--what the writers did was compose initial scripts themselves of how the adorable fluffballs brutally slaughtered each other to boisterous balls of ploofy bits, then they presented the finished script to other people who could understand what the hell "cute things dying" meant. It's the same scenario with "James takes things literally."

Does anybody even care that i want to try and be a part of the community for once

Certainly. I rarely post, but have asked (privately) several important animators for advice and help with animating, which they generously provided me with some (badly needed) knowledge. I asked them to steer me towards the right way of doing things; they helped me, like some artists do, like I'm trying to help you out (I've been a poet/writer for 8 years with an affinity for figurative imagery).

I'm going to assume this topic was ignored primarily due to your demand for other people to do your work for you--work you are entirely capable of doing yourself, with time and practice. Seriously, man, you can do all of this on your own. I beliiiiieeeve you can!

VAs have supplied me with clips for a Christmas flash sight unseen, because I respectfully asked for their talent. I've participated in 3 collabs and have 1 solo Flash; my work isn't great, but I've made Flash that shows I'm actively participating in animating, and that their time isn't being wasted. A lot of work, effort, and time goes into making art. Artists have more mental breakdowns than 'normal' people because we're helpless to submit to the Creative Force that pushes us to do what we love, you know. History is full of artists that committed suicide.

I'll give a general gyst of what I want for the episode.

With this project, you're telling people what to do. You made the exact same topic in the Animations forum: same wall of text, same demands. What are you offering to this project other than being the "director" and supplier of "x happens to James" ideas?

I've seen (from the shadows) a number of creative ideas go unmade because the "wanna-be director" had no desire to figure out the mechanics themselves. Nobody likes being whipped to do something, man. Well. Most people.

and as i get the hang off things take a more active role in the actual collaboration. But i see that will never happen...

The reason certain collabs work is due to the liberation each personal human is afforded with their part; people are much more willing to jump on board if they feel like they're contributing in their own way to something. A girl wakes up in a room, for example. Girl wakes up in a room. Where do you take it from there? It's your choice now! A girl wakes up in a room, she eats a banana. The banana turns into a clock that bops her on the head because it's 5:36AM and she hasn't slept. The clock then turns into a mattress.

TLDR: "I'll give a general gyst of what I want for the episode and writers and animators will create the rest"

If you want to be a part of the community, telling the community what to create---while having no portfolio of your work---isn't a productive way of being a part of it.

Umm I'm not really sure how to go about getting you guys uh signed up for a collaboration work.

Presenting a more interesting, fleshed-out idea, and asking respectfully mightbe a possible way. ;)

I hope I don't have to edit this since it's 5:40AM and I've pissed out the last remnants of coffee to do much editing.
Dammit I had to edit.

Response to New Idea For an animated series 2014-12-09 08:40:34

At 12/9/14 05:41 AM, FourCigarettes wrote:

This. I was going to reply in full myself but you've saved me the trouble.

Basically nobody wants to read a wall of text, and although your idea isn't terrible you aren't providing much in terms of structure, project brief, style requirements, storyboards or budget, I'm guessing you're not paying?

Believe me absolutely every animator who is serious enough to animate this project properly for you already has a million potential ideas that they do not have time to work on themselves. Coming up with an idea is about 5% of the creative process, the real hard work is the animation and the refinement, so you aren't offering a appealing opportunity to most people on here.

The flash trial is free and there's everything you need to know about how to animate In tutorials available for free on YouTube, I suggest if you're passionate about the idea then have a stab at making it yourself

BBS Signature

I lack poetic ability alright and as for writing im only somewhat good with sci-fi and fantasy, humor is something i have less of im not asking for ppl to write my story im actually good at coming up with ideas. My problem is i find things funny that most ppl normally wouldn't. Im all up for brainstorming a script but making the humor as well as getting it to work in certain situations not ro mention timing the humor properly are qualities I lack. I also lack a lot of knowledge of how to make it so that a joke is subtle enough that only certain target audiences will get the joke while the show is mostly targeting separate audiences. An example is subtle adult humor in a children's show, it'll fly right past the children without them noticing it but any adult watching it will get it and not worry about their children picking up the subtle humor.

I have creative ability this is true but I lack the ability to put the ideas in visible form. This is especially true for drawing let alone animation as i lack patience; a vital trait for any animator. The animators put my idea onto visual form while the writers brainstorm with me into putting that idea into a structured written form. Writing is easy for me it's mostly structure that I lack when composing thoughts. Almost any writing i've done was difficult for me to compose into a structured thought.

My creative ability works well when limited which is best seen in video games. Designing ships with limited space, creative strategies, and managing limited resources in creative ways are easy for me. Those are case where my ideas are well structured, but remove the limited space or resources then my thoughts aren't focused save for strategy but im less inventive with my strategies.

Perhaps im too creative for me to properly structure my thoughts, and setting limitations on what i can do with a certain issue aids me by limiting creativity by a certain amount. Either way too much freedom makes my thoughts unstructured and too many limits makes idea creation too difficult. My only alternative is to brainstorm with other writers and hopefully come up with a well structured script. Otherwise you get poorly structured writing from me.

I'd gladly participate in refinement and writers get a lot of creativity as well as animators. A general gyst for what i want is humor of on aforementioned things as well as vg jokes in the form of a convention which features a different genre each time.

Response to New Idea For an animated series 2014-12-18 15:44:36

Greetings from Minty Fresh Thoughts! I have read your idea and I think it is exactly what i am looking for to take part in since I like to collaborate on anything that is comedic. I have a high level of animation skill as well as music making, writing, and just art in general. I would love to help you out with this project as I think it is a great idea and it will help both of us get our names out there and to start creating some great works of art and animation. That being said... I just want to let you know that I have a higher reputation outside of Newgrounds world, but I would like the basis of what where I start to gain popularity off of Newgrounds because it is an amazing website that unleashes the abilities of creative people to showcase their work and skills of all types of media in one place. So If you would like to consider having me as a partner to collaborate on this idea you have then I would be more than happy to take part in it! I think we could both benefit from it and once you see how great of a person I am to work with, then you may want to progress further into the animation scene. If you have any questions or comments then send me a message and I will respond as soon as possible! Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!

At 9/23/14 01:53 AM, ichinzen wrote: Basically i need some animators a few writers especially those well versed in poems metaphor and idioms for this idea.
The basic plotline revolves around a guy people refer to as wayward James who has a mental illness referred to as Literalis or literalitis of which causes him to take obvious metaphors, and things that should be taken with a grain of salt and takes it to a literal degree. The idea is that it will revolve around james doing things that are illegal with the results being comedic due to the fact that he was told to do things. The first episode will revolve around James attempting to steal a plane because his boss told him to "take a plane" to a business meeting elsewhere. Since I sorta wanna direct it I'll give a general gyst of what I want for the episode and writers and animators will create the rest of the cast and storyline based on this gyst. I'll give important facts about James for episodes and if it doesn't seem too funny tell me and we'll see if we can't brainstorm. If anyone is interested in the idea. All swearing and anything not exactly child friendly will be censored such things like swearing will end up cutoff by something that happens inside the animation for example a truck blows it's horn as it passes by to cut off a someone about to cuss. Anything regarding severed limbs will reflect the grim adventures of billy and mandy since there will be no blood save for such rare occassions as blood banks if or when they appear. In any case if you're interested umm I guess you could sign up. Production bloopers such as animation, voice acting, and anything in general will be produced in separate episodes umm pretty much anything comedic or generally funny. The bloopers will be compiled into single episode seasons "if we get that far" the episodes of bloopers revolve around those of the entire season it came from. But if they aren't as popular as the series they can be cut out if you guys all agree. Umm I'm not really sure how to go about getting you guys uh signed up for a collaboration work. Alternatively since this we could add a hidden button or perhaps something obvious that gives access to bloopers during episode production.

New Idea For an animated series

Response to New Idea For an animated series 2014-12-20 01:25:00

The biggest problem about this is it almost comes off almost as a scam. You have no previous animations, previous art, or previous writing anywhere on your page. The fact is you're an "idea guy". Don't be an idea guy. Anyone can be an idea guy and be good at it. You claim that you have creative ability but you need a sort of portfolio of stuff to back that up if you want people to dedicate time to your ideas. Just do something that shows you have skills for this sort of thing, even if its just a simple weekly poem or something along those lines.

If you want to appeal to more people on this project specifically make a script now that some of the writers can help you edit later or even make storyboards for the animation. They don't have to be perfect but it shows you have a plan not just an "idea".

Response to New Idea For an animated series 2014-12-24 05:17:56

Creative ability itself is to be able to create stories, however all my stories are visual and audio in my head and scenery description is an area of writing i lack the most so it's difficult for my to make into a story i'd actually need someone to do the writing while i tell them the visual and audio. Another reason is i'm reluctant to say any more as i have trust issues. It wouldn't be the first time some1 took my idea and made it their own, some1 with a better ability to write and stuff no less. That last sentence makes me sound paranoid but im being cautious about who i tell this about, after all it's happened 7 times not counting the other 13 during high school.

Response to New Idea For an animated series 2014-12-30 22:57:36

You just have to practice man. Nobody on newgrounds started out good at any of those things. They're all skills that we acquired through practice, practice, and even more practice. If you want to reach out to other creators you gotta be one yourself and if trust is an issue maybe collaboration isn't your thing.