00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiichigoInu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New To This Stuff (help!!)

1,405 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

New To This Stuff (help!!) 2014-09-21 17:45:38

Starting programming!
So, I'm starting programming. I am wanting to start with either Python or Java but I am very confused, I have been researching both of these languages and I have found out that they're both good starting languages (or so it's said). I also have been confused about which will be better for small 2D projects, starting with side scrollers then improving for when I have the skills to. My end goal is to make a small, simple but fun 2D RPG that i can let my friends and I play. Which of these will be best to start off with and to make my goal with, if it will require a different language, which should i start with and then what should i move onto afterwards? please help.

fingibbo

Response to New To This Stuff (help!!) 2014-09-21 17:52:06

At 9/21/14 05:45 PM, fingibbo wrote: Starting programming!
So, I'm starting programming. I am wanting to start with either Python or Java but I am very confused, I have been researching both of these languages and I have found out that they're both good starting languages (or so it's said). I also have been confused about which will be better for small 2D projects, starting with side scrollers then improving for when I have the skills to. My end goal is to make a small, simple but fun 2D RPG that i can let my friends and I play. Which of these will be best to start off with and to make my goal with, if it will require a different language, which should i start with and then what should i move onto afterwards? please help.

EDIT: Also for everything I will be making, I will also be doing the art it but I will be getting music off a Non copyrighted music sight i.e. Incompetech

fingibbo

Response to New To This Stuff (help!!) 2014-09-21 20:48:27

It really depends on how you want to implement the game. Java and Python both run primarily on the server, and can both be implemented to create desktop applications as well. Java can be run inside a browser as a service as well. If you are just starting with programming, I would honestly start out with Javascript, which can be run in the browser easily, requires no real setup, and will get most of the proper programming practices down before you move to other languages that require a higher learning curve or installation process. Do not start learning programming by trying to build a desktop application, get the basic stuff down like using loops and conditional statements before you worry about having to install things, instantiate dependencies, etc. or else you are going to drive yourself nuts trying to learn because there are a lot more things that can go wrong and you will not yet have the experience to know whether it is a problem with your code, a missing resource, or some other conflict. Javascript is also very similar to AS3 from Flash (they are both built on the EMCA specification), so if you are already somewhat familiar with actionscript it will not be a huge jump. You can also learn namespacing, object and variable scope, and a lot of other very useful things easily, and you can tinker with your code directly from the console in your browser to find bugs instead of having to do it in your IDE/editor and test the entire project over again each time you tweak something. Once you have some of the core skills down, I would move to a server side or compiled language at that point.

FB | Blog

If you ever wondered who to blame for your problems, find a mirror.

BBS Signature

Response to New To This Stuff (help!!) 2014-09-22 02:41:09

So should I start with javascript then? And can i write javascript in an application like notepad++ and if so should I?

fingibbo

Response to New To This Stuff (help!!) 2014-09-24 22:56:10

At 9/22/14 02:41 AM, fingibbo wrote: So should I start with javascript then? And can i write javascript in an application like notepad++ and if so should I?

I say just pick one dude - you're not getting any younger by waiting. If you don't like what you picked months down the line then switch to a different language and a good deal of your experience will carry over and make the transition not as rough.

I decided I wanted to start learning to program at the start of this year. I chose to learn Actionscript 3 as I love working with Flash to handle my art assets. It's been a long, tough year learning it haha but if you are truly passionate about programming and making games then the only limitation that will ever hold you back is yourself.

Also, as you hinted at with your post, be sure to start your projects off very, very small - also do lots of tiny test games to test out new code you learn along the way - and slowly grow your projects as your knowledge grows. Well, that's what I've done anyways (have published two very simple games this year but have done a couple dozen test games to help me learn/reinforce code).

Response to New To This Stuff (help!!) 2014-09-26 07:21:56

I would not suggest javascript as a first language.

As you found out earlier, Python or Java (or C#) etc. are better choices.